• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo lll: Ultimate Edition digital download is 62.7gb [in EU, 26.1 GB in US]

Kinthalis

Banned
So you want these companies to gimp audio or visual fidelity because you live in some strange ass place with a fucking bandwith cap? Get out bruh, most people don't have caps so deal with it.

There's no need for LPCM audio.... assuming you aren't worried about CPU overhead.

Modern compression for video and audio should produce excellent quality assets for the game engine to draw on.

Ideally (specially on PC) you'd want a system that asks you what language pack and what quality textures you want to download. Selecting another language or lower/higher quality textures after installign game shou;d start downloading the assets after a prompt with a warning and an expected file download size.

ethomaz

Banned
So you want these companies to gimp audio or visual fidelity because you live in some strange ass place with a fucking bandwith cap? Get out bruh, most people don't have caps so deal with it.
I think we can have a half way.

+ Continue with high quality assets
+ Give the option to choose one language to download

If you want more than one language you can download like DLC.

So you download 15GB only with your chosen language but you have the the option to download all 100GB with all 15 languages.

Subaru

i'm more concerned how they can charge £59.99 for the digital game when it costs 59.99 US dollars on the US Store.

$59.99 = £35

Prices are different in each region, this is "normal" - sadly.

Look at these prices:
nPpyC0L.jpg

I took this picture in May at the Sony Store in Berlin. Every game store that I've been there it was cheaper than that, but this is Sony's price.

ethomaz

Banned

Look at these prices:
nPpyC0L.jpg

I've took this photo in May at the Sony Store in Berlin. Every game store that I've been it was cheaper than that, but this is Sony's price.
You pay for additional languages :p

Look at these prices:
nPpyC0L.jpg

I took this picture in May at the Sony Store in Berlin. Every game store that I've been there it was cheaper than that, but this is Sony's price.

Well, same goes for Apple, Adidas... all these stores are trying to be "exclusive", that's why they are more expensive.

Taz

Look at these prices:
Snip

It's shocking really and it's something they can't justify, I was 100% getting this untill I saw the price it's a joke.

see5harp

No, we want them to use a little common sense when it comes to installs. They already have stuff in place to play a game with a partial install. A prompt to select a language the first time you start a game doesn't seem that hard to do.

Brannon

This is ridiculous; Uncharted 3 has separate language packs you can download if you want. This is a solved problem, they're just being lazy devs a bunch of blood fucking flaccid cunts about this.

Look at these prices:
nPpyC0L.jpg

WTF ! are you living in berlin or Narnia? :]

Huh. Any word on X1 file sizes? I'd imagine they'd be the same, but then, I would've imagined NA and EU sizes would be the same, so now I'm curious.

ethomaz

Banned
It's not that bad after the U$ 62 "Super Luigi U" in Brazil =P
(It's not the official price,this was before the official launch. The official price is about U$ 43)
$62 here is cheap... I'm paying $90 (R$200) in most launch games.... well TLOU was cheaper ($64 / R$150).

M3d10n

Look at these prices:
nPpyC0L.jpg

And I though we had it bad here in Brazil. Damn. That's almost twice the price for Knack over here.

ethomaz

Banned
This is ridiculous; Uncharted 3 has separate language packs you can download if you want. This is a solved problem, they're just being lazy devs a bunch of blood fucking flaccid cunts about this.
The worst is PC.

- The main client download the game + English lang
- You change to Spanish
- The main client download the Spanish lang
- You change to English
- The main client download the English lang

You never have two languages installed... you need always change the language and download again.

And there are serious issues reported by users that can't install the DLC after change the language or can't go back to English after change to another language.

I live in this place called Murica and I have AT&T U-verse, which has a 250gb cap. So unless you want to pay for a new place for me to live in a better state and then buy my internet, be reasonable and realize that there are LOTS of people with caps.

They should just let you download the language you need. Why do I need 63gb when I speak English and require no extra effort for localisation than the US version?

The Llama

Imagine being ignorant enough to think that only people who live in "strange ass places" have bandwidth caps. I can't.

there's no way they can do that without ensuring you wouldn't then just sell the disc or something

Blizzard already does this with their PC games. Shame they can't do it on console too.

It's basically what the Xbox One would have done, but with no DRM check-in and other retail options available.

yeah if they had different disc SKUs, it maybe wouldn't have been so bad. still kinda confusing for end users though

I was wondering who all would pick up on that :p

That was one of the benefits of those original ideas, though it obviously had the drawbacks mentioned. Like you said, I still kinda wish it would be possible for at least a limited run of discs that behaved in the that way, to address those people who did prefer the hybrid model that PC games use (discs for quicker install and collector's editions, and potentially finding a cheaper price than on the download store, but still associated with a user account so you don't need the disc to play)

Maybe if it was only sold through online retailers, that would address the consumer confusion part

Subaru

WTF ! are you living in berlin or Narnia? :]

I was traveling actually =P

$62 here is cheap... I'm paying $90 (R$200) in most launch games.... well TLOU was cheaper ($64 / R$150).

Super Luigi U is U$ 30 in US, that's why R$ 150 for this game is an insult (and the DLC version is only U$ 20)

I'm all digital this gen because of prices - especially now that is harder to import without taxes.

And I though we had it bad here in Brazil. Damn. That's almost twice the price for Knack over here.

Yes, that's insane. To be fair, there was a PS4 bundle for €500 that included Knack, Infamous and Killzone (so, €100 for 3 games, and one of them is actually pretty good).

But again, this is was only "Sony Style" price, in other stores (like Saturn and Media Markt) was cheaper than that.

Chaos17

I said the same thing about Persona 4 golden and what people told me ?
Learn japanese if I wanted dual audio.

JPS Kai

It sounds like a multi-6 release where all of the cutscenes and uncompressed voices are dubbed in six different languages.

Deepo

Yeah, Sony and MS needs to get to work on letting us separate languages the fuck out. This is ridiculous.

This makes me either want to

1) Reconsider AT&T Uverse. Internet isn't as fast as it could be, but has a 250 GB/month cap that you pay $10 for each additional 50GB. Lucky for me, since I can't check it they apparently won't charge me, but still...

2) Never buy games digital that I could buy at retail. I live by this currently, and have gotten great deals because of it.

Looks like I'm leaning heavily toward option 2...

Just posted this https://twitter.com/neiljamesd/status/497868823933243393

Please help any way in getting their attention on this one. Its f**king ridiculous.

I wonder why nobody is rioting about the Destiny's Digital Guardian edition becuase it's $89,99 in NA and €99,99 in the EU, that's also more than a €30 difference.

Does anybody know if there is a downside to downloading games from the NA store if you reside in the EU? pre-loading, online matchmaking, buying future DLC from the regional store, that sort of stuff..

ethomaz

Banned
Does anybody know if there is a downside to downloading games from the NA store if you reside in the EU? pre-loading, online matchmaking, buying future DLC from the regional store, that sort of stuff..
Only DLC... you need to but all the DLC in the sane region you bought the game.

Everything else works fine... the matchmaking is based in your PSN account region... not game.

BigDug13

Yeah. I mean that PC version has such absolutely shitty graphics and sound at 15GB. I can't wait for the superior console graphics and sound at 4x the game size.

Top Bottom