• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

So PS4:
- Full 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Steadier framerate (>24 FPS)

Xbox One:
- 900p
- 16x anisotropic filtering
- drops to 20's

Yet the Xbox One > PS4, huh?

I would say yes. Minimum framerate isn't very representative of the general stability, and AF easily outweights the benefits of 1080p.

dat PS4

SPK7gp9.png

Gears 1, is that you?

Ty4on

They don't just drop to "20 fps", but 200ms frame times. That is FIVE fps. A drop to 50ms frame times is trivial in comparison. Those drops are what make some 30 fps games worse than others, not small differences in average fps.

Appalling performance on both. Clearly quite rushed.

Sweet Ivy

The image that were posted here without context are about the Unreal Engine streaming in issue that seems to only be present in cutscenes on the PS4.

That's not how the game looks when you play it. That would be incredible.

That is texture streaming error, you should wait few microsecs and PS4 will have same texture as PC and Xbox.

My copy doesn't look that bad, I don't know what's going on with DF's machine.

Strider definitely has AF issues tho, hard not to notice it.

It's just as "ugly" as the PC version. It's not the best looking game in the world, but some of the stuff here has been really exaggerated. The texture pop-in is a non-issue that only happens on level loads for 2-3 seconds (and doesn't happen at all if you have a faster HDD in it). The lack of AF sucks in areas that are more open, but for most of the game you're playing in really confined/small spaces where AF doesn't even really matter and where the Parallax Occlusion Mapping sticks out more as a Plus.
Thanks for the heads up, I was almost shocked :)!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I didn't think it was necessary but I guess posting context-less images when people have no clue what AF means is that some posters are assuming Unreal Engine texture load-in issues are "AF" and the game looks like that.

thiefw5p9l.gif

Trilinear filtering on the PS4 (seriously?) & shitty frame-rate in both systems? this game is a fucking mess.

My thoughts exactly.

And it's embarrassing when a dev ships a PS4 game with any graphical feature missing on the PS4 version that is present on the XB1.

TheKayle

Banned
So probably texture filter on ps4 it's buggy(&probably fixable) but 900p 20fps in xbone are nothing for the glory of the AF. Ah stay classy eurogamer.I'm speechless.

"Performance on PS4 and Xbox One counts as a bigger concern, and neither deserves any sort of recommendation here."

"All in all, it's hard not to be disappointed on a technical level with Thief."

i think they been classy

What? Do you realize that gaf isn't a single entity? And what campaign are you talking about - is legitimate criticism not allowed anymore?

Obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if you spent time in any Titanfall thread, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Criticism is fine, played the beta and I have my own, but what runs rampant in those threads isn't criticism.

TheKayle

Banned
I didn't think it was necessary but I guess posting context-less images when people have no clue what AF means is that some posters are assuming Unreal Engine texture load-in issues are "AF" and the game looks like that.

thiefw5p9l.gif

you did right to post this ...

but now tell ..isnt jsut this enough or evident enough for df to declare xb1 superior? what u think

for me is..is just ugly!

StuBurns

Banned

thiefw5p9l.gif
This is pretty disgusting.

I don't think people can blame UE3.

Outlast looks fantastic on PS4.

This is a relevant quote from the article, to post along with those screens..

Asset streaming is more apparent on PS4 on occasion. Entering the Crippled Burrick area causes assets to visibly pop in in as the camera pans across. Fortunately, once it's loaded the issue disappears during regular play. In this shot, we see the left pillar on the building has yet to resolve its texture on PS4.

omonimo

Banned
"Performance on PS4 and Xbox One counts as a bigger concern, and neither deserves any sort of recommendation here."

"All in all, it's hard not to be disappointed on a technical level with Thief."

i think they been classy

Well suggest the 900p 20fps drops version over minimun 25fps at 1080p for the AF it's justy crazy. They have just stay quiet.

thiefw5p9l.gif

Something tells me the PS4 version wasn't 100% completely installed prior to that comparison. That's a huge difference.

Can someone with a 100% finished version post the same scene for us? Hopefully this fixes it or gets a fix soon. I have no desire to buy this game, but this is jarring as hell. I wouldn't recommend either version at this rate.

h#shdem0n

Question is, is it an intentionally bad port? Or a rush job of some sort? (conspiracy money-hat on)

Not sure if your first question is serious, but has there ever been a documented instance of a publisher deliberately gimping a port because of platform politics?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So that dude everyone was trashing for saying this is now vindicated.

Assuming you are talking about the Crave Online article...Not really. He was saying that the frame rate on the xbone was better than ps4. DF says otherwise. He never mentioned anything about image quality which probably means he didn't even notice. Which makes sense seeing as how his comments on frame rate are so off-based. :p

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is pretty disgusting.

I don't think people can blame UE3.

Outlast looks fantastic on PS4.
It's exactly 2 seconds to resolve. Why the PS4 displays this behavior in the cutscenes and the Xbone doesn't is very curious. Because the Xbone version in gameplay has very noticeable Unreal Engine texture load-in. (Source: Giant Bomb QL)

Something tells me the PS4 version wasn't 100% completely installed prior to that comparison. That's a huge difference.

Can someone with a 100% finished version post the same scene for us? Hopefully this fixes it or gets a fix soon. I have no desire to buy this game, but this is jarring as hell. I wouldn't recommend either version at this rate.
Oh interesting point!

Isn't it that you can start playing multiplatform titles earlier on PS4 compared to the Xbone when measuring real world time?

I am just surprised how much of a early UE3 game thief looks even on next gen.

Its like its using default UE3 lighting or something. Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 and Gears 1 and Batman AA

Yeah, it would be great if someone used the share feature to show the same scene.

atpbx

I was kind of looking forward to playing Thief.

It's just turned out to be a bit of a shit sandwich really.

you did right to post this ...

but now tell ..isnt jsut this enough or evident enough for df to declare xb1 superior? what u think

for me is..is just ugly!
Textures taking a few seconds to load during cutscenes, affects the graphical quality of gameplay how exactly?

Seanspeed

Banned
Well suggest the 900p 20fps drops version over minimun 25fps at 1080p for the AF it's justy crazy. They have just stay quiet.
I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the 20fps vs 25fps thing here.

They say in the article that the PS4 *technically* runs a more stable framerate, but stuttering issues mean you're not likely to be able to experience the benefits of. It will still feel like a choppy mess on either platform.

Its not really an advantage.

Tommy DJ

thiefw5p9l.gif

Well that's what I get for not watching the videos. Shame on me.

KORNdoggy

I'm playing it now, made sure it was fully installed before i started too, and while i've noticed the stutter, i can't say i've seen any instance of texture pop in. And i usually pick up on it in other games. Could just be the murky atmosphere is hiding it, but i don't even notice the AF either.

omonimo

Banned
I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the 20fps vs 25fps thing here.

They say in the article that the PS4 *technically* runs a more stable framerate, but stuttering issues mean you're not likely to be able to experience the benefits of. It will still feel like a choppy mess on either platform.

Its not really an advantage.

What the article said it's arguable. Most of the gamse on ps360 run 25-30 fps. Not sure why ps4 should be unplayable at this fps. Moreover dips at 20fps are very , very, more noticeable.Or maybe ps4 dips belos 25 fps & they have lied.

Top Bottom