• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Emily Rogers just hint at Mother 3's NA Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

About time.

I knew it would happen eventually. Here's hoping it's not just a nothing release and they actually put some marketing and hype behind it.

icon_osohe_dance_salsa.gif

This better not be a ruse! Imagine having the entire Mother trilogy on Wii U...

I wonder what the official english title would be?

Earthbound Endings?

Hilarion

Wii Sports Anniversary confirmed.

I'm kind of shocked that Nintendo hasn't kept making more Wii Sports titles than the two they made (Wii Sports Club is basically a remake of the original). I'd think it'd be an easy cash cow to make an updated Wii Sports title (now for the Wii U) with whatever sports they happened to come up with. Greyhound racing? Steeplechase horseback riding? Curling? Darts? Jousting? The sky's the limit.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Mother 3 happens. If it does, though, I expect it'll come on VC on the week of the anniversary of Iwata's passing with a set of speeches about how Mr. Iwata was critically involved with Mother I and II and maybe some statement from Itoi dedicating the Western release of Mother III to Iwata's memory.

Neiteio

Shortly after the Paper Mario thing, a bunch of Nintendo people started following me on twitter. There was a sudden moment of "Well, shit."
Yeah, but if you're just passing along scuttlebutt your source is confident won't identify them, there's not much those ninjas can do about anything

Although I'd keep a crowbar handy in case Reggie kicks down your front door, he's rather large and physically imposing

It makes sense.

Earthbound VC likely did extremely well, making the popularity of the series more apparent.

Earthbound Beginnings likely sold well and was a trial run. It was an easy game to release to test the waters for the Mother series.

Lucas DLC for Smash probably sold really well, since it's Smash DLC and that always sells well.

Ness and Lucas amiibo seem to be selling very well.

They randomly added some Earthbound costumes to Mario Maker for some reason.

I've kind of had the feeling it would happen eventually, and the odd increase of focus on the Mother series seems to be pointing to the big announcement.

I don't think the game will release on the VC. I think they'll do some kind of collection that has Mother, Mother 2 and Mother 3 all on one Disc/Cartridge. The translation effort feels like it would be way too much for just a VC release.

Neoxon

If true, I wonder if Nintendo Treehouse bought the translated text from that one fan group or if they translated everything themselves. At least Earthbound Beginnings was already translated decades ago.

Joqu

Most reasonable post in the whole thread.

Which leads me to believe it's going to be a $29.99 3DS physical release, with Amiibo support. They could get away with that or release the whole trilogy on one cart.

Either way, I don't think this will be VC.

I can't see it not be a digital release for just Mother 3, but I don't think they'd treat that as a virtual console one. A huge newly translated RPG with an avid fan base? They'd price that accordingly. Doesn't matter how long ago it came out it Japan.

But yeah, a physical collection would be sweet

Galang

Banned
Yeah ever since that shameless Mother 3 jab in that Nintendo Direct I felt this was going to happen eventually. They can't be that cruel... or can they...

Lunar15

I feel like for most Earthbound fans, this was an initial moment of extreme positivity and hope but then an immediate pang of fear once they realized that the hope was back.

It's probably happening.

I wonder if Undertale's success had any effect on it.

I have a feeling this has been in the works for some time. I don't think Nintendo will use the fan-translation, so somebody's been translating this for quite some time. Perhaps the project started around the E3 with the infamous Robot Chicken joke? I'm assuming the same people who handled Earthbound Beginnings would be doing this.

Basically, if it's out this year then Undertale seems too new to have been the spark.

Dimmle

I feel like for most Earthbound fans, this was an initial moment of extreme positivity and hope but then an immediate pang of fear once they realized that the hope was back.

It's probably happening.

Hope is fear.

Also I don't know about this, but Nintendo better be trying to get Undertale to release on one of their platforms. People would gobble it up.

Unless he rebuilds it on a tool other than GameMaker or GameMaker adds an export module to one of Nintendo's platforms, it won't happen.

Het_Nkik

The rhythm battle system will be a testament to Nintendo's emulators. I had to buy a flash cart to play the English version since I couldn't find a single emulator that worked correctly with the rhythm battle system. (I do own a copy of the Japanese game.)

Mr-Joker

Banned
why would she know this

Because she's awesome and knows the right peoples.

Plus when she leaked the Paper Mario U in development she also hinted that she other project that Nintendo was working on.

How long before the ninjas clap her?

Well she did say she would be taking a short break from twitter before coming back around April or May.

Shortly after the Paper Mario thing, a bunch of Nintendo people started following me on twitter. There was a sudden moment of "Well, shit."

Ha ha, they're watching you now.

$30 Wii U VC Release

The game's already out there in Japan and the other two games are also on Wii U VC.

3DS is weird because the other two games aren't there and I can't seem them making a remake with updated graphics when people love the pixel art.

Hilarion

For those suggesting a Mother Trilogy 3DS thing, wouldn't that require a serious facelift/redesign/basically total remake for Mother 1/Earthbound Beginnings? Because of the way those compilations work, people unfamiliar who are picking up the game pick the first one and go forward from there, and Earthbound Beginnings would be a...rather bad introduction to that series in its current state.

L Thammy

2 > 3 > 1
But I hope this is true. My favourite RPG series by far.

Maybe they didn't know and just want a good source for Nintendo news.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why would Undertale's success have anything to do with Mother 3?

Didn't you hear that Undertale is that new mother now*?

Seriously though I doubt Undertale success had anything to do with it as Nintendo is full aware how popular the Mother series is in the west and sales of Mother 2 did well enough to warrant the release of Mother 1.

This is a joke and not me saying that Undertale is shit as I can not say that as I have not played the game.

Lunar15

Next Nintendo Direct:

"And now we're proud to announce that Mother 3 Stickers are coming to Miiverse! Americans can use them too!"

"Oh, and here's Paper Mario: Paper Mache, an exciting party game spinoff in the iconic Paper Mario franchise!"

"Rockstar is working on something for Project Cafe. It will most likely not be revealed at E3 because Rockstar normally doesn’t reveal stuff at E3."

heh

Wouldn't surprise me if they were working on something at some point, there's a lot of games from a lot of devs that were planned for Wii U but got canned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom