• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

Also from Major Nelson:

The truth is out there!

I am pretty sure they said that for the most cynical of reasons: that they assumed the "sharpness" and "pop" would con all and sundry into thinking the Xbox had some sort of secret technical magic going on.

I have to imagine, the parity between versions will eventually even out like they did with the 360/PS3 titles right?

Not unless developers start gimping PS4 versions intentionally. There's no weird hardware to figure out this time, although I'm sure the eSRAM will be clung on to by some until the day Xbox Two arrives. If anything, the gap will widen as GPUs pick up an increasing amount of slack. Then there's the RAM differential...

I know these rarely end well for Wii U, but this one was genuinely shocking to read.

Watchdogs is going to be a sight to see next year.

When will we see Penello comment about all these comparisons?

"Although graphics are one part of the equation, it's the delicate balance of hardware, software, clouds, transistors, and microtransactions that makes the Xbox One your all-in-one gaming solution."

Albert, call me. I can write this PR garbage in my sleep.

Hermii

First it went down to 20fps and now it is sub 20? Hahaha.

Look, I totally admit I have observed frame drops but none of the ones I saw have been as bad as 20. Obviously that video is documenting a frame drop. Personally I haven't seen one quite as bad as the one there. And the frame drops I have observed have been few and far between. Tons of other people in this topic have also observed minimal or no frame drops. The amount it drops, especially due to its infrequency, is not that bothersome. It definitely is completely playable. And it definitely is complete exaggeration to say that version isn't.

Have you actually played or observed the Wii U version in person or are you just going off of this video that everyone who has is disagreeing with?

Why is everyone disagreeing with it? Isn't framerate counts a pretty exact science?

Banned
Seriously the Wii U version looks like someone took the Gaussian blur tool on Photoshop and went apeshit with the mouse button on every frame. The Xbox version looks like it can't make a straight line. Those jaggies are life threatening.

AzaK

How the fuck does Nintendo manage to release a console in 2012 that runs worse than consoles made in 2006. Graphics and CPU power to price ratio is as low as ever and any modern GPU will run circles round the garbage in the PS360.

We've had the conversation a zillion times. The console does quite well if you learn it's ins and outs; it's not a brute force powerhouse that will make cross gen games run better without effort.

That said, given the terrible state of Wii U third party sales and support, it would have been nice if Nintendo was dedicating a little time to ensuring third party ports looked at least on par, and better if they could (higher res textures as a start).

Factoring in the ability to achieve a similar level of image quality to the PS4 game while running at double the frame-rate without needing Titan-level hardware, it's clear that PC's stranglehold on the top-end multi-platform experience isn't going to change any time soon.

Heh. As expected.

HORRORSHØW

You won't.

He and Major Nelson only appeared on here to market and spread specific doubt regarding XB1's issues.

Surprised they still have accounts after all this "truth" has come out.
That pisses me off most about their presence here. They sell doubt and people eat it up wholesale. Penello then has the gall to demand an apology from people doubting him if he is correct. Fuck off, Albert.

Zinthar

Okay. The CPU sucks on WiiU. So if that's the case. Why even take on the port.

Ubisoft originally had this crazy notion that games would sell on the Wii U. After Watch Dogs I suspect the only thing they'll be putting on Wii U will be Just Dance games.

Pitmonkey

We've had the conversation a zillion times. The console does quite well if you learn it's ins and outs; it's not a brute force powerhouse that will make cross gen games run better without effort.

That said, given the terrible state of Wii U third party sales and support, it would have been nice if Nintendo was dedicating a little time to ensuring third party ports looked at least on par, and better if they could (higher res textures as a start).

This - we have seen what can be done when time and effort is put into a port - and shocker(!) it featured a more stable frame rate and FAR better textures.

Ubisoft Quebec handled this port. Simply put, they're not up to snuff like the core studios that handled the development of this game. One overlooked issue is that many of these third party development studios don't have established "Wii U" teams like they do for Sony and Microsoft's respected platforms. A subsiquet outcome of being 8 years late to the HD game.

They play with the RGB Limited default crap,
Cant believe these comparisons sites dont go to the menu and put RGB Full.

PS4 on my TV looks like the XB1 screen, with better resolution and extreme clearness textures, so sharp I even see flickering but lowering sharpness fixes that.
RGB limited is not crap. That's the mistake almost all people make. Limited sounds negative i guess.

Tobor

Seeing stuff like this makes me question whether I should open my Xbox One or just return it while I still have a chance.

Can't believe how crappy most multiplatform games look on the One.

I have to imagine, the parity between versions will eventually even out like they did with the 360/PS3 titles right?

Not this time. The gap will continue and may even widen. The hardware is what it is.

owasog

If you bought the One for its multimedia functionality then it was a good choice. If you bought it for MS exclusives, again a good choice. If you bought it for third party games, you should know that it will be the "PS3" of this generation, with the PS4 having superior ports most of the time. The One is a better multimedia box, but the PS4 is simply superior as a games platform...

There is no secret sauce. These are basically mid-tier PC's.
I wouldn't call 900p/30fps mid-tier on PC. That's low-end. Very low-end.

Chobel

Seeing stuff like this makes me question whether I should open my Xbox One or just return it while I still have a chance.

Can't believe how crappy most multiplatform games look on the One.

Nope.

PS4 on my TV looks like the XB1 screen, with better resolution and extreme clearness textures, so sharp I even see flickering but lowering sharpness fixes that.

Well, there you go - you had gimped the image quality by having sharpness on. When you dialled it back, the IQ improved. AMAZING!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They play with the RGB Limited default crap,
Cant believe these comparisons sites dont go to the menu and put RGB Full.

You're completely in the wrong here. Rgb full is absolutely used as that's what the capture kit expects.

I guess the second screen app they released for every platform is just salt in the WiiU wound.

It's not nearly as good as having the HUD on the Gamepad (there's noticeable lag, of course, when using the app as a map) but yeah, it does somewhat diminish the natural advantage Wii U holds in that specific area.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A completely locked framerate in an Assassin's Creed game in blowing my mind. Ubisoft never give two shits about performance, I hope they keep targetting PS360 for every game they release for years to come. The second they shift to next-gen only, everything's going to run terribly again :(

As the xbox version occasionally drops, I can only put the PS4 locked framerate down to a happy accident.

Dysun

XB1 and Wii U versions look really bad. Was odd that the Wii U Edward face on the beach kept getting tossed around like if it was the best version for the 360/PS3/WiiU face offs last month.

Replicant

ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG

Wow.png

Holy SHIT at the Xbone and Wii u shot. It's like they are the extreme ghastly opposite of each other.

TL;DR: The ACIV Wii U port was rushed or mishandled. Problems found in that game aren't found in other multiplatform games.

Being a longtime Nintendo fan, and believing gameplay >>>> graphics, I have rebelled against the "Wii U is too weak" and "Nintendoomed" narrative. Wanting to put my money where my mouth is, I decided to make the Wii U my primary console this gen (as much as I could, anyway, given weak third-party support), added some funds to my Wii U, and bought my first multiplatform game, ACIV.

After playing for about 30 minutes, I was having second thoughts about making it my primary. The analog sticks had HUGE dead zones, so all camera turns are nearly 90 degree turns. This causes severe issues when trying to chase a target who is always 45 degrees to your left or right... The game was also choppy, suffering from a low framerate, which I can stomach, quite honestly, but it did add some credence to people claiming the Wii U was weak.

I could not fathom that Nintendo would release a controller with such huge dead zones on the analog sticks, so I took a risk, and downloaded Need for Speed: Most Wanted. That game has no dead zone in the analog sticks, the framerate is smooth (as far as I can tell), and it looks great. I've had no issues with this game, aside from some stupid EA Origin connection things. This leads me to believe that the ACIV port was handled very poorly by Ubisoft and was either rushed or farmed out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nope. 360 and PS3 evened out (in some cases) because the PS3's CPU (Cell) is significantly more powerful than the 360's (which has the better GPU). It's just that it's also much harder to develop for, so reaching parity took quite some time for most devs (if they even made it there at all).

The situation is not at all the same now. The PS4 is both more powerful and easier to develop for, the XBO literally doesn't have a single advantage which could theoretically let it catch up. Well, ok, that's not entirely true, its CPU is slightly faster, but that doesn't even come close to closing the gap between the GPUs.

Daingurse

AC4 PS4 is the first multiplatform console/PC release that I have not been disappointed to buy in a long time. Despite not being 60fps, it runs like a dream and looks quite good. If the PC version would run at a guaranteed 60fps, I would have bought it there instead, but seeing as how my GTX 680 won't quite cut it, I'll just pick it up on the cheap in the future when I have better hardware.

I would have still gotten it on my PC, locked it at 30fps and played it with a gamepad on my TV lol. But I can respect wanting to play a solid console port. I thought the Wii-U would be better than PS3 and 360 a year in, but nope. Pathetic honestly for 2012 console, just doesn't have the grunt.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
TL;DR: The ACIV Wii U port was rushed or mishandled. Problems found in that game aren't found in other multiplatform games.

Being a longtime Nintendo fan, and believing gameplay >>>> graphics, I have rebelled against the "Wii U is too weak" and "Nintendoomed" narrative. Wanting to put my money where my mouth is, I decided to make the Wii U my primary console this gen (as much as I could, anyway, given weak third-party support), added some funds to my Wii U, and bought my first multiplatform game, ACIV.

After playing for about 30 minutes, I was having second thoughts about making it my primary. The analog sticks had HUGE dead zones, so all camera turns are nearly 90 degree turns. This causes severe issues when trying to chase a target who is always 45 degrees to your left or right... The game was also choppy, suffering from a low framerate, which I can stomach, quite honestly, but it did add some credence to people claiming the Wii U was weak.

I could not fathom that Nintendo would release a controller with such huge dead zones on the analog sticks, so I took a risk, and downloaded Need for Speed: Most Wanted. That game has no dead zone in the analog sticks, the framerate is smooth (as far as I can tell), and it looks great. I've had no issues with this game, aside from some stupid EA Origin connection things. This leads me to believe that the ACIV port was handled very poorly by Ubisoft and was either rushed or farmed out.

Do you have the disc or the digital version of ACIV?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
RGB limited is not crap. That's the mistake almost all people make. Limited sounds negative i guess.

Well, it is factually inferior to RGB full range, as the range of colors possible with limited range is smaller/more compressed. You can't achieve quite as many different shades of red with limited range as you can with full range, etc. But the mistake people make is that they believe full range is always better and should always be used, no matter what screen their console is plugged into. That's completely wrong, as most TVs don't support full range and therefore won't display images correctly when being fed such a signal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Well, the reality is that Most Wanted is one of the only good ports on the system.

Pfft, whatever. You're just like all the review sites with a biased agenda, in on the bribery conspiracy to discredit the WiiU. Other people have played it and have had no issues so obviously these issues simply do not exist and I will venomously complain about anyone out to slander the WiiU who says they do.

timlot

Banned
I wonder what did the screen shots of teh PS4 version look like before 1080p update. If its like the XB1 version @ 900p then we are talking about a resolution difference. This isn't some magic or special effect. I'm sure the PC version would look even better @ 1440p than it already does. So more pixel make a better image.

images

Pitmonkey

I took a risk, and downloaded Need for Speed: Most Wanted. That game has no dead zone in the analog sticks, the framerate is smooth (as far as I can tell), and it looks great.

And here inlays the real issue, and the one argument I will always fall back on in these situations. When proper time is put into the port it allows developers to use better assets at more stable framerates as seen in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

I'll say it again, this game was ported by Ubisoft Quebec - Ubisoft's mobile developer for off screen play.

Do you have the disc or the digital version of ACIV?

Digital. And it's on my external hard drive. Is there a known issue with the speed of the USB 2.0 or something?

Pfft, whatever. You're just like all the review sites with a biased agenda, in on the bribery conspiracy to discredit the WiiU. Other people have played it and have had no issues so obviously these issues simply do not exist and I will venomously complain about anyone out to slander the WiiU who says they do.

Read the rest of the post. I love the Wii U and intend to use it as my primary console, still. The only thing I am discrediting is Ubisoft and its poor handling of this port. I will still play through ACIV and finish it. I have only bought Wii U and 3DS games since I bought the Wii U. If I'm biased at all, it is in favor of Nintendo. Even with the discrediting of Ubisoft, I still intend to purchase Watch Dogs on Wii U.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The PS4 version has an issue with its SSAO implementation which DF doesn't seem to have picked up on:

ibzmBptOpQaXok.jpg

The SSAO shading (I think) doesn't reach the edges of the screen. As you move the camera, there's a clear border where it starts and stops existing. Looks quite annoying once you're aware of it. Only visible if you're running the game 1:1 pixel-mapped, of course, so maybe Ubisoft didn't expect people to do that. Which would be really stupid.

Any other version suffer from this?

That explains why I had such trouble with getting one shanty in the Wii U version and nailed it the first time on the PS4. I knew something felt off about running on rooftops and such on the wii u.

Well, it is factually inferior to RGB full range, as the range of colors possible with limited range is smaller/more compressed. You can't achieve quite as many different shades of red with limited range as you can with full range, etc. But the mistake people make is that they believe full range is always better and should always be used, no matter what screen their console is plugged into. That's completely wrong, as most TVs don't support full range and therefore won't display images correctly when being fed such a signal.
I know the range is slightly, limited, but that's not the point. It's not crap. When your tv doesn't support Full RGB and you use limited RGB, none of us will notice and none of us will think we are looking at a crappy image or colour quality.

Indeed, the most noticeable difference is when people enable full rgb on a limited rgb tv set. That will fuck up the the black values. The laughable effect is that people think it's an improvement because of the higher contrast.
Joekie doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Little chance of that in my opinion

Artist said:

Pixel fill rate is the most important element for higher resolutions and XB1 simply cannot compete at this point

I fully expect 720p - 900p games on the XB1 the entire gen

That said, there is a more affordable choice available that offers all the visual refinement of the PS4 version - and more. If you have a decent gaming rig, the PC version is the way to go from a software price/performance perspective. Black Flag is available on PC for around £35 online, while you'll be looking at no less than £48 for the PS4 and Xbox One releases - a tidy saving of £13. Factoring in the ability to achieve a similar level of image quality to the PS4 game while running at double the frame-rate without needing Titan-level hardware, it's clear that PC's stranglehold on the top-end multi-platform experience isn't going to change any time soon.

Just what I wanted to hear. Also nice to see PC prices aren't creeping up much.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That explains why I had such trouble with getting one shanty in the Wii U version and nailed it the first time on the PS4. I knew something felt off about running on rooftops and such on the wii u.

That can't be right. According to WiiU fans. The game is completely playable at 20fps.

system11

It's one of the nicest looking games I've ever played from an overall visuals standpoint, I'd go as far as to call it a PS4 system seller for me.

slapnuts

I thought CPU usage was messed up on PC and 60 FPS was really hard to get because of it?

Not really...i have a 3770k@4.6ghz and a 7970 Ghz Edition and 4xAA/16xAF and i get a locked 60fps in AC4. I like the game but even with the upgraded visuals it still is a last gen game in a lot of ways in terms of visuals..but that water is lovely!

Top Bottom