• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

RM8

Yeah, still getting those pauses in the demo. Otherwise it's not silky smooth but it is more consistent than before.
Wow, this is true. Oh man, I'm totally going to buy it now, even if I'd advice everyone to get ANY other version if they're only buying one. Preferably PC.

I just got Rayman Origins a few weeks ago while it was on sale at Best Buy, so I've played it a fair bit before the update. Just tested it and load times seem improved. The music used to hang at the very end up of levels ( looping the short clip 4 or 5 times),now it only loops 2-3 times. Seems to run smoother overall.

qq more

I'm glad these improvements are actually happening. There were a lot of people in disbelief
because they refuse to believe Rayman 3D and Sonic Generations are good in the first place ;)
, so it's good to see some hard evidence.

Keep testing out games and apps guys! I'll update the OP with more information if you can provide further testing.

Framerate is hardly the issue of Sonic Generation 3DS.
Although I actually enjoyed the game somewhat... outside of the 2 god awful Dreamcast levels.

No, just humans are easily fooled, they think something seems different because they expect it to be.

What's so wrong about wanting actual factual proof that things are better?

If the difference is there as people are saying then it should be easily viewable in videos, multiple people here are claiming to have more than one 3DS ones that are patched and ones that aren't should be easy enough to show a video from each showing the difference.

I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong and the patch changed things if there is video evidence.

Desiato

No, just humans are easily fooled, they think something seems different because they expect it to be.

If the difference is there as people are saying then it should be easily viewable in videos, multiple people here are claiming to have more than one 3DS ones that are patched and ones that aren't should be easy enough to show a video from each showing the difference.

I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong and the patch changed things if there is video evidence.

People with two 3DS's don't owe you anything man. Just saying.

I don't trust any observations from members who may or may not have been part of teamcg. I'll have to see this for myself. Already updated sadly bit I'll try ghost recon.

People with two 3DS's don't owe you anything man. Just saying.

I didn't say they owed me anything, just saying that I'm not going to take someone saying something appears smoother without any sort of evidence as fact, if others want to that's perfectly fine.

Doczu

Could anyone with 2 consoles (pre and post update) upload a video which compares the biggest offenders (Rayman, Castlevania and perhaps Ridge Racer)? So to outrule the possibility of placebo? Or if you don't have 2 consoles, you can always record the gameplay before and after the update.

And to all the sceptics, what about the increased battery drainage? I can say that my 3DS battery took an aimpact after the update. I can't tell by how much, but i deffinetly need to charge it faster than ever (playing Monster Hunter on backlight 3, full 3D).

Could anyone with 2 consoles (pre and post update) upload a video which compares the biggest offenders (Rayman, Castlevania and perhaps Ridge Racer)? So to outrule the possibility of placebo? Or if you don't have 2 consoles, you can always record the gameplay before and after the update.

And to all the sceptics, what about the increased battery drainage? I can say that my 3DS battery took an aimpact after the update. I can't tell by how much, but i deffinetly need to charge it faster than ever (playing Monster Hunter on backlight 3, full 3D).

Could it be that monster hunter is a particularly battery heavy game?

krumble

At last count I have over 400 street pass people in my plaza

Used to be a real chog to go through them

Silky smooth now

There is no denying they did something

I really wish Rayman 3D was Rayman 3, they didn't need to whore out Rayman 2 YET AGAIN, and like I said, they didn't even give us the best-looking version which was obviously the PS2 version, yeah the DC version was the best, but that was mostly due to the fluid 60fps, Rayman 3D does not have that...

A port of the PS2 version with a less than perfect framerate would've been more tolerable.

My idea is for Ubisoft to attempt at a Rayman Trilogy for 3DS, this may require a 4GB card, but port the first game (which ever is most suitable for the 3DS' resolution), port Rayman 2 from the PS2, and Rayman 3 from whichever is the best one (I don't even know if the Xbox version was the best one, maybe go for the GC version). And try to polish them as much as possible.

I wouldn't object to a retail Wii U trilogy either, they got Rayman 3 HD already. But I'd be far more impressed if they did this on 3DS, and you get all on the go.

Actually why didn't the GC get Rayman 2? Would've made an epic launch title if they used the PS2 version, but oh well.

However, Ubisoft could always just do Rayman 3 3D on it's own, at least attempt it, but the trilogy idea would give us a better Rayman 2 as they can't redo Rayman 2 on its own (has a game ever been ported twice on the same platform?).

Actually Deer Drive might be one case; Mastiff published it on Wii early on and that was ported by the usual Remington folks, and recently Maximum Games published Deer Drive Legends which was done by Raylight, I think both are the same game but ported by two different companies (but Legends has more content naturally).

I didn't say they owed me anything, just saying that I'm not going to take someone saying something appears smoother without any sort of evidence as fact, if others want to that's perfectly fine.
Although "super smooth" is an exaggeration, the framerate has definitely improved for certain games.

Wiz

I did notice that the eShop is blazing fast now once it loads up. Luigis Mansion and Fire Emblem are also a lot smoother in the fps.

Doczu

So it's official then? The update did change something (oc cpu, gpu) and the battery life took an impact because of it?

Nah, that happens with many games, specially when there is interference or something. I had it happen with SSF43D, MK7, and other multi games (but I don't remember that happening with KI:U, also I only had it happen when playing multi with many other devices like 3ds/psp playing other multi games around.)
It's such a nuisance in MH3 since monsters can take 30+ minutes to take down. Good to know it's not the update, I guess. Still wish it wouldn't happen.

Hermii

I wonder if this has something to do with the Wii U optimizing. Maybe there are similarities in the OSes and Wii U optimizations works for 3ds as well.

th4tguy

o_O

You're a street whore.

lol, I wonder what that makes me..... I ONLY ever get street passes when at Pax East. While my wife works the booth, I sit and street pass. I don't live in the city so I never get street passes any other time of the year. I currently have a plaza pop of 807. I can confirm after updating, my plaza no longer chugs when scrolling through the Miis.

Doczu

It's not too hard to get a lot when you've had the system for a long time, lol

I haven't been getting a lot of passes lately (out of school), but I'm at 1077 now.

And I have caught 2 guys since the launch. One was my buddy, one was last sunday. And i take my 3DS almost always with me (and i don't live in the mountains).

Harimau kecil

Neo Member

After the update the pain in my back went away. My friend who didn't update, however, got in a car crash. This update most certainly has magic properties!

Harlock

Maybe Nintendo unlocked the clockspeed, like Sony did with the PSP, that was locked down because battery concern.

Trevelyan

Banned
After the update the pain in my back went away. My friend who didn't update, however, got in a car crash. This update most certainly has magic properties!

Holy shit, you too?! But on a serious note, I was on vacation when the update hit with no internet, so the first thing I did when I got back home was update my 3DS. I instantly noticed that LM was running smoother. Haven't tried anything else as that and FE have been eating away all my time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Finally completed Castlevania last night. Played tree hours post update. Smoother experience! Glad too, cause the last few parts of the game are inteeeense.

Mercurysteam nails another one, good game.

VariantX

I was skeptical about these improvements, then I loaded up the castlevania demo. The part at the very beginning where the camera flies back to capture the scale of the size of the castle used to be choppy. After the update, it dosen't chug at all and seems to run pretty smoothly.

Top Bottom