• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Is this the first UE3 game on next gen ?. Maybe a case of a rush job on getting the engine to run on the new consoles since it was built around totally different console architectures.

jett

D-Member
PS1 characters have more detailed textures than PS360 Garret. Was that really the best they could do? I guess after being so long in development Squeenix just wanted to release something.

iceatcs

They have better road layers in the X1 version, the AI must be dumb for the road layers in the PS4 version :p

But it is really bad, like literally dangerous for my eyes.

I can't beleive Xbox can't do parallax mapping, even RPG maker engine have one.

TUROK

So we have to deal with the kneejerk "DF is biased" garbage every time they favor an Xbox One game? I suppose the people parroting that haven't read the last dozen DF comparisons, especially since they obviously didn't read this article.

It seems those people want a comparison of "which console is more powerful" as if their personal choice needs to be affirmed nonstop. Nobody would ever deny that the PS4 is more powerful, that shouldn't need to constantly be reiterated as that's not what is being analyzed. It's not hard to understand that running a game at a higher resolution and framerate can lead to other things being bumped down, sometimes things that matter quite a bit.

It's not really some earth shattering result and calling any criticism of the PS4 version of a game bias means you pretty much don't want actual graphical analysis and instead want the console you own to be praised at every opportunity with anything else being heresy. No matter how valid it is.
These threads always play out this way. They didn't even favor the game, they just said that the One version slightly edges out the PS4 version. But yes, you're going to see a lot of "biased" accusations thrown out in any DF thread that says anything nice about the One, especially if they overlook something.

Congratulations to Xbone beating the PS4 for the first time, according to DF. The war has become stale and boring, since it basically was not a war, but a beat down.

It's ironic though that the Xbone version has won with the expected inferior performance and the absence of true HD resolution. But this time it's a virtue! The tradeoff has ''edged'' the Xbone version over the PS4.

A win is a win. The streak has been broken. Chalk one up for Xbone for having better filtering, the war is heating up. DF, we eagerly await your next analysis.

Looks like digital foundry realised the polygon-method of getting more clicks.

Subjectively choose which effects you think provide a better experience to declare a winner!

If they both have issues call it a draw.

bidguy

Banned
But it is really bad, like literally dangerous for my eyes.

I can't beleive Xbox can't do parallax mapping, even RPG maker engine have one.

so just because this dev couldnt implement it to the game on xbox it means that no dev can ? i guess the ps4 will never get texture filtering again lol

iceatcs

i think u didnt seen the screenshots

Yeah it is really bad.
the_gapqlpov.png

So we have to deal with the kneejerk "DF is biased" garbage every time they favor an Xbox One game? I suppose the people parroting that haven't read the last dozen DF comparisons, especially since they obviously didn't read this article.

It seems those people want a comparison of "which console is more powerful" as if their personal choice needs to be affirmed nonstop. Nobody would ever deny that the PS4 is more powerful, that shouldn't need to constantly be reiterated as that's not what is being analyzed. It's not hard to understand that running a game at a higher resolution and framerate can lead to other things being bumped down, sometimes things that matter quite a bit.

It's not really some earth shattering result and calling any criticism of the PS4 version of a game bias means you pretty much don't want actual graphical analysis and instead want the console you own to be praised at every opportunity with anything else being heresy. No matter how valid it is.

Good post. It gets old. I own both, enjoy both, and have bought all my multiplats so far on PS4 (even Thief). It's nuts how many threads there are that have people trying to shoehorn how good the PS4 is over the XB1 in threads where it's not even the topic.

Titanfall threads are the worst in GAF's anti-XB1 campaign.

Pop

Congratulations to Xbone beating the PS4 for the first time, according to DF. The war has become stale and boring, since it basically was not a war, but a beat down.

It's ironic though that the Xbone version has won with the expected inferior performance and the absence of true HD resolution. But this time it's a virtue! The tradeoff has ''edged'' the Xbone version over the PS4.

A win is a win. The streak has been broken. Chalk one up for Xbone for having better filtering, the war is heating up. DF, we eagerly await your next analysis.

I know you're joking but this is literally a streaming problem and DF not capturing images correctly.

SeanTSC

Looks like digital foundry realised the polygon-method of getting more clicks.

Subjectively choose which effects you think provide a better experience to declare a winner!

If they both have issues call it a draw.

The worst part about their click-bait post is that most of the time in Thief you are playing in really confined areas that aren't even big enough for Texture Filtering like AF to need to kick in. Sometimes it's noticeable running down a street in town, but that's the only time it really is.

I'll take a more solid framerate, higher resolution, and POM, and no screen tearing over that in this situation any day.

RayMaker

Banned
To be fair, you're watching a YouTube hosted comparison. The way those videos are encoded means you're not going to get a perfectly accurate picture of how something would look on your HDTV.

Those videos are made to show you specific differences in slow-motion while being slightly zoomed in. Resolution comparisons are better done using videos hosted by Gamersyde.

Yeah true, but I have seen and played many games at 1080p,900p and 720p.

I can barley tell the difference between 900p and 1080p on my tv and whatever difference there is, is trivial and does not effect my joy of the game.

Sweet Ivy

I'm talking to Thief PS4 owners: Is the PS4 version really this ugly?

I still have it unopened, could return it for the PC version since I can play it with the DS4 on the PC anyway (I think, don't see why not).
The images shown here hurt my eyes....!

Does Thief on Xbone require full installation before playing? I'd assume if that's the case, since PS4 installs while you play, the texture streaming issue should be fixed by the time the game is fully installed.

Also surprised DF didn't manage to notice lack of parallax mapping on Xbone. It's not a subtle effect.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The image that were posted here without context are about the Unreal Engine streaming in issue that seems to only be present in cutscenes on the PS4.

That's not how the game looks when you play it. That would be incredible.

Does Thief on Xbone require full installation before playing? I'd assume if that's the case, since PS4 installs while you play, the texture streaming issue should be fixed by the time the game is fully installed.

Also surprised DF didn't manage to notice lack of parallax mapping on Xbone. It's not a subtle effect.

This is probably what is happening. The Xbox One version has to completely install, meanwhile the PS4 version is being played as soon as possible to start the comparison.

This shitty blurry texture streaming reminds me off Dead Rising 3. It's shit, but I don't think it bothers me more than those head ache inducing bird cage jaggies by virtue of 900p.

sirap

I still have it unopened, could return it for the PC version since I can play it with the DS4 on the PC anyway (I think, don't see why not).

My copy doesn't look that bad, I don't know what's going on with DF's machine.

Strider definitely has AF issues tho, hard not to notice it.

EvB

Is this the first UE3 game on next gen ?. Maybe a case of a rush job on getting the engine to run on the new consoles since it was built around totally different console architectures.

Knack is UE4 which isn't dissimilar and more demanding if anything

SeanTSC

It's just as "ugly" as the PC version. It's not the best looking game in the world, but some of the stuff here has been really exaggerated. The texture pop-in is a non-issue that only happens on level loads for 2-3 seconds (and doesn't happen at all if you have a faster HDD in it). The lack of AF sucks in areas that are more open, but for most of the game you're playing in really confined/small spaces where AF doesn't even really matter and where the Parallax Occlusion Mapping sticks out more as a Plus.

TheKayle

Banned
Okay, can we agree that streaming issues are not as bad as if the textures actually looked like that? And can we say DF are a bit thick for using still images to show asset streaming issues?

i can agree that using still image could make ppl take it in a bad way

but they didnt give the edge just for that reason

"Visually, the PS4 should be the front-runner given its 1080p presentation, but through the virtues of effective anti-aliasing, the 900p frame-buffer used on Xbox One holds its own in practice. However, the PS4's weaker texture filtering does factor into the comparison more visibly, with assets appearing blurrier than they should at a distance, and asset pop-in proving slightly more evident."

HORRORSHØW

who has the ps4 version? can you guys capture some images from the same screens as the ones that are being used for comparison's sake?

This is probably what is happening. The Xbox One version is has a complete install while the PS4 version is being played as soon as possible to start the comparision.

Wasn't there a crazy DF comparison last gen with an older tomb Raider game that was to do with texture streaming. I'm sure a huge debate raged, there were images in the back of a boat?

omonimo

Banned
So probably texture filter on ps4 it's buggy(&probably fixable) but 900p 20fps in xbone are nothing for the glory of the AF. Ah stay classy eurogamer.I'm speechless.

Top Bottom