• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

For a brief moment after 2.0, the elemental damage on a weapon would also benefit physical skills as long as the elemental modifier matched the weapon's elemental dage. So if you had a thunderfury with lightning + strongarn bracer, your standard physical hits were being morphed from physical to electric damage and saw the boosts from the strong arm. As a monk (we have a ton of physical skills) this was rad. I could use WotHF (a physical punching attack) but still get buffs from my electrical strong arms as long as my weapons were electrical damage.

Hmmm, I think I underatood now.
However, just like a elemental skill, doesnt the physical skills convert the elemental weapon damage to physical?
That said, wouldnt anything (even thunderfury itself) benefits from the "phisycal skills deals X% more damage affix" just like every elemental skill?

Im not sure really, because I dont play as a Monk! Just cant understand the big deal.

Hmmm, I think I underatood now.
However, just like a elemental skill, doesnt the physical skills convert the elemental weapon damage to physical?
That said, wouldnt anything (even thunderfury itself) benefits from the "phisycal skills deals X% more damage affix" just like every elemental skill?

Im not sure really, because I dont play as a Monk! Just cant understand the big deal.

That is what the hotfix did.

I guess it's not a huge deal, it just means the elemental damage on your weapon has nothing to do with the skills being used and buffed. You could be a lightning monk using all lightning skills and stacking +lightning skill damage gear and get the same damage from a sword that's base is fire in comparison to a sword with lightning damage.

Kssio_Aug

Then, isnt that good?

I mean... the physical skill will no longer benefits from elemental skill dmg%, but will, at 100% effectiveness, benefits from physical skill dmg% affix. So, its just change the item with the elemental affux by one with physical.

Am I missing something?

Dahbomb

Then, isnt that good?

I mean... the physical skill will no longer benefits from elemental skill dmg%, but will, at 100% effectiveness, benefits from physical skill dmg% affix. So, its just change the item with the elemental affux by one with physical.

Am I missing something?
You are not missing anything... he just doesn't like that the "+876 Lightning damage" on weapons is essentially a flavor text.

Kssio_Aug

I guess it's not a huge deal, it just means the elemental damage on your weapon has nothing to do with the skills being used and buffed. You could be a lightning monk using all lightning skills and stacking +lightning skill damage gear and get the same damage from a sword that's base is fire in comparison to a sword with lightning damage.

You are not missing anything... he just doesn't like that the "+876 Lightning damage" on weapons is essentially a flavor text.

Aww, I see! Yeah, the elemental dmg text may come back to look useless as it was before. But thats not a big deal, as long as it dont nerf the damage dealt if you change the elemental affix by a physical one. And seems it doesnt (it will rise, at 100% effectiveness actually).

Wolfie5

Got a weapon upgrade (partly because I sold my high lvl gems). Got actually 2 legendary weapon drops and both had high dps. I assume it´s the new patch.

pjKtHNH.jpg

Also got my first crusader item drop ;)

Maybe, but also, nerf the physical effectiveness with elemental weapon damage doesnt seems to me the best solution to that "problem".

Why? Take out the +physical affix on weapons and and armor and bring back the bug. That way a weapon's elemental damage can be used in a characters elemental build through physical attack. It makes sense that when I physically hit something while holding a sword with lightning, that I actually do lightning damage. I mean, I'm not really sure how to implement this. It just makes sense that my weapons elemental damage plays a roll in my elemental build. Which is currently not the case after the fix.

It's not a huge deal. Prior to 2.0, we didn't have many elemental buffs at a. The WKL weapon being an outlier. So even our elemental skills were just decorations.

ZenaxPure

Right. Don't you think it's a little silly you could stick a fire weapon into your lightning build and get the same results?

I've seen it as kind of dumb since the game started, but, that's just me. What I want to know is what happened to those effects actually being useful (and each proccing their own unique thing similar to how cold works?) I didn't really keep up with datamining for the past 4 or 5 months but I remember in this thread people talking about stuff like fire damage putting a burn on enemies and arcane being capable of charming. Wasn't that being thought about at one point (as in, Blizzard actually considering adding it?) It wouldn't really fix this specific problem, but, elemental damage would be a bit less useless then it is now.

Dahbomb

Personally speaking they always backed themselves into a corner when they had all skills scale off of your weapon.

They over simplified it but the result was unintuitive and led to a lot of complicated situations. Like trying to explain to someone that its alright to use that giant axe on a Wizard as long as it has int, socket and high DPS. Not to mention the visual stuff where a Monk is carrying huge swords but punching with their fists.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
https://www.facebook.com/XOCommunications

Check the post there.. TONS of people having terrible lag for the last 3 days.

Color me impressed. That company provides a lot of communication regarding issues. Thanks for the link.
Packet loss update: XO is making some routing changes which should be completed within the hour. The changes that are being made should resolve the congestion issues.
Hopefully they will be able to resolve this soon.

thanks Apple

Edit: They are located right here in Minneapolis. Interesting. Maybe some picketing outside their offices will help....jk

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I agree that its quite confusing, and sometimes very unneceasary, all of that (the elemental weapon damage, and the weapon types free to all classes).

But a solution for that weapon elemental damage problem would have to be better analysed. Since the way it was with that bug, was still confusing, and then that physical difference would at least have to be explained at the skill or at the affix in some way.

I'm digging my tempest rush build right now. I really need the new innas set for more spirit gen so I can add fleet foot instead of three spirit generating passives. That and those bracers that boost MS upon breaking stuff. The MoC rune that boosts MS upon kill is already pretty effective. I cleared all of act III on t1 in about an hour. (Minus the side caves)

Kvik

So there's a blue post regarding that DH Vault ability issue last night:

There's a couple of issues occurring with Vault that we're planning on hotfixing soon:

Demon Hunters using the Danetta's Spite set are able to use Vault with insufficient Hatred.
Demon Hunters cannot use Vault outside the cursor range of the skill.

Both of these issues are in the process of being hotfixed, and have been added to the hotfix list. The latter is certainly a bug and not an intended change!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12032663408?page=3#49

I lost a a pool of reflection because of it :-\

Talaysen

Well, wizard has some skills that are physical but don't really have to do with the weapon. So physical skills taking elemental damage doesn't make much sense in the general case. And the bug was that certain physical skills were taking the elemental damage and others weren't. That was pretty unintuitive.

Prior to 2.0, there were non-elemental skills that took the damage of your weapon. They weren't physical. They really should've just kept those in instead of changing them to physical. I guess they didn't because you could do things like have a wizard using spectral blades with a triumvirate and triggering all of their "on cold damage", "on fire damage", "on lightning damage", etc. procs. Didn't really seem broken or anything to me though. Was actually pretty cool.

Kssio_Aug

After patch 2.0.1 how is the Monster Level counting?
is it possible to calculate the damage reduction by monsters that have more level than you?

Kssio_Aug

Just played year a little more than a hour. No lucky with legs today, got none! T-T
At least I could level from paragon 66 to 68. Not a big thing but thats ok.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Crossposting from gaming thread since no one answered/responded there -

So I'm starting to gear up my monk a bit now that most legendary drops on my wizard are sidegrades and downgrades.

Anyways I've found a build that seems to be working quite well for me and I'm enjoying a fair bit - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zerokku-1245/hero/3905627

Any thoughts on that? Also - While the build is for the most part working for me, what should I do in regards to champions/elite packs that have annoying ground based effects? The only times I'm struggling is when I'm stuck with something like molten/waller/etc. where my movement is limited with still being able to dps the mobs in melee range. Not a problem with my wizard since I can just teleport and kite away, but yeah. Any tips?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have to say, Loot 2.0 made playing HC a LOT more fun. Crafting is worth it, and drops are potentially good. On top of that, the servers feel SO much more stable than they were a few months back. No stuttering, no lag, no nothing.

Definitely impressed.

Shifty76

Crossposting from gaming thread since no one answered/responded there -

So I'm starting to gear up my monk a bit now that most legendary drops on my wizard are sidegrades and downgrades.

Anyways I've found a build that seems to be working quite well for me and I'm enjoying a fair bit - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zerokku-1245/hero/3905627

Any thoughts on that? Also - While the build is for the most part working for me, what should I do in regards to champions/elite packs that have annoying ground based effects? The only times I'm struggling is when I'm stuck with something like molten/waller/etc. where my movement is limited with still being able to dps the mobs in melee range. Not a problem with my wizard since I can just teleport and kite away, but yeah. Any tips?

Dashing Strike outta there ;)

Ashodin

So I have to say, Loot 2.0 made playing HC a LOT more fun. Crafting is worth it, and drops are potentially good. On top of that, the servers feel SO much more stable than they were a few months back. No stuttering, no lag, no nothing.

Definitely impressed.

MAAAYBE might play some hardcore for achievements.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What happens when you add sleet storm, some blizzard and a bit of area damage?

1mill+ dps when sheet only shows 150k

Also, pinging 50-80ms... in australia. Blizz have, at least temporarily, fixed ping for aussies.

*edit* Back to 250-280ms...

What happens when you add sleet storm, some blizzard and a bit of area damage?

1mill+ dps when sheet only shows 150k

Also, pinging 50-80ms... in australia. Blizz have, at least temporarily, fixed ping for aussies.

*edit* Back to 250-280ms...

Aww man you just got my hopes us and down in a single post. I've been getting increasing latency (live in Canberra and use TPG.. not known for their ping) and was hoping it would return to a non-issue as the first day I played (about 4 weeks ago now, but there was no lag whatsoever).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Aww man you just got my hopes us and down in a single post. I've been getting increasing latency (live in Canberra and use TPG.. not known for their ping) and was hoping it would return to a non-issue as the first day I played (about 4 weeks ago now, but there was no lag whatsoever).

I don't even want to play anymore.

After experiencing good ping and actually being able to avoid ground effects and power attacks reliably completely changed the game.

And I'm on bigpond 3G as well...

Ceebs

So do non weapon Legendaries drop XD?

Over the last few days I have had nothing but 2H swords and Wizard OH's drop. I have like 9 of them now.

So I was trying to mess around with inner sanctuary last night, but the cooldown is soo long. I swapped back to stun bell and dropped back to CotA T4. Then I decided to try out this 1h I got the other day with 4% to drop health globe and a 7% cool down. I decided seize wasn't doing much (especially against grays) and ground effects hurt more, so I put up beacon of ytar for another 20% cooldown reduction and swapped the stun bell back out for inner sanctuary again (rune that nullifies ground effects). I was able to increase back up
to T5!

I think I'm gonna work on getting more cooldown on my gear. I would like to be able to spam IS as soon as possible.

Also, cyclone strike is amazing with the strong arm bracer +damage on knock back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom