• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

LCGeek

formerly sane
I find it funny that you could click on a random thread from any year in the Geforce forums and there's a very good chance Sora will be in there blaming and insulting the user for their problems. How the dude hasn't been banned is beyond me.

True but that is nvidia confirmed though, despite I agree with you on that user. Better than what I find at hard forums if you don't nail something perfectly or happen to want anything that isn't ultra elitist grade.

We both know a lot of other forums are bad at banning people.

Mutant

Is it possible to get used to playing it on the Joy-Cons? Someone beat the hardest boss in Dark Souls with the Donkey Kong Bongos, so sure ... anything's possible. But the short travel of the Joy-Con's analog sticks coupled with the reduced frame rate made the game's speed feel out of control in my short time with the game. Once I picked up the Pro Controller, there was still some learning curve, but it was immediately a more natural curve.
Not quite the praise I was looking for.

Sounds like it should've been an in-house port imo.

Scrawnton

I've been playing 30fps destiny 2 on PS4 and I have zero issue controlling the game and it's real fast and snappy. It's hard to take the Doom and gloom 30fps posts seriously when there's a AAA 30fps on the big boy consoles selling in the millions right now.

MDave

Played around with the settings on PC to mimic DF with what looks like the settings Switch will use. Lowest preset, with post processing stuff turned on. Throw this screenshot on your Switch and see what that looks like?!

I centered the gun as I consider this the spiritual sequel to Doom 64 :p

This is 720p with a 25% reduction on rendering resolution so the game is actually 540p and the HUD elements stay at 720p.

Click to enlarge.

e56ab31445.jpg

And this is all the way down to 50% of 720p which would be ... 360p?!

This is a bit extreme. I don't think it looks this low in the footage we have, right?!

iswasdoes

Not quite the praise I was looking for.

Sounds like it should've been an in house-port imo.

Polygon said:
It’s not ideal, but take it from someone wearing a Doom shirt right now: It still brought a huge smile to my face the way Doom did last year, regardless of frame rate, regardless of texture quality.

That's what I'm taking away. Plus it's POLYGON, the relentless negativity machine

orioto

Good Art™
Played around with the settings on PC to mimic DF with what looks like the settings Switch will use. Lowest preset, with post processing stuff turned on. Throw this screenshot on your Switch and see what that looks like?!

I centered the gun as I consider this the spiritual sequel to Doom 64 :p

This is 720p with a 25% reduction on rendering resolution so the game is actually 540p and the HUD elements stay at 720p.

Click to enlarge.

And this is all the way down to 50% of 720p which would be ... 360p?!

This is a bit extreme. I don't think it looks this low in the footage we have, right?!

You know what, when a dev have to go real low rez for a port, they better go full swag.
Keep the game 60fps, 480p, scanlines and crt filter! Everyone will love it :p

True. Everyone plays games at different times at different places in different situations. The main plus (only?) of the Switch port will be portability. That's a fair point.

I mean, that's your choice. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but why would you own a PS4 or a PC capable of playing games like DOOM if portability matters much more to you than performance?

I mean, I guess all I'm really saying is, 60fps in DOOM is important to me, and it seems to be important to a lot of posters in here as well. The Switch port doesn't look bad by any means given the hardware, but I personally wouldn't grab it unless it was my only choice. Especially since portability isn't very important to me. If that's different for you then maybe it's more worth it, but in my eyes, the only reason to get the Switch port over any other port is portability. I suppose that's really the entire crux of the argument, is how important is portability to you?

I like performance sometimes, I care about portability sometimes. When I’m using a portable device, I have a different set of expectations. There are certain games I’ll only bother with because i can play them on the go.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It the Switch, not a PC with a fast video card and gobs of ram.

this will be a fine port.

I'll triple dip. because im like that *disposable income!*

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The people bitching in this thread most likely don’t have a Switch or weren’t even going to get it, they were always going to look for a flaw.
Be as irritated as you want, but can we not do this every time a game on Switch gets criticized?

Qassim

I expected this to be 30fps from the moment of announcement. I'm not surprised and it looks like an impressive achievement. I won't buy it, because it's better on PC and it's not a game I'd fancy playing in a portable setting.

I'm all for porting as many existing games that only previously existed on PC or home console to the Switch, because even if there have to be performance/graphical restrictions, there are plenty of games which I'd love to play portable which I would accept a downgrade from.

I suppose I can't get as worked up about this game being 30fps because to me, playing this game on a controller is as much, if not a bit more limiting than the framerate.

It the Switch, not a PC with a fast video card and gobs of ram.

.. or any of other games consoles which run it at 60fps.

True but that is nvidia confirmed though, despite I agree with you on that user. Better than what I find at hard forums if you don't nail something perfectly or happen to want anything that isn't ultra elitist grade.

We both know a lot of other forums are bad at banning people.

Oh yeah it's definitely a Windows 10 issue, I've been affected by it since the update. That said, I remember looking up a specific problem I was having and in the three threads related to it, Sora would outright deny it was even an issue.

I stopped posting on hardforum for the same reason. Trolls would run rampant since they were "technically not breaking any rules". Well that and when I found out most of the moderating staff were racists/bigots.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That's... disappointing. Doom is one of the few games where 60 fps is really critical to the experience.
until it comes out on switch and sells gangbusters.

ii beat the game twice on pc. im wuite tempted to do it again and then buy this right after just to see.

i like very much that the devs took the reduced hardware as a serious challenge and i hope they are rewarded with boatloads of challenges to port other great games over.

i really hope this game does well and nintendo can finally crack the third party issue

conpfreak

Be as irritated as you want, but can we not do this every time a game on Switch gets criticized?

We can sure do this. These are the same people who showed up in the Breath of the Wild thread saying that they wouldn't buy a Switch or play the Wii U/Switch versions because an CEMU update was coming out to allow it to run at 4k and it would be playable with stable framerate in a few months. They're one track minded and only concerned with optimal performance. Nothing else matters to them.

Mohonky

People expected 60fps?

From what is basically a tablet?

It looks remarkable for the fact it's Doom on a portable. Seriously. The fact it runs at all is mind boggling to me. If they can achieve that, this early before it even releases, then it's more about what iD Tech 6 engine can achieve on the system as middle ware is impressive.

Md Ray

People expected 60fps?

From what is basically a tablet?

It looks remarkable for the fact it's Doom on a portable. Seriously. The fact it runs at all is mind boggling to me. If they can achieve that, this early before it even releases, then it's more about what iD Tech 6 engine can achieve on the system as middle ware is impressive.

This.

Really disappointed. As a handheld I never really found my niche with the Switch yet (and I adore handhelds; Doom on a handheld itself is a great idea), but when you dock it it's completely worse than any other version by far. The lower than low settings, the dynamic res, the heavy downgrades all around affect the art so much that the 30 FPS only seems to be the tip of the iceberg.

So as a handheld I can get all that but then you have a notably worse playing version because of 30 FPS. So the idea of completing a certain challenge or section again on the go is immediately at odds with the quality of the gameplay you're doing it at. I have this game on PC and PS4 and will probably buy it here, but I'm just disappointed overall. Graphics downgrades make the docked version disappointing, the 30 FPS cap makes playing it on a handheld disappointing.

Part of it is also the game for me I guess. I could handle the shitshow that was Borderlands 2 on Vita because of the type of game it is and the less twitchy aspect of it. The Vita itself being a superior handheld for me also helps.

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly after seeing so many different people complaining about the same thing, let me give you a bit of my perspective with quite a popular game right now: Destiny 2.

I played Destiny a lot. When the beta for D2 came out for PC, I played at 60 fps for the first time and was the first in line to say I wouldn't go back to the capped 30 fps console version. Well tell you what: I did. And because the game is good in the end it doesn't matter much.

My point is: DOOM is an awesome game too. And If I can get used to 60 fps in Destiny 2 and 30 fps again after, I dont see why it would be any different in DOOM. It's a portable version. I for one am super happy that I'll be able to play a decent looking version of an awesome game anywhere I want.
I'd be more worried about the online infrastructure for the online multiplayer than anything else if I am to worry about anything at all.
Destiny 1 and 2 were both mainly designed for 30 fps. From the floaty jumps, slow run animations and what not.

Shooting is faster , and controls are responsive more in 60fps, but certain things like animations, and what not were all designed to look and be played out in a 30fps environment.
Doom has mechanics that actually revolve around the speed of the frame rate. From what I've seen of the switch version it looks like certain things have been sped up to compensate for 30fps.
I wonder if animations are shorter as to make the game flow better when in a hectic fight using a power up that makes you stronger or run super fast.
But in any case Doom was meant to be super fast paced, especially with doing visceral combo's, using power up orbs to actually even shoot/kill faster.

That all now has to be compensated somehow in it's timings, animation delay's.
I would rather they find a way to either render the game differently to accomodate switch hardware, and take a hit on res so they could achieve 60fps.
Running at 30fps to me kills what makes doom so great. And that's coming from someone who played it on both PS4 and PC.

Maybe they tried and it looked like crap???
I know people want sacrifices but if the game looked like dogshit at 60 FPS, it's not going to be worth it.

More than likely they have not had a lot of time developing for switch. They could have taken more time to maybe rework the engine more for tegra style chip switch has, and maybe write a more customized api, and renderer to help offset graphical impact on the processing so with a low res they would be able to achieve 60fps.

Gameplay means everything, and Doom is about fast paced in your face action that requires lightening reaction when in later fights during hell sections and beyond.

Really disappointed. As a handheld I never really found my niche with the Switch yet (and I adore handhelds; Doom on a handheld itself is a great idea), but when you dock it it's completely worse than any other version by far. The lower than low settings, the dynamic res, the heavy downgrades all around affect the art so much that the 30 FPS only seems to be the tip of the iceberg.

So as a handheld I can get all that but then you have a notably worse playing version because of 30 FPS. So the idea of completing a certain challenge or section again on the go is immediately at odds with the quality of the gameplay you're doing it at. I have this game on PC and PS4 and will probably buy it here, but I'm just disappointed overall. Graphics downgrades make the docked version disappointing, the 30 FPS cap makes playing it on a handheld disappointing.

Part of it is also the game for me I guess. I could handle the shitshow that was Borderlands 2 on Vita because of the type of game it is and the less twitchy aspect of it. The Vita itself being a superior handheld for me also helps.

Vita is a superior handheld?

Your tag fits.

Zarovitch

What? There's a dock demo? Why nobody talk about it?

1. Borderlands on Vita is a disaster
2. There is no docked footage
3. You will never have a AAA Switch game without downgrades compared to Xbox 1 and PS4
4. Borderlands on Vita is a disaster

inner-G

Banned
iPad Pro is more of a notebook at its price and size. iPad Mini series would be a closer comparison.
He said ANY tablet, not a comparable one.

But even the best, most expensive tablets don't have games of this quality and caliber on them though, so it really matter. My iPad can run KOTOR, but Switch is getting Skyrim you know what I mean?

He said ANY tablet, not a comparable one.

But even the best, most expensive tablets don't have games of this quality and caliber on them though, so it really matter. My iPad can run KOTOR, but Switch is getting Skyrim you know what I mean?

That's true. PS2 and OG XBox ports are still about the best looking games on iPads and iPhones aside from the few racing games on them.

Edit: and the infinity blade games.

On the android side, some of the 360/PS3 ports to Shield TV were and still are really good looking but that's also the same hardware in Switch.

RPGam3r

Ah yes another thread where I get to see the weird GAF bubble acting like 30fps is some crime against gaming.

30fps on the Switch with this game is amazing, well done!

Amazed that anyone expected 60. Gonna try playing my copy at 30 to see how bad it is, but I reckon its a fair trade.

I will double dip just for a portable fps. Hope it has multiplayer

30fps vs 60fps tradeoff
low settings
choppiness
Lower res tectures
lower dynamic resolution

I would say these are terrible trade-offs to play an fps on a tiny screeen.

Do we know the price? If this is full price then they can keep it. Will have to feed my switch something else.

Vita is a superior handheld?

Your tag fits.
As far as portability and comfort go, yes, the Vita is a far superior handheld for me. Battery life notwithstanding, I think the Switch is an ok handheld that's just not easy to use in a public space for me quickly.
What? There's a dock demo? Why nobody talk about it?

1. Borderlands on Vita is a disaster
2. There is no docked footage
3. You will never have a AAA Switch game without downgrades compared to Xbox 1 and PS4
4. Borderlands on Vita is a disaster
My assumption is that the docked version isn't going to drastically improve the graphics or frame rate, and I'd say that's a fair thing to say given past examples. Resolution bumps will be nice but we need to see the extent of dynamic res drops first.

Both your second and third points are valid, but they miss the crux of what I and many others are saying; this type of game, Doom 2016 specifically, feels very cut down in a way that makes it look like, so far, a shell of the other versions available. While Borderlands 2 on Vita was undeniably a stinker in performance, it was bearable because
1) the graphics were downgraded but still retained the game's look artistically. Doom on Switch right doesn't have a solid answer for me on that.
2) while Borderlands is twitchy and the Vita port and hardware affected that, that only worries me more about how an unsteady 30 FPS can affect Doom.

30fps vs 60fps tradeoff
low settings
choppiness
Lower res tectures
lower dynamic resolution

I would say these are terrible trade-offs to play an fps on a tiny screeen.

Do we know the price? If this is full price then they can keep it. Will have to feed my switch something else.

Do you have a Switch?

It's probably the best looking game on the system from a technological view.

My assumption is that the docked version isn't going to drastically improve the graphics or frame rate, and I'd say that's a fair thing to say given past examples. Resolution bumps will be nice but we need to see the extent of dynamic res drops first.

Okay, until then what you have is off screen undocked footage. You're doubling the GPU power when you dock it you're going to see a significant resolution boost but it's not magic.

Both your second and third points are valid, but they miss the crux of what I and many others are saying; this type of game, Doom 2016 specifically, feels very cut down in a way that makes it look like, so far, a shell of the other versions available.

Eh, it's half the resolution and the general concensus from the previews is it plays fine. What you and most others are saying is it's not ideal which is like, yeah, 30fps isn't ideal. But to say it's very cut down, well you only have off screen footage and impressions saying it isn't so hyperbole seems more likely than anything.

While Borderlands 2 on Vita was undeniably a stinker in performance, it was bearable because
1) the graphics were downgraded but still retained the game's look artistically. Doom on Switch right doesn't have a solid answer for me on that.
2) while Borderlands is twitchy and the Vita port and hardware affected that, that only worries me more about how an unsteady 30 FPS can affect Doom.

If you think Borderlands on the Switch is acceptable but this isn't I really can't take a discussion seriously. Doom isn't out yet and impressions are its a solid 30 with some drops. Borderlands framerate is just dogshit start to finish.

BuggyMike

He allowed access to only 3 cores in his test rig in order to replicate Switch, but I thought I remember reading that the Switch has partial access to it's 4th core? Anyone remember this? I think it was possibly in the leaked SDK docs?

Okay, until then what you have is off screen undocked footage. You're doubling the GPU power when you dock it you're going to see a significant resolution boost but it's not magic.

Eh, it's half the resolution and the general concensus from the previews is it plays fine. What you and most others are saying is it's not ideal which is like, yeah, 30fps isn't ideal. But to say it's very cut down, well you only have off screen footage and impressions saying it isn't so hyperbole seems more likely than anything.

If you think Borderlands on the Switch is acceptable but this isn't I really can't take a discussion seriously. Doom isn't out yet and impressions are its a solid 30 with some drops. Borderlands framerate is just dogshit start to finish.
Yo totally down to admit I'm wrong if I'm wrong, but any source saying it's factually doubled docked?

Listen, if you're not going to read, don't waste my time. I said the frame rate was bad for Borderlands on Vita, I said I was going to buy Doom for Switch either way and that I was disappointed by the frame rate. Not only that, I laid out my reason as to why.

As far as portability and comfort go, yes, the Vita is a far superior handheld for me. Battery life notwithstanding, I think the Switch is an ok handheld that's just not easy to use in a public space for me quickly.

Both your second and third points are valid, but they miss the crux of what I and many others are saying; this type of game, Doom 2016 specifically, feels very cut down in a way that makes it look like, so far, a shell of the other versions available. While Borderlands 2 on Vita was undeniably a stinker in performance, it was bearable because

"Very cut down" is very subjective and it doesn't seem that cut down to me. A lower resolution and frame rate. "a shell of the other versions" sounds pretty outlandish and go against what most previews are saying though.

How does DOOM look artistically different from the other versions? Looks like all the same models and assets and art direction to me, just at a lower resolution.

I haven't ready any previews that say its unsteady.. sounds like its pretty consistent with some small drops here and there.

I mean, I can completely understand not wanting to get it because the benefits don't outweigh the costs, but some of the things seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill when you consider what the system is.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is sarcasm, right?

No it's not. I'm not talking about Doom here. I'm talking in general yes performance matter and not just presentation. Same reason some perfer FIFA over PES purely becuase "it's just better to play" in my brother's words who doesn't know what GAF is.

heringer

I can see preferring Vita due to the portability, but comfort? That I don't understand, but hey, maybe your hands are very different than mine.

No it's not. I'm not talking about Doom here. I'm talking in general yes performance matter and not just presentation. Same reason some perfer FIFA over PES purely becuase "it's just better to play" in my brother's words who doesn't know what GAF is.

Careful with anecdotes, man. Your brother is probably a standup dude, but you really think the only reason people would prefer FIFA over PES is framerate? No features or anything else?

Top Bottom