• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital And You: What is Your Confidence Level in Your Digital Games Being Available?

Drek

Interested in getting a general feeling of a relatively serious gaming community on how we all feel our digitally owned products will make it through the years.

As an example of what I'm talking about I'll give my situation:
I've owned basically every major system made since I graduated high school. I still have most of them (X360 and GC being the exceptions, but kept a lot of the GC games since they play on my Wii). For PS2, Xbox, GC, and Wii it's basically all physical (some digitized to HD loaders, but worst comes to worst I have the physical discs still).

But after some time since the move to PS4 I started looking over my PS3 collection. If you take away PS+ titles it had some serious holes you can't fill on a more contemporary platform. If you take away the digitally bought games as well it was downright anemic.

So since this is a time of great PS360 software sales I've been rebuilding my PS3's physical library. Grabbing games I can't get elsewhere or best versions of games, sometimes even when I have access to the digital version. Red Dead Redemption is an example of this (it was a PS+ title). I've also picked up ZOE HD, MGS4, Nier, Resistance 1-3, the Motorstorms, AC: Rogue, and a handful of other games. I'm now scanning for cheap ICO/Shadow of the Colossus copies even though I have access to them through PS+.

Basically, I have no faith that Sony isn't going to turn off their PS3 servers in the next ~5 years and I'm pretty sure I'll be up for some Red Dead or SotC beyond that, or that my kids will want to play them. Maybe they get re-released, maybe they don't. When I'm grabbing these games for <$20, many for <$10 I feel like it's worth insulating myself against the risk.

I have serious concerns on this front with my Vita, but also can't picture paying physical copy prices to try transitioning that library, especially since over half of my favorite games on it are digital only.

Meanwhile I have over 300 games in my Steam library and have basically zero fear that Steam won't be able to provide them to me in 5, 10, or even 20 years time.

So GAF, how do you feel about your legacy digital titles?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
0%

As long as physical software is a choice I'm able to make, I'm making it. It's cheaper, and the flexibility is invaluable.

Senteevs

I game exclusively on XBox and since the backwards compatibility announcement I'm pretty at ease.
I believe that all future XBox consoles will support games released for older generations. Maybe there will even be PC backwards compatibility down the line.

TLDR: I'm resting easy.

wvnative

360 is discontinued and servers remain active and will for a long time coming.

PSP is discontinued and store shut down, but you can still retrieve your digital games and buy new ones on vita and PS3

Those are the only 2 examples of fully killed off digital systems, but those 2 examples have me feeling good.

oni-link

My digital Nintendo titles will go down with the consoles

Then again, disk rot is a thing as well

Nothing is permanent

Depends on the company PSN and Steam I'm quite confident in but with Nintendo I'd rather go physical. I haven't used the others much to comment.

Drek

360 is discontinued and servers remain active and will for a long time coming.

PSP is discontinued and store shut down, but you can still retrieve your digital games and buy new ones on vita and PS3

Those are the only 2 examples of fully killed off digital systems, but those 2 examples have me feeling good.

So you have complete faith that in 5 years time those PSP digital servers will still be up?

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid after seeing how long it took for many Games for Windows titles to get migrated (and that was basically just an online play/drm tool ran by one of the largest server operators in the world) but I feel like at some point they're going to pull the plug on us.

Nephtes

95%

All of my multiplaform games are Xbox this gen and all digital..
And now my last gen 360 digital games are showing up on XOne!
With Microsoft's commitment to bring games forward and getting rid of the console generation... I'm pretty confident my digital library will still be there...
until they cancel it like Scalebound...

I wish I would have bought more games digitally last gen.

Drek

Another layer of this concern of mine is how many of my favorite PS3 games had PS+ releases (ICO/SotC, Demon's Souls, RDR, Ni No Kuni just to name a few).

What is the confidence level in the licensing for these games surviving the test of time via PS+? Same for Games with Gold? Sony and MS could pull the plug on legacy support there whenever they feel like it, make legacy game support an additional annual fee, or any number of other prohibitive measures.

Honestly, aside from assorted Nintendo titles my interest in replaying modern games is at an all time low anyway. I own zero PS4 physical copies because of this and that's with the uncertainty of a digital future. If I'm unable to redownload them in 15 years, oh well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't bought a console game digitally since... the debut of Limbo, I think, so I honestly don't care if my PSN/XBL libraries disappear. Steam is a different story, however Steam Support has maintained for years now that "measures are in place to ensure that all users will continue to have access to their Steam games" and at this stage I'm not concerned as my theory is that, should Valve go kaput, it'd update the numerous third-party content servers to act as authentication servers also, meaning it'd be business as usual as far as signing in and downloading games is concerned for as long as someone is willing to host a server (Steamworks-based MP and Steam Community would be non-functional, I imagine).

zelas

Homebrew community exists so Sony, MS, and Nintendo can do whatever they want with 7th gen servers. 8th gen is already shaping up to be the same. I'm confident I'll be able to play the games I care about.

Fisty

Feel pretty confident in PSN stuff being available in many years. PSP stuff is still available, and I don't think they'd risk the PR hit of killing PS3 or Vita service anytime in the next 10-15 years

MS I really had no faith in after completely axing GFWL and OG Xbox store with no recourse. They look like they found a way to keep selling 360 games so hopefully they will keep those titles available in the future.

PS4 and XB1 titles I have no doubt we will be able to play for decades

Thankfully Nintendo's hardware is pretty durable and pretty easy to softmod so it's not really an issue there

black070

By the time the license is lost (if it ever does), the games value will have tanked and I will have no interest in returning to it - so that's never been a concern for me.

Keeping games that I've already bought and downloaded? I feel like 99% confident that I'm going to have access to that game for long enough -- as in, long enough for that game to maintain its relevance to me.

Games being continually available for download forever, even after I've made an initial purchase? 50/50 at best. Companies can fall, and they will take their entire delivery system with them if they do.

Being able to play downloaded games offline? Seems I've run into more trouble with this than I ever wanted to, particularly on PC and Xbox One, so confidence tends to be low. Nintendo doesn't have an account system that makes my purchases transfer cross-device yet, but I do appreciate that it never hassles me about an online connection for my digital games, and I hope that particular part of being digital on Nintendo continues on Switch... Because I'm going to be going digital there, more or less because I got sick of dealing with tiny carts on my handhelds and I don't want that to be a big part of the experience when I do take my Switch on the go.

Convenience? Super convenient. I've moved a lot in the last few years and bringing my physical media (in any form) has been an increasingly large hassle I'd rather not think about. And the actual user experience when I'm trying to USE game software is super awesome, being able to just switch software without any physical action beyond the controller. NOTE: This is counter-acted by internet speeds and bandwidth caps, though -- both of those factors, despite being external, are incredibly prohibitive and inconvenient.

I'm currently weighted in favor of using digital and would like my PS4 to be my last physical platform ever after being all digital on PC, Xbox One, 3DS, and Vita. I'll be attempting all digital on Switch to start, but if DRM creeps up in a similar fashion to my past experiences with Xbox One and PC, then I'm going back to digital and just dealing with carts. However, I am not without my reservations and worries, but as someone said, games only seem to stay relevant to my interest in actual playing them for a certain amount of time -- there are a wide range of games I have no regrets having ever played or owned at one point, but actually maintaining and carrying those with me forward in life is starting to become an increasingly low priority.

I will never go digital with Nintendo again; which is a shame because Switch seems like a great device to go digital with. But fuck Nintendo and their digital ideologies.

norm9

All digital on my xbox and wiiu. In five years I "probably" won't care if a game is no longer available to play as I'll have moved on to something new. As is, I still have a good number of physical games (dating back to the ogxbox, ps2, and gamecube) that aren't open that I will someday (never) play, so it works the same way. As long as the digital games work for the next few years, that's cool with me.

Regiruler

As long as I have the console, I keep the game.

I don't want my games from a subscription. I guess the thing nintendo is doing with their service is so pathetic I won't count it anyway.

Delisting games is also unacceptable. License holders should be better about this.

50% Give me cheaper new digital games and make it worth my while. I can get brand new games from Amazon for 20% off but Sony wont do the same for digital? I am confident because of the sales. That makes me love digital over physical.

Digital offers no advantage other than no disc swapping but I am not that lazy that I can't get up and switch discs.

Retail offers:
-Physical Game and Case
-Possible Physical Goodies (Maps, Reversible Covers, etc)
-Ability to share the game with a friend easily
-Ability to sell or trade the game easily

PSN, XBL and the eShop rarely ever have games on sale for a cheaper price than retail, and when you add GCU and Prime discounts its even more rare.

I see no reason for digital...at all. This thread is a great example.

yyr

I have pretty good confidence that Steam will remain up for a long time, due to its continued success.

I also have complete confidence that MS will keep X360 and XB1 stuff up for a long time, at least until the downloads have slowed to the point where they feel it's no longer justifiable. That's what they did with OG Xbox, anyway. Meanwhile, 360 was much more successful, many 360 games remain popular, and Gold subscriptions will keep revenue rolling in. Further, Microsoft has a diversified business, and they're not going anywhere anytime soon. (Note: while it's true that all XBLIG will be delisted in September, the downloads will remain available to folks who've purchased them.)

I have less confidence that Sony will keep PS3 stuff around for an extended period. The way they cut off PS Mobile so abruptly gives me pause. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Nobody can ever predict Nintendo, so I won't speculate there. The Wii Shop Channel is still open, and DSiWare remains purchasable on 3DS systems, so there's that.

Calibos

320-ish Xbox games

20-ish PS4 Games

15-ish PC games

All digital so I am a bit nervous. Mostly because of the Online requirements that are prevalent in a lot of games these days.

Then again, looking at my library, I must be fairly confident or I just won't care in a few years

JaseC

MS I really had no faith in after completely axing GFWL and OG Xbox store with no recourse. They look like they found a way to keep selling 360 games so hopefully they will keep those titles available in the future.

It's only the GFWL Marketplace that's dead. You can still download games you'd purchased prior to the shutdown and the service itself remains operational... for the time being.

I'm very partial to digital now with Remote Play and VR. If I'm playing at work and unable to physically change the game disc out, then I'm stuck playing whatever's left inside the machine, and I hate having to take the VR off just to change games.

This also may be a lesser complaint to many, but the fact that I don't have to 'lend out' games to cousins or friends and never get them back or get them back late and have to hound them for it is invaluable. Just hit 'Share' and let them play it themselves. It also helps me keep my living room neat since the drawer I keep my games discs in is getting full. I started going back and buying digital on MS and Sony machines just to make space and take advantage of the added convenience

JaseC

Unless your account gets perma banned. Then you loose access to those games for ever. At least on Steam it does.

Valve stopped banning/suspending accounts half a decade ago ago now. Nowadays there's a restriction-based penalty system that, at worst, prevents you from purchasing from the store/activating gifts/registering retail keys and accessing Steam Community (including auxiliary features such as the Community Market and trading). In other words, while you can be prevented from adding games to your library, you'll never be denied access to it.

I have a huge 360 digital library and didn't have much confidence Microsoft would keep the servers up much longer after launching the Xbox One. Their continued commitment to backwards compatibility and keeping it for their consoles forward have alleviated my concerns for now and have encouraged me to continue to buy within their ecosystem.

95%. Except maybe PSN stuff.

Anything involving Steam shutting down would most likely give me years notice to backup my library. My Wii U games don't online authenticate after install so I could back those up as well if I felt the need.

G0523

I'm having a tough time with this as well. On one hand, when digital games go on sale or are free it makes it much harder to keep my physical copy. Xbox 360 is particularly good about the free part since you get to keep it regardless of whether or not you have Xbox Live Gold. However, on the other hand, not every game has gone digital, or worse have been delisted. I hate looking at my collection and knowing that it's gotten more split between physical and digital. I wish it was all one or the other like it used to be. I have a lot of confidence that my digital games will still be there 5-10 years from now. I don't have confidence that I can't make my collection be all digital or all physical now or ever.

Fisty

Digital offers no advantage other than no disc swapping but I am not that lazy that I can't get up and switch discs.

Retail offers:
-Physical Game and Case
-Possible Physical Goodies (Maps, Reversible Covers, etc)
-Ability to share the game with a friend easily
-Ability to sell or trade the game easily

PSN, XBL and the eShop rarely ever have games on sale for a cheaper price than retail, and when you add GCU and Prime discounts its even more rare.

I see no reason for digital...at all. This thread is a great example.

No reason? At all?

What if you are playing Vita on the train and someone nabs your bag with 40+ games in it?

What if you are changing out a game and accidently drop and scratch the disc?

What happens if someone breaks into your house and steals your 2500-game collection?

What if your wife decides she's tired of you spending more time with Xbox than with her and donates/burns all your shit?

What if Sony decides to have a flash sale where you can get AAA games for $6-12 when they are $20-30 at retail?

What if I want to share my entire collection with a relative so we can play online co-op games together for free?

No reason at all though

RedSwirl

Depends on the platform.

--PC is probably where digital purchases are the most secure. I'm pretty confident I'll still be able to install my 300+ Steam games in five or 10 years. Many Steam games don't actually have any DRM and can be booted up outside Steam once installed. Then there are GOG and Humble where you pretty much DO own the games that don't have any DRM.

--Microsoft seems to actually be following through with its backwards compatibility plans. Those 360 games will even be playable on Scorpio.

--Sony's in an odd position. In previous years it looked like Sony cared a lot about legacy software, but now it doesn't seem to care much outside PSNow and re-selling PS2 games with trophies. I'd have thought it would have brought PS1 Classics and simple PS2 classics to PS4 by now, and then maybe the PS5 might be powerful enough to emulate PS3. I think PS5 will be similar enough to PS4 though to have basically perfect BC with PS4 games though.

--Switch? Who knows. Nintendo was forced to abandoned the architecture it's been using since Gamecube and pretty much start over. The Nvidia hardware offers a lot of potential for maintaining a singular platform going forward, but the status of anything left behind is uncertain at best barring total port jobs.

Top Bottom