• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diamond Dallas Page to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
cutter.gif

Still, IMO, the best finisher in wrestling history. I love the Stunner, but no move combined the hit-it-from-anywhere aspect with the flatout impact of the Diamond Cutter. And the pop when he hit it...my God. DDP was one of the main reasons why WCW in 1997 is still one of the best years for any organization in wrestling history.

The Diamond Cutter is a cool name for a move too.

You can thank a fellow hall of famer for that. According to his book, DDP wanted a finishing move that nobody else was doing at the time, so William Regal, who worked in Japan regularly, taught him Johnny Ace's Ace Crusher. He apparently was looking like crazy for names for it, writing hundreds down, but nothing worked right. Then, he asked Bobby Heenan, who in mere seconds, replied "The Diamond Cutter." Page loved it, and now the move is synonymous with the name, even with Randy Orton taking the move even further than DDP did.

You can thank a fellow hall of famer for that. According to his book, DDP wanted a finishing move that nobody else was doing at the time, so William Regal, who worked in Japan regularly, taught him Johnny Ace's Ace Crusher. He apparently was looking like crazy for names for it, writing hundreds down, but nothing worked right. Then, he asked Bobby Heenan, who in mere seconds, replied "The Diamond Cutter." Page loved it, and now the move is synonymous with the name, even with Randy Orton taking the move even further than DDP did.

That is really cool to hear.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Still, IMO, the best finisher in wrestling history. I love the Stunner, but no move combined the hit-it-from-anywhere aspect with the flatout impact of the Diamond Cutter. And the pop when he hit it...my God. DDP was one of the main reasons why WCW in 1997 is still one of the best years for any organization in wrestling history.

Amen Brother.

I still can't believe that WWE wouldn't let DDP be DDP during his run. Banning him from doing his BANG!!! taunt and his pointing to the crowd. They really didn't want him to be over.

Also the Diamond Cutter shits on the RKO

Nameless

Always liked DDP. Good example of someone following and reaching their dreams at a later age and he's helped a lot of legends, well, stay alive quite frankly. Plus he was great in The Devil's Rejects.

The diamond cutter he hit on Kidman in the Raven vs. DDP Ravens Rules match is my favorite. Kidman jumps onto DDPs back and grabs on, DDP just tosses him in the air from his back and BANG!

Always liked DDP. Good example of someone following and reaching their dreams at a later age and he's helped a lot of legends, well, stay alive quite frankly. Plus he was great in The Devil's Rejects.

The fact that the guy is 60 years old and still looks like he can go in modern WWE is testament to the guy. He's basically saved people's lives through DDP Yoga, and saved the lives of Scott Hall and Jake Roberts. Hell, even Mick Foley has apparently lost nearly 100 pounds and no longer has a lot of the pain he suffered in his career thanks to DDP. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he also got the Warrior Award for his service.

EDIT: Some of my favorite Diamond Cutters:

If+you+don+t+jump+then+it+s+a+diamond+cutter+_34fa760d9ad592406e4e2495bcb39a81.gif

DiamondDallasPage-DiamondsCutter.gif

diamond-cutter-o.gif

Vc0Q44E.gif

d21ae8626d9eb22191ab398cfcfff64d955825a8_hq.gif

AColdDay

He should've been the one to end Goldberg's streak.

I was there, a kid caught up in the absolute stunning peak of wrestling, and I felt that DDP should have been the one to beat him. I felt it then, and I still feel it was the right call for where WCW was at the time.

Also DDP's Nirvana ripoff WCW theme was the greatest.

Well deserved for his work in the ring but even more for his work outside.
DDP Yoga worked for me when I was on it. You feel stupid at first just moving your arms and legs while tensing them up but then you realise you're sweating and that it's genuinely good exercise. Mick Foley's turnaround over the last 2 years has been incredible, I'm so happy for DDP and the people he's helped.

Speaking of HBK: He was DDP Yoga's very first student. DDP helped him rehabilitate his back after his first retirement, turn away from his partying and drug using lifestyle, and find peace through religion. Without DDP, HBK would not have had a second career in the 2000s, and he would not have turned away from his destructive lifestyle. He would probably have wound up like Chris Candido, or done too much damage and wound up Eddie Guerrero.

That's cool, is there any footage of either of them talking about it. I've seen and heard most of these other stories but this is the first I think I've heard of him helping HBK.

Thanks for sharing this. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan is one of the greatest managers and heel announcers ever but there are so many stories of other ways he contributed to wrestling history.

Exis

DDP is super important to me from his Yoga, I go to a studio now but yoga is a cornerstone of my life thanks to him. Met is a number of times and he is a super nice and sincere person by all accounts.

DDP is super important to me from his Yoga, I go to a studio now but yoga is a cornerstone of my life thanks to him. Met is a number of times and he is a super nice and sincere person by all accounts.

That's the other thing I've heard as well, dude is super humble and goes out of his way to meet fans.

I've been watching 1997 WCW recently and man, does it blow me away how awesome the Page/Savage feud was. Amazing matches, a real blood feud, and it turned Page into a superstar. Probably the most underrated feud in wrestling. I remember going to a house show in Glens Falls and DDP/Savage was the main event, and I lost my mind.

Same for me.
I went through 9 months of ddp yoga and moved out to studio classes.

DDP is the best

That's the other thing I've heard as well, dude is super humble and goes out of his way to meet fans.

I've been watching 1997 WCW recently and man, does it blow me away how awesome the Page/Savage feud was. Amazing matches, a real blood feud, and it turned Page into a superstar. Probably the most underrated feud in wrestling. I remember going to a house show in Glens Falls and DDP/Savage was the main event, and I lost my mind.
I remember DDP mentioning in an interview how he was backstage right when the feud was starting, and Bischoff asked Savage what he wanted to do. Savage responded "Hmmm...I think I'll take the Diamond Cutter tonight." Savage didn't need to do that, he could have just refused to look weak like Hogan, beaten DDP in one match, and be done with it. But he was willing to put people over, the feud became an awesome, lengthy one, and DDP was forever grateful to him.

Marvel

could never
Yay!

Good for him.

Wk7VJPs.jpg

Loved his weirdo wwe run too, well the character not the booking.
Ntr63TY.jpg

Dude could do it all man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom