• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnozberry

1. Original rumor hits from Emily Rogers and Eurogamer (who most likely have the exact same source as the past has shown).

2. As a result, everyone expects September reveal.

3. Original source of rumor leak (Emily) tweets it will now be revealed in October.

4. Most people still cling to September reveal.

I guess I don't get the line of logic here.

I think you're in the wrong place if your search is for logic and reason.

ZOONAMI

I can't believe they still haven't revealed this thing given it looked like it was potentially ready for E3 but pushed due to software lineup.

Just show us the hardware and Zelda again Nintendo. If you even had one other game in a showable state (Mario? Pikmin?) that would be enough. They probably don't have any 3rd party games in a showable state and that's maybe the problem.

Starting to get worried this isn't going to show up until Fall 2017. Seems like their dev cycle times are really long with HD graphics. We still haven't really seen a full blown AAA 3D HD game I feel like from Nintendo. Zelda would be the first that qualifies IMO. 3D World was pretty but I feel like the scope was pretty limited, not sure how much it cost to develop either.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can't believe they still haven't revealed this thing given it looked like it was potentially ready for E3 but pushed due to software lineup.

Just show us the hardware and Zelda again Nintendo. If you even had one other game in a showable state (Mario? Pikmin?) that would be enough. They probably don't have any 3rd party games in a showable state and that's maybe the problem.

Starting to get worried this isn't going to show up until Fall 2017. Seems like their dev cycle times are really long with HD graphics. We still haven't really seen a full blown AAA 3D HD game I feel like from Nintendo. Zelda would be the first that qualifies IMO. 3D World was pretty but I feel like the scope was pretty limited, not sure how much it cost to develop either.

What? NO. Revealing the NX and ONLY showing Zelda for games? That would be disastrous. I can already hear all the "NX has no games" posts.

If they weren't going to show it at E3 because the games lineup hadn't totally shored up, they aren't going to blow the lid with just a couple games.

Especially not now that they've told everyone that's why they waited.

I'd count 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon all as AAA 3D HD games, within the realm of the kinds of AAA games Nintendo produces.

udivision

Wouldn't that be Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Nintendo's not going to make something with the budget or team size of a AAA game from other publishers though.

MuchoMalo

Banned
By the way, now that a newer Tegra than Parker has been announced, can we stop saying that Pascal is far-fetched for Nintendo due to being too new now? :p

ZOONAMI

If they weren't going to show it at E3 because the games lineup hadn't totally shored up, they aren't going to blow the lid with just a couple games.

Especially not now that they've told everyone that's why they waited.

I'd count 3D World, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon all as AAA 3D HD games, within the realm of the kinds of AAA games Nintendo produces.

Wouldn't that be Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Nintendo's not going to make something with the budget or team size of a AAA game from other publishers though.

Ah yeah X would be it I guess. I sold my Wii U before ever buying that so it slipped my mind. My bad. If you do count 3D world, Pikmin, MK8 and Splatoon, that's 5 games since 2012 though. With all the studios they have that's not great.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is probably NOT going to be a short post, so beware.

As said earlier, picking this ad to say Nintendo is incapable of advertising their stuff is not...rational. It's much more rational to say that Nintendo can be good and bad at advertising, in different cases.

Examples of bad advertising? Well, the Wii U right after launch, the Digital Event 2015, Wii U 2013 Holidays ads, I'd say the duo Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival as well, ...
Examples of good advertising? Several general 3DS ads, the Digital Event in 2014, Splatoon itself, their Super Mario Run presentation at the Apple Conference.
I'd say their E3 2016 presence too: this is when they had just one major title, alongside other stuff not playable at the booth, and they obtained to maximize the minimum they had (thanks, Kyle Bosman, for the expression :p ): Zelda had made people go wild, and what they did at E3 2016 helped immensely to foster great desire for the game.

Also, I wanted to address more what KingSnake said earlier

The talent in marketing shows in selling products that are good but not selling by themselves like Zelda.

I was already doing it on Twitter, but it's probably better here, without tweet restrictions of any kind: I can provide a deeper answer. His theory is basically: Nintendo is just good at selling popular products, while it's not able to make good products popular.
First of all, it's better to address how we're talking about advertising here, not marketing. Marketing is actually the art of analysing the market and understanding how to capture specific segments of that market properly, and advertising is a part of it. L Thammy offered a good explanation; here, I'll add this quote from Peter Drucker to make the idea even clearer

"The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself."

So, technically, we could say that the best marketing is the one that brings to the creation of products that are so immediately desirable by customers that they can sell by themselves...a bit of the opposite of what stated earlier :p

The ability to make a product more known and desirable, post-marketing process is, indeed, part of the advertising process.
And I'm going to say that Nintendo was able to advertise products that, while good, weren't so good they could sell themselves, at least initially

- Splatoon: this is a product that we can safely say (even if just now, well after its release) hit most of the right notes in terms of very good marketing, so it's not a complete perfect fit for this arguement, and one can say that the initial E3 reception made it clear it was going to sell very well. However, if it weren't for Nintendo's big advertising push, through several means, I really doubt the game would've sold as well as it did. We're talking about a colorful territory-control based shooter on a niche console, a great anomaly compared to the rest of the other games of the genre, it wasn't an instant winner at the time (this is why I stated a few words ago that NOW we can say it's a product of great marketing) but they obtained to use its features as strength...and this is how a new phenomenon in Japan was born (the game sold very well everywhere, but Japan is in a different league).
- Bravely Default: this is a JRPG experience with a very traditional look, despite several innovations included in it. A good product, but not a winner-per-se. However, Nintendo obtained to advertise the title pretty well, especially online, and the results obtained showed it did well: the game became a million seller, with the majority of sales coming from the West; in US only, the game was at > 350,000 copies sold at the end of 2014 at retail, thus around / > 400,000 when digital is included (the game did around 35,000-to-40,000 on the eShop the first month). These are great (and outdated - still, the most recent numbers shouldn't be SO MUCH higher) sales for a brand new IP in the JRPG genre in US.
- Fire Emblem: Awakening: We all know what was the state of the franchise, especially in the West, before Awakening hit the market, right? The best range they could reach was the 250,000-300,000 mark in US, for example. With Awakening, sales exploded compared to the predecessors, especially in the West. How much?

10l.jpg

So much that while Japan saw a very good increase in popularity for the series, US sales were even higher than in Japan, and not by an ignorable margin.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate While this is a Capcom title, Nintendo's influence in promotion is heavily present in the West, including the push at the New 3DS XL launch. The result? Over 1 million copies sold between Europe and US, a first for the franchise. Technically, it could be said that Nintendo's work with MH started back with Tri on Wii, but it's with 4U that even bigger results were obtained.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X Like Splatoon, this isn't the most fitting example, but for different reasons: as KingSnake answered to me on Twitter, this is a game perfectly marketable but that couldn't sell to its full potential, since it's an open world RPG. And while I can't say he's entirely wrong, I would still put it among the other examples because...it was released on Wii U, a console that was far from the best fit for an RPG of any kind: small installed base, but above all time of the release (end of 2015) and the severe lack of RPG on the platform. I'd dare to say that, just like Zelda at E3, they maximized the minimum as much as they could. The game was at 235,000 copies sold at retail in US back in February: this is a solid result for a not-high-budget game (the developers stated as such), released on probably the console representing the worst place possible for an RPG to sell on. Again, the "max-min" angle is where I'm coming from to include X in the list

I was going to include Yokai Watch as well in this list at first, and there would be good basis for it (over 400,000 in US, around 100,000 in Spain alone - a great result given the market - and costant sales in France/Spain and Italy too (unfortunately, the lack of weekly German charts doesn't allow to have a decent perspective on that market), but Hino himself stated that "looking at it from a Yo-kai Watch perspective, that’s not nearly enough" (referring to NA sales), so I preferred to avoid doing it.

They're clearly not impeccable, both in terms of mere marketing (Wii U) and of mere advertising (DE 2015), but they're far from this "disaster" some people here refer to and, yes, they've been able to advertise properly and to sell /help to sell as much as possible good titles that weren't instant winners from the get go.

Ok, this came out as long as expected after all :p

Nintendo probably advertised PM as cheaply as possible because it is on a niche system and there is already a lot of hostility toward it.

It'll sell to people based on whether they know it exists.

Schnozberry

By the way, now that a newer Tegra than Parker has been announced, can we stop saying that Pascal is far-fetched for Nintendo due to being too new now? :p

Nvidia announced they won't be sampling the Xavier chips until a year from now. It's also massively different and much larger than what we would expect to see in NX. It has the proprietary "Computer Vision Accelerator" for deep learning and AI, and it has a lot of silicon dedicated to high res video processors for cameras.

The only things it could really share are the 8-core ARM design and the 512 core GPU, but even that might be too large and power hungry for the NX design, unless they are clocking way down for the handheld mode.

AmyS

When it comes to marketing, their presentation style is probably going to be entirely new when NX drops/during the build to launch.

It might be great. It might be shit. It might be somewhere in the middle. I'm not gonna judge them based on what they did with the Wii U... because SURELY they learned some lessons thanks to that experience.

Surely.

Surely.

Come on, somebody leak something that's not BS.

Nvidia announced they won't be sampling the Xavier chips until a year from now. It's also massively different and much larger than what we would expect to see in NX. It has the proprietary "Computer Vision Accelerator" for deep learning and AI, and it has a lot of silicon dedicated to high res video processors for cameras.

The only things it could really share are the 8-core ARM design and the 512 core GPU, but even that might be too large and power hungry for the NX design, unless they are clocking way down for the handheld mode.

The new current gen Tegra Parker, based on Pascal (what we like to call Tegra X2) would make a lot more sense, if in fact Nvidia is providing the processing hardware.
It's already suited for having twin SoCs in a relatively small form factor. Would be perfect for the SCDs.

udivision

Nintendo probably advertised PM as cheaply as possible because it is on a niche system and there is already a lot of hostility toward it.

It'll sell to people based on whether they know it exists.

Perhaps if it had released somewhat earlier, they could've pushed it more. All the negativity doesn't really mean much to the wider potential audience. Not to mention, it's so pretty and unique looking that it'd be easy to grab attention with.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I already know that it's not a candidate for NX. You missed the point of my post. :p 6-8 cores clocked below 1.5GHz and 256 Pascal CUDA cores is all that we should expect. I was just talking about people saying that it wouldn't be Pascal because Nintendo wouldn't pick a current chip.

Also, the post was a joke.

Surely.

Come on, somebody leak something that's not BS.

The new current gen Tegra Parker, based on Pascal (what we like to call Tegra X2) would make a lot more sense, if in fact Nvidia is providing the processing hardware.
It's already suited for having twin SoCs in a relatively small form factor. Would be perfect for the SCDs.

I don't see any benefit of having two SoCs over one SoC and a GPU in the dock.

ALso, I really think that we need to drop the SCD talk. Everyone here seems way too confident that NX will get an SCD at some point, when the truth is that they'll most likely never see the light of day.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So 6 years ago today Nintendo had a conference to announce the release date and price of 3DS.

LET'S SEE HOW THIS NEW STRATEGY WORKS FOR THE NX.

That was only for Japan. US and other regions didn't get confirmed until January.

But we at least saw the 3DS at the E3 prior, didn't we? We at least knew what it was.

Also, the 3DS was a rushed clusterfuck, with it being overpriced, missing promised features for months, and a terrible launch line-up. I don't want a repeat of that, or worse, possibly.

BD1

Banned
What? NO. Revealing the NX and ONLY showing Zelda for games? That would be disastrous. I can already hear all the "NX has no games" posts.

For real though, I want to see some more Breath of the Wild. Give us some new content Nintendo!

Next week is the week right guys?

Too early for that. Still hope for this week.

5 Hours to go!
kidding

Anyways, I think we can look forward to a handheld with Tegra X2 and a console version maybe Holiday 2017.

I don't care about the hardware anymore.. Just want to know the games at this point

AmyS

I
I don't see any benefit of having two SoCs over one SoC and a GPU in the dock.

ALso, I really think that we need to drop the SCD talk. Everyone here seems way too confident that NX will get an SCD at some point, when the truth is that they'll most likely never see the light of day.

Obviously an SoC has a GPU included. It really doesn't matter whether the complete NX setup or ecosystem in the home is 1 SoC plus 1 GPU in the dock and/or SCD. The point I was trying to make is, Nvidia's next-next gen Tegra Xavier isn't feasible for any part of NX in the near term, but Tegra Parker is within reason, given Nvidia's roadmap. Tegra Parker is ready, Xavier is for 2018 products.

TLZ

Banned
Well, at this point, how would you all ideally want Nintendo reveal NX?

I'm hoping for an announcement after paper Mario out, then kiosks when Christmas shopping season starts for people to try and possibly hold off until March. If not, then kiosks after new year's.

Hopefully.

I didn't know that the Apple conference was organised by Nintendo's marketing.

Didn't they decide to be there for maximum exposure without costing them setting up costs? That's smart marketing.

TLZ

Banned
Not sure if this was ever mentioned in any of the hundred threads but this Wii U controller prototype could reflect some ideas for the NX.

slide002.jpg

Source:Nintendo

Yea we know it, thanks. A devkit for the final Wii u tablet.

Could be the same happening now. Instead this time the tablet isn't limited to home use.

I think some are looking too much into a devkit.

Schnozberry

The new current gen Tegra Parker, based on Pascal (what we like to call Tegra X2) would make a lot more sense, if in fact Nvidia is providing the processing hardware. It's already suited for having twin SoCs in a relatively small form factor. Would be perfect for the SCDs.

The Drive PX2 (the only Pascal based Tegra device known to exist) also has two discrete GPU's and a lot of hardware that wouldn't make any sense for a gaming console. There is no Tegra X2 for consumer electronics devices that was intended as a direct successor to the X1. Whatever Nvidia is licensing to Nintendo is custom and unlike their automotive or AI focused Tegra products. The Denver CPU cores in the PX2 are something I would hope Nintendo would avoid specifically.

I sincerely doubt we're going to see anything related to Twin SoCs for the NX as well. It's adding layers of complexity and cost where they aren't necessary. Nintendo isn't going to sell this thing on power.

Discomurf

Yea we know it, thanks. A devkit for the final Wii u tablet.

Could be the same happening now. Instead this time the tablet isn't limited to home use.

I think some are looking too much into a devkit.

What I found most interesting about it is how the Wii remotes were stuck to the sides -- similar to the rumored description of the removable controllers

Schnozberry

What I found most interesting about it is how the Wii remotes were stuck to the sides -- similar to the rumored description of the removable controllers

That picture came from an Iwata Asks about the development of the Wii U. It was one of the first prototypes for the Wii U Gamepad. They toyed with the idea of having the guts of the Wii U inside the gamepad, but the tech just didn't exist in that form factor at the time.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Obviously an SoC has a GPU included. It really doesn't matter whether the complete NX setup or ecosystem in the home is 1 SoC plus 1 GPU in the dock and/or SCD. The point I was trying to make is, Nvidia's next-next gen Tegra Xavier isn't feasible for any part of NX in the near term, but Tegra Parker is within reason, given Nvidia's roadmap. Tegra Parker is ready, Xavier is for 2018 products.

I'm talking about a dedicated GPU. Unless having more CPU cores would prove useful, there would be more performance to gain from, say, a dedicated GP107 chip than from another Tegra chip, and likely cheaper as well.

The Drive PX2 (the only Pascal based Tegra device known to exist) also has two discrete GPU's and a lot of hardware that wouldn't make any sense for a gaming console. There is no Tegra X2 for consumer electronics devices that was intended as a direct successor to the X1. Whatever Nvidia is licensing to Nintendo is custom and unlike their automotive or AI focused Tegra products. The Denver CPU cores in the PX2 are something I would hope Nintendo would avoid specifically.

I sincerely doubt we're going to see anything related to Twin SoCs for the NX as well. It's adding layers of complexity and cost where they aren't necessary. Nintendo isn't going to sell this thing on power.

You are way over thinking this. Parker is a chip, not a board. There's no requirement for it to be used with other chips, and there's even a version of the Drive PX2 with only one chip. Also, this is a nitpick but the "Tegra X2" technically doesn't exist; there's no chip with that name lol. but yes, Nintendo would use a custom chip.

Schnozberry

You are way over thinking this. Parker is a chip, not a board. There's no requirement for it to be used with other chips, and there's even a version of the Drive PX2 with only one chip. Also, this is a nitpick but the "Tegra X2" technically doesn't exist; there's no chip with that name lol. but yes, Nintendo would use a custom chip.

That's what I said. There is no Tegra X2. The version of Parker Nvidia is producing only exists for automobiles, and wouldn't make any sense for NX. The chip itself has all kinds of silicon dedicated to things that would never be in a gaming device, like hardware decoders for security devices, image sensors, and multiple live camera feeds. It also has Denver cores, which make a lot of sense for the types of code and routines being executed in an autonomous car, but are really poor for gaming overall.

That was the whole point of my post. Looking at Nvidia's other post-X1 Tegra products is not a very good indicator of what will end up in NX. You may as well read Tea Leaves or chicken entrails.

3rd party for this nx thing will be mostly shovelware, free iphone and android games and of course ubisoft and EA with some shity cellphone game. Lets say that they get battlefield 1 on nx who in hell would want to play that game on sonething thats probly not even going to be stronger than a xbox one....

This is going to be the wii all over again, lots of sales and shovelware o plenty with nintendo's games.

3rd party for this nx thing will be mostly shovelware, free iphone and android games and of course ubisoft and EA with some shity cellphone game. Lets say that they get battlefield 1 on nx who in hell would want to play that game on sonething thats probly not even going to be stronger than a xbox one....

This is going to be the wii all over again, lots of sales and shovelware o plenty with nintendo's games.
3rd party will likely be like 3DS's. I think most of the shovelware went on to mobile.

Nintendo has killed all the hype of the NX. Only Nintendo can manage to drain out all the excitement people have had for the NX by waiting so long. The NX will fail. Good job Nintendo you've ruined the NX.

/s

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm sure Nintendo's genius of showing up on stage at an Apple conference will be abundantly clear when they announce their flagship product in a flipping webstream.

I say that as a fan of Nintendo Directs. It's going to send the wrong message.

It was a bit deliciously ironic to see people being excited by that segment of the conference and the hype it generated even in mainstream media and knowing a kernel of those thinks conferences are a waste of resources.

I like Nintendo Directs and the Iwata Asks interviews a lot, but they do not replace a well planned and executed live conference like Apple holds at least twice a year and some classic E3 presentations or pre-E3 Ines: PS4 Reveal and last year E3 were both soooo good for Sony for example :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom