• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Anyone having crashing issues? I've had like 4 crashed and it was always at the most inopportune times deep in the item world. Fucking infuriating tbh.

Digital version btw.

I've had a few occasions where I'll have my switch in sleep mode, then when I go out of sleep mode, the game is frozen. I can go to the system menu, so it's not a system crash.

OmegaDL50

Currently farming for shards. At first, I was doing the Asagi method but I found that too slow. So now I'm farming carnage martial training 4 (the one with 9 bears).

Laharl goes to the side and uses Rising Heaven to weaken all of them. Then I'll use my sage with Capture Skill 3 (which you get from the Capture Squad). I'll capture between 6-9 bears each time. Laharl may kill 3 of them which is why I'll have at least 6 each run.

I'm doing this with a 3* in terms of enemy strength.

I'll interrogate 128 level 9999 bears and after I extract them, I end up with a Magic Extract with around 250k in each stat.

Combine all of them and I currently have 1 mil + in each stat, ready to be used. Waiting till I hit the max before I share them with my 5 characters.

Hmm sounds like a good idea. I think I will do this too.

However I revised it a bit. I taught my main team all Evil Eye for the 5% Enemy Stat reduction for a max of 50% reduced, and using your method against 5 Star difficulty Carnage Bears.

I usually run it 10 times so 90 Bears captured, it's going quite well honestly.

OmegaDL50

When should I reincarnate?

Preferably well into the post-game where you have enough options available to you to easily jump back to level 9999 quickly.

Reincarnation in Disgaea 5 isn't as crucial as it was in previous games. Only if for the fact that max stats now come from mastering all of the sub-classes and shards / extracts. The exception this being HP which has no known cap.

Some slight benefit is recieved from Reincarnating a character, especially Unique units like Killia, Laharl, etc 5 times to get their 25% Aptitude bonus.

Fireblend

Banned
I feel like I need some help. I'm at the boss battle in the Toto Bunny's Castle chapter and having tons of trouble. Most of my characters are level 75+, well above the enemies' levels, and I'm still having a ton of trouble doing damage to them.

Any help?
Anyone? I really feel like I'm playing this wrong :(

Hmm sounds like a good idea. I think I will do this too.

However I revised it a bit. I taught my main team all Evil Eye for the 5% Enemy Stat reduction for a max of 50% reduced, and using your method against 5 Star difficulty Carnage Bears.

I usually run it 10 times so 90 Bears captured, it's going quite well honestly.

Awesome! I might give Evil Eye a try.

This makes me think of another strategy.

Evil Eye
Multi Attacker
Star difficulty around 7?

I would use the same set up. Laharl would go to the side and use Rising Heaven but before he does, I would use my 2nd sage with Multi Attacker so he can use the skill twice. Then capture with my primary Sage.

Maybe with Evil Eye and the 2 Rising Heavens, a 7 star difficulty would be doable for capture?

Anyone? I really feel like I'm playing this wrong :(

I don't remember the stage but are there any geo panels? Maybe ones that have enemy boost or weaken ally? How much higher are you compared to them?

You can grind some more to further that distance or you can level up your equipment in the item world.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't remember the stage but are there any geo panels? Maybe ones that have enemy boost or weaken ally? How much higher are you compared to them?

You can grind some more to further that distance or you can level up your equipment in the item world.
No geopanels. There's a bunch of zombies and Majorita is the boss. My characters are already 30+ levels above, so unless it's normal to need to be super overleveled I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

GaimeGuy

Is there a way to tell whether your character is a genius, incompetent, somewhat skilled, etc?

My understanding is that geniuses can carry over more stats during reincarnation than the next highest tier, and so on.

1. Can you change your natural aptitude when you reincarnate? IE: Can you start as an incompetent magician, and reincarnate as a genius gunner?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, is it the former (incompetent) or the later (genius) that determines how many stats carry over? (If it's the latter, then the first incarnation doesn't matter)

3. Any limit to the number of times you can reincarnate a character?

Will F

Finally finished the story, clocked in at 56 hours. Could have finished it quicker, but I decided to go with a full crew of 10 for battles and messed around a bit with item and chara world. Took a quick glance at a post-game guide, looks like there's so much left to do and i'm about to dig into the real meat of the game!

Sooo... wait, was there a plan to patch the game to run at 1080p or something?

No plans for any patches, just that one randomly dropped a few weeks ago for the NIS-published version of the game that completely fixes the irregular frame pacing in places like the Pocket Netherworld, as well as the minor slowdown that occurs after you load your save and enter that location.

Has this been released yet for the NISA-published version of the game?

No plans for any patches, just that one randomly dropped a few weeks ago for the NIS-published version of the game that completely fixes the irregular frame pacing in places like the Pocket Netherworld, as well as the minor slowdown that occurs after you load your save and enter that location.

Has this been released yet for the NISA-published version of the game?

I just got a Switch with a USA physical copy of this game; does this mean I've got a version that shouldn't freeze? I think it ran an update before I started it but I don't remember for sure. If there was one I would have definitely let it run. Anyways, I've got a baby at home, so being able to sleep the system and not lose progress is important! I'm a bit concerned about it...

It should be fine. I had the earlier build of the game (from launch) and never encountered any freezing, it received an update in April to fix an item world bug though. The May release of the game should have that fix.

No geopanels. There's a bunch of zombies and Majorita is the boss. My characters are already 30+ levels above, so unless it's normal to need to be super overleveled I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The Majorita missions are amongst the hardest missions in the main story, so your trouble isn't totally unexpected.

I use the Tower method to do these missions, as I think you can do them at a lower level this way than any other. Hard to explain in text but I'll do my best.

Tower method:
On turn 1, build up a 10-tall tower behind the base panel.
Do nothing else until zombies are within throw/move range.

Throw or Tower Move the tower as far as you can.
Have the new base Tower Release.
Have the guy who released and the first guy walk on to a 3rd unit, making a 3 tall tower, which is pretty close to an enemy.
Attack/Lift/Attack/Lift/Attack/Lift until you've used all but one unit. If your attack power is lower, Tower Whip, Fishing, and Laser will help you do more damage.
Have the last person pick the tower back up, and "Tower Move" back to your base panel, creating separation with the remaining zombies.

End your turn and do the throw/release/build tower/attack/tower move again on the following turn.

This works on a lot of maps to beat them with a really weak power level, but it's particularly effective against the Zombies because they have a short attack range and a low movement, and there are so many of them.

Starting to get into this game, just finished chapter 2. This is my first Disgaea game! So far it seems awesome. I've got a question about combo attacks - Do ranged characters (like bow or gun) not get potential combo bonuses? I have an archer next to multiple friendly units and the combo chance thing doesn't pop up on the attack target UI. Am I missing something?

just finished the game, should I do the New Game + option to keep going or is there other stuff to focus on to get into the real post game?

I didn't see any new mission areas open up, but did see a lot of new things to vote on(didn't go through the list)

Is the training areas what I should focus on voting in or something else?

also, should my main team be uniques with different subclasses, or is it viable to use the generics?

Right now I have

killia
girl laharl
valkyrie
warrior
celestial hostess

I want to swap the hostess for a sage but not sure if I should like, take christo instead and subclass

DTC

I noticed some enemy Ninjas were using Wind and I'm just wondering how I can teach my own Ninja those kind of offensive spells.

I noticed some enemy Ninjas were using Wind and I'm just wondering how I can teach my own Ninja those kind of offensive spells.
Use a scroll with the skill. Or put your Ninja in the skill squad with your mage as the leader. Cast a spell enough times to get it to level 1 and you keep it.

I've just encountered an odd bug. After the enemies finished attacking and it goes to my turn the game becomes completely unresponsive to any of my inputs. The game isn't frozen, as the on screen animations are still going and so too is the music, and I can use the home button to exit the game. This happened on the Dreaming Mushrooms stage.

GaimeGuy

Is there a way to tell whether your character is a genius, incompetent, somewhat skilled, etc?

My understanding is that geniuses can carry over more stats during reincarnation than the next highest tier, and so on.

1. Can you change your natural aptitude when you reincarnate? IE: Can you start as an incompetent magician, and reincarnate as a genius gunner?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, is it the former (incompetent) or the later (genius) that determines how many stats carry over? (If it's the latter, then the first incarnation doesn't matter)

3. Any limit to the number of times you can reincarnate a character?

Anyone who can answer this?

I believe so. I haven't reincarnated any of the unique (Story and DLC) characters yet but I have with some generic units. The first time you reincarnate someone, there is a base cost of 100 mana+ some odd amount depending on the quality you pick. Like I'm trying to reincarnate someone as a genius and it's going to cost 9600 mana (though that is going to be the second reincarnation so there is a base cost of 200 mana). Though to get back to your original question, no, I don't think their is a way to determine what a particular character is ranked as with the exception of when you make that character and any subsequent times that you reincarnate the character...I think.

It doesn't have any effect on a character other than how they start a particular reincarnation, so I don't think there's anyway to tell what they started as. The effect is entirely based on what you are reincarnating in to.

Yes, you can reincarnate to Genius no matter what you used to be. No there is no limit on reincarnation...the amount of mana required does eventually cap for generics, and it's constant for story characters.

I noticed the demo looking rather blurry on my 1080p TV. Was consider double dipping since I own this on PS4 already, but the spending $60 again on a game that looks slightly worse isn't in the cards.

I'll wait and see if they put 1080p docked back in.

I noticed the demo looking rather blurry on my 1080p TV. Was consider double dipping since I own this on PS4 already, but the spending $60 again on a game that looks slightly worse isn't in the cards.

I'll wait and see if they put 1080p docked back in.

Yeah I've noticed this too on my 1080p TV - the UI definitely looks sharper on the Switch's screen. I don't really mind, but I can understand why you would not want to double dip on that. It looks great on that Switch screen though!

About ~11 hours in now! My first Disgaea game, so I've got some questions:

How does the enemy difficulty scaling in the cheat shop work? It's 1-20 stars and says "lv 1-20" as you increase the stars. I haven't figured out how to predict what the difficulty will be on any given level. For example if I bump it to 6 stars, what's 1-1 going to scale like vs 2-1 or 3-1? Is there any way to know without actually going into the level?

How do you combo attack with ranged attacks? The characters never show up in the team combo section of the 'who to attack' UI.

PKrockin

I just bought this game a few days ago, new to the series. Thankfully my years of exposure to shitty anime has immunized me to the terrible writing so I can enjoy the game itself now. I got rekt on world 2 level 4 or so, the one with a bunch of zombies and a geo panel giving the Anubis-looking boss +10 levels (even though I think he had the same stats when he left the panel?) Almost got him with Tower Fishing, the only way I had to deal much damage to him, but he started healing himself. rip.

I don't really get the geo symbols sometimes. Last few missions there were a bunch of geo symbols around but no panels, and destroying the symbols didn't seem to do anything. What's the deal with that?

GaimeGuy

I finished the story (finally) yesterday. I spent waaay too much time on the story. Like, 3x as much time as other people are clocking in.

Apparently there are multiple endings? I got the one
Where you fight and save Lieze,and it ends with Killia lifting her and saying "Let's go home". Apparently this is the true ending.

Been doing some of the post game content, still have my main units only in the 100-150 range level wise. Not really sure what I'm doing, I'm sure there's optimal ways to grind that save dozens upon dozens of hours.

Note to self: Power your way through story when you play Disgaea 1-4 and future Disgaeas. '-'

Poor Seraphina. Killia: "Hey, Sera, help me pick out a gift for Lieze." Omega Friendzoned

Gradon

I really want this but it hasn't dropped down in price and it's sold out in lots of places, I don't wanna spend £50 on this :/

steveovig

I'm not sure I totally understand the Item World. Do the items get stronger with each floor I beat? The only item I have done the world with is an EXP potion and I can't really tell if it has made the item any more effective. Should I be aiming to level up weapons?

Do the special DLC characters ever become balanced or are they broken till endgame?

I have the same question. I'm 15 hours in using some DLC characters and they are much too overpowered. I started uses new characters I've picked up on the way and they seem way overpowered as well. Does the game difficulty pick up or should I stop using towers to get some challenging gameplay.?

Gradon

Disgaea tends to keep its value. Even on PS4 I don't think it ever dropped below $40.

I think my biggest issue with it is that it launched at £40 and is now £47-55 all over the UK eshop. My fault for waiting I guess. I was able to get Disgaea 3 for £10 in 2009 but I guess I'll just have to wait for 5 :)

I have the same question. I'm 15 hours in using some DLC characters and they are much too overpowered. I started uses new characters I've picked up on the way and they seem way overpowered as well. Does the game difficulty pick up or should I stop using towers to get some challenging gameplay.?

I'm new to the series and about ~20 hours in to this one, so this might be noob advice.

Have you unlocked the Cheat Shop yet? There's an option in there that lets you up enemy levels (it's a slider from 0 to 20). You can make it as hard or unfair as you want. It's just like the difficulty levels in Diablo 3.

When I beat the last level in chapter 3, I was around level 20 and didn't have too hard of a time. I then went into 4-1 with the slider set at 5, all the dudes were level 40 or higher and I got destroyed.

Towers do seem a bit op...but you do lose the ability to use all those people you've got stacked up. I guess it doesn't matter when you are one shotting everyone.

I'm not sure I totally understand the Item World. Do the items get stronger with each floor I beat? The only item I have done the world with is an EXP potion and I can't really tell if it has made the item any more effective. Should I be aiming to level up weapons?

Not sure what leveling EXP potions does exactly, but yeah level stuff your characters use. Accessories that boost all stats are great ones to do, because each item level ups each of those stats. Like an "Imperial Seal" which was +10 or something to all stats. Each level ups that 10 on all stats to something higher.

steveovig

I was used to the Item World being pretty easy but then I started trying to upgrade a Feather Token and everything became more difficult. It's hard to get to Innocent Town with my level 40-50 guys but the upgrades are worth it. I just got to floor 41.

Also, it took me until the
Chapter 6 Bloodis
fight to realize I could make towers and attack with them. He killed me on my first try and then I used a tower and destroyed him.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm about to sell the game. I finished the story but unfortunately it ended up feeling like a total drag and the flexibility of the mechanics never clicked for me in a way that would make me want to play more. =/ too bad, considering how much I usually like SRPGs.

I am never buying a Switch game from GameStop ever again. I bought it "new" yesterday and decided to redeem the club points. Nope already redeemed!
Great game btw. Gonna try some new shit I never did on my PS4 copy.

LordKano

I've played 5 hours so far, a few questions :
- Can't you change Kilia/Overlords classes, or are they stuck to their default one ?
- Is it really useful to create and level up new characters if I'll get Overlords that seems much more powerful than base creatures and doesn't even cost money ? I created a priest at first, but now that I got Christo, she's useless as he's much more competent.

Waji

I'm about to sell the game. I finished the story but unfortunately it ended up feeling like a total drag and the flexibility of the mechanics never clicked for me in a way that would make me want to play more. =/ too bad, considering how much I usually like SRPGs.
It's weird because I got far too strong so easily without doing much.
Maybe the difference was just that I have a thief.

I was just stealing gear from the enemies here and there and I never had to buy anything.
Maybe you should try to steal in the item world too, you'd get some nice gear and have more options.

I've played 5 hours so far, a few questions :
- Can't you change Kilia/Overlords classes, or are they stuck to their default one ?
- Is it really useful to create and level up new characters if I'll get Overlords that seems much more powerful than base creatures and doesn't even cost money ? I created a priest at first, but now that I got Christo, she's useless as he's much more competent.
Yes you can vote for new subclasses.
You're thinking the same way as me. I had a bunch of classes but ditched them all for real characters.
It's a choice. I just kept a thief because it's the best.

Linkark07

Banned
How is this game compared to Disgaea 4?

I prefer this even more than Disgaea 4. Much more enjoyable to play.

Like others have said, the only thing you might not like is the story and characters. Personally, I like them, but prefer much more Valvatorez as protagonist and his crew.

Top Bottom