• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

hunnies28

I don't have my Code of Princess cart on hand right now, but I did try the Sonic Transformed demo and it seemed playable now.

Still not sure if placebo effect

I have to go back and try a lot of games now. I already finished Castlevania but I had to set Code of Princess down mostly because the horrible slowdown was giving me a headache.

If this is true then Nintendo probably realized that the systems are being used more inside than outside so the need for throttling the system to save battery isn't necessary. It's still a pain to have it always plugged in though like I do with my XL nowadays.

Effect

Code of Princess seems to be improved at first glance. Need to do more missions and need to find a really heavy enemy filled one to be sure. However with the 3D off in the mission I did get a chance to play things seemed smooth. The mission I played was a bridge mission where the camera really pulls back.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I noticed the framerate in the Castlevania MOF demo improved as well. It actually holds 30fps much more often now.

The 3DS GPU is actually managed by the OS, kinda like a driver. It can be updated/optimized/fixed without having to patch games.

I tried Sonic Racing demo and didn't notice improvements. The game seems CPU-limited.
Well, if M3d10n endorses this I'm much more inclined to believe you guys. I'll have to check this out when I rebuy a 3ds

rjc571

Banned
I was skeptical about this but I tried level 1-11 in Bit Trip Runner just now and I only experienced minor (albeit still frequent) frame drops, whereas the frame drops in that level used to be much worse before. There may be something to this after all.

I was skeptical about this but I tried level 1-11 in Bit Trip Runner just now and I only experienced minor (albeit still frequent) frame drops, whereas the frame drops in that level used to be much worse before. There may be something to this after all.

I noticed this, as well. Level 1-11 does seem smoother now. Mii Street Plaza runs smoother too.

sakipon

It's quite impossible to make a video once you updated your console.

There are people with several 3DS'. Though generally the updates have been great and as 3DS is not truly hacked, I suppose there's not much reason to keep the old firmware. I know I updated all my 4 units right away, otherwise I could've looked into it.

I don't doubt the upgrade though. Looking at the update number this was supposed to be a major one but didn't present cool new features. Instead they did awesome background work.

Doczu

There are people with several 3DS'. Though generally the updates have been great and as 3DS is not truly hacked, I suppose there's not much reason to keep the old firmware. I know I updated all my 4 units right away, otherwise I could've looked into it.

I don't doubt the upgrade though. Looking at the update number this was supposed to be a major one but didn't present cool new features. Instead they did awesome background work.

I meant impossible for me to make a video, because i have only one.

My 3DS XL runs noticeably warmer after the update. The battery area heats up pretty quickly and stays that way.

Add: Resident Evil Revelations's loading hiccups in raid mode are a little faster.

Add 2: Tried a few of the crazier bonus missions in Code of Princess and I would say it's definitely more stable in the frame rate area. Control feels more responsive as a result. I need to find an online match so that things can really get out of control.

BigDug13

Remember when the PSP's processor started out as underclocked? Maybe something similar was happening with the 3DS that they've since uncapped?

M3d10n

Remember when the PSP's processor started out as underclocked? Maybe something similar was happening with the 3DS that they've since uncapped?

Doubt it. Increasing the clock speed would have a consistent effect in all games, and this is not the case. Unlike all consoles released before it the 3DS GPU calls are actually managed by the OS, kinda like a PC and smartphone, so Nintendo probably improved the "driver" that sits between the games and the GPU.

Remember when a firmware updated fixed crashes in Ridge Racer 3D, long before game patches were supported? It was probably a GPU bug.

Doubt it. Unlike all consoles released before it the 3DS GPU calls are actually managed by the OS, kinda like a PC and smartphone. Nintendo probably improved the "driver".

that is almost certainlly what happened, would be interesting to see if they do ever allow games to 'overclock' the chips though, seeing as they both run drastically lower than theyre rated for

-KRS-

My 3DS XL runs noticeably warmer after the update. The battery area heats up pretty quickly and stays that way.

I noticed this with my OG 3DS as well, but since I haven't really touched it in a couple of months now I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it or not. I just left the 3DS running in Mii Plaza for around 15-20 minutes while I had to do something else (for some reason I didn't close the lid) and when I picked it up again I noticed it was pretty warm. Warmer than I remember it getting before.

----

Also I said earlier in this thread that I would test Rayman 3D on my friend's 3DS with firmware 3.x or so and compare it with my fully updated 3DS, but he has recently moved and he couldn't find his 3DS unfortunately.

Iacobellis

Speaking of the Plaza, anyone notice Nikki was added after the SwapNote update? I've had it for over a year now and she just now appeared with the other Mii's.

Donnie

Doubt it. Increasing the clock speed would have a consistent effect in all games, and this is not the case. Unlike all consoles released before it the 3DS GPU calls are actually managed by the OS, kinda like a PC and smartphone, so Nintendo probably improved the "driver" that sits between the games and the GPU.

Remember when a firmware updated fixed crashes in Ridge Racer 3D, long before game patches were supported? It was probably a GPU bug.

Certainly increasing the clock speed of every component in the system would have a consistent effect on all games. But say they only increased the CPU clock, or only the GPU, that would effect each game differently. Some wouldn't gain any noticeable framerate while others would improve drastically. The software theory is very possible, very probable in fact, but I dont think a hardware change can be ruled out. It would be interesting to see a battery life test using the same 3DS and the same game. Three tests before the update and three after (using minimum brightness, no 3D, no wireless and no sound in order to maximise the effect of any extra internal power usage).

M3d10n

Certainly increasing the clock speed of every component in the system would have a consistent effect on all games. But say they only increased the CPU clock, or only the GPU, that would effect each game differently. Some wouldn't gain any noticeable framerate while others would improve drastically. The software theory is very possible, very probable in fact, but I dont think a hardware change can be ruled out. It would be interesting to see a battery life test using the same 3DS and the same game. Three tests before the update and three after (using minimum brightness, no 3D, no wireless and no sound in order to maximise the effect of any extra internal power usage).

Increasing the CPU clock permanently makes zero sense. Why would Nintendo want this? If it were CPU related, the most sensible would be to be opt-in for newer games, like on the PSP. The average user would't like their battery life to go down all of sudden.

Also, the CPU and GPU have their clocks tied, so you couldn't mess with one without mess the other. Due to the reverse engineering done at 3Dbrew, we know the GPU on the 3DS is accessed through a service, kinda like on a PC, and that the commands are managed by the OS (since the GPU can be used by up to four different processes, which would be impossible if games were accessing it directly).

Keep in mind that reducing overhead for OS calls would actually lessen the load on the CPU while the game is rendering. Once the commands reach the GPU they would take the same time as usual to process, but since the CPU has to wait less, it can resume work while the GPU works in parallel.

Tyeforce

Speaking of the Plaza, anyone notice Nikki was added after the SwapNote update? I've had it for over a year now and she just now appeared with the other Mii's.
Yup, via Invite Mii. It's nothing new. Sometimes the Miis from special Swapnotes are sent to your StreetPass Mii Plaza via Invite Mii. Nikki gets bumped up to the front of my Plaza every time we get a new special note from her.

Iacobellis

Yup, via Invite Mii. It's nothing new. Sometimes the Miis from special Swapnotes are sent to your StreetPass Mii Plaza via Invite Mii. Nikki gets bumped up to the front of my Plaza every time we get a new special note from her.

Oh, then she must have been there all along. Never noticed it until today.

Chiming in with my anecdotal evidence here. Dead or Alive Dimensions seems to keep a higher framerate on average in 3D mode. Before I couldn't stand it, and now it seems closer to 30-40? But it still varies by stage. Less screen tearing in 2D mode as well. (I haven't seen any yet post-update)

Intros and victory scenes still seem capped at 30 and 15fps for 2D and 3D mode, respectively.

Chalk it up to placebo, performance improvements, or a sudden tolerance of low framerates in my fighting games. :p

I traded in a lot of my 3DS games so I can't speak on much, but Streetpass Plaza is a lot better.

I wonder if Ghost Recon is a little tighter; sometimes it drops or stutters for a moment for no reason.

hunnies28

Man. Don't know if its related to the update but my 3DS gets hotter while playing MH3 (and I'm using the CPP)
I remember this happening only while playing RE:R before.

Anteo

Man. Don't know if its related to the update but my 3DS gets hotter while playing MH3 (and I'm using the CPP)

Yeah I had it happen with RE:R too. And also on MH3 launch day so I don't think is about the update.

-KRS-

Maybe that's just it. When I noticed that my 3DS was warmer after leaving it running in Mii Plaza for 15-20 minutes, I left it lying on my bed. So probably it's just that the heat couldn't dissipate as well as if I was holding it. The CPP would probably trap more heat in as well.

Giolon

I dunno. I fired up some Code of Princess for the first time in months and it seems to have just as much slowdown as it ever had.

Top Bottom