• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 expansion announced - Reaper of Souls (New class, new act, darker)

The combat still is top notch from that vid. Hope they fixed the rest of the game. Will get this. And that opening cinematic... They realy have talented artists!

KKRT00

Randomized loot run areas are actually great news.

New skills for all characters were expected, but nice to have them.

For Loot changes we need examples to judge.

Enchanter, we need to see what he can do. If he's only like orb of chaos in PoE thats quite underwhelming, also what with being able to socket items?
------

What about white npcs behavior changes? They need to have elite packs skills to make combat with them more interesting.

What about main stats changes? Expansion would be great way to bring new features to them per class.

What about performance improvements?

No info about changing character skill progression? Absolutely hated that Blizzard choose skills for You every level.

===
Pack it up boys, Diablo III is finally back in the throne of ARPG's.

Yeah, no :) It still seems quite subpar in terms of features and we need to really see that loot changes.

Meia

As a Diablo 1&2 fan who completed 3 once then never touched it again, that sounds like a really smart change to loot. I found so much crap I just stopped caring and I was only changing equipment once or maybe twice an act, I think I've just become much less patient for gratification since the original games.

For me it was a combination of this, lack of randomization, and just the inability to turn your brain off and endlessly farm that did me in.

Oh my God. The first thing Diablo3-wise I've heard in forever which actually... excites me.

And this I couldn't agree more with. :)

Rubius

It feel less than what D2 : LoD gave us. I hope its not a 40$ expansion because...
Here what LoD gave us :
"A fifth act taking place in and around Mount Arreat in the northern Barbarian Highlands, with an additional act boss, Baal.
Ethereal items: These items do not fully exist in the mortal plane and appear translucent to the human eye. Because of this, they cannot be repaired and will eventually "deteriorate", so they cannot be used anymore, but they also have better characteristics and lower requirements than their repairable equivalents. However, some magical ethereal items are self-repairing, and some have sockets, and can be made indestructible by inserting a Zod rune.
Runes: stones that give powerful attributes to a socketed item when placed in it or even more powerful bonuses when placed in a certain order forming a "runeword" (see Rune Words section below for more information).
Jewels: items serving a similar purpose to gems in that they can be placed in socketed items, but which have random characteristics as opposed to the set characteristics of gems and runes.
Charms: items giving boosts to character's stats when kept in the inventory of the player.
Two new character classes: the Assassin and the Druid.
An expanded private stash for storing items (double the size of the Diablo II stash).
An alternate mainhand/offhand setup that can be switched between via a hotkey in gameplay.
Hirelings as well as summons can now follow the player outside of the Act in which they were hired. They can also be equipped with armor, a helm, and a hireling-specific weapon (as well as a shield in one case). Hirelings can also be resurrected (for a price proportional to their level) when killed.
Class-specific items: new items that only a specific character class can use. These items often contain class-specific bonuses, often adding additional skill points for that character class.
Elite items: more powerful versions of items following the Normal and Exceptional items.
New unique items, including many Exceptional and Elite Uniques.
New set items, including sets that use Class-specific items (i.e. only one character class can complete certain sets).
The game can now be played at 800x600 resolution, up from the standard 640x480."

Compared to a new class, a new act and some new loot and some features, it seem weak. No Runes, no jewels, no charms, no etheral items.

Moff

Malthael was only mentioned in D3, right?
I remember people guessing that the "missing" angel will be the addons villain, is that him?

will the highest paragon level of your characters be the Paragon 2.0 setting or will it be reset?

Perkel

Banned
Looks like they did nothing to damage from weapon >>> skill power mechanic.. ehh.

Changes are good but still mechanically without above it won't be as exciting as D2.

+ I need to see story and actual act. D3 had Good act 1 (sans butterfly magic), bad act 2, horrible act 3 and totally shity act 4.

They have my interest.

It feel less than what D2 : LoD gave us. I hope its not a 40$ expansion because...
Here what LoD gave us :
"A fifth act taking place in and around Mount Arreat in the northern Barbarian Highlands, with an additional act boss, Baal.
Ethereal items: These items do not fully exist in the mortal plane and appear translucent to the human eye. Because of this, they cannot be repaired and will eventually "deteriorate", so they cannot be used anymore, but they also have better characteristics and lower requirements than their repairable equivalents. However, some magical ethereal items are self-repairing, and some have sockets, and can be made indestructible by inserting a Zod rune.
Runes: stones that give powerful attributes to a socketed item when placed in it or even more powerful bonuses when placed in a certain order forming a "runeword" (see Rune Words section below for more information).
Jewels: items serving a similar purpose to gems in that they can be placed in socketed items, but which have random characteristics as opposed to the set characteristics of gems and runes.
Charms: items giving boosts to character's stats when kept in the inventory of the player.
An expanded private stash for storing items (double the size of the Diablo II stash).
An alternate mainhand/offhand setup that can be switched between via a hotkey in gameplay.
Hirelings as well as summons can now follow the player outside of the Act in which they were hired. They can also be equipped with armor, a helm, and a hireling-specific weapon (as well as a shield in one case). Hirelings can also be resurrected (for a price proportional to their level) when killed.
Class-specific items: new items that only a specific character class can use. These items often contain class-specific bonuses, often adding additional skill points for that character class.
Elite items: more powerful versions of items following the Normal and Exceptional items.
New set items, including sets that use Class-specific items (i.e. only one character class can complete certain sets).
The game can now be played at 800x600 resolution, up from the standard 640x480."

Compared to a new class, a new act and some new loot and some features, it seem weak. No Runes, no jewels, no charms, no etheral items.

Yeah this looks more like bigger patch than expansion. You also forgot 2 classes instead of 1.

Some of the system changes sound nice (though I'd agree with the above post on the weapon damage issue) and the loot runs are a feature in practically every hack and slash RPG now so why not? However hopefully they include more than 1 new class in the end, ToB had included 2 after all.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Here what LoD gave us :

they've obviously got multiple expansions planned for this. they're going to endlessly expand the same game with small increments.

diablo iv probably won't happen for 15 years, but we'll have like 10 expansions before then.

JNT

I didn't particularly like the direction D3 took in comparison to the previous two, but the hype was fun. Think I'll jump on the hype train one more time...

Nocturno999

"Loot runs: 15-20min entirely randomized dungeons for endgame."

8w0.gif

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
didnt blizzard say before that the other paragon change is you can put the points of what you would get at that paragon level into what u want ?

Rubius

Pack it up boys, Diablo III is finally back in the throne of ARPG's.

Path of Exile have maps too for endgame, each with different attributes. It should have been in the whole game from beginning. Its the main reason why I dont want to replay D3, the map layout is always the same and only somewhat different in dungeons.
map_rare.png

Rubius

they've obviously got multiple expansions planned for this. they're going to endlessly expand the same game with small increments.

diablo iv probably won't happen for 15 years, but we'll have like 10 expansions before then.

Except that we are shafted in the content. We will pay 30-40$ for an expansion who contain about a 1/3, maybe less of what LoD contained. Hell, most of the content is simply 2.0 patch and not expansion specific, like the loot and the paragon levels.

And LoD gave new content in patches years after with the Uber bosses too.

KKRT00

Path of Exile have maps too for endgame, each with different attributes. It should have been in the whole game from beginning. Its the main reason why I dont want to replay D3, the map layout is always the same and only somewhat different in dungeons.
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/public/chris/map_rare.png

Yep, quality and depth of loot runs area and loot changes will make this expansion awful, decent, good or great.

We need details and price. I'm not paying 40E for that, not a chance.

===
Why is everyone freaking out over loot runs? The randomization? Because you can totally do a "loot run" right now...

And fall asleep thousand of times in those 15-20 minutes.

ElyrionX

Wanted new skills and levels for existing classes but wasn't expecting it so I am pleasantly surprised.

Changes look good. Day one for me.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"Better loot system! We promise!" So, you're admitting the loot system is still shit? Why don't you fix it now?

Expansion 3: better-er loot system! Expansion 4: Better-er-er loot system!

It's the same tired string a long they do with WoW. Solution to improve your experience next year! Or never (removing AH).

kanuuna

I thought III was alright, and this seems alright. I'm a sucker for Blizzard's stuff anyway, I'm pretty much sold on a CE already. And that opening cinematic? Exquisite.

Opiate

Well this certainly confronts a huge number of the issues people had with the game head on, but the AH remains the unfixable problem in the center of it all.

I personally enjoy the AH, but very clearly its existence if divisive and I'm quite sure some people will still not be interested even if everything else in the game is "fixed."

Perkel

Banned
Why is everyone freaking out over loot runs? The randomization? Because you can totally do a "loot run" right now...

Except after even after patches it is still using same non randomized world, and loot you get is mostly crap. It is better than vanilla but still compared to T2 or PoE is shit.

Good that they finally will use Legendary items to change build mechanics.

Noobs devs learned something.

Oh my. Looks like stats allocations will make return. With 2 or more expansion they may even reduce stat effects on skills ! That would mean game would be finally mechanically exciting.

Except that we are shafted in the content. We will pay 30-40$ for an expansion who contain about a 1/3, maybe less of what LoD contained. Hell, most of the content is simply 2.0 patch and not expansion specific, like the loot and the paragon levels.

And LoD gave new content in patches years after with the Uber bosses too.

Ubers are for free in D3 without an expansion...

Rubius

Well this certainly confronts a huge number of the issues people had with the game head on, but the AH remains the unfixable problem in the center of it all.

I personally enjoy the AH, but very clearly its existence if divisive and I'm quite sure some people will still not be interested even if everything else in the game is "fixed."

What annoy me is that meanwhile the Ps4 is getting a AH less game. Cant they simply do a AH and non AH category for servers?

Majine

Banned
Is the fact that they are showing the opening cinematic already pointing towards this coming out relatively soon?

Tacitus_

That weapon posted earlier was marked 'account bound'. Will be interesting if they go through with it, though I didn't mind the AH as it simplified trading a ton from D2.

Rubius

Ubers are for free in D3 without an expansion...

Except that it was not free. You paid for the game, and I do hope they added some new bosses because the vanilla selection was lacking.

I really dont know if I want to buy this. I cant get myself to replay the game. Not after playing Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile. Its like going from WoW to Everquest 2.

Top Bottom