• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

Metacritic 83

Destructoid 8/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance may not have the best story or cast in the series, but it gets the job done, and brings a ton of advancements with it in the process. I'll probably be playing this one for years to come, and I sincerely hope NIS is able to continue this series. It's still one of the best SRPG franchises in the business.

PSNStores 4.5/5
Disgaea 5 is the best game in the series to date. I might prefer the story/characters in other games sure, but the game mechanics have never been more refined and fun to break.
RPGSite 9/10
Not only will fans of Disgaea discover something here that they can sink hundreds of hours into, but newcomers will find plenty to love about the story. There is also the charming cast of characters, the excellent writing, and that beautiful soundtrack. Not since Final Fantasy Tactics have I had this much enjoyment from a strategy RPG.
PushSquare 8/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is arguably the most complete package in the series. Despite an unnecessarily long campaign that's home to some surprising difficulty spikes, it's still an excellent strategy venture that will give you plenty of bang for your buck.
GodIsAGeek 7.5/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance doesn’t do an awful lot to differentiate itself from previous titles, but some would say it doesn’t have to. Irritating difficulty spikes, a reliance on grinding and a hit and miss narrative are pretty much par for the course, though this iteration’s storyline doesn’t feel as coherent or impactful as some that have come before. Still, it’s an absolute must for fans and a surprisingly good entry point for newcomers.
NicheGamer 8.5/10
So, should you buy Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance? Well, if you’re already a fan of the series, I’m sure you knew you were going to purchase this the moment it was announced. However, if you’re just getting into strategy RPGs, I’d still recommend Disgaea 1 over this title. While the gameplay and visuals might have been vastly improved since 2003, there’s a reason characters from the first game keep finding their way into other iterations—it’s simply as good as it gets.
High-Def Digest 4.5/5
'Disgaea 5' is one of the best strategy RPGs I've played in years. The gameplay is fun and addicting, and the rest of the package offers more than enough incentive for me to play until the ending and beyond. Not only will series fans find another enjoyable entry, but it's easier than ever for new players to get into 'Disgaea,' with the Cheat Shop making grinding quite easy and most of the extra stuff not being forced upon them. Despite my doubts, 'Disgaea 5' sees the series come to the PS4 with all due grandeur. New player or series veteran, this is a fantastic SRPG that should not be passed up.
Cubed3 8/10
This is, ultimately, exactly the game fans have waited for, but nothing more. It has all the core components needed to deliver a fine Disgaea experience. However, the story is, thanks to too much comical relief, easily forgettable. While comedy is an important factor in Saturday morning shonen-inspired works, it should never overshadow and/or trivialise the hardships or growth of its characters. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance delivers what is promised through the brand name, but that is perfectly enough to deliver a fine game!
DarkZero 8/10
In the end, Disgaea 5 may not have evolved much from its glory days, but the latest entry proves that the tried-and-true mechanics still hold up, even if the aesthetics and characters remain somewhat antiquated. There is no other RPG that features this many options, which will undoubtedly win over the hardcore RPG crowd with far too much time on their hands.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5 (Video Review)
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance implements some of the smartest choices the series has seen since its debut in 2003, making this not only the best Disgaea game to date, but one of the best Strategy-RPGs available.

Attack of the Fanboy 4/5
There’s always something new to do in Disgaea 5: a new strategy to adopt, new characters to recruit, new worlds to find, rare items to collect, and an army to grow. You’ll die, even struggle in some instances, but setbacks can always be overcome in a variety of ways. It has its problems, but Disgaea 5 is a fun adventure, one I’m glad I played.
ZTGD 8/10
Disgaea 5 could have easily been one of the best games in the series if it wasn’t for the missteps in the post-game content, but even with those faults, the solid SRPG foundation along with a few exciting new tweaks/additions makes it a worthwhile experience all the same
CGMagazine 7/10
At its best, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is charming. At its worst, it’s very tedious. Unfortunately, its lack of flow and terrible voice acting really hurt any momentum the game picks up from the fun and rewarding parts of the game. If you’re a fan of the series, you’ll probably enjoy this because it’s just like any other Disgaea title. If you’re new to the franchise, you can probably find something better to spend your money on.
APG Nation 8.5/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance continues the Nippon Ichi tradition of delivering outstanding strategy roleplaying games to the West. There is a great mixture of humor and strong mechanics here that will give long-time fans of the series reason to revisit the Netherworld while newcomers will have a whole heap of content to dive into and explore.The new mechanics add a much-needed jolt of excitement to combat yet the tried-and-true components of battle never fail to amuse. It does feel like seeing an old friend again really but what a great time you’ll have. This is a must buy for strategy RPG fans.
PS Nation 9/10
Revenge may be a dish best served cold, but Disgaea 5 is a piping hot recommendation to any players who enjoy strategy RPGs. Whether they like digging into the minutia of all of the things the game has to offer or not, this is a solid experience. So get out there and start blowing up prinnies, dood.

Gamespot 8/10
The game and its numerous systems are a complete time sink that allows you to spend dozens of hours building your perfect character, and then tempt you to do it again a few more dozen times. Disgaea 5 is the biggest and most satisfying installment in the series to date, and It could easily be the last one you ever need to buy.
Game Informer 8.5/10
Disgaea 5 serves up a hearty helping of enjoyable tactical RPG combat, and lives up to the expectations established by its forerunners in the series. Games like this always face the danger of repetition as you plod through level after level, but Disgaea 5 manages keeps things interesting despite the grind.
US Gamer 4/5
This is Disgaea, warts and all. Disgaea 5 is the kind of game that will match the effort you're willing to put into it. If you've loved Disgaea before, hey... this is the biggest Disgaea yet. (Honestly, Disgaea 5 is one of those games that really doesn't benefit from a review because if you're going to buy it, you already know that.) From a gameplay standpoint, I enjoy it the most, even if there are some system cuts I could make here and there. From a story standpoint, Disgaea 4 still takes the crown for me, but this is solidly "good enough" and the cast will still make you laugh. This system with a cast as good as Disgaea 4 would be nearly perfect, but as it stands, Disgaea 5 is merely great. If your tactical thirst is real - and really, there's not much out there for you - Disgaea 5 is definitely worth a purchase.
Gaming Union 8/10
There were some minor stumbles in the process, but the series’ PS4 premier is easily one of the most complete and jam-packed entries thus far. Excluding any of the future DLC, what’s in the base game will easily last strategy RPG fans dozens and dozens of hours. The Disgaea series is back with a vengeance.
We Got This Covered 4.5/5
NIS America has delivered an incredible sequel to a series that already set a high bar in the past. Not only does it manage to add more depth, but it also makes the game much more accessible to new players. Whether this is your first Disgaea game or your fifth, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is an amazing RPG that needs to be played.
Worth Playing 9/10
In terms of game mechanics, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is possibly the strongest entry in the franchise. Almost every change it makes is for the better, and the core gameplay has been polished and refined in countless ways. While it lacks big changes, it's an excellent example of the Disgaea gameplay and one of the most accessible entries in the series. Whether you're a long-time fan or a newcomer, there's a lot to like here. Aside from a few weak story beats, it's an improvement in almost every way. If you're a fan of SRPGs, anime-style humor, or seeing large numbers get improbably larger, Disgaea 5 is the game for you.
IGN Spain 7.2/10
Mainly recommended for the fan of the series. If you liked previous games, you'll enjoy this one, because it's basically the same. For those newbies, you'd better choose another option.
BagoGames 9/10
It would be difficult for me not to recommend Disgaea 5: Alliance Of Vengeance to anyone who wants a great Strategy RPG on the PS4, or to those who once again want to make Prinnies explode by throwing them around.
Examiner 4/5
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is awesome pure and simple. A poor cast and an average story sour its greatness, but the gameplay is solid. This addiction comes once in a great while and this writer, despite his nit picking, embraces it. Dood, don’t miss it.
Enemy Slime 4/5
The game is thick with tutorials and, like most Disgaea games, the storyline of the previous Disgaea and Makai game’s is entirely irrelevant until after you clear the main campaign which all goes to say ‘new’ players curious about the series can jump into Disgaea 5 with no muss. I had fun with my Disgaea 5 experience, and while I wasn’t exactly floored by the new features, I appreciated more customization in content for a bit of a more tailor made gaming experience.
Got Game 4.75/5
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance features quite a bit to like for both long-time fans and newcomers. Fans of strategy RPGs, anime-style humor, and amazingly huge numbers should definitely enjoy the game.
Marooner's Rock 9.4/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is an absurdly deep game is definitively the go-to SRPG experience on PS4. It has the whole package – great art, superb music, hilarious story, deep and complex mechanics, and a post-game that will keep you playing for hundreds of hours. As of my writing this review, I’m approximately over 60 hours into the game, and I still feel like I’m only at the tip of the iceberg. I absolutely cannot wait to keep playing, and I highly suggest everyone who likes SRPGs pick up Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance when comes out for PS4 on October 6th in North America and October 9th 16th in Europe!
Gaming Target 8.5/10
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is a deep, rewarding game of seemingly endless cycles of character leveling and grinding. This is a game that should make happy those that like to micromanage a large number of things across multiple characters in order to maximize their effectiveness in battle but the trade off is a steep learning curve of systems for new players to wrap their heads around. The characters and story are perhaps a bit cliche at times but ultimately their often funny personalities and dialogue kept me invested enough that I wanted to keep going to see the next interaction between them. Players willing to put the time in will find a highly replayable set of encounters and challenges with more advanced characters and strategies.
Gamestyle 9/10
Overall, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance keeps the series trademark high standard of quality going. This has to be among the deepest strategy games ever and if there’s anything with more content outside of an MMO we’ll be amazed. If you like Disgaea then this is a justification to own a PS4 and you can’t really give a game much higher praise than that.
Gaming Trend 7/10
If you enjoy grinding numbers, goofy anime antics, and over-the-top style, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance will give you hundreds of hours of replayability. If you don’t like the idea of spending hours and hours replaying levels and building up characters, then you might want to look somewhere else.
Playstation Lifestyle 9/10
Sound issues notwithstanding, Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is the first worthwhile exclusive for Japanese RPG fanatics on PS4. It has everything that made its predecessors great: a fast-paced, addictive battle system, an abundance of content and a cast of humorous characters.
Game Over Online 9/10
Longtime Disgaea fans will want to get Disgaea 5 as soon as possible. It takes everything that has worked before and makes the gameplay better than ever. While the storyline isn’t all that amazing, it does have some excellent characters and Killia is a blast.It’s the best-looking entry in the series to date, and the increase in battle size makes them seem even more epic. It’s very user-friendly even with its plethora of combat options though thanks to extensive tutorials – so newcomers can feel confident that they’ll able to able to do reasonably well even without experience with the series.
Game Revolution 4/5
Despite a few gripes, I still really enjoy playing Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance, and I plan on playing the “post game” for quite a while. (Make sure to look out for my “tips guide,” which should come out in the next few days.)
IGN 8.7
Few franchises can get away with feeling this similar from version to version, but Disgaea is just that deep, requiring you to understand and exploit character stats, equipment attributes, and class abilities at a level most modern RPGs have abandoned in the name of accessibility. Disgaea 5’s many new and tweaked gameplay features hit way more often than they miss, and together with its distinctive brand of campy fun and some subtle but welcome visual improvements, they make this one of the better Disgaeas.
Digitally Downloaded 5/5
This is a game that simply couldn’t be made on the previous generation of hardware, and this is why Nippon Ichi refrained from attempting a PlayStation Vita port. Disgaea 5 is a PlayStation 4 exclusive because the developer needed the extra power, and it has done a masterful job with it. This is by far the best Disgaea game we’ve seen, and it is a strong contender to be the best tactics RPG ever created.
Playstation Universe 8/10
You can probably beat the game in 20 hours, but that’s only if you put your head down and ignore most of the fun stuff. To really get the full experience, you’re going to need a lot more. Unlocking all of the character classes, building your dream team, going after the high-score bonuses on each level: Disgaea 5 has A LOT of content. We’ve got DLC to look forward to… and of course, you’ll want to pick up as many trophies as you can. But be forewarned, some of the trophy descriptions caution players that they will “take a lot of gaming” to earn. You know you’re in for a long one!

Lets gooo Doood
sprite-PrinnyHerofreakinout2.gif~c200

Yeah, this will probably even out to be 4/5, which works for me.
Disgaea is a series I don't think I can hate (except 2, which the story did it for me even though the gameplay was solid).

OmegaDL50

In the end, Disgaea 5 may not have evolved much from its glory days

Yeah I'm going to have to question this statement.

Also the complaints in one of the reviews saying the story focuses on comic relief. Since when has Disgaea NOT had a comic relief story?

Outside of that, solid reviews all in all.

Dio

Banned
This game is smooth as silk not just performance wise, but in UI and general feel of everything, and the little and larger quality of life improvements do wonders.

You can throw in any direction now instead of in only straight lines, you can pay money straight up to level up units on recruitment (meaning that money now has a use in postgame) and monsters now have their own type of throw. There's so many other little things but I've heard it said that for some people, this is like going from Disgaea 2 straight to 4 in terms of improvements, and I'd agree.

Ashkeloth

Seems decent enough. I was going to pick it up anyway, but it's good to see that it doesn't appear to have any glaring technical issues or glitches.

Maybe this will finally be the Disgaea game that I have time to do the postgame stuff in...

Luigi87

Also the complaints in one of the reviews saying the story focuses on comic relief.
Since when has Disgaea NOT had a comic relief story?

I find it odd that that is a complaint by reviewers.
I personally was more afraid there would be less comic relief. I prefer the comedic aspects of Disgaea by far.

I already tried out the demo and know that I like it. The series does not have evolve much to satisfy me.

If ever there was a series begging for remakes, it would be this one. Disgaea 1 running on this games engine would be dreamy.

tilomite!

This is my favorite RPG series, I'd be there day 1 no matter what reviews say. But it's still good to see it getting solid reviews, it's definitely not for everybody.

Also the complaints in one of the reviews saying the story focuses on comic relief. Since when has Disgaea NOT had a comic relief story?

Disgaea 2 kind of took itself a bit too seriously, but that is just IMO.
It is funny to think about since 3 is about an evil child and 4 is about the love of sardines.

It is hard to say what Disgaea is, think Ratchet and Clank with FFT gameplay.

Can anyone summarize in one sentence what this game is about ? It always reminded me of FF tacitcs.

"All the fun of the level progression and grid map you love from FFT to the umpteen millionth degree"

Level cap is 9999. And there is content to scale there. And the stories are like shonen parody kind of? The first game's story is the strongest because, as some of the reviews say, the characters actually grew quite a bit. Apparently this grips it's humor guns alittle too tightly.

Flarin

I'd have to agree with the reviewer's statement. Disgaea has really never made huge leaps and bounds visually or gameplay wise. Not in the same way other RPG franchises have at least. They're still using the exact same character models from like 4 games ago.

Having played over 10 hours of Disgaea 5 myself I also don't see why it couldn't have released on PS3 and Vita. That all being said, it's Disgaea. It's wacky SRPG fun. If you like other Disgaea games you'll like 5. Just don't expect any crazy amazing changes.

Wish this was on the vita. It feels right on a handheld. Not sure i want a SRPG on a home console. Its looking good though. Might pick it up eventually, undecided at this moment.

OmegaDL50

Can anyone summarize in one sentence what this game is about ? It always reminded me of FF tacitcs.

I'll do you one better.

Disgaea is a Strategy RPG series like FF Tactics yes with various classes can level into better classes, but this is where the similarities end.

Disgaea has a huge emphasis on being over the top. The max level is 9999, character HP values can go into the billions, and attack damage can exceed even that.

I will do a lengthy write up for those starting with this game in the OT, covering the mechanics, what is new in the series, and the basics for everyone starting it as their first game.

Dio

Banned
Having played over 10 hours of Disgaea 5 myself I also don't see why it couldn't have released on PS3 and Vita. That all being said, it's Disgaea. It's wacky SRPG fun. If you like other Disgaea games you'll like 5. Just don't expect any crazy amazing changes.

They said why. Disgaea 4 on Vita chugged on Item World maps, and that had 30 character max on screen at a time and 10 characters in higher definition:

Another quote from Niikawa says: “The number of characters that can be displayed at once has vastly grown. On the PlayStation 3 it was limited to 10 characters shown in high definition, but the PlayStation 4 can display 100 characters.”.

Disgaea 5 has 100.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/12/30/disgaea-5-ps4-exclusivity-explained/

If the Vita chokes on a PS3 Disgaea, there's no way this one would run without massive cuts.

Kalor

I'm thinking of buying this as my first Disgaea game so it's good to hear that there are no glaring problems with it.

Well, considering they're both SRPGs, that would make sense.

But one sentence, huh? I'll give it a shot.

Final Fantasy Tactics on drugs (story, mechanics, etc).

"All the fun of the level progression and grid map you love from FFT to the umpteen millionth degree"

Level cap is 9999. And there is content to scale there. And the stories are like shonen parody kind of? The first game's story is the strongest because, as some of the reviews say, the characters actually grew quite a bit. Apparently this grips it's humor guns alittle too tightly.

Dood
tumblr_mde8oqAQIp1rkk255o1_400.png

Play for dood.

It's an SRPG like FF tactics or FE, but it's more funny, also there is a gigantic amount of optional content and if you love large number this is where they at.

I'll do you one better.

Disgaea is a Strategy RPG series like FF Tactics yes with various classes can level into better classes, but this is where the similarities end.

Disgaea has a huge emphasis on being over the top. The max level is 9999, character HP values can go into the billions, and attack damage can exceed even that.

I will do a lengthy write up for those starting with this game in the OT, covering the mechanics, what is new in the series, and the basics for everyone starting it as their first game.

Thanks guys, will look at it when I have time for other games, which should be december now.

OmegaDL50

I'd have to agree with the reviewer's statement. Disgaea has really never made huge leaps and bounds visually or gameplay wise. Not in the same way other RPG franchises have at least. They're still using the exact same character models from like 4 games ago.

Listen, I'm going to be blunt here, and this has nothing to do with Avatar I use. I can summarize easily at least 25 addition to the series by quoting a post I made previous. Changes to the games mechanics that were never utilized in the previous games. As for the visual comment, I'll have you know Disgaea 4 was the first time in the series they used HD sprites.

The entire sprite work for all of the characters was completely overhauled, same for DD2. So I'm going to say it's blatantly false it's using the same graphics from four games ago.

Also the reason it's not a PS3 or Vita release has nothing to do with the game's visuals, but mechanical issues under the hood (Tremendous slowdown on the Vita port in both D3 and D4 for instance, and even slowdown issues for the PS3 version of D4 and DD2)

But for the sake of keeping this thread on the discussion of the reviews I'll leave it at that.

The only thing I'm not really sold on (and find kind of offputting) is the season pass. How essential do you guys think the DLC will be?

Characters on screen from what i understand.
It was built with the ps4 in mind. Disgaea 5 can have 100 characters on screen where as the ps3 maxed out only got to 30. From what i remember the vita had slowdowns on the ps3 ports so it definitely wouldnt be feasible there. They said overall if they wanted to port theyd have to cut alot. Atleast that's what i remember reading somewhere. Maybe im just crazy :~>

Dio

Banned
IMG_27621.gif

lots and lots and lots of it with story bits in between.

Nope, wrong. Almost all of the grind is postgame content.

The reviews seem to state that there are spikes of difficulty, but those aren't going to be much of an issue at all.

The 'Disgaea is all about grinding' meme is unfair, since if you just want to play a 25-30 hour long SRPG you can play the story mode and not really need to grind.

The heavy grind is optional. Grinding has never been a major thing in the story mode of a single Disgaea, EVER.

The only thing I'm not really sold on (and find kind of offputting) is the season pass. How essential do you guys think the DLC will be?
Fuck, I wasn't aware this was going to have a season pass. Hopefully it's stuff I can pass up on for now, my budget is donezo for the rest of the year

Dio

Banned

DLC for Disgaea games is always extra characters and classes.

For D5, these are the DLC last I checked:

Disgaea 1/Disgaea D2
Laharl
Etna
Flonne
Sicily
Female Laharl

Disgaea 2
Adell
Rozalin
Axel

Disgaea 3
Mao
Raspberyl
Almaz
Sapphire
Salvatore

Disgaea 4
Valvatorez
Fenrich
Fuka
Desco
Emizel
Artina

Other
Metallia (Witch and the Hundred Knight)
Zetta, Pram and Petta (Makai Kingdom)
Overlord Priere (La Pucelle)
Pleinair (Haradaya)
Celestial Host class

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nope, wrong. Almost all of the grind is postgame content.

The reviews seem to state that there are spikes of difficulty, but those aren't going to be much of an issue at all.

The 'Disgaea is all about grinding' meme is unfair, since if you just want to play a 25-30 hour long SRPG you can play the story mode and not really need to grind.

The heavy grind is optional. Grinding has never been a major thing in the story mode of a single Disgaea, EVER.

Considering Ive been with the series from the start, Id say Im pretty right about it.

He wanted a short description, thats what it is.

Though game gives you all the tools to be smart about it which can greatly raise how fast you level. But grinding is still grinding regardless.

Dio

Banned
Considering Ive been with the series from the start, Id say Im pretty right about it.

He wanted a short description, thats what it is.

Though game gives you all the tools to be smart about it which can greatly raise how fast you level. But grinding is still grinding regardless.

You said grinding with bits of story in between. Unless you consider gameplay 'grinding,' that's being misleading.

It's more like

[Playing a regular SRPG with story] -> [Finish game] -> [Postgame hundreds of hours of grinding for postgame content]

Top Bottom