• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

artist

Banned
a19kp23.png

a2yjrrs.png

TL;DR: The ACIV Wii U port was rushed or mishandled. Problems found in that game aren't found in other multiplatform games.

Being a longtime Nintendo fan, and believing gameplay >>>> graphics, I have rebelled against the "Wii U is too weak" and "Nintendoomed" narrative. Wanting to put my money where my mouth is, I decided to make the Wii U my primary console this gen (as much as I could, anyway, given weak third-party support), added some funds to my Wii U, and bought my first multiplatform game, ACIV.

After playing for about 30 minutes, I was having second thoughts about making it my primary. The analog sticks had HUGE dead zones, so all camera turns are nearly 90 degree turns. This causes severe issues when trying to chase a target who is always 45 degrees to your left or right... The game was also choppy, suffering from a low framerate, which I can stomach, quite honestly, but it did add some credence to people claiming the Wii U was weak.

I could not fathom that Nintendo would release a controller with such huge dead zones on the analog sticks, so I took a risk, and downloaded Need for Speed: Most Wanted. That game has no dead zone in the analog sticks, the framerate is smooth (as far as I can tell), and it looks great. I've had no issues with this game, aside from some stupid EA Origin connection things. This leads me to believe that the ACIV port was handled very poorly by Ubisoft and was either rushed or farmed out.

Wii U games are selling so dismally that no one should expect any 3rd party which is even still supporting the Wii U, which is basically only Ubisoft at this point, to spend more than a modicum of effort on the port. What is the point of working hard on a port which is expected to sell 10,000 copies worldwide when the primary target consoles are expected to generate unit sales in the millions?

Standard wall of text

The problem is simple

To believe that there will not be a big game, a good game, a popular game on the PS4 at some point this gen that struggles for whatever reason is most likely naive

Hence when that happens when the PS4 game is not running amazingly what do you think will happen to the XB1 version?

Dead Rising 3 is 720p 30fps on XB1 at launch. That is literally the lowest you can go graphically while still considering it technically "HD" and it fails to hit a stable 30fps

This is most likely due to Capcom Vancouver general technical inabilities but should go to show that the ability of the developers makes a big difference.

I think the safe bet is not just that PS4 will be far more likely to hit 1080p and higher framerates but that there will be a small handful of games on the XB1 that legitimately have graphical issues resulting in worse gameplay. Games are more complicated then ever before and will continue to be so

turnbuckle

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510076

From the creator of FXAA when the specs of orbis and durango were released

This was before the PS4 announced they were having 8GB of GDDR5, right? Granted, not 100% of that is available to games it's still interesting to see someone talk about the PS4 being more capable than the XB1 with half the RAM it ultimately launched with.

I cannot believe those XB1 shots. Those are terrible. I hope there's more untapped power in the XB1 than my gut tells me. Before this gen started I suspected the PS4 would have more power out of the gates and more untapped power than the XB1 in part because of the relatively late memory bump. But I didn't expect to see such a clear difference so early.

I kind of figured we'd be seeing higher res output on the PS4 with a bit of frame rate sacrifice compared to lower res, stable 60 FPS out of the XB1. Boy was I wrong. Obviously there'll be games that push the hardware further that will result in lower resolution / less stable frame rates for the PS4, but the XB1 is hitting that wall already. Hard.

Yuck.

jim2011

Not when the game looks and runs as good as it does on the Xbox One. The PS4 version is better, period, but I don't see anything that is 'serious' or 'worrying' about the state of the Xbox One version by comparison, knowing full well that it's a more difficult system to develop for.

This is not bayonetta or red dead redemption levels of bad. The game is quite solid on the Xbox One from all footage available, so I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just celebrate the fact that the PS4 version is better, because it is, and can be proven to be better. However, don't expect people to suddenly think the Xbox One version is crap or trash simply because it isn't as nice as the PS4 version. It's far from a disaster, and it's just so petty otherwise. So, again, nothing serious or worrying at all.

Quoted for truth. People here act as if it's 360/PS3/wii u quality. It's not. Yes the ps4 versions of games are better but not drastically. Yes I understand how many more pixels 1080p is but no it is not such a gigantic difference to my eyes that it makes the xb1 version terrible. They are comparable though ps4 version is better.

I own the system, I'm happy with the visuals. They are NOT crap.

You're talking rubbish. The WiiU version looks the same as the PS360 version yet struggles along around the 20fps mark and is basically unplayable.
Ubisoft should never have released the WiiU version.

At this point it seems Nintendo fans have thrown all common sense about tech in games out the door. I don't even know what Xbox fans think anymore. This thread is strangely kind of solemn for such a big deal.

In 2010 this thread would be 100 pages with numerous meltdowns.

CCIE

Banned
I've seen both versions in person - the PS4 isn't just better, but SIGNIFICANTLY better from a visual standpoint. The One isn't crap, but it simply isn't in the same league visually as the PS4 port

That is on a 65" television.

Ricker

The PS4 version runs and looks pretty good to me in 1080p...the only thing I noticed so far is the occasional pop-up,and some shimmering on trees for example when you synchronize and the camera does that pan...very satisfied with it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
red dead on PS3 is a debacle? really? it seemed fine to me

Yup. Finished it without a single hitch when I downloaded it from PS+. Great game.

Looked gorgeous to me as well. It's just a case of not knowing what you're missing. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
Xbox One users will probably experience the exact same thing this entire generation, the way things are looking.

Having a higher resolution, better AA, and framerate is not serious or worrying to you?

These people I tell you. Excuses will be coming out for a LONG time. As I just said in 2010 this would be a 100 page thread. Now..... crickets. It's just fine guys. Deal with the saws cutting your eyes. Just act like this is last gen.

Red Dead was pretty bad but the difference in AA wasn't even close to this bad. The One I am sorry to say just looks hideous without AA man. It is 2013 nearing 14. And we still don't have proper AA on multiple 'next gen' consoles. It's just ridiculous. Thank GOD for the ICE team.

Another game where the Xbox One version gives up resolution AND performance AND has that nasty ass sharpness filter on it?

No thank you.

I don't begrudge anyone who compares the Xbox One version to Wii U, PS3, and 360 and points out that it is substantially upgraded over those version, because it is.

But the difference is major between PS4 and Xbox One to me. Between dropped frames, lower resolution (I played the PS4 version when it was 900p and decided to stop until the patch, because it looked ugly compared to all my other 1080p PC and PS4 games), and that horrible artificial sharpening (which again, if you like, you can force your TV to do it... it should never be baked in at the source)... I'm very glad I picked a PS4.

Very glad.

Another game where the Xbox One version gives up resolution AND performance AND has that nasty ass sharpness filter on it?

No thank you.

I don't begrudge anyone who compares the Xbox One version to Wii U, PS3, and 360 and points out that it is substantially upgraded over those version, because it is.

But the difference is major between PS4 and Xbox One to me. Between dropped frames, lower resolution (I played the PS4 version when it was 900p and decided to stop until the patch, because it looked ugly compared to all my other 1080p PC and PS4 games), and that horrible artificial sharpening (which again, if you like, you can force your TV to do it... it should never be baked in at the source)... I'm very glad I picked a PS4.

Very glad.

Not to mention the PS4 version also has much improved AA (I assume the XB1 has some form of AA right?)

Xbox 360 exclusives had lowered resolutions and effects at launch. Even titles beyond launch, such as Halo 3, had resolution compromises. I don't think this is as big a deal as some think. Two systems launched close together, one is packing quite a bit more raw power. What is so surprising about what we're seeing? They could have made both 1080p at 30fps, but then the xbox One version would look much more visually compromised, and nobody in the market for an Xbox One is interested in that. Better to compromise resolution first. I haven't seen many cases of effects being compromised on the xbox one version of games, unless people are referring to superior levels of AA on the PS4 version, which I would agree. The scaler on the Xbox One is having some less than ideal results. The one big omission effect wise on a multi game was ambient occlusion on BF4, which is in the xbox one version now, but I never really looked into what, if any, impact that had on performance. But it's way too soon to make certain conclusions, because COD2 had some serious framerate issues on the Xbox 360 at launch, and a much superior looking COD 4 came out later than ran better, apparently at a lower resolution, but then PGR3 went from lower resolution to higher resolution with better visuals in PGR4, and we know what took place with Halo 3 to Halo 4. I just think it's too early. What we're seeing is what was expected, the PS4 is easier to develop for, and has quite a bit more raw power.

It should have the advantages that it has, but I don't see anything yet from the xbox one side of things that should make Xbox One owners or future xbox one owners afraid. There has been no bayonetta or red dead redemption style debacle on the system just yet. If you want the better guarantee of 1080p, then the PS4 seems obvious. I'm not undermining the PS4's advantages, but I just don't anticipate anyone pulling out their hair on the xbox one side of the things either.

The Xbone costs $100 more. You're getting worse quality multi plats for more money. This is a serious long term problem for MS. Its literally the same problem the PS3 had. The PS3 didn't start selling until it was close to the 360's price. MS has to have the Xbone cheaper than the PS4 yesterday or they will not be competitive this gen. They are already being killed in all non-US countries right at launch, if they can't at least be close to even in the US it's over.

The Xbone costs $100 more. You're getting worse quality multi plats for more money. This is a serious long term problem for MS. Its literally the same problem the PS3 had. The PS3 didn't start selling until it was close to the 360's price. MS has to have the Xbone cheaper than the PS4 yesterday or they will not be competitive this gen. They are already being killed in all non-US countries right at launch, if they can't at least be close to even in the US it's over.

While normally I would not think the power discussion matters or even gets through to the average gamer I was surprised by the legs the COD: Ghosts resolutiongate had

I doubt anyone changed console purchase based on just that but I know a lot of non-hardcore individuals become very well aware of the difference

Quoted for truth. People here act as if it's 360/PS3/wii u quality. It's not. Yes the ps4 versions of games are better but not drastically. Yes I understand how many more pixels 1080p is but no it is not such a gigantic difference to my eyes that it makes the xb1 version terrible. They are comparable though ps4 version is better.

I own the system, I'm happy with the visuals. They are NOT crap.

If Senjutsu is going to say that RDR was a disaster on the PS3, then AC4 is certainly in the same boat. It had the exact same issues as RDR had. A lower resolution, much jaggier and a worse framerate. And actually you could argue that it's worse because the 360 version of RDR wasn't even locked at 30fps while AC4 on the PS4 is.

Ataxia

Wait. In the ACIV OT WiiU owners were talking about how the game was much better on that platform than the 360 and PS3 versions...

Glad I didn't listen to them.

But yeah. It's pretty damn obvious that the X1 is kind of a middle ground between last gen and PS4. MS really dropped the ball - which is frustrating, because I love the console.

While normally I would not think the power discussion matters or even gets through to the average gamer I was surprised by the legs the COD: Ghosts resolutiongate had

I doubt anyone changed console purchase based on just that but I know a lot of non-hardcore individuals become very well aware of the difference

People can't see the changing standards in society maybe, so they think these stories are still niche. Many of them are niche, but the net is starting to seriously influence people's buying decisions. Not quite mass crazy yet but give it 5 more years. These stories aren't going to die down. People are only going to get better sucking power from the PS4. Same with One we hope but that doesn't give it any kind of heads up.

And these faceoffs are getting a lot of attention these days.

So much for that superior Wii U version vs last gen consoles.

There are exceptions here, but a hard and fast rule that works 90% of the time is not to trust anyone with a Nintendo avatar about game quality/performance not named Aquamarine. Especially when it comes to gameplay performance, every release they went out of their way to declare the Wii U version superior based off of early impressions from other fans and no one ever called them on it because so few actually bought that version so it gets taken as fact and rarely gets corrected on this forum. I feel bad for those that bought it thinking it would be an improved version.

The XBO scaler is worthless. It's like watching a Blu-ray movie with sharpness on your TV at maximum. You absolutely don't want to that if you care about IQ. I hope for XBO owners that MS are going to fix this.

Imagine if this will be the case for all future multiplatform titles on XBO that are not native 1080p... damn.

zoozilla

Wasn't it just a few months ago that people were shitting all over Leadbetter for his blatant Microsoft bias?

Hard to believe that now, given the past few weeks.

Van Owen

Banned
There are exceptions here, but a hard and fast rule that works 90% of the time is not to trust anyone with a Nintendo avatar about game quality/performance not named Aquamarine. Especially when it comes to gameplay performance, every release they went out of their way to declare the Wii U version superior based off of early impressions from other fans and no one ever called them on it because so few actually bought that version so it gets taken as fact and rarely gets corrected on this forum. I feel bad for those that bought it thinking it would be an improved version.

Trust me, I know.

They still think Wii U will perform better with straight PS4/One ports because its architecture is "more modern".

The XBO scaler is worthless. It's like watching a Blu-ray movie with sharpness on your TV at maximum. You absolutely don't want to that if you care about IQ. I hope for XBO owners that MS are going to fix this.

Imagine if this will be the case for all future multiplatform titles on XBO that are not native 1080p... damn.

That would be suicide. They can turn this off. If they can't well they are fucked and so are the eyes of their fans.

Almost happened to me with Batman Origins. Impressions on wii u ports on gaf should be taken with HUGE grain of salt

jim2011

If Senjutsu is going to say that RDR was a disaster on the PS3, then AC4 is certainly in the same boat. It had the exact same issues as RDR had. A lower resolution, much jaggier and a worse framerate. And actually you could argue that it's worse because the 360 version of RDR wasn't even locked at 30fps while AC4 on the PS4 is.

Haven't played it on ps3. Was more referring to his other points. Also I still have yet to see a stutter in the ac4 xb1 framerate, it's very smooth.

I'm not worried about xb1 because of Ryse. It's a launch game and looks amazing. With the right skills, amazing graphics can be had.

Jomjom

Banned
Wasn't it just a few months ago that people were shitting all over Leadbetter for his blatant Microsoft bias?

Nah he still made sure to let everyone know you can get the PC version to downplay the PS4 version. You know if you got a PC that's good enough.

For some reason though, I don't remember the same being said when 360 versions were better than PS3 versions last gen, despite the fact that it was true back then, as it is now, that you could always go for PC if you wanted the best version.

Here, the XB1 looks so much closer to the WiiU while PS4&PC are their own league.
So... good news for the WiiU? ;P

(but some of the stuff is also optimization/ developmental resources allocation, in this example I find the PS4 version actually looks a tiny bit better than the PC image)

CCIE

Banned
Well, as I said I've seen both versions. I own the PS4 one, and my fried currently owns the One version. He was happy with it, until he saw mine. Last time I talked to him, he was sending his One back to Amazon, and has me looking for a PS4 for him. I guess I'm not the only one who thought the differences were pronounced.

Personally, I think that is drastic. I mean, the guy still wants to play TitanFall...

Even Leadbetter could see the obvious technical differences and more to the point he could see public opinion shifting. The writing was on the wall in blood at that point, if Leadbetter wanted DF to retain even a modicum of credibility he would have to stop trying to downplay the differences between PS4 and Xbone when it became glaringly obvious there was a huge gulf in the visual quality of the games.

Nafai1123

Banned
Hey guys remember when we all thought there wouldn't be much of a difference in launch games? Those were the days...

People need to keep something in mind. This is a cross-gen game. Other than higher AO and some bokeh, it's not doing a whole lot of "next-gen" effects that are GPU intensive. Now what happens when multiplat games start focusing solely on the new consoles and start using those intensive effects (GIobal illumination, realtime reflections, physically based lighting, etc). Most of those are on/off features, meaning you can either handle it or not. It's not like you can continue to drop resolution to match the number of effects on the stronger competitor. I fully expect we will start to see a pattern of truly next-gen games missing graphical features altogether on the XB1, while still running at a lower resolution than the PS4. Just my two cents.

Curufinwe

People were annoyed with him because he kept repeating and endorsing the MS fud about balance when anyone who took a quick look at the specs knew that the PS4 having 50% more CUs and 100% more ROPs would translate into obvious and significant graphical differences.

And of course they have. But if someone knew nothing about the new consoles but what they had read on DF this year, this AC4 faceoff would shock them.

demolitio

It's just weird to see differences this early on before games are developed fully for next-gen. You would expect cross-gen games to be the most similar. The gap isn't suddenly going to get smaller as the developers get more ambitious even as they learn more about the systems.

If it's not a big deal to some people, that's fine but it doesn't give me much confidence for the future, especially as more developers dabble in GPU computing, etc. No doubt I'll enjoy the system for exclusives but let's not pretend that everyone has to be happy with worse multi-platform games acting as if everyone ignored that issue with the PS3 and 360. It was an issue then and an issue now.

Metfanant

AC4 at consistent 30fps in 1080p on PS4
AC4 at 900p on XB1 and it drops below 30fps?

Hmm...
going to be a common theme in non-sports multiplatform titles

X1 version confirmed the best, it pops out more than the others.

I give up...the console war has me just plain not able to tell of posts are jokes or not anymore...

------

You guys should read the comments over on misterX...

Digital Foundry has been completely moneyhatted by Sony...to them its plain as day how much better looking every multiplatform title is on the Xbone...its so great...they ADORE the Xbone's scaler over there

scitek

Haven't played it on ps3. Was more referring to his other points. Also I still have yet to see a stutter in the ac4 xb1 framerate, it's very smooth.

I'm not worried about xb1 because of Ryse. It's a launch game and looks amazing. With the right skills, amazing graphics can be had.

Not everyone has the graphical skill of Crytek.

You guys should read the comments over on misterX...

Digital Foundry has been completely moneyhatted by Sony...to them its plain as day how much better looking every multiplatform title is on the Xbone...its so great...they ADORE the Xbone's scaler over there

I can't I just can't

I tried earlier today and it hurt my brain more than usual

Let them dream

jaaz

The real news is how close the PS4 version looks to the PC. Holy crap. And this is a launch title...

Top Bottom