• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

Madao

This is something I immediately noticed once I've updated my 3DS to 5.0/1.0-11. Also, the slowdown in MiiPlaza Puzzle Swap and Find Mii is gone.

(Insert "3rd core unlocked" joke)

i also noticed this speed up in those parts since i'm working on those modes and noticed right away that puzzle swap was faster. i was like "whoa why is this now smooth?"

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't fix the awful last boss of Sonic Generations.

Madao

now that there's several people testing stuff, can someone try VLR to see if it still crashes like usual?

antti-la

Haven't had any problems with performance on this device. Can't complain though.

3DS would be just phenomenal device with following things: Youtube App, Miiverse, better webbrowser and a Netflix app (which is not available in EU for some unexplained reason). Which, let's face it, would not surely be a hard job to do.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Someone should upload videos (even of just one minute) of these games after the update. It would just need to play levels featured in videos on YouTube, the difference would be clear in that case, no?

Pikma

Banned
Someone should upload videos (even of just one minute) of these games after the update. It would just need to play levels featured in videos on YouTube, the difference would be clear in that case, no?

I could do it tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure about what games I own suffered from performance issues as I've yet to play so many of them. :lol
I'll defenitely check out Code of Princess and Castlevania though.

So do people believe the processors might be clocked faster? That is the only thing that could truly increase the framerate.

ON PSP, we've had an update like that as well.

Hermii

Its pretty amazing if system performance can improve this significantly just by firmware thats released this long after the system itself. Gives me hope for the Wii U.

MarkusRJR

Can someone actually provide proof for this update increasing frame rates? This sounds like a bunch of people falling for a placebo effect.

I see people on phone forums read a single person say ___ firmware update makes the battery last longer and then suddenly most of the people say it's true. Then the next firmware update comes out and the same shit happens, and the same people say that the battery was so bad with the last firmware. I need legit proof before believing impressions on forums.

Amalthea

Banned
Gonna use my unpatched og. 3DS to compare it with the patched XL after Work. Some games really have awful framerates on this system.

Bummer about MGS 3.

NateDrake

Can someone actually provide proof for this update increasing frame rates? This sounds like a bunch of people falling for a placebo effect.

I see people on phone forums read a single person say ___ firmware update makes the battery last longer and then suddenly most of the people say it's true. Then the next firmware update comes out and the same shit happens, and the same people say that the battery was so bad with the last firmware. I need legit proof before believing impressions on forums.

Or the famous "Trophies and XMB load faster on my PS3 after firmware...."

Maybe. Or maybe the update frees up resources originally dedicated to the OS. Some of the issues with games people are citing are pretty specific though. If there's a notorious section of a game that chugs heavily I don't know that placebo effect would be enough to make someone who's checking suddenly blind to obvious problems.

DonMigs85

Tales of the Abyss seems to run just the same, but the Sonic Racing demo is definitely smoother. Has anyone tried Dead or Alive Dimensions?

Celine

Can someone check for Nano Assault EX? I'm at work.

Framerate slowdowns is the biggest fault of the game IMO (still great game).

m0t0k1

Tales of the Abyss seems to run just the same, but the Sonic Racing demo is definitely smoother. Has anyone tried Dead or Alive Dimensions?

Dead or Alive was always 60fps locked with 3d off and 30fps locked with 3d on so no changes there. I already noticed improvement in Sonic generations. Also Metal gear is more smooth still a low framerate but less fluctuation compared to the demo. just got the game so i cant compare that pre update.

SmokyDave

Its pretty amazing if system performance can improve this significantly just by firmware thats released this long after the system itself. Gives me hope for the Wii U.

It's amazing that so many games needed a boost to play smoothly in the first place.

DonMigs85

Come to think of it I never noticed PS3 system updates actually improve game performance, only game-specific patches.

Played MH in transport today. Battery seemed a bit improved. Hard to tell as it was low going in. Wasn't good before. Could be imagination though.

It's amazing that so many games needed a boost to play smoothly in the first place.

Often happens to systems with a decent sized library of games.

JordanKZ

The Mii Plaza still runs a billion times faster than it did before. So they did something.

Rumour has it that the 3DS has a heavily downclocked ARM11 CPU. If that CPU is downclocked in software, there's no reason Nintendo couldn't have done something about that.

Then again, this is Nintendo, they write awful operating systems. It's probably more likely that they just refactored their code to run faster.

Diebuster

I redownloaded the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed demo and it's still terrible. The framerate's far from acceptable, and it stills freezes mid-race like the last time I tried it.

DonMigs85

The Mii Plaza still runs a billion times faster than it did before. So they did something.

Rumour has it that the 3DS has a heavily downclocked ARM11 CPU. If that CPU is downclocked in software, there's no reason Nintendo couldn't have done something about that.

Then again, this is Nintendo, they write awful operating systems. It's probably more likely that they just refactored their code to run faster.
It's possible, on the PSP Daxter got a significant FPS boost if you set the CPU to 333Mhz.

Rootbeer

Banned
If I had the game I would test, all I can say is that the latest firmware DEFINITELY sped up various parts of the OS. It's not a placebo, of that I am sure. It would be pretty awesome if it fixed this game (and possibly others?)

Anyone who isn't on the new 5.x firmware should update and see for themselves.

Top Bottom