• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's been noted yet, but the guaranteed legendary that got moved from Skeleton King to Diablo got reset with the patch, so go ahead and grab an easy legendary off him with all your characters.

Does it matter what difficulty you grab the legendaries on? Do they roll better at higher difficulties if it is a guaranteed drop?

Effect

Just started playing...finally. I started out with a witch doctor and so far things are okay. However I'm playing on normal and currently at level 14. I'm using the blow dart attack with the multi-shot rune, rabid zombie dogs, and flaming bats as my attacks at the moment. I also have the templar with me. However it feels to easy at times. I don't think I've taken damage once outside of the time I actually stepped away from the computer to grab something. That was the first and last time I used a potion as well I think.

I'm hesitant to upping the game to hard though. I don't mind a challenge. I played Starcraft 2 on hard right out of the gate having played the previous game. I only played Diablo 1 and 2 a little and that was many years ago. However I've played other games like this since (Titan's Quest, Torchlight 2, Path of Exile). I just don't want to screw myself over if it's just this first area (going after the
Skeleton King
now. I think I'm in the area now.) that is easy like this.

How big of a difference is there between normal and hard when just starting out?

Could I drop back down to normal?

Any advice if i do push it to hard?

I seem to be leveling kinda fast. Is the game just overall short or do you just level fast early on and the road from 15 to say 30 will take a lot of time compared to 1 to 14?

Won't be opening my games public until I at least run through the story once. So that is a factor.

Thanks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's a 50% bonus XP event going on right now, so you're going to very quickly outlevel the content. Keep that in mind.

E: To better answer your question, I don't know how the new difficulty system works in terms of bumping it up (you can ALWAYS bump it down), but I remember leveling my WD and finding the game a breeze up to Hell Izual and Rakanoth. With the new XP and loot system, you should be able to start Torment in a few days.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dammit. Any idea when this ends? Might simply wait and start over if I'm going to end up out leveling content during my first run.

Since you're not stranger to loot games, you already know that you'll be running the same content over and over and over. I would honestly bump up the difficulty as soon as you can if challenge is a concern. If I remember right, the original system was a bit like this:

Normal = 1 to low 20's
Nightmare = low 20's to high 40's/low 50's
Hell = low 50's to 60
Inferno = 60

That's typically the level ranges I finished each difficulty in. I think you can bump up the difficulty at any point now, so feel free to play with it. They've made the experience a lot more organic.

Worst case, you can always grind to 60 and start fresh on Torment with the Reset Quests button.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
yeah but SK you had to slog through a bunch of startup. this one you can just tp straight into the boss then jump around and finish quests at your leisure after

Yeah, it's a lot faster to run now. It took a few minutes just to reach SK before - now we just port and we're there.

Vodh

There's a 50% bonus XP event going on right now, so you're going to very quickly outlevel the content. Keep that in mind.

Outlevel the content that levels up with you? Not likely. The old system is gone, now mobs scale up to your level in real time as you level up, so there's no such thing as 'outleveling the content'.

How big of a difference is there between normal and hard when just starting out?

Could I drop back down to normal?

Any advice if i do push it to hard?

I seem to be leveling kinda fast. Is the game just overall short or do you just level fast early on and the road from 15 to say 30 will take a lot of time compared to 1 to 14?

Won't be opening my games public until I at least run through the story once. So that is a factor.

Thanks.

The real chase after loot starts once you hit level 60 anyways. It would be in absolutely no way detrimental to your pleasure even if you hit 60 by the end of act 2 playing on Master with the buff. And once you hit the level cap, you yourself pick whether you want the game to be a breeze or a challenge. Set the difficulty to whatever feels fun and have fun, the old days of requiring multiple playthroughs just to reach the 'endgame' content are gone and there's absolutely nothing you'd be missing out on by leveling slower.

Let me just stress that again: the content levels up with you, outleveling the content simply isn't possible, and there's no detriment to reaching level 60 fast, since you'd be spending most of your time at level 60 anyway.

The only real differences are that you get access to more skills, and are able to drop loot that will last you longer than for the next couple of levels. (although with RoS around the corner, don't expect any loot you get at 60 to hold up to level 70 gear)

That's the idea, they want you to play the hero you want the gear on. That's big reason why Paragon level is account wide now.

The only minor issue with that philosophy is that you can't really use your best character to farm loot for your alt with any hope for efficiency - and let me tell you, my 40k DPS barb doesn't feel great after I switch to him from my 400k DPS wizard.

If it's one or the other, I definitely much prefer smart loot over the old system, but I would definitely welcome an option to disable smart loot when I choose to, for the times when I'd like to gear up my alts while still getting respectable XP and bonus chance for legendaries from Torment.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For anyone who was looking at Druin's elemental damage guide (I mentioned in clan chat), the mechanic with physical skills was apparently a bug.

Hotfixes:
"Skills that deal Physical damage should no longer benefit from items that increase elemental skill damage."

If it's one or the other, I definitely much prefer smart loot over the old system, but I would definitely welcome an option to disable smart loot when I choose to, for the times when I'd like to gear up my alts while still getting respectable XP and bonus chance for legendaries from Torment.

Maybe a compromise would be influencing smart rolls based on your active follower or last chosen follower when playing with friends. What ever character class you have as your follower you could get smart rolls for that class. If I am farming with my DH and want some strength items for a Barb, I would have the Templar as my follower. If I want only dex items, farm with my DH and have the scoundrel. Even though there isn't a WD or Monk follower, being able to limit the core stat (dex,str,int) would help eliminate the worthless wizard wands with dex, etc.

Effect

Thanks! If content simply levels up along side you then there shouldn't be anything to worry about at least on that front. Just the challenge will be different on the harder difficulty. I assume that's a a situation where more enemies are thrown at your or they have more health the higher you go?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The only minor issue with that philosophy is that you can't really use your best character to farm loot for your alt with any hope for efficiency - and let me tell you, my 40k DPS barb doesn't feel great after I switch to him from my 400k DPS wizard.

A solution would be to allow you to select which class you want smart loot for. Right clicking on your portrait could bring up a menu.

Hey Guys, I'm in the GAF Overflow Guild and go by Ninelives.

If anyone wants to do the Act 1 Torment boost with me later, just hit me up. We can switch off, boosting toons to 60. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Outlevel the content that levels up with you? Not likely. The old system is gone, now mobs scale up to your level in real time as you level up, so there's no such thing as 'outleveling the content'.

I totally didn't realize non-Torment difficulties scaled with you now. My bad.

ZenaxPure

Thanks! If content simply levels up along side you then there shouldn't be anything to worry about at least on that front. Just the challenge will be different on the harder difficulty. I assume that's a a situation where more enemies are thrown at your or they have more health the higher you go?

Both actually, and, I'm not entirely sure how it works in the new system but in the old system the higher the difficulty the more affixes elite groups have (thus making them more challenging/fun to fight). The best way to go always is the highest difficulty you can kill enemies relatively quickly, but, I tend to go one higher then that since literally one shotting enemies tends to make the game boring for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, I just came on ready to play and the maintenance has been extended again! Now it's 5pm GMT.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, STILL maintenance in EU? What the fuck?!

For anyone who was looking at Druin's elemental damage guide (I mentioned in clan chat), the mechanic with physical skills was apparently a bug.

Hotfixes:
"Skills that deal Physical damage should no longer benefit from items that increase elemental skill damage."

Well that's fucked. That means that only cyclone strike sees any damage modifier from the +30 to lightning I got.

I was even considering swapping my rune to pillar of ancients since it did physical damage and not holy damage.

If I'm reading everything correctly, this fix makes thunderfury useless as a compliment to +lightning skills.

You can have a fire based sword, run all lightning skills and still get the same benefit to the +lightning modifier as you would get with a sword that's lightning, holy, cold etc.

What's the point of applying an element to a weapon if that element can't be transferred through physical damage?

Classes like wiz that do no physical skills aren't affected by this bug fix. Classes like monk are fucked. Might as well stack physical ...

Dahbomb

How does it make Thunderfury worse? The proc does Lightning damage so it should get the benefit of your +30% Lightning damage.

I don't know what skills you were using but if you want the benefit of +Lightning skills then you need to be using Lightning skills. Stuff like Lightning Cyclone/LTK, Sweeping Wind Cyclone and Fist of Thunder. Not great Lightning selection but it is what it is.

You should stack +Physical bonus on items if you are using almost all Physical skills.

How does it make Thunderfury worse? The proc does Lightning damage so it should get the benefit of your +30% Lightning damage.

I don't know what skills you were using but if you want the benefit of +Lightning skills then you need to be using Lightning skills. Stuff like Lightning Cyclone/LTK, Sweeping Wind Cyclone and Fist of Thunder. Not great Lightning selection but it is what it is.

You should stack +Physical bonus on items if you are using almost all Physical skills.

Are you sure the proc benefits? If it does, the thunderfury is slightly less useless, but still not benefitted greatly. Your current lightning build (LTK, cyclone, SW and FoT) could use a fire weapon instead of a thunderfury and still put out the same damage minus the proc. The elemental damage on the weapon itself is not benefitted at all.

The element on the weapon is still largely just decoration.

And yeah, I'm planning on physical and holy now. WoTHF - physical. Cyclone - holy. Bell - holy. EP, physical.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just win 3 games on US Hearthstone. The release today makes it cross-region like D3.
Oooh! Nice :D So I can actually choose which server to join in Hearthstone now? Like in SC2?

Oooh! Nice :D So I can actually choose which server to join in Hearthstone now? Like in SC2?

I believe so, not sure it works the same as SC2 but you can choose a different region - your cards and such are different on each server but you should still be able to get 3 wins quite quick.

Yoshichan

What the fuckpoisajfoisajhfsaohfoisahfsaf

Is Hearthstone maintenancing as well?

Kssio_Aug

I hope its not a problem, I have asked the same question at the other D3 topic (at general games discussion), and I would like to ask the community here too.

When I do that Resistance calc:
<resistance> / (5 × Monster Level + <resistance>)

It means that the result is how much damage (percentully) my char will ignore at that specific resistance type against that especific monster level?

If it is, can I say that the same calc applies to both normal, blues and yellow monsters? Also, the same applies to physical resistance?

Thanks!

Hotfixes:

So that conversation that came yesterday that referenced this,

http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?threads/guide-2-0-1-elemental-damage-explained.1104/

is partially invalidated now with this "fix"? Or am I misunderstanding the hotfix. Will Physical damage skills still morph into the damage type on a given primary weapon, and subsequently benefit from +elemental damage % affixes from other items?

So that conversation that came yesterday that referenced this,

http://bannedofgamers.com/index.php?threads/guide-2-0-1-elemental-damage-explained.1104/

is partially invalidated now with this "fix"? Or am I misunderstanding the hotfix. Will Physical damage skills still morph into the damage type on a given primary weapon, and subsequently benefit from +elemental damage % affixes from other items?

Physical skills will not morph into your weapon elemental damage. See my posts the last page with dan ...

Elemental damage on a weapon is just decoration. Only the element of a skill is buffed.

Yoshichan

What the fuck I had no idea EU Diablo 3 was up... so confusing. B.net updater didn't do SHIT and I thought it was down all this time. Fuck this shit fest. Lost so much time.

Talaysen

I hope its not a problem, I have asked the same question at the other D3 topic (at general games discussion), and I would like to ask the community here too.

When I do that Resistance calc:
<resistance> / (5 × Monster Level + <resistance>)

It means that the result is how much damage (percentully) my char will ignore at that specific resistance type against that especific monster level?

If it is, can I say that the same calc applies to both normal, blues and yellow monsters? Also, the same applies to physical resistance?

Thanks!

That is correct.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So we had a day long maintenance and the AH doesn't even work? Fire these jokers.

Kssio_Aug

Physical skills will not morph into your weapon elemental damage. See my posts the last page with dan ...

Elemental damage on a weapon is just decoration. Only the element of a skill is buffed.

But physical skills never beneffited from the elemental deals X% more damage, did it?

From what I understand, the elemetal skills convert any elemental and physical damage from the weapon to the skill element. Then item with "elemental skills deals X% more damage", will benefit only the skills with that element. The skills with physical "element" will be only beneffited by physical affixes. Isnt it?

The hotfix says that physical skills will no longer benefits from items that rise elemental skills, not the elemental damage from a weapon.

XShagrath

Did the up the max size for a clan? I'm seeing GAF has 276 members.

EDIT: Well, I just botched that. Decided to leave GAFO to see if I could join GAF.. And now GAFO doesn't show up in a search, and GAF's not accepting members.

Dahbomb

Are you sure the proc benefits? If it does, the thunderfury is slightly less useless, but still not benefitted greatly. Your current lightning build (LTK, cyclone, SW and FoT) could use a fire weapon instead of a thunderfury and still put out the same damage minus the proc. The elemental damage on the weapon itself is not benefitted at all.

The element on the weapon is still largely just decoration.
I am not 100% sure that the proc gets benefits from Thunderfury but I don't see why it wouldn't. It's Lightning damage and it's actually being procced.

The reason why the element damage on your weapon doesn't get used is because you aren't physically hitting with it. If you unequipped your main Spirit generator and made an attack with your weapon (like with nothing equipped on your mouse key as if you were a LVL1 character) then it would use the element on the weapon. However that never actually happens so what is happening is that the weapon damage from your weapon is converted to whatever element your skill is using.

The weapons that are useful in element builds are those that give you a +% element damage. So WKL is a good example of this as is Sky Cutter which gives you Holy damage. These are the weapons you should be looking at...otherwise the actual element damage on your weapons is irrelevant for the most part.

Robin64

Yay, Warsong Pennant got delivered!

BTBEjAq.jpg

But physical skills never beneffited from the elemental deals X% more damage, did it?

From what I understand, the elemetal skills convert any elemental and physical damage from the weapon to the skill element. Then item with "elemental skills deals X% more damage", will benefit only the skills with that element. The skills with physical "element" will be only beneffited by physical affixes. Isnt it?

The hotfix says that physical skills will no longer benefits from items that rise elemental skills, not the elemental damage from a weapon.

For a brief moment after 2.0, the elemental damage on a weapon would also benefit physical skills as long as the elemental modifier matched the weapon's elemental dage. So if you had a thunderfury with lightning + strongarn bracer, your standard physical hits were being morphed from physical to electric damage and saw the boosts from the strong arm. As a monk (we have a ton of physical skills) this was rad. I could use WotHF (a physical punching attack) but still get buffs from my electrical strong arms as long as my weapons were electrical damage.

This was hot fixed.

I am not 100% sure that the proc gets benefits from Thunderfury but I don't see why it wouldn't. It's Lightning damage and it's actually being procced.

The reason why the element damage on your weapon doesn't get used is because you aren't physically hitting with it. If you unequipped your main Spirit generator and made an attack with your weapon (like with nothing equipped on your mouse key as if you were a LVL1 character) then it would use the element on the weapon. However that never actually happens so what is happening is that the weapon damage from your weapon is converted to whatever element your skill is using.

The weapons that are useful in element builds are those that give you a +% element damage. So WKL is a good example of this as is Sky Cutter which gives you Holy damage. These are the weapons you should be looking at...otherwise the actual element damage on your weapons is irrelevant for the most part.

Right. I get why. It still sucks. There's very few items with just %elemental damage. The affix "elemental skill damage" is very common now. It makes the elemental damage on weapons largely just decorations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have the elemental skill modifiers, and I will be using them. I just wish it tied into our weapons elemental damage better.

A lightning monk should be benefitted more from using a weapon with lightning damage than this system permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom