• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

IMG_7196.png

As others have said: it's not ideal, but I don't think it's hyperbole-inducingly worse than the others.

I made screenshot from 1080p video. Xbox version looks bad.

valeu

i'm on mission 2 and playing on OG PS4. thus far the game hasn't been technically rough in any way. the transitions between cutscenes and game play have been seamless, after you die the game reloads reasonably fast, nothing jittery or a lot of popup, no audio problems and the framerate seems good. if i had to criticize i was say the faces aren't the best looking, but the environments are so chock full of details. you can tell a lot of love went into creating the place, the lore, so many opportunities to learn more about the world. i wish i could see through walls because i am always hiding and get spotted because i can't see what's around a wall

EDIT: I missed the part that holding triangle and left stick lets you lean out undetected.

Karak

Yo, the AI has got issues? The firsts game wasn't perfect, but it provided a compelling enough experience.

Its pretty bad. It failed almost all the chase and vision tests for AI and its dodges regardless of aim direction on the players base meaning they will dodge INTO shots if you aimt to their side which I guess is good if you only have one eye and aim to the right all the time lol. Some videos already showing that.. Better than the first but the first was terrible. Can be lost in seconds here.
Easily patchable and still playable

i'm on mission 2 and playing on OG PS4. thus far the game hasn't been technically rough in any way. the transitions between cutscenes and game play have been seamless, after you die the game reloads reasonably fast, nothing jittery or a lot of popup, no audio problems and the framerate seems good. if i had to criticize i was say the faces aren't the best looking, but the environments are so chock full of details. you can tell a lot of love went into creating the place, the lore, so many opportunities to learn more about the world. i wish i could see through walls because i am always hiding and get spotted because i can't see what's around a wall

I think I've heard enough to trust the game isn't a technical disaster. Gonna open it and fire it up.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just playing the first 30 minutes, but fucking hell the voice acting in this game is plain awful. It really doesn't match the amazing art direction and high production values. I always felt it was weird to have American accents in their setting, but I can understand they consciously did that to make it feel unique or something. So far the acting has just been terrible, though. Video game voice acting typically doesn't bother me, but something about it in this game is really taking me out of the experience...

The voice acting was pretty bad in the first one as well. Especially Pierro

Ellite25

Is this out today? I keep seeing the 11th as the release date but the Best Buy website makes it seem like it's available now. I'm confused.

Its pretty bad. It failed almost all the chase and vision tests for AI and its dodges regardless of aim direction on the players base meaning they will dodge INTO shots if you aimt to their side which I guess is good if you only have one eye and aim to the right all the time lol. Some videos already showing that.. Better than the first but the first was terrible. Can be lost in seconds here.

Okay... Thank you very much.

I just watched your review and it was extremely helpful and I really appreciate your constant flurry of reviews. You are the fucking bomb. I have benefited so much I'm strongly considering the patreon bro.

Dishonored is one of my favorite games despite it's issues. I think waiting for a patch (even waiting several months), is enough to preserve the prestige of the first game to me. The slide spamming thing is unacceptable. "You almost have to want to die" is a perfect analysis of the effect you demonstrated. The sound issues is one of the worst things you could have said. This is a stealth game and sound is highly necessary for compelling success. It's imperative for immersing you in your actions in these kinds of games. The last game was pretty good in this regard. I'm deeply saddened. This was my most anticipated game.

Fortunately your review on COD IW helped me and I love the campaign/zombies and the remaster of course.

I wonder if Xbox One is dynamic resolution, it's generally a softer image than PS4 but there are points than it's especially bad when the engine is being taxed.

shiba5

Played about 3 hours so far on the PS4 and just got to mission 3. I'm really enjoying poking around, but I still missed a ton of stuff. I haven't had any performance issues except for screen tearing when the Bethesda logo appears - kind of a wtf but whatever.

Jb

I spent so much time on the second level, I'm loving it so far. There are so many small stories within one location, and having Emily (great VA) occasionally comment on the situation was a great idea.

If the level design remains as good and interesting throughout I'll be more than happy.

Dang, did you beat this with an early copy or in one day?

Karak

Okay... Thank you very much.

I just watched your review and it was extremely helpful and I really appreciate your constant flurry of reviews. You are the fucking bomb. I have benefited so much I'm strongly considering the patreon bro.

Dishonored is one of my favorite games despite it's issues. I think waiting for a patch (even waiting several months), is enough to preserve the prestige of the first game to me. The slide spamming thing is unacceptable. "You almost have to want to die" is a perfect analysis of the effect you demonstrated. The sound issues is one of the worst things you could have said. This is a stealth game and sound is highly necessary for compelling success. It's imperative for immersing you in your actions in these kinds of games. The last game was pretty good in this regard. I'm deeply saddened. This was my most anticipated game.

Fortunately your review on COD IW helped me and I love the campaign/zombies and the remaster of course.
Sure man. Make no mistake great gameplay stuck in this thing but the bugs are pretty noticeable and I just don't feel comfortable telling folks to get it.
Did have 2 additional crashes since then. Both on pro.

I spent so much time on the second level, I'm loving it so far. There are so many small stories within one location, and having Emily (great VA) occasionally comment on the situation was a great idea.

If the level design remains as good and interesting throughout I'll be more than happy.

It does. Thats one great thing about it.

Dang, did you beat this with an early copy or in one day?

Both technically. For many of us it was available yesterday morning the delivered, VPN, or retail source. Prior to that from what I hear.

Wanderer5

Apparently they didn't call Billy Lush back. Kind of a shame really, as he did a really nice job with the Outsider, but whatever, I sure Robin Lord Taylor can do the job fine.

So I just heard the new VA, and... wow, I think I will take that back lol.

His new voice bugs the heck out of me. Almost sounds like he is a heavy smoker now or something.

So between the consoles, PS4 is the slightly better one? I watched a video but visuals looked about the same not sure about performance

why the heck did corvo let those armed soldiers with robots waltz in? why did they think throwing you into a room with windows and just posting 1 guard was sufficient?

seems freaking stupid

Karak

So between the consoles, PS4 is the slightly better one? I watched a video but visuals looked about the same not sure about performance

yes.

why the heck did corvo let those armed sokdiers with robots waltz in? why did they think throwing you into a room with windows and just posting 1 guard was sufficient?

seems freaking stupid
LOL trust me. THat's not the last time your going to say "WTF"

Jito

Banned

Vision and chase AI issues? I'm having problems with the AI spotting me hidden behind corners and rushing me down when I get spotted all the time on hard. What exactly do you mean?

Karak

Vision and chase AI issues? I'm having problems with the AI spotting me hidden behind corners and rushing me down when I get spotted all the time on hard. What exactly do you mean?

They don't see you at all in various sections(shown today in tons of gameplay video), they can walk right passed you if your even 1 inch above them(which the dev states verticality matters) they chase either to their death(which I guess is cool) or lose all ability to understand what you did if your more than 2 vertical levels above them. On hard I was chased down 2 times in hundreds of engagements. Otherwise I lost them. They also get confused when you use the Emilys movement power and many times they just ran around lose.
But if you like it thats awesome. for sure and I am sure some of it has to do with how folks play.
Edit: Sorry make that 3-4 times chased truly down.

taoofjord

Wow they really messed up the feel of looking and aiming. The acceleration curve is so poorly designed. How could this happen when Dishonored felt so good? I hope they fix this... as a gigantic fan of the first game I've been dying to play this.

Karak

Wow they really messed up the feel of looking and aiming. The acceleration curve is so poorly designed. How could this happen when Dishonored felt so good? I hope they fix this... as a gigantic fan of the first game I've been dying to play this.

Ya not sure how they went about it and why its different than the original

caesar

Banned
How long is this game? The first was a little on the short side, although I understand this one has 2 unique characters.

They don't see you at all in various sections(shown today in tons of gameplay video), they can walk right passed you if your even 1 inch above them(which the dev states verticality matters) they chase either to their death(which I guess is cool) or lose all ability to understand what you did if your more than 2 vertical levels above them. On hard I was chased down 2 times in hundreds of engagements. Otherwise I lost them. They also get confused when you use the Emilys movement power and many times they just ran around lose.
But if you like it thats awesome. for sure and I am sure some of it has to do with how folks play.
Edit: Sorry make that 3-4 times chased truly down.

Haven't watched your review yet but nothing hear sounds particularly bad. That's all pretty much how I want the AI to react.

The verticality thing, though, must be inconsistent. Even on the very first level I've been spotted when I've been perched above an enemy unless they were directly below me (ie out of line of sight).

Karak

How long is this game? The first was a little on the short side, although I understand this one has 2 unique characters.

9+ easy.

Haven't watched your review yet but nothing hear sounds particularly bad. That's all pretty much how I want the AI to react.

The verticality thing, though, must be inconsistent. Even on the very first level I've been spotted when I've been perched above an enemy unless they were directly below me (ie out of line of sight).

lol

So, is the Ai worse than the first game? How about the level design?
Better but not great for AI. Level design easily better.

So I just heard the new VA, and... wow, I think I will take that back lol.

His new voice bugs the heck out of me. Almost sounds like he is a heavy smoker now or something.
I thought he did a good job. But its hard to move on in VA rolls for sure. I can barely remember the original voice actor for that.

Karak

I'm having a problem with some guards seeing me through walls.

If you are moving supposedly that is tied into the messed up audio layering which not only make them louder to you but can make you louder to them. And it was posted somewhere that they were informed

dealer-

So, is the Ai worse than the first game? How about the level design?

I'm playing on hard and AI is just about right, feels realistic and a good challenge for a full stealth and no casualties playthrough.

Performance wise it has been decent on PS4 outside of screen tearing and haven't run into any major drops yet.

AHA-Lambda

well i just finished chapter 5 and have spent 5 hours with the game according to Steam.

This is on medium difficulty, no killing, and with getting a few of the collectibles along the way, but not making that a priority.

Nessus

I'm only a couple hours in, but what happened to the writing in this series?

Very minor spoilers from the very first scene.

The writing wasn't amazing in the first game, but it's so heavy handed and expository in this one. Like, the throne room scene at the start where the characters say a bunch of really clunky expository dialogue, stuff that both of them already know, no one would ever talk like that.

I'm finding the bad/clunky dialogue keeps taking me out of the game, which never happened in the first game or with Knife Of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches.

The first game seemed to have at least some subtlety, I mean they never even outright tell you Corvo is Emily's father. A lot of the stuff you are left to infer, and I loved that approach.

So far in Dishonored II it isn't like that at all. I get that they have to make sure that people who didn't play the first game understand what's happening, but it's not even so much the exposition as how it's delivered.

Like, in that opening scene Emily even implies she thinks her father might actually be the Crown Killer, and he's just like "Naw, it is our enemies trying to undermine us." Like, if my daughter had just indicated she thought I might have murdered a bunch of people my reaction would be more along the lines of "Do you really think I would do something like that?!" and you could have Emily reply "Well.. you have done questionable things in the past.." which at least somewhat organically alludes to the first game.

And it's pretty much the same writers from the first game, too, except Harvey Smith isn't credited this time and they have one additional writer. I don't get it.

Gameplay-wise I'm loving it so far. Feels great, looks great. I just hope that this bad expository dialogue drops off now that I'm out of the first area of the game.

Ill Saint

Loving what I've played so far, everything has been expanded upon beautifully, particularly the area design. Meticulously crafted and a joy to explore.

Performance hasn't been an issue so far on regular PS4.

Karak

The writing wasn't amazing in the first game, but it's so heavy handed and expository in this one. Like, the throne room scene at the start where the characters say a bunch of really clunky expository dialogue, stuff that both of them already know, no one would ever talk like that.

I'm finding the bad/clunky dialogue keeps taking me out of the game, which never happened in the first game or with Knife Of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches.

The first game seemed to have at least some subtlety, I mean they never even outright tell you Corvo is Emily's father. A lot of the stuff you are left to infer, and I loved that approach.

So far in Dishonored II it isn't like that at all. I get that they have to make sure that people who didn't play the first game understand what's happening, but it's not even so much the exposition as how it's delivered.

Like, in that opening scene Emily even implies she thinks her father might actually be the Crown Killer, and he's just like "Naw, it is our enemies trying to undermine us." Like, if my daughter had just indicated she thought I might have murdered a bunch of people my reaction would be more along the lines of "Do you really think I would do something like that?!" and you could have Emily reply "Well.. you have done questionable things in the past.." which at least somewhat organically alludes to the first game.

And it's pretty much the same writers from the first game, too, except Harvey Smith isn't credited this time and they have one additional writer. I don't get it.

Gameplay-wise I'm loving it so far. Feels great, looks great. I just hope that this bad expository dialogue drops off now that I'm out of the first area of the game.
ya man...its something.

Does this game support HDR? Tried it on my Pro and it's not showing up.
no

Elios83

Just playing this on the Pro.
Resolution looks much higher than 1080p, the game is really really clean.
No HDR support though.
The game seems great with a very interesting story but it's too early to tell.

shiba5

If you are moving supposedly that is tied into the messed up audio layering which not only make them louder to you but can make you louder to them. And it was posted somewhere that they were informed

Makes sense. Hope they can patch that soon.

Karak

Makes sense. Hope they can patch that soon.

me as well. Its an odd bug and in a stealth game...pretty damned odd to miss.

seph1roth

I'm playing on hard and AI is just about right, feels realistic and a good challenge for a full stealth and no casualties playthrough.

Performance wise it has been decent on PS4 outside of screen tearing and haven't run into any major drops yet.

Better but not great for AI. Level design easily better.

Thx bros

No one answered me this, any idea?

For those who are playing it right now, is there any possibilty to reach every corner of the maps without using the Outsider powers?

I want to play without them and recently readed that Arkane designed the levels to be played entirely without the powers.

:)

Top Bottom