• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

StuBurns

Banned
No its a fine conclusion. The frame rate is garbage on both consoles so that's basically a wash. High 20 FPS vs low 20 FPS is barely anything but the image quality on the PS4 is actually worse.
What kind of logic is that? Being closer to acceptable performance is obviously very preferable.

The resolution is kind of irrelevant, it's one of many factors that determine the game's visual presentation, which should also include things like image balance (which look much closer here than the IGN comparison oddly, I assume IGN fucked it up). On that side, I think the XBO certainly comes out on top, but the performance is paramount, it's what determines the playability of the title.

It's really unacceptable that either of them fail to maintain perfect 30fps, but one is at least a little closer to that than the other.

SJRB

Gold Member
thief1ixslq.jpg

thief2j1sfy.jpg

thief3frs75.jpg

thief43wse0.jpg

thief5mhs85.jpg

I'm playing the PS4 version, put about 6 hours in now and I literally NEVER have encountered these texture issues aside from the Unreal Engine trademark load-in at the start of a level.

Something is wrong on DF's end.

RayMaker

Banned
Why would you hope for this trend to continue? I don't want no lazy ports on PS4.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I cant wait for an all next-gen timeframe.

No I meant I hope that X1 ports will be achieving near visual/performance parity and it wont as big of a difference as we have been seeing in the launch in window titles.

It will make my purchasing decision easier.if multiplat visuals are a wash.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm playing the PS4 version, put about 6 hours in now and I literally NEVER have encountered these texture issues aside from the Unreal Engine trademark load-in at the start of a level.

Something is wrong on DF's end.
That's what these screenshots show. They are taken within the very first frames of a new scene.
The Xbox One version doesn't have that issue in the cutscenes chosen for the comparison.

Omni

Why any game is going sub-30fps just three or so months after these consoles have been released is a bit startling. Crazy

1g7fbw.png

2ytem6.png

I can see DF's point, i assume the first pic is down to the filtering as mentioned, but then objects in the distance look sharper due to the resolution bump.

All a bit minor to me, and if it bothers people that much well ..... PC etc.

Pop

No I meant I hope that X1 ports will be achieving near visual/performance parity and it wont as big of a difference as we have been seeing in the launch in window titles.

1080p compared to 900p is a big enough reason to go Ps4. This is a streaming problem, textures load after about 2-3 secs of leaving a load screen.

I watched my friend play for a couple of hours yesterday, literally not a problem.

bee

the original crysis on pc had to be modded to have pom + af together, the mod took like a 1fps hit on framerate though

RayMaker

Banned
That's what these screenshots show. They are taken within the very first frames of a new scene.
The Xbox One version doesn't have that issue in the cutscenes chosen for the comparison.

Maybe Microsoft/epic rectified the problem due to there close relationship and expirence on the 360.

Tommy DJ

What kind of logic is that? Being closer to acceptable performance is obviously very preferable.

The resolution is kind of irrelevant, it's one of many factors that determine the game's visual presentation, which should also include things like image balance (which look much closer here than the IGN comparison oddly, I assume IGN fucked it up). On that side, I think the XBO certainly comes out on top, but the performance is paramount, it's what determines the playability of the title.

It's really unacceptable that either of them fail to maintain perfect 30fps, but one is at least a little closer to that than the other.

Neither console comes close to maintaining a stable frame rate and both have huge drops to 20 FPS. Both are awful in terms of frame rate, its like saying that because piss is better than faeces, you prefer having piss on your doorstop every morning. The real answer is that they're both equally bad and you don't really care that they're any different because they're both just as bad as each other.

The game isn't a looker but trilinear filtering just kills the image quality of the PS4 version. Perhaps the poor gamma curve is enough to ruin aspects of the Xbone version, I haven't played it, but I can definitely say that the image quality of one version is probably objectively worse than the other in a noticeable way if DF isn't cherry picking the results.

SJRB

Gold Member

Okay, but how does a texture load-in that is literally resolved within 2 seconds trump 1080p and steadier framerate? I don't get it.

This game is quite a mess overall though, that's for sure. I don't understand how a studio can work on a game for 5 years and still not master an engine.

Synth

Neither console comes close to maintaining a stable frame rate and both have huge drops to 20 FPS. Both are awful in terms of frame rate, its like saying that because piss is better than faeces, you prefer having piss on your doorstop every morning. The real answer is that they're both equally bad and you don't really care that they're any different because they're both just as bad as each other.

The game isn't a looker but trilinear filtering just kills the image quality of the PS4 version. Perhaps the poor gamma curve is enough to ruin aspects of the Xbone version, I haven't played it, but I can definitely say that the image quality of one version is probably objectively worse than the other in a noticeable way if DF isn't cherry picking the results.

What a terrible comparison.... Piss vs Feces on my doorstep each morning wouldn't be a close call at all... :p

This is shity porting at its finest, how can they miss up the AF on the PS4 is beyond me since its very in-expensive when used on modern hardware.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Okay, but how does a texture load-in that is literally resolved within 2 seconds trump 1080p and steadier framerate? I don't get it.

This game is quite a mess overall though, that's for sure. I don't understand how a studio can work on a game for 5 years and still not master an engine.

There is still an actual texture filtering issue. The streaming stuff isn't a big deal, but the pictures were posted out of context which muddied the topic.

Don't usually knock digital foundry but how they can say the Xbox One version is the one to go for when it has lower resolution and a lower frame rate is beyond me. The filtering isn't great no - but all versions also include the texture loading issue that seems to come hand in hand with any Unreal Engine 3 title.

I'm lucky enough to have Xbox One, PS4 and a very good PC, but still wouldn't recommend the Xbox version.

TUROK

Because its not only texture streaming that's an issue, but texture filtering as well. And all they said is that it slightly edges out the PS4 version in the visuals department. Its not like they declared the One version to be massively superior and the only one worth purchasing, despite a bunch of people acting as if they said exactly that.

Don't usually knock digital foundry but how they can say the Xbox One version is the one to go for when it has lower resolution and a lower frame rate is beyond me.
They didn't say this. Read the damn article.

iceatcs

Says slower normal map streaming compared to PC. They both pop in properly.

Meanwhile the asset streaming is more apparent on PS4 on occasion, which is what the other picture that keeps being quoted is.
What if microsecond different? Lol

benny_a

It's not just 1080p, steadier framerate. Based on my viewing of the comparison footage this is what I got:

So PS4:
- 1080p
- Parallax occlusion mapping
- Trilinear filtering
- Holds 30 FPS more consistent
- More noticeable Unreal Engine texture load-in
- No tearing (Edit: Some later footage shows also a little bit of tearing a bit before the bottom of the image.)

Xbox One:
- 900p
- no Parallax occlusion mapping
- 16x anisotropic filtering
- less consistent 30 FPS (high intensity scenes mostly)
- In cutscenes no noticeable Unreal Engine texture load-in
- Tearing (lower third, Edit: check the videos, it's more noticeable to me as it's higher located but it sometimes has very strange characteristics.)

RayMaker

Banned
1080p compared to 900p is a big enough reason to go Ps4. This is a streaming problem, textures load after about 2-3 secs of leaving a load screen.

I watched my friend play for a couple of hours yesterday, literally not a problem.

900p vs 1080p is meaningless to me I can barley notice the difference, watching the the DF comparisons, they are at parity in my eyes.

The framerate is a little more of issue, but the PS4 aint perfect either.

I will just have to see how this multiplat situation develops.If multiplats continue to have the same level of difference as BF4,ghosts,MGS:GZ and TR, I would probably get a PS4, MS would have to drop a lot of bombs to convince me otherwise.

Dead Man

It's not just 1080p, steadier framerate. Based on my viewing of the comparison footage this is what I got:

So PS4:
- 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Holds 30 FPS more consistent
- No tearing

Xbox One:
- 900p
- less consistent 30 FPS (high intensity scenes mostly)
- Tearing (lower third)

No tearing is enough to sway me. Shit gives me a headache.

Steroyd

In terms of resolution and framerate this game is in line with other ports though. Only difference that the bar is as low as comparing shitty and shittier.

SparkTR

Don't usually knock digital foundry but how they can say the Xbox One version is the one to go for when it has lower resolution and a lower frame rate is beyond me. The filtering isn't great no - but all versions also include the texture loading issue that seems to come hand in hand with any Unreal Engine 3 title.

I'm lucky enough to have Xbox One, PS4 and a very good PC, but still wouldn't recommend the Xbox version.

They don't, they specifically say the PC version is the ideal one. The console versions seem like a wash regardless, bad ports for both of them but they leaned slightly towards the XBO for some reason.

benny_a

900p vs 1080p is meaningless to me I can barley notice the difference, watching the the DF comparisons, they are at parity in my eyes.
To be fair, you're watching a YouTube hosted comparison. The way those videos are encoded means you're not going to get a perfectly accurate picture of how something would look on your HDTV.

Those videos are made to show you specific differences in slow-motion while being slightly zoomed in. Resolution comparisons are better done using videos hosted by Gamersyde.

So we have to deal with the kneejerk "DF is biased" garbage every time they favor an Xbox One game? I suppose the people parroting that haven't read the last dozen DF comparisons, especially since they obviously didn't read this article.

It seems those people want a comparison of "which console is more powerful" as if their personal choice needs to be affirmed nonstop. Nobody would ever deny that the PS4 is more powerful, that shouldn't need to constantly be reiterated as that's not what is being analyzed. It's not hard to understand that running a game at a higher resolution and framerate can lead to other things being bumped down, sometimes things that matter quite a bit.

It's not really some earth shattering result and calling any criticism of the PS4 version of a game bias means you pretty much don't want actual graphical analysis and instead want the console you own to be praised at every opportunity with anything else being heresy. No matter how valid it is.

fasTRapid

Banned
So PS4:
- 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Holds 30 FPS more consistent (never below 24)
- No tearing

Xbox One:
- 900p
- less consistent 30 FPS (high intensity scenes mostly) (down to 20)
- In cutscenes no noticeable Unreal Engine texture load-in
- Tearing (lower third)
Xbox One so edges out the PS4 version, lol

So we have to deal with the kneejerk "DF is biased" garbage every time they favor an Xbox One game? I suppose the people parroting that haven't read the last dozen DF comparisons, especially since they obviously didn't read this article.

It seems those people want a comparison of "which console is more powerful" as if their personal choice needs to be affirmed nonstop. Nobody would ever deny that the PS4 is more powerful, that shouldn't need to constantly be reiterated as that's not what is being compared. It's not hard to understand that running a game at a higher resolution and framerate can lead to other things being bumped down, sometimes things that matter quite a bit.

It's not really some earth shattering result and calling any criticism of the PS4 version of a game bias means you pretty much don't want actual graphical analysis and instead want the console you own to be praised at every opportunity with anything else being heresy. No matter how valid it is.
Exactly.

SparkTR

Good lordy just noticed this. Could this be the reason for not using full whack AF ? Didn't the original Crysis lack AF because of something similar (although surely modern graphics API's allow this ....).

That was an issue 7 years ago, it's been fixed for ages in every other PC game I've played.

StuBurns

Banned
Neither console comes close to maintaining a stable frame rate and both have huge drops to 20 FPS. Both are awful in terms of frame rate, its like saying that because piss is better than faeces, you prefer having piss on your doorstop every morning.
Are you saying that given you choice, you would not prefer piss to feces on your doorstep?

I'm not going to buy the game, if I did, I'd buy it on PC, but in terms of consumer advice, I think framerate is a naturally more beneficial bullet-point, even if they're both weak in that area.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, the frame pacing thing is more concerning. I don't know why we've seen this in a couple games at this point. It should not be occurring.

It's actually a problem on the PC that can easily occur and usually arises when limiting a framerate without the right utility (though sometimes you cannot avoid it). I think it also is responsible for unsteady video playback in most games.

If you operate at your displays refresh rate, it's really not an issue 99% of the time, but if you're displaying something lower than the refresh rate (30 fps) it can creep up.

If you use DXTory or something you will see frame pacing problems on the PC. MSI Afterburner typically avoids this when combined with nVidia's half-refresh option but that's about the only way I've found to conquer it and it isn't always successful.

Thief has serious frame pacing issues on PC as well if you try to limit to 30 fps. Why would you do that? Well, I tried limiting to 30 fps so that I could enjoy 4x SSAA since it's a rather slow game. However, frame output is completely borked and you end up with a very choppy experience.

Also, when games themselves include 30 fps locks on the PC they almost ALWAYS suffer from this issue resulting in a much choppier look than a proper 30 fps.

This article doesn't make sense.

So they say that performance and resolution are higher on the PS4:

This manifests more aggressively on Microsoft's platform, where drops down to 20fps are possible, as compared to 25fps on PS4

the game is running at a full 1920x1080 on PS4, while the Microsoft next-gen release runs at 1600x900

But because texture filtering is higher on the X1 they give it the edge? Well that's a first.

Top Bottom