• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the new 3DS updates fix software issues? Rayman 3D and more run super smooth now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bit Trip Saga seems to be running better. Certainly seems smoother.
ATV Wild Ride 3D also seems smoother.
Tales of Abyss seems also somewhat smoother.

Will continue updating.

Sanic

I have both an updated and unupdated 3ds, along with some of the games people are talking about, like Rayman. If anybody hasnt testing in the next 24 hours or so, I will.

Anteo

Ok I just tested again the SSF4 3D thing, slowdown is almost non existant on Ryu vs Sagat Fireball fight, my untrained eyes can't notice slowdown now.

Also, the last updated allows the 3ds to download spotpass things even in game right? That wasn't possible before so I guess something must have been unlocked for that. You can't just say "yeah lets start a new background process" just like that and expect the games to not be affected.

The Hermit

Neat... Will test when I get home, really interested in Luigi's Mansion performance, the framerate (especially in3D) is really bothering me.

BitTrip (Specificly Runner) was the biggest offender before, and I had to turn off the 3D to make it playable. It seems more stable and a bit faster in 3D now, but still lags significantly compared to turning 3D off.

Ridge Racer might be better? But it's always been hit and miss because the drops were often with heavy cars in certain tracks and certain corners. I haven't seen the drops like before, so maybe it did get better?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Anyone who thinks you need to target specific software to see performance enhancements is incorrect.

Any word on if Fire Emblem plays smoother now? With 3D on the game can slow to a crawl if, for example, you're using your dragon people.

Anteo

Anyone who thinks you need to target specific software to see performance enhancements is incorrect.

So, improvements to the system, like decreased use of the main core for OS functions would in turn, improve every title that was having problems, like for example skipping frames and thus some software will run smother.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I still want to hear some opinions about the last update and the fact that we can now get spotpass in game, I don't think just a update would allow you to do that, something else have to handle that while running the game, so at least one core now can handle it while doing everything it did before.

Any word on if Fire Emblem plays smoother now? With 3D on the game can slow to a crawl if, for example, you're using your dragon people.

True, forgot about that, I had framerate problems when too many units get around, specifically in Tiki's stage. I'll test it.

This isn't the first time I'm hearing this. There were people on 3DS forums saying that there was a lot less slowdown in Kid Icarus's multiplayer after the update. I was skeptical but now that others seem to be noticing it too I'm interested in what they did.

Mr Swine

Banned
This isn't the first time I'm hearing this. There were people on 3DS forums saying that there was a lot less slowdown in Kid Icarus's multiplayer after the update. I was skeptical but now that others seem to be noticing it too I'm interested in what they did.

I think it largely depends on which game it is as I don't see any improvement on Resident Evil:The Mercenaries 3D. My sis has a 3DSXL as do I but it hasn't the latest firmware. I can do a test later on

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So, improvements to the system, like decreased use of the main core for OS functions would in turn, improve every title that was having problems, like for example skipping frames and thus some software will run smother.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Haha. Sure.

If you think of a platform like Java, Java handles memory in an automated way. In other platforms like C++, you have to tell the program when to clear things out - think standard transmission vs automatic. This means that Java can run things inefficiently for some programs but not others, depending on how they're designed. Conceivably, a change to the way Java handles this data could greatly affect anything which runs on Java, without going in and specifically making changes to a program that runs on Java.

As a layman-y example.

Mii Plaza definitely got a huge performance boost. The system used to go down to 15fps when you bought a new piece using coins. It barely drops at all now.

Mr Swine

Banned
Tested RE: M3D for 5 minutes and the improvements are huge! I played as Jill and being close to one of the monks holding a shield gave me a bit slowdown using the machine gun. With several enemies or monk with shield you notice the game slow downs a bit when the machine gun shoots at them (a kind of delay in the played animation if you know what I mean). This was with the original 3DS with pre update.

Now when I played on my 3DSXL I got the same slowdown in the RE4 town in the house if you look around at the corner near the window. But upon shooting several monks and one with a shield didn't even give any slow down like it did pre patch. Man this is some sort of voodoo!

Also loading times are better too!

3DS pre patch: 12 seconds
3DSXL post patch: 9 seconds.

It feels like its a brand new game!

bigpumbaa

So I just stumbled upon this thread and happen to have my Pika 3DS(5.1) alongside my old original blue XL (4.5).

Rayman is definitely a bit improved. Tested the first level and things are all around smoother. Certainly still some slowdown on 5.1, but it's noticeably smoother. Went to the same level (the first one) and did the same things. Also there's a pan down when the main menu is loaded. On the 4.5 DS is stuttered. On the 5.1 DS is was smooth as silk.

Bit Trip Runner is also smoother - no lag when 3D is on.

I don't think this is placebo (honestly, I wasn't even sure if my Blue was updated or not until I checked it).

Seems pretty verified to me - at least based on Rayman and Bit Trip.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tested RE: M3D for 5 minutes and the improvements are huge! I played as Jill and being close to one of the monks holding a shield gave me a bit slowdown using the machine gun. With several enemies or monk with shield you notice the game slow downs a bit when the machine gun shoots at them (a kind of delay in the played animation if you know what I mean). This was with the original 3DS with pre update.

Now when I played on my 3DSXL I got the same slowdown in the RE4 town in the house if you look around at the corner near the window. But upon shooting several monks and one with a shield didn't even give any slow down like it did pre patch. Man this is some sort of voodoo!

Also loading times are better too!

3DS pre patch: 12 seconds
3DSXL post patch: 9 seconds.

It feels like its a brand new game!

So I just stumbled upon this thread and happen to have my Pika 3DS(5.1) alongside my old original blue XL (4.5).

Rayman is definitely a bit improved. Tested the first level and things are all around smoother. Certainly still some slowdown on 5.1, but it's noticeably smoother. Went to the same level (the first one) and did the same things. Also there's a pan down when the main menu is loaded. On the 4.5 DS is stuttered. On the 5.1 DS is was smooth as silk.

Bit Trip Runner is also smoother - no lag when 3D is on.

I don't think this is placebo (honestly, I wasn't even sure if my Blue was updated or not until I checked it).

Seems pretty verified to me - at least based on Rayman and Bit Trip.

Thanks for the side by side comparisons.
I have 2 units at home, I'll try myself a bit too.

Mit-

Videos please. :(

I get that YouTube limits to 30fps but it sounds like there's some drastic differences in some games, and a simple video of both 3DS's performing the same part of a game shouldn't be too difficult. If you don't have two copies of the game, record two separate videos and combine them into one side-by-side.

RM8

Man, if Sonic Racing (demo) indeed goes from awful to mediocre I might consider buying it just to have a handheld version. I adore that game in its real form. And also it seems like I might consider buying Rayman 3D now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My Mii Plaza was dick, just tried. Now getting the update.

Edit: Unable to update. Twice in a row. Fork you, Nintendo.

Edit #2: Yay it moved 1/3 of the bar before failing. I'm gonna assume the update won't start where it left off.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm. I haven't played Rayman 3D in some time, but I am interested in testing later tonight.

stuminus3

Banned
My Mii Plaza was dick, just tried. Now getting the update.

Edit: Unable to update. Twice in a row. Fork you, Nintendo.
On the bright side, I finally understand how people are able to accidentally appear to have double posted!

(Not being sarcastic, just something I've always wondered since it's impossible to do 'normally').

Easy_D

never left the stone age
On the bright side, I finally understand how people are able to accidentally appear to have double posted!

(Not being sarcastic, just something I've always wondered since it's impossible to do 'normally').

At least my eShop misfortune has been of benefit for someone :p

ToTA is mostly the same, the world map frame rate is a bit more stable now. Before the update, the game would stutter a little whenever an enemy materialized on the world map. Doesn't seem to happen anymore after the update.

Kingdom Hearts 3D is mostly the same, although there's one noticeable area of improvement. In one part of the game, there's a huge carnival area with rollercoasters, a ferris wheel, merry go round, etc. It's a pretty huge room, and just walking around caused the frame rate to tank, let alone getting into battles, where it would drop into the single digits on occasion. After the update, it's a lot more stable now. Nowhere near perfect (and it's still pretty bad when you do engage enemies), but it definitely shows that there was an improvement.

Doczu

Is there any way to be sure that the soft has been optimised, drivers updated or CPU clocked higher?

M3d10n

I noticed the framerate in the Castlevania MOF demo improved as well. It actually holds 30fps much more often now.

Wouldn't the games need a patch? I can't imagine a system update would enhance random software performance.

The 3DS GPU is actually managed by the OS, kinda like a driver. It can be updated/optimized/fixed without having to patch games.

Man, if Sonic Racing (demo) indeed goes from awful to mediocre I might consider buying it just to have a handheld version. I adore that game in its real form. And also it seems like I might consider buying Rayman 3D now.

I tried Sonic Racing demo and didn't notice improvements. The game seems CPU-limited.

Tyeforce

Hm... This makes me wonder about Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger. Reviewers have said that it runs smoother than the first game, but could that just be a result of this latest system update, meaning that the original game likely runs just as smooth now? It's been a long time since I've played the first game and I haven't started the sequel yet, so I can't compare myself right now.

M3d10n

Hm... This makes me wonder about Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger. Reviewers have said that it runs smoother than the first game, but could that just be a result of this latest system update, meaning that the original game likely runs just as smooth now? It's been a long time since I've played the first game and I haven't started the sequel yet, so I can't compare myself right now.

I'll test home, but I doubt it. The overworld is definitely locked at 20fps, it's not caused by slow downs. It's more a case of getting used to the system and writing more optimized code, like Crashmo (which puts a fuckton more stuff on screen than Pushmo).

Tyeforce

Sonic racing demo is still just as janky as it was before.
Definitely not in my experience, and I have the actual game and have played a good deal of it. For me, it definitely performs much better than before. It's still not the best, of course, butI find it much more enjoyable now with the steadier frame rate.

RM8

Definitely not in my experience, and I have the actual game and have played a good deal of it. For me, it definitely performs much better than before. It's still not the best, of course, butI find it much more enjoyable now with the steadier frame rate.
Even with 3D on? Are the track-transforming "pauses" still there?

M3d10n

Code of Princess seems better. The game still slowdowns, but it doesn't dip as gravely as it did.

Same with Nano Assault EX: frame drops below 30fps are very rare now, while before it could drop to sub 20 in busy areas. The screen tearing during the level clear animation is also either gone completely or reduced, depending on the level. Boss deaths no longer don't bring the system to it's knees.

The result varies a lot from game to game (since it depends on each individual game bottlenecks).

DekuLink

Scrolling fast through the puzzle panels in puzzle swap caused slowdowns for me every time before, smooth and nice now.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad these improvements are actually happening. There were a lot of people in disbelief
because they refuse to believe Rayman 3D and Sonic Generations are good in the first place ;)
, so it's good to see some hard evidence.

Keep testing out games and apps guys! I'll update the OP with more information if you can provide further testing.

Top Bottom