• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Super Bomberman R 1.3

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
resolution doesn't matter for bomberman
it ruled in 240p and it rules in 720p
(and this is a hell of a lot cheaper than saturn bomberman)

As in, 30 to 60fps ? DF mentions Zone of the Enders collection in the video, but there's also Hyper Light Drifter recently.

I forgot about Hyper Light Drifter but yeah I meant apart from Zone of the Enders which is in the video. The post game support has been pretty great for Bomberman as a whole. More stages, more characters, improvements to online and technical improvements.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yep. The bigger the budget, the more powerful the hardware.

Definitely not a hardware limit. Games like MK8DX, Fast RMX and VOEZ have way more going on and have no trouble holding 60fps. Even Fast RMX uses dynamic res but never drops under 900p.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Frame rate is king, I agree, but there's no way I'm going to support a game like bomberman that can't manage to run at native resolution. 540P is just not acceptable in my opinion.

Fine for you, but I'd rather not consign Bomberman to the dustbin of gaming as it is still has a lot to offer and a lot of enjoyment to give.

A game like Bomberman? There is no game like Bomberman, and that's the reason for its enduring appeal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I always love it when John talks about 60fps menus. HUD elements, maps, and menus at 60fps is appreciated, even in 30fps titles.

Ridley327

Nintendo should do this for 3-4 players in mk8 deluxe

The way they handled splitscreen in Mario Kart 8 doesn't seem like the kind of thing that dropping the resolution would solve. Remember that the game is still technically running at 60 fps and is just updating each screen every other frame while keeping the HUD elements running the same.

resolution doesn't matter for bomberman
it ruled in 240p and it rules in 720p
(and this is a hell of a lot cheaper than saturn bomberman)

It's also a hell of a lot less fun than Saturn Bomberman, which remains the GOAT

Looks fine in docked mode but undocked is pretty blurry. Shame they couldn't lock it to 720 at least

kinggroin

Banned
Fine for you, but I'd rather not consign Bomberman to the dustbin of gaming as it is still has a lot to offer and a lot of enjoyment to give.

A game like Bomberman? There is no game like Bomberman, and that's the reason for its enduring appeal.

There actually a trillion games just like bomberman, including bomberman.

Fireblend

Banned
Sounds good, but a bit too late. With Puyo and MK coming this week getting this sounds like overkill unfortunately :( sucks, this would have been a nice game to have throughout April. I'll grab it on sale if it ever gets one.

TLZ

Banned
I don't understand. Is the switch this weak? Or is the game too demanding? I can't imagine it being very demanding from what I see. Or is it Unity? Or is it the devs?

Or is it a combination of weak hardware plus Unity plus incapable devs who can't optimize?

There actually a trillion games just like bomberman, including bomberman.

Wait.... are you talking about the older bomberman games? I am not aware there are many or any bomberman clones.

I don't understand. Is the switch this weak? Or is the game too demanding? I can't imagine it being very demanding from what I see. Or is it Unity? Or is it the devs?

??? Its just a rush job and maybe the engine not being optimized for switch yet. I mean most bomber man run and plays great with far weaker hardware.

We don't talk about Act zero .

Mendrox

There are more than enough good Bomberman clones - just not on the Switch, but I can only shake my head that people support this unoptimized pos just because it's Bomberman on the Switch for 30€. Bomberman Live Arcade on the 360 was awesome, but now people get this... ahh Konami and Unity. Of course.

For a graphics vs framerate thread, this is actually very civil. I am glad they chose framerate over graphics as the improvement in fps is a lot bigger than the drop in graphical fidelity.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Or is it a combination of weak hardware plus Unity plus incapable devs who can't optimize?

Mario Kart looks phenomenal even in portable mode and with a ton of other stuff going on. This is on Unity/devs.

orioto

Good Art™
The story mode throws in a lot more lighting and shadowing stuff that isn't present in the multiplayer. I honestly wish they could tone those down, as readability remains an issue in that mode.

When not only a dev can't have a proper target matching the console display, but they even add heavy effects that actually hurts the gameplay..

It's like they don't even dev the game for Switch in first place, i don't get it.
Why can't they say from the beginning, the game has to run on Switch, portable mode, at 720p/60fps (if needed) and we scale the graphics so they run like that. And you know what, it'll still look 10 times better than that game with a proper art direction..

I so don't get that in modern dev.. You have a target and you do the graphics you can afford, not the reverse..

Seik

Banned
There are more than enough good Bomberman clones - just not on the Switch, but I can only shake my head that people support this unoptimized pos just because it's Bomberman on the Switch for 30€. Bomberman Live Arcade on the 360 was awesome, but now people get this... ahh Konami and Unity. Of course.

This thread is the very definition of a game being optimized, why is it an unoptimized POS?

Ridley327

The game looks like it had a budget that could buy McDonald's for a family of 12. I can't even imagine that Konami would have bothered with these updates had the game not sold as well as it has.

TLZ

Banned
Mario Kart looks phenomenal even in portable mode and with a ton of other stuff going on. This is on Unity/devs.
Why is Unity used if it's not that good tbw? I've seen a good number of games using Unity that have issues. I'm guessing it's the cheapest/free?

Crappy coding to be honest.. It would just take more time to optimize the game to 1080p 60 fps docked and 720p 60 fps undocked to matter from a monetary prospective. They wanted to launch this game with the Switch with as minimal effort as possible. That way it would be lucrative investment. Unity is fine, it is how the devs decided to use it.

How can they get a game as visually stunning as Mario Kart 8 to run at 1080p/60fps and not this? Is it just lazy programming?

Whatever the case, I'll wait for a sequel that will probably have a bigger budget and more man hours put into it.

Switch is a very capable hardware. Look at Zelda, Fast RMX or Mario Kart 8DX.

This is a low budget, time constrained bomberman game that's pretty solid from what it is

I hope Hexadrive can continue to update and improve the game.

I wonder what it would look and run like if they got rid of the dynamic shadows, and baked them in instead. Could be too much work though.

Wereroku

Thanks.

Whynotboth.gif.

Probably because the mp needs to have a matching framerate.

Switch is a very capable hardware. Look at Zelda, Fast RMX or Mario Kart 8DX.

This is a low budget, time constrained bomberman game that's pretty solid from what it is

I am not sure why people are confused. This is using a pre-baked engine on a tiny budget that was made from scratch. All 3 of the other games always mentioned are either Ports or a new game made with a ported engine. Also Zelda and Mario Kart had significantly more budget and time.

There is no reason you should have to cut this game down to 720p

The reason is people wanted locked 60fps. They probably could have maintained the res and had results that were like the SP portion. Then how many people would be shitting on them for having an unlocked 60. They did what they had to for a locked 60. I am sure Hexadrive will continue to refine the game and engine themselves but this was a short project that has been given more resources because it ended up being very successful.

kinggroin

Banned
Oooooookay.

Point is there are enough really good bomberman games and clones of bomberman games that I don't have to spend the money on this one that isn't optimized the way it needs to be. That said I completely get why someone would pick this up on the switch.

Ridley327

Why is Unity used if it's not that good tbw? I've seen a good number of games using Unity that have issues. I'm guessing it's the cheapest/free?

It's easy to learn and it's cheap. The problem is that it requires a lot of overhead, which makes optimization challenging. This is the first game that Hexadrive has developed on Unity, and for as skilled as craftsmen that they are, it was bound to create a big obstacle in getting the best mix of performance and visuals, especially on the tight budget and timeframe that they had to work with.

Unity in of itself isn't a bad fit for the Switch, as it launched with a Unity game that runs at 1080p/60fps in Snipperclips (though, admittedly, that's not pushing much in the effects department), but it's the kind of engine that requires a lot of TLC to get it to shine properly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Crappy coding to be honest.. It would just take more time to optimize the game to 1080p 60 fps docked and 720p 60 fps undocked to matter from a monetary prospective. They wanted to launch this game with the Switch with as minimal effort as possible. That way it would be lucrative investment. Unity is fine, it is how the devs decided to use it.
Crappy coding? Really now? Knowing what HexaDrive has achieved in the past, that seems like a bold claim. They are very talented coders. With a larger budget and their own tech, though, it would likely improve.

This is their first Unity project, though, and was a launch game to boot.

Point is there are enough really good bomberman games and clones of bomberman games that I don't have to spend the money on this one that isn't optimized the way it needs to be. That said I completely get why someone would pick this up on the switch.

I am genuine curious about the bomberman clones , any examples?

Edit.

Don't tell me that you are talking about Flash games and stuff like that....

Crappy coding? Really now? Knowing what HexaDrive has achieved in the past, that seems like a bold claim. They are very talented coders. With a larger budget and their own tech, though, it would likely improve.

This is their first Unity project, though, and was a launch game to boot.

I am not trying to bad mouth them I am just saying with limited time to optimize and trying to make launch they may have had to cut corners because of the crunch

DF essentially said they dropped resolution to maintain the 60 fps.. I mean maybe they did more , but if all they did was drop rez that doesnt sound like wizardry to me.

Wereroku

How can they get a game as visually stunning as Mario Kart 8 to run at 1080p/60fps and not this? Is it just lazy programming?

Whatever the case, I'll wait for a sequel that will probably have a bigger budget and more man hours put into it.

Why is it always lazy devs with Gaf folks? Mario Kart has a much larger budget and timeframe not to mention it is a custom engine made specifically for the demands of Mario Kart. Unity is an engine made for a variety of games and has to be customized to perform the best for each specific one. Given the time and money behind them I am sure Hexadrive did what they could.

DVCY201

Kinda weird that even Hexadrive couldn't salvage it without dropping the resolution. I would like to hear more about the development behind this game, and why it's having so much trouble

Vinnk

GAF never ceases to amaze me.

The topic is about a DF video that is overwhelmingly positive about the changes made to Super Bomberman R and ends with a recommendation that now is the time to jump in. And immediately people start crapping all over the game.

I have this game and it is so much better after the update. I and many others didn't even notice the resolution. If you look at the threads when the patch came out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362541&

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362855&

Almost no one was talking about a resolution downgrade at all. In fact many people were speculating that if there was a downgrade it was in textures or lighting. But now that the resolution is confirmed it is suddenly too awful to even look at.

HexaDrive did the right thing here.

But go on.

kinggroin

Banned
Easy on the lazy devs talk.

I'd sooner blame budget and Unity, than the devs given their past work. And who's to say things won't continue to improve and a future patch gets this game at native resolution whilst maintaining the framerate upgrades.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the problem here was budget.

Bravo to the dev team, 60 fps or bust

I think so too.

Thinking about a hypothetical sequel (kangaroos!), that would be the first Bomberman game to get some genuine love and attention in a very long time. The developers have clearly shown they want to do that with these patches.

The thing about '94 and Saturn Bomberman is they clearly had a LOT of love put into them. The game may be 'simple' to a lot of people, but when it's polished up it really shines.

It feels much much better to play now. Even the single player feels a bit better.

It seemed like the resolution dropped but it's a bit more severe than I expected. They should have targeted 60 fps from the beginning.

GAF never ceases to amaze me.

The topic is about a DF video that is overwhelmingly positive about the changes made to Super Bomberman R and ends with a recommendation that now is the time to jump in. And immediately people start crapping all over the game.

I have this game and it is so much better after the update. I and many others didn't even notice the resolution. If you look at the threads when the patch came out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362541&

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362855&

Almost no one was talking about a resolution downgrade at all. In fact many people were speculating that if there was a downgrade it was in textures or lighting. But now that the resolution is confirmed it is suddenly too awful to even look at.

HexaDrive did the right thing here.

But go on.

This further cements my desire for Digital Foundry to do a little experiment, and report that a new game's resolution is far lower (720p vs 1080p for instance) than it actually is just to see how people react. And then a week later, report that it indeed is at 1080p and has been all along, and the fact that so many forum goes flipped out about it (which would no doubt happen) says something about how little some people can actually notice details about graphics.

Of course they would never do that because doing so could harm a game's sales for basically no reason, but it's at least a fun thought experiment.

Top Bottom