• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Increasing the CPU clock permanently makes zero sense. Why would Nintendo want this? If it were CPU related, the most sensible would be to be opt-in for newer games, like on the PSP. The average user would't like their battery life to go down all of sudden.

Also, the CPU and GPU have their clocks tied, so you couldn't mess with one without mess the other. Due to the reverse engineering done at 3Dbrew, we know the GPU on the 3DS is accessed through a service, kinda like on a PC, and that the commands are managed by the OS (since the GPU can be used by up to four different processes, which would be impossible if games were accessing it directly).

Keep in mind that reducing overhead for OS calls would actually lessen the load on the CPU while the game is rendering. Once the commands reach the GPU they would take the same time as usual to process, but since the CPU has to wait less, it can resume work while the GPU works in parallel.

Wow, didn't knew that. So, is possible to release a higher spec 3DS with another GPU vendor after all!? Maybe the Wii U is setup in a similar way... that would explain lots of stuff actually.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Kid Icarus multiplayer is much, much smoother now. It's crazy.

Rail Temple with six player and max items had only one minor instance of slowdown in the test matches I had. This map always chugged in Light vs Dark games, no exceptions.

Small Arena with the same settings held up just as well.

Hey guys, going to post a YouTube video of me playing Resident Evil :M3D with the latest update on my 3DSXL comparing it to an original 3DS with update 4.5!

Edit: here it is guys! http://youtu.be/Hp0VsIndA2c

For the people that have a hard time seeing it, try listening. The rifle shot sounds much faster on the 2nd 3DS. I really thought that it was a placebo effect, but it seems that the updates really improved the frame rate on some games.

sfried

Anyone tested Blazblue CS2 yet?

I did. 3D mode seems to be constant now. Have to double check.

Edit: Yep, I can confirm there are no longer any awkward pauses during hits.

Edit2: Ok, first report was wrong. It is not 60fps, but it is constant and doesn't frame drop. My best guess is 50fps-ish.

M3d10n

Edit2: Ok, first report was wrong. It is not 60fps, but it is constant and doesn't frame drop. My best guess is 50fps-ish.

This is impossible. With v-sync on, it's either 60fps or 30fps. Unless the 3DS has triple buffering (which I doubt). If there was no v-sync, you'd see the weirdest screen tearing ever (it's vertical).

Always nice when you suddenly get a little performance boost out of something from an update.

Has there been any checks on how long the default battery lasts now? I would think that more power has a hit on the battery.

Is it 60fps in 2D?

daxy

This is impossible. With v-sync on, it's either 60fps or 30fps. Unless the 3DS has triple buffering (which I doubt). If there was no v-sync, you'd see the weirdest screen tearing ever (it's vertical).

I don't know but all vsync does is make sure there's no screen tearing and the frame rate doesn't go above the screen's refresh rate. The frame rate could be anywhere between 0 and the native refresh rate with it on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well ok. I got the update and I knew for a fact that the Mirror of Fate demo ran at shit framerate all the way, but it's now pretty smooth, as in actual smoothness, not that jittery sub 30 bullshit. Wonder how the retail release is then, because that ran a tad better overall compared to the demo. 3D ON/OFF didn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know but all vsync does is make sure there's no screen tearing and the frame rate doesn't go above the screen's refresh rate. The frame rate could be anywhere between 0 and the native refresh rate with it on.

What he's saying is that it needs to be Triple Buffered in order for it to display variable framerates, if it isn't it's locked at 15/30/60. Which makes 50 FPS impossible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can we put LCU: The Chase Begins among all these other games? The first trailer showed a pretty low framerate everywhere; recent videos from a review build show immensely reduced slowdowns.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can we put LCU: The Chase Begins among all these other games? The first trailer showed a pretty low framerate everywhere; recent videos from a review build show immensely reduced slowdowns.

That sounds (and most likely is) unrelated, trailer was probably from an older build.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have the retail (digital) version of Castlevania and I have played a bit more yesterday. The game now runs considerably smoother.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, I have the retail (digital) version of Castlevania and I have played a bit more yesterday. The game now runs considerably smoother.

Maybe I should replay it at the hardest difficulty, because pre-update the retail version was already a bit better than the demo, must feel quite nice now.

Amalthea

Banned
I tested some games with both my old 3DS and the XL.
Real Heroes Firefighter stood out most because it went from no framerate to some framerate. It might be actually playable now.

Been shown this tread after coming back to Super Mario 3D Land.

On my original 3DS at game launch I couldn't play it due to the bad framerate.

Yesterday I restarted it on my updated 3DS XL and it is smooth and playable now.

Great stuff.

Top Bottom