• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

SHA

I want to play MGS Delta and GTA 6 on it
I'm not trying to let people down here, but do you think you'll get the best (ultra preset) version of this game before PC? I'm not saying it's unwise for them to do it, but it's pretty obvious the best version ain't gonna last on pro at least for another 2 years.

Oppoi

Hiroki said that when people see the PS5 Pro they're goning to forget about the Xbox. No he didn't say it, that would be pathetic.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm not trying to let people down here, but do you think you'll get the best (ultra preset) version of this game before PC? I'm not saying it's unwise for them to do it, but it's pretty obvious the best version ain't gonna last on pro at least for another 2 years.

Lol. Does GTA V on PC even have RT reflections yet??? PS5 Pro will be the best way to play GTA VI for YEARS to come

#PSMR

SHA

PS5:

Lmto8cg.jpeg

PS5 Pro:

fAOCv1I.gif

PS6:

C4jPJkW.gif
Ps6 Pro
oPx4zjZ.png

Oppoi

Calling for all PS bros get ourselves Hiroki avatars! We can even have our very own slogans too like "I believe in Hiroki" with opportunistic backgrounds. Or would that be cringe?

Last edited:

Bojji

Weird comment to make; the PS5 Pro would be formidable upgrade even without the 45% raster improvement because of PSSR and RT. The fact that we get 45% GPU on top of all this makes any reference or comparison to PS4 Pro downright laughable.

Nothing phenomenal about 45% jump in power of an already capable machine? If you told me that games will look 1.5 x better on PS5 Pro than they do now, that would be stellar. Even the jump to PS4 Pro was pretty significant.

We only had one generation of pro consoles so far so in comparison to PS4 pro and XOX this console doesn't look that amazing:

PS4 1.8TF -> PS4P 4.2 - 2.3x more powerful

XB1 1.3TF -> XOX 6TF - 4.6x more powerful

PS5 Pro looks to be over 1.6x more powerful on paper and 1.45x in real life.

Jump in image quality between XB1 and PS4 games and PS4 pro and XOX was MASSIVE. Many Xbox one X games have higher resolution than current gen games. 2160cb on pro also looked excellent on 4k tvs vs 1080p on standard PS4.

This power jump isn't very impressive after 4 years (we had PS4 pro after 3)...

But GAF told me that Digital Foundry hates the Playstation.

They are not allowed to be excited and want to see what the new machine is capable of.
Dude wtf are you talking about??

Months ago they made a video about that they don't see a reason to release a PS5 pro.

Excited?? They downplayed the capabilities or the excitement for this machine for months now they are talking about it because the machine will be announced and other tech sites are talking about it and they are forced to talk about It too.

If MS would release a pro they would start to talk how awesome this would be(from the beginning) and how this would enhance the existing games.

But when Sony releases a pro It will be hard for developers to code two versions.😂🤣(But for Bugaga It's not hard for PC devs to release a game that has to run on what? Thousands of configurations??)

Now they just talk about It for the clicks.

Being forced to defend this nonsense is really embarrassing.

Don't distort the facts.

Last edited:

Alebrije

We only had one generation of pro consoles so far so in comparison to PS4 pro and XOX this console doesn't look that amazing:

Jump in image quality between XB1 and PS4 games and PS4 pro and XOX was MASSIVE. Many Xbox one X games have higher resolution than current gen games. 2160cb on pro also looked excellent on 4k tvs vs 1080p on standard PS4.

Interesting , when PS4 pro launched I was not impressed , but when Xbox one X was released the image quality jumped a lot, that is why I got an Scorpio at launch and kept my PS4.

Red Dead R 2 on Scorpio looks great , 4k 60fps was Wow!!?for a console of "last" generation. A Lot of other games have the 4k 60fps combo on Scorpio but RDR2 is on another level.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Interesting , when PS4 pro launched I was not impressed , but when Xbox one X was released the image quality jumped a lot, that is why I got an Scorpio at launch and kept my PS4.

Red Dead R 2 on Scorpio looks great , 4k 60fps was Wow!!?for a console of "last" generation. A Lot of other games have the 4k 60fps combo on Scorpio but RDR2 is on another level.
So much on another level that it made you imagine things. RDR2 is not 60fps on any console.

Oppoi

No no, not cringe at all. I think all Sony bros should do it

Happy Oh Yeah GIF by Afta Hill
That way if Playstation is ever in a dire situation we all chip in and make it seem like everything is alright on the internet. Better than alright actually. Best it ever was!

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Again, you are focusing on the most inconsequential upgrade of the PS5 Pro. We are receiving hardware AI Upscaling and 3x faster ray tracing. Why don't you convert this into TF and come back with calculations - how many RDNA 2 teraflops are needed to produce identical results as a PS5 Pro?

DAHGAMING

Ah for fuck sake, looks like I will have to wave the white flag and admit Xbox will no longer be the most powerfull console in the world. The good news though is il be picking up a PS5 pro, official PS headset and accessories, take 1 of them pics of it all in my car and post it up on here saying I have joined the Sony Alpha mandem 💪💪💪

Seriously wondering what the PS6 specs would be. Probably based fof tech that does not yet exist?
Hopefully more powerful than the next xbox. Which promised the largest technical leap. Though im getting both consoles for GP.

Im hoping they do away with load times altogether on PS6. When the PS5 came out wasn't it comparable to an RTX 2070/2060? So maybe PS6 will be comparable to whatever RTX graphics cards they have out. The RTX 6000 or 7000 series.

Last edited:

Oppoi

Ah for fuck sake, looks like I will have to wave the white flag and admit Xbox will no longer be the most powerfull console in the world. The good news though is il be picking up a PS5 pro, official PS headset and accessories, take 1 of them pics of it all in my car and post it up on here saying I have joined the Sony Alpha mandem 💪💪💪
Don't you dare mention all these must have products and services and intentionally leave out Playstation Plus! Did you know about the games currently avaliable and upcoming? No? Well shit I better whip the ever linving life out of those lazy Playstation Ambassadors!

Don't you dare mention all these must have products and services and intentionally leave out Playstation Plus! Did you know about the games currently avaliable and upcoming? No? Well shit I better whip the ever linving life out of those lazy Playstation Ambassadors!
Did you hear about Playstation Minus? It will come with the shittest games available on the PS store every month. Best part is its free and they pay you $$$ every month to play shitty games.

Last edited:

Oppoi

Did you hear about Playstation Minus? It will come with the shittest games available on the PS store every month. Best part is its free and they pay you $$$ every month to play shitty games.
I think that would work. It's all about that engagement.

Last edited:

skit_data

It's pretty funny that the specs and features are discussed so openly without any form of official announcement from Playstation. Let's hope they won't stretch this out to fall or something.

Bojji

Again, you are focusing on the most inconsequential upgrade of the PS5 Pro. We are receiving hardware AI Upscaling and 3x faster ray tracing. Why don't you convert this into TF and come back with calculations - how many RDNA 2 teraflops are needed to produce identical results as a PS5 Pro?

PlayStation console (gens + PS4P) updates were mostly about power jump so far so I don't see how it's the most inconsequential thing.

RT upgrade is nice but most console games don't have any RT (maybe that will change) and you still have to render a lot of stuff in traditional way so this 2-4x uplift is only for some portions of every frame.

PSSR is the biggest thing but this was inevitable. Nintendo will use DLSS in next console and XESS in theory can run on Xbox (and PS5 Pro, haha) - even Apple has Ai upscaling. Everything is going in this direction so it's good that Sony is adopting it but it's not some groundbreaking achievement, just natural progress (and AMD is behind as always). Not to mention that TSR (non Ai upscaling) is not that far behind in quality compared to DLSS but locked to UE5 games.

Even fucking FSR is getting upgrade.

mitchman

Gold Member
I cant quite understand there is a boost mode.. but he shouldn't be used ? Why ? Why not use all the power ?
Because you will need to reduce the power consumption of the CPU to keep within the power budget. This might not be a problem, reducing the CPU power by 10% to squeeze more GPU performance out of it might be a worthwhile tradeoff in many games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Will you please from the bottom of your heart buy me one? Ive been doing your life's mission. Keeping my butthole immaculately clean with a bidet.
I’ll think about it but it’s not JUST about cleanliness.

The circumference , the coloring and the number of ridges and their uniformity all play their parts.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
My body is ready......

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The PS5 TF number was jumping between 9 and 11 before the actual reveal. Nothing is certain.
Excuse me....dont you mean 8 and 11? Hell, 4-8 and 13 was on the table at one point.

Mahavastu

So for those of us who are technically inept, is that good or bad?
You should not expect an 4090 killing monster machine!

The biggest upgrade is the new PSSR upscaler, which I assume will upscale a 1080p input to a better 4k output image quality then the "old" fsr2 upscaler did with an 1440p input. So the PS5 pro has to compute about half the pixels for same or better image quality.
Now add the 45+ percent faster rendering performance and with the new upscaler you get a decent performance boost (about double), which should enable the devs to use much higher settings on the PS5 pro.
The better Ray Tracing should make it possible to get better lightning and reflections even in the 60fps modes. So far the consoles in most games had problems to do this in 30fps.

So while I am still disappointed about the tiny "on paper" improvements of the PS5 Pro, I guess me and many others will be quite happy about the results in the real world.
Anyway, see it as an evolution of the PS5 experience, not a revolution which will blow you away!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My body is ready......

Excuse me....dont you mean 8 and 11? Hell, 4-8 and 13 was on the table at one point.

lol.....was it 8? I can't remember. I do remember that I was just a lurker here when that one guy on GAF was claiming that he heard a "birdy" and that the TF number was 11. He was convincing......and yet wrong.

I’ll think about it but it’s not JUST about cleanliness.

The circumference , the coloring and the number of ridges and their uniformity all play their parts.
Thank you. I'll actually play it, it won't be collecting dust, like your PS5 pro might be.

I'll make you a monument on my PS5 pro in minecraft. And make daily sacrifices of worship.

Sweaty gamers across the land will know the name Intentional Pun.

My butthole has ridges like this:

XfkUGhN.jpeg

My girlfriend says the flavor and smell of my butthole is closer to honey mustard. But i am unable to smell myself. I lost my sense of smell in a horrible nose picking accident.

Please have mercy on my ass Lord Pun

Puss In Boots Puppy Dog Eyes GIF

twinspectre

This has to be the most idiotic generation ever. People buying whatever they sell them (PlayStation Portal) games costing more than PC, midgen upgrade without seeing PS5 (standard) having games that makes you go "WOW".

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
lol.....was it 8? I can't remember. I do remember that I was just a lurker here when that one guy on GAF was claiming that he heard a "birdy" and that the TF number was 11. He was convincing......and yet wrong.
I was just referencing the narrative about Sony upclocked it at the last minute, lol.

Curious listening to the video now and Alex think VRS might get more or better use since the PS5 Pro has hardware VRS.

So....DF warming up to the PS5 Pro?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PlayStation console (gens + PS4P) updates were mostly about power jump so far so I don't see how it's the most inconsequential thing.

Because this is a new era focusing on RT and ML for more effective and efficient rendering.

RT upgrade is nice but most console games don't have any RT

Excuse me??

(maybe that will change) and you still have to render a lot of stuff in traditional way so this 2-4x uplift is only for some portions of every frame.

And yet RT mode is most often the difference between 30fps and 60fps modes.

PSSR is the biggest thing but this was inevitable. Nintendo will use DLSS in next console and XESS in theory can run on Xbox (and PS5 Pro, haha) - even Apple has Ai upscaling. Everything is going in this direction so it's good that Sony is adopting it but it's not some groundbreaking achievement, just natural progress (and AMD is behind as always). Not to mention that TSR (non Ai upscaling) is not that far behind in quality compared to DLSS but locked to UE5 games.

Even fucking FSR is getting upgrade.

In the console space, it's groundbreaking. It's also the first end to end implementation focused in one specific platform.

MikeM

Throw most stuff out the window of the tech speak just know its about 45% more powerful than the current PS5 and on top of that will have PSSR to upscale patched games and will have much better ray tracing
Better raster. Far better RT. Upscaling is the wildcard that I need to see before making any commitments. Still a very healthy upgrade where it matters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom