• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 - Necromancer Pack - June 27th - $14.99

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So Eternal Collection is digital only on consoles? I was thinking about picking it up but I'll just pass if that's the case.

Woorloog

Banned
Druid does seem more likely, there isn't really another class similar to druid in the way that the D3 classes take some inspiration from the D2 classes . They also name drop Skovos with the implication that something has happened there which could've hinted at an Amazon return but who knows if that was ever anything more than a fun reference. They've also had a Necro NPC in the game for a long time, since release even I think? Hard to say what they might've done.

Druid would be a hybrid summoner-melee class or something like that? I can't actually recall how it is in Diablo 2, never played that game very extensively.

Amazon as it is probably wouldn't be a viable class as they're female-only i think?

Maledict

Druid would be a hybrid summoner-melee class or something like that? I can't actually recall how it is in Diablo 2, never played that game very extensively.

Amazon as it is probably wouldn't be a viable class as they're female-only i think?

Druids were basically three classes in one. Elemental ranged damage, shapeshifting melee or a pet class.

Arkeband

Banned
Considering all of the free support they've given the game, I'd hardly call this being greedy, anyway.

When you pay 40 or 60 dollars for a Diablo game up front, that comes with the promise that they are also supporting it with content patches every so often, as they do with every other game they release. It's why their games typically have so much value, because they foster a healthy online environment by carefully providing additional gameplay and curating things like leaderboards and seasons. It's not some act of charity on their behalf, this is how it was in D2, they'd release a patches with items and monsters and maintain a competitive online environment for players. There was no one saying "man I wish I could throw money their way for this!" because they already had.

No one buys a Blizzard game thinking "this is the final version of the game", they buy it knowing that a year down the road Blizzard will still be adding little things to it to keep it relatively fresh.

TheYanger

When you pay 40 or 60 dollars for a Diablo game up front, that comes with the promise that they are also supporting it with content patches every so often, as they do with every other game they release. It's why their games typically have so much value, because they foster a healthy online environment by carefully providing additional gameplay and curating things like leaderboards and seasons. It's not some act of charity on their behalf, this is how it was in D2, they'd release a patches with items and monsters and maintain a competitive online environment for players. There was no one saying "man I wish I could throw money their way for this!" because they already had.

No one buys a Blizzard game thinking "this is the final version of the game", they buy it knowing that a year down the road Blizzard will still be adding little things to it to keep it relatively fresh.

Diablo 2 patches are nowhere even remotely approaching the amount of content even single D3 patches have had after the fact. The largest patch D2 ever had added synergies, new legendaries, and a dozen new runewords. That's it. No new tilesets were ever added to the game. No new systems. Nothing. New items, and new uberbosses. There are your 'free' D2 patches.

TheYanger

I mean...that's gotta be a sarcastic troll right? coming from a Hearthstone card name and avatar IE: another battle.net game.

KKRT00

An entire new class is not some map pack. How can some of you say that 15 dollars is to much?

It's a new freaking class. If you're invested in the game, that is a lot of gameplay that is potentially interesting to you. On the other hand, its not locked behind new areas or story which forces you to pay for a class you're not interested in.

IMO a new class could easily be 20-30 dollars given the amount of hours that went into RnD and prepreduction, design, animtion, effects, ui, testing and qa. A staggering amount of people are usually involved to bring a new class to lie, and it takes the work of nearly every department from sound engineering to networking to programming to get a new class to work. You're talking about many thousands of collaborative work.

This is not like some minor thing that a bunch of map designers or modellers conjured up in a few weeks. A new class is a big deal. 15 dollars is a very competitive price.

Now, I've not tried the class, so I cannot speak to its quality in specific, but generally speaking you get a new class in a 40-60 dollars expansion and that is seen as a major feature. So it's hard for me to see how 15 is too much.
This has to be a joke post.
I think you need to check mods or other games if you really think the price is fair.

If Blizzard would enable the modding tools like they did in Starcraft, you would have 10 more classes for free years ago from the community for free.

Dark_castle

I have had a great time with D3, but I don't think I will ever come back to it again after having recently starting playing PoE. D3 at the current meta state also really bugs me with the ridiculous power creeping and lack of build variety/over reliance on class sets.

TheYanger

This has to be a joke post.
I think you need to check mods or other games if you really think the price is fair.

If Blizzard would enable the modding tools like they did in Starcraft, you would have 10 more classes for free years ago from the community for free.

You could say literally any game could allow modding. Starcraft didn't have strong 'modding tools' built into the game, it had a powerful map editor and unit editor but that's not the same thing either. If any post is a joke it's the notion that somehow not having a built in way for people to create their own classes is somehow some crazy thing that every game has except for Diablo 3.

If this included a new act or something I'd maybe bite, but you can only grind the same content so many times for so many hundreds of hours lol

gruenel

This gets the award for one of the shittiest DLC values of all time. It's like you need to take a cold shower and think about what you've done after you buy it.
Lol at the hyperbole here. It's 15 bucks, not a mortgage payment. That's less than a visit to the cinema.

8byte

Banned

This post is just dripping with entitlement.

The game got tons of support that wasn't guaranteed or promised, regardless of what they had done for past titles. Realistically they owe you nothing after the base content for free.

There is nothing wrong with their pricing here.

KKRT00

You could say literally any game could allow modding. Starcraft didn't have strong 'modding tools' built into the game, it had a powerful map editor and unit editor but that's not the same thing either. If any post is a joke it's the notion that somehow not having a built in way for people to create their own classes is somehow some crazy thing that every game has except for Diablo 3.

Till Diablo 3 every Blizzard game was moddable and SC modding tool was good enough to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9lUDntnY4

Blizzard has even talked about full marketplace for mods in SC back in the day and great focus on improving their current SC modding tools. If they follow this idea and pass it to Diablo this DLC would be laughable.

I can appreciate that people are excited but honestly, I am just so tired of the gameplay loop in D3 of seasons upon seasons of rift farming that at this point I'm just waiting for the eventual D4 announcement.

Even with the new class, the Rifting just kills it for me.

kuYuri

PoE fans entering Diablo 3 threads to then shit on the game and talk up PoE is the definition of a shit post.

Remember when Blizzard games had expansion packs like:

Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Starcraft: Brood War

Hell, even Diablo III had Reaper of Souls.

But I guess now the way forward is Activision Call of Duty style DLC for games instead of the classic Blizzard expansion pack. $15 for a new class, yikes. It was only $30 for Reaper of Souls at release.

It was $40 on release actually.

Cels

i think it's kind of expensive (i thought maybe it would be $10 but did expect $15) but i'll buy it anyway because i'm a sucker

This post is just dripping with entitlement.

The game got tons of support that wasn't guaranteed or promised, regardless of what they had done for past titles. Realistically they owe you nothing after the base content for free.

There is nothing wrong with their pricing here.

well technically they owed us PvP because that was supposed to be in the so-called "base content" but was delayed to hit the ship date. we then got brawling as a placeholder but nothing else after that

espher

RoS came with one long Act(the biggest by far), one additional character and the new Adventure mode(that beats having to do the campaign over and over again) which I'm pretty sure is not accessible with the original game. I think it was worth it at that price.

It's a shame all the acts in D3 were terrible.

Adventure mode was worth the price of admission for RoS, though.

Saerk

i think it's kind of expensive (i thought maybe it would be $10 but did expect $15) but i'll buy it anyway because i'm a sucker

well technically they owed us PvP because that was supposed to be in the so-called "base content" but was delayed to hit the ship date. we then got brawling as a placeholder but nothing else after that

Surprised the didn't just release the PvP they had implemented at Blizzcon. I remember playing that before the game was released, so when the game shipped without it I was surprised.

ironmang

Oh wow they still haven't added it properly? Crazy since PvP is possibly the biggest reason D2 did and still does have such an active community for so long. People weren't farming to maximize Baal runs, they were doing it to get the gear required to survive an extra hammer or fireball or bone spear.

Berordn

It's a shame all the acts in D3 were terrible.

Adventure mode was worth the price of admission for RoS, though.

Act 1 has its moments, at least early. Act 4 isn't terrible either but that's largely attributed to its length.

Act 5 is probably the only one I'd call good though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Price sounds fine, I cant believe how cheap some people are being.

DLC pack in any other game that has a few cosmetics and QoL features for $15: whatever, no one cares. Buy it or don't, vote with your wallet etc.

DLC pack in D3 that has a few cosmetic, QoL features, and a new class: LOL WHAT A RIPOFF GET FUKT BLIZZDRONES

It makes sense, you just gotta take off your BLIZZDRONE glasses.

Cels

Oh wow they still haven't added it properly? Crazy since PvP is possibly the biggest reason D2 did and still does have such an active community for so long. People weren't farming to maximize Baal runs, they were doing it to get the gear required to survive an extra hammer or fireball or bone spear.

yeah, it's a shame that Diablo 3 PvP is most likely dead and probably will never happen. People kept bugging them about it over the years and they'd respond once in a while saying they would talk about it in meetings and stuff but getting things into a mode that they find fun was hard.

Josh Mosqueira, then-game director in August 2013

"I think the challenge, and what we're trying to find, is that Diablo III feels great moment-to-moment because it's a game that's really built around one player versus a horde of monsters. So there's a lot of [area of effect], a lot of control abilities, and the combat really works. But when it's put into player-versus-player, it really stresses those systems. We're experimenting. We're trying to figure out the right combination of things so that, at one point, we'll be able to say, 'Here we are!' That's going to be a really happy day for the community, and for the team as well."

i'm assuming they've stopped even trying to figure it out or experimenting with anything by now

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah PvP in D3 is fucking dead. Never going to happen. I'm sure they will try something for D4 though.

espher

Act 1 has its moments, at least early. Act 4 isn't terrible either but that's largely attributed to its length.

Act 5 is probably the only one I'd call good though.

I played them all for the first time back-to-back and I think after the downer that the first 4 were the 5th didn't resonate as strongly with me as it wound have with a gap in between.

I was literally praying for it to end so I could just say I finished the story and move on, haha.

PoEs new content is cool, but face it. Everyone's going to run it once then just plow through it asap to get to mapping. At least D3 cuts out the BS and just lets you go straight to rifts/bounties in seasons.

Let's really face it. Everyone is just going to power level to 70 and get all of their gear within a few hours and finish the season challenges.

Anoregon

Let's really face it. Everyone is just going to power level to 70 and get all of their gear within a few hours and finish the season challenges.

It's almost as if both games focus on max-level gear farming and build tweaking to become more effective at beating more difficult content.

"Blizzard Drone" - sorry, but LOTS of people don't enjoy Path of Exile. Diablo 3 is a fantastic game, the notion that someone would prefer it (seemingly many people) being reduced to "LOL blizz drone" is ridiculous. Could just as easily call you a PoE drone, it would be just as pedantic then.

Call me when PoE actually becomes fun to play.

Exactly.

$15 is a steal. It's worth it to it have to be bored out of my mind playing mundane shit like PoE.

ironmang

yeah, it's a shame that Diablo 3 PvP is most likely dead and probably will never happen. People kept bugging them about it over the years and they'd respond once in a while saying they would talk about it in meetings and stuff but getting things into a mode that they find fun was hard.

Josh Mosqueira, then-game director in August 2013

i'm assuming they've stopped even trying to figure it out or experimenting with anything by now

PvP doesn't need to be balanced or anything. I don't get why they think it needs to be perfect. Part of D2s charm was that pvp lobbies were basically the wild west. Honest pvpers, nkers, LLDs challenging lvl80s, and usually some asshole druid spamming fissure from town lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't like PoE and I don't understand people who do. The visuals are a poor mans attempt at modern Diablo 2 aesthetic with god awful textures, and the gameplay is floaty.

PoE fucking sucks and i am getting sick and tired these lemmings always spamming POE IS BETTER in diablo 3 threads.

TheYanger

Till Diablo 3 every Blizzard game was moddable and SC modding tool was good enough to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9lUDntnY4

Blizzard has even talked about full marketplace for mods in SC back in the day and great focus on improving their current SC modding tools. If they follow this idea and pass it to Diablo this DLC would be laughable.

SC2 is not Starcraft, which is what was mentioned, and "every blizzard game" is a pretty ridiculous statement: Diablo has literally never had an editor of any kind. The Blizz RTS are renowned for their editing capabilities, but only SC2 lets you go THAT crazy with it either, it's all just an evolution of the map editor that Warcraft 2 shipped with. Wow has a moddable UI, but that's hardly the same as "Making a new class" either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So after reading a bit more, I am thinking of getting back to D3 with the Necromancer pack after all. But would need some advice, since the game has expanded so much.

For context, I am planning to play coop with my wife, both on the new class. We have finished the story mode on Hard or Expert before, I have my L67 barbarian left, but my wife might have lost her character.

We never played anything else than the Story mode, and I don't think we have played the post-PS4 day one areas.

So my questions are

- in the lead up to Necromancer, what would be a good mode for us to play? Redo the Story harder, do the quests on Adventure, or ry some Rifts? Does it matter if I am L67 and she might have to start anew?

- once Necromancer arrives, same question - which mode should we play?

- once the new Season begins, should we restart with that? I have never done Seasons before.

Arkeband

Banned
So they are adding new locations with this.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20845161

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIRWZXi5YvI

Now that I factor in that and the other added things in the patch they didn't include in the paid necro pack, the $15 price for necro doesn't seem that bad.

Why would you justify the $15 price with areas that are free and not included with the Necromancer pack?

All three of these new areas are coming in Patch 2.6.0, completely free to all players with the Reaper of Souls expansion pack or Ultimate Evil Edition of Diablo III.

It'd be funny if the thread preceding it wasn't also filled with wacky rationalizations.

Why would you justify the $15 price with areas that are free and not included with the Necromancer pack?

It'd be funny if the thread preceding it wasn't also filled with wacky rationalizations.

The way the game is built non-narrative zones probably have to be free for all. Also, this draws players that don't want to buy the pack back in, and they get to see the new class in action.

Making new zones isn't something that's done for free, people are paying for the cost of these zones with the Necromancer pack regardless of the fact that they're separate.

Arkeband

Banned
The way the game is built non-narrative zones probably have to be free for all. Also, this draws players that don't want to buy the pack back in, and they get to see the new class in action.

Making new zones isn't something that's done for free, people are paying for the cost of these zones with the Necromancer pack regardless of the fact that they're separate.

Claim: DLC pays for free content

Reality: They added free content without DLC paying for it before this

And let me remind you that:
A) People are buying D3 every month, it isn't like sales of the base game have stopped (and free content is a big reason why it continues to sell)
B) Blizzard has soft gambling mechanics aimed at children in its other games that gives them an insane stream of revenue

Top Bottom