• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

kmax

They didn't say it "outmatched" it, they said it holds up surprisingly well. As in, not that far behind. If you read the article you can see the exact ways in which the PC version is better.

Alright, thanks. Just woke up, so I'm a bit out of it. I think I'll grab a coffee and read it in its entirety.

Trilinear filtering really?

What's the point of 1080p if you use trilinear filtering? Seriously defeats the purpose.

Frame rate better one the PS4.... (confused)

boeso

vM01yMl.gif

Spades

Until the next DF face off when an Xbone game has a slightly better frame rate than the PS4s. Seriously, I don't know why we take much notice of their ' conclusions'.

Easy to say this when Xbox One comes out on top. When it is the other way around then it's a completely different story.

KaiserBecks

HTO9fR5.jpg

This has to be a bug or something. Anisotropic Filtering is essential and not something you'd trade for a minimal gain in performance.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hasn't the Bilinear Filtering been the main issue in any game where the XB1 tops the PS4? Strider, most recently. What's happening here? Is there a check box someone forgot to tick? I don't ever remember any of the Filterings taking up too much horsepower when I fiddle with my gaming laptop. Maybe the XB1 has a type of that system built into its workings.

Because this is just odd.
It's worthy to note that Tomb Raider Definitive Edition had better anisotropic filtering on PS4 compared to the Xbone.

Also the PS4 hardware should be better at this specific task because it has 72 TMUs vs. Xbone's 48 TMUs. (While the TMU configuration being equal.)

jiggles

Banned
The thing I most want to know here is *why* the PS4 version doesn't use AF. It's so strange, it warrants a follow-up.

KOHIPEET

X1 has 16x anisotropic filtering because of the dGPU and Full HSA.

This will only get worse for SDF with their PS3.5.

Seriously, they'll probably just patch the PS4 version.

PS4 should be able to do 16x AF with little issue.

Seems like a poor port all around, not indicative of hardware differences.

The parallax mapping is prob the reason the game doesn't use AF on PS4. Crysis had similar issues. How did DF not spot this.

Pop

Thief is just a mess. Low 20's framerate is unacceptable. I just don't see how this is possible for the Ps4 to look(eye test) worse. But hey, here we are.

We really need some answers from Eidos.

TUROK

Where does this confusion between Tessellation and Parallax Occlusion Mapping come from?
From people who love to debate about graphics without knowing anything about the subject at hand. You know, 95 percent of the people who populate DF threads.

Rflagg

If those comparison shots are correct, I would certainly rather be on the Bone than PS4 for this one. Hideous texture filtering. Hate popin, too.

Yadda yadda pc gaming tho.

Pretty much this, I hope we learn why they when with the trilinear filtering thing and higher resolution as the negatives do seem to outweigh the positives when it comes to graphics.

manzo

Something tells me that the PS4 version will be patched to have 16x aniso before this thread hits 20 pages.

Looking at those screenshots, there are a number of sections where the PS4 version has POM and the xb1 does not.

edit: like this:
Something isn't right...

the_gapqlpov.png

Edit 2:
The parallax mapping is prob the reason the game doesn't use AF on PS4. Crysis had similar issues. How did DF not spot this.

Still, you have to wonder why. Crysis 3 and Crysis 2 both have POM in DX11 which can have AF applied to it. Crysis 1 is an exception, not a rule. POM, when coded correctly, should have AF.

Atlas157

Sounds like a real mess. I'm not understanding why a game that looks like this is struggling to maintain 30fps.

I heard that this game went through development hell. Not sure if I'm right though.

Maybe that's the problem? Tomb Raider PS4 has better AF than the Bone version so this has to be a bug.

avaya

Similar hardware. One machine has far more of everything available for rendering. If the lower powered machine looks better in the end result then developer dun goofed.

123rl

I was all ready to say DF were being biased and idiotic by saying the the Xbone version is better, despite lower framerate and resolution...until I saw those comparisons. Wow...

It's good to see the Xbox version is technically great but what's the excuse for the piss-poor PS4 version? The texture filtering has ruined it

This doesn't make sense, this seems a bit extreme...
thief3frs75.jpg

It almost looks like one is using beta textures. It doesn't effect all areas equally. >.>

sinxtanx

Neither version looks especially good. Although, that may be because of the game itself, rather than the inherent qualities of the platforms.

Top Bottom