• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Got my copy early!

4bhzAW6.jpg

Time for Vengeance!

I'm only a couple hours in, but what happened to the writing in this series?

Very minor spoilers from the very first scene.

The writing wasn't amazing in the first game, but it's so heavy handed and expository in this one. Like, the throne room scene at the start where the characters say a bunch of really clunky expository dialogue, stuff that both of them already know, no one would ever talk like that.

I'm finding the bad/clunky dialogue keeps taking me out of the game, which never happened in the first game or with Knife Of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches.

The first game seemed to have at least some subtlety, I mean they never even outright tell you Corvo is Emily's father. A lot of the stuff you are left to infer, and I loved that approach.

So far in Dishonored II it isn't like that at all. I get that they have to make sure that people who didn't play the first game understand what's happening, but it's not even so much the exposition as how it's delivered.

Like, in that opening scene Emily even implies she thinks her father might actually be the Crown Killer, and he's just like "Naw, it is our enemies trying to undermine us." Like, if my daughter had just indicated she thought I might have murdered a bunch of people my reaction would be more along the lines of "Do you really think I would do something like that?!" and you could have Emily reply "Well.. you have done questionable things in the past.." which at least somewhat organically alludes to the first game.

And it's pretty much the same writers from the first game, too, except Harvey Smith isn't credited this time and they have one additional writer. I don't get it.

Gameplay-wise I'm loving it so far. Feels great, looks great. I just hope that this bad expository dialogue drops off now that I'm out of the first area of the game.

the whole opening scene is basically classic good and buy guy both being dense as hell.

Rivian

Neo Member
For anyone who's made it past Mission 3:
The Good Doctor

I failed to talk to Dr. Hypatia about Sokolov before she transformed. But the mission objective says it's okay, "there may be another way to learn what happened to Sokolov". I've been all over the map and still don't have a clue what the other way is. Anyone know by any chance?

For anyone who's made it past Mission 3:
The Good Doctor

I failed to talk to Dr. Hypatia about Sokolov before she transformed. But the mission objective says it's okay, "there may be another way to learn what happened to Sokolov". I've been all over the map and still don't have a clue what the other way is. Anyone know by any chance?

There's an Audiograph in the same room nearby. Click it and you'll learn what happened to Sokolov

Karak

You could break them using a pistol or a grenade

Or if you invest into Strength Enhancement, it'll allow you to break them with your sword.

Or if enemies are on the other side. I am not sure what they use. But 2 times now I was killed by whatever it was lol. Door explodes I die.

Completely agree about the bad writing in the opening. Super clunky and it's not emoted well. There's also no build up to what happens. It just occurs and it's not particularly interesting. Everything else is on point but I hope that's not the quality of the script going forward.

AHA-Lambda

Have to agree on the story/writing so far.

Not that the first had a particularly strong story really either, but I was certainly far more engaging than this. A sense of political intrigue and conspiracy that this one just doesn't have.

It's played pretty straight so far after 5 chapters in, it hasn't developed really beyond the premise frankly.

PS: also the VAs for Emily and Corvo both suck

jwtsonga

How is the Xbox one version?

Apparently its only about 720p or 900p (maybe dynamic resolution). And the framerate isn't great. PS4 version looks to be 1080p with decent framerate and not much tearing. PS4 Pro version is apparently the best version. PC port is below average.

Wanderer5

Just got my CE, and shit I was expecting the big size, and yet it blew me away lol. The mask, the metal case, and the ring are pretty nice.

Now to install the game on the PC and see how it goes.

Edit: Damnnit that it?! Still got 28GB ish to get through. This is going to be a overnight thing if I want to play it tomorrow.:/ Oh well.

CHC

The intro scene was definitely a little abrupt, I would have liked if there was one mission in Dunwall preceding it just to set the scene. The first game did a better job, even though it wasn't anything Academy Award winning, it was very well paced and set up a tight, clean tale of revenge and betrayal.

Anno

Yeesh, tough crowd in here. Does the PC port turn bad later? I'm maybe halfwayish through the first mission after escaping Dunwall and things seem fine on High running a 970 after I turned off volumetric lighting and bloom. My only real complaint is the mouse feels a bit floaty.

CHC

Yeesh, tough crowd in here. Does the PC port turn bad later? I'm maybe halfwayish through the first mission after escaping Dunwall and things seem fine on High running a 970 after I turned off volumetric lighting and bloom. My only real complaint is the mouse feels a bit floaty.

If you're already in the Karnaca then that seems to be about as bad as it gets. If it doesn't bother you now, you're probably fine. I've actually been mostly OK with performance but the mouse feel is KILLING me, so I've decided to wait for a patch. As usual, people are overblowing the issues on PC - it has some disappointing aspects, but it's not anywhere near unfixable.

Anno

If you're already in the Karnaca then that seems to be about as bad as it gets. If it doesn't bother you now, you're probably fine. I've actually been mostly OK with performance but the mouse feel is KILLING me, so I've decided to wait for a patch. As usual, people are overblowing the issues on PC - it has some disappointing aspects, but it's not anywhere near unfixable.

Oh okay cool. Yeah I hope the mouse input gets some changes. It's not that I can't control it just fine, it just doesn't feel perfect like the first game did. More than good enough for my first playthrough though so I think I'll keep going for now.

taoofjord

Yikes. The writing and voice acting has taken a nose dive from the first game. The first was simple and classy, this one feels focus tested and way less inspired. It's tropey, poorly written, and awkwardly delivered.

Game seems great so far otherwise. Really great looking too.

Can I permanently holster/unequip the gun or knife? I'm doing a non-lethal ghost playthrough and the flipping of the knife and gun when I do things is getting a bit annoying.

seph1roth

Damn those ps4pro pics, 1080p or 1440p/1800p downsampled to 1080p?

Way better than those PC pics on ultra that i've seen in other posts...weird.

Roussow

So is this one of those games that benifets from turning off all objective indicators? Is the level design good enough and clear enough to eventually funnel you to the places you need to be?

CHC

Oh okay cool. Yeah I hope the mouse input gets some changes. It's not that I can't control it just fine, it just doesn't feel perfect like the first game did. More than good enough for my first playthrough though so I think I'll keep going for now.

Yeah it's a shame they went with a different engine, the first game was silky. So crisp and clean feeling to play.

So is this one of those games that benifets from turning off all objective indicators? Is the level design good enough and clear enough to eventually funnel you to the places you need to be?

Yes, absolutely, it's not a "mini-map" type game. Leave on stuff like health, object highlights, and button prompts for basic usability, but it's pretty much fine to turn everything else off.

A-V-B

Corvo's mid gameplay voiceovers are annoying and silly

ugh

So they happen in the middle of gameplay, completely unprompted? Something I liked about Corvo in the original is that there were a lot of quiet moments where you were left to your own thoughts. You know, time to take in the strange and beautiful scenery.

So they happen in the middle of gameplay, completely unprompted? Something I liked about Corvo in the original is that there were a lot of quiet moments where you were left to your own thoughts. You know, time to take in the strange and beautiful scenery.

Corvo was completely silent in the first game....

I'm still way early in the game, but if I go nuts with the killing in the beginning, I can still get the low chaos ending by cutting back on murder in the future, right?

A-V-B

It's weird to taut the first game's supposed quiet moments when just about every minute of the game was a quiet moment, as far as Corvo's performance is concerned.

It's not weird at all if the second game's quiet moments are going to be filled with voice over.

It's not weird at all if the second game's quiet moments are going to be filled with voice over.
I'm with you. Especially since it's a lot of stuff that doesn't need a voiceover. I'm not going to go as far as to say it's Dexter-esque but it isn't far off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Loving what I've played so far, everything has been expanded upon beautifully, particularly the area design. Meticulously crafted and a joy to explore.

Performance hasn't been an issue so far on regular PS4.

Played a couple of hours on PC and agree. I've got a really good computer and performance has been great.

Other than the voice acting that doesn't at all sell the story they're trying to tell, I'm really enjoying it so far. The movement and combat feels even better than before!

JerkShep

Is it harder than the first Dishonored or is it just my impression? Maybe it's because the "no powers" stretch is a bit longer, but the first mission kicked my ass on Hard when trying to non-lethally explore most of the level. Maybe I'm just rusty, but I felt I did not have many tools at my disposal and there were a ton of enemies.

About the ranged weapons: are they exclusive based on the character? I hate the loud pistol Emily has, I want my crossbow back.

Yeah he was having some lame monlogue WHILE slaughtering people in a gruff monotone voice.

really lame

Karak

Is it harder than the first Dishonored or is it just my impression? Maybe it's because the "no powers" stretch is a bit longer, but the first mission kicked my ass on Hard when trying to non-lethally explore most of the level. Maybe I'm just rusty, but I felt I did not have many tools at my disposal and there were a ton of enemies.

About the ranged weapons: are they exclusive based on the character? I hate the loud pistol Emily has, I want my crossbow back.

I found it much much easier. But it does have a bump at first.

Finished the first mission and it went about how all my attempts to play stealth games go. Tried sneaking, but ended up alarming and slaughtering everyone.

Top Bottom