• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

NAPK1NS

Hmm... so I've been playing for about two hours on PS4. Had I been enjoying the PC version I might be head-over-heels. As it stands, the console version has a pretty labored frame rate. Doesn't feel like a smooth 30 and has significant drops scattered throughout. Additionally, the IQ is super blurry and the depth of the environments is lost. I'm considering holding out for a Pro to get into this one (assuming the improvements are meaningful).

Mr. Tibbs

is it just me or did Dishonored 2 vanish from Steam top sellers lol

It's number two on the global list. Steam reviews are pretty mixed though.
EugpOQF.jpg

Dantero

I'm super happy that you can check your kill count whenever you want now with how long the levels seem to be. Of course like in the first game you still don't notice when someone dies but it's nice to be able to check it every now and then(just lost 20 minutes to not noticing).

is it just me or did Dishonored 2 vanish from Steam top sellers lol

Gone for me, as well.

Edit: Wait, what. If I'm on the store's main page in top sellers, it's gone. But if I click on "see more: top sellers" it's number 3. In "global top sellers" it's number 2.

Mr. Tibbs

Majority of negative reviews are talking mainly about the performance issues.

Yep. That's usually the case when a game has a rough launch.

My first impressions haven't been particularly positive. The opening's really clumsy and feels rushed, and the frequency of the world-building callbacks to the first game is kind of jarring and forced. I can't stand the VO for Corvo (shameless pandering) and Emily. Still early days. I'll wait until the PC version's in better shape before playing more.

I just got the game and my pro today. I'll have to set it up, transfer my data, then dig into this game. I missed the DLCs so I'll probably play through the whole first game and the DLCs first and then onto the second game. Dishonored 1 was one of my faves last gen so really eager to play it again.

Dingles

I think so yes. It's a code in the box. At least for however long this deluxe version or whatever it's called is being sold.

Ah doesn't seem it. Just picked up the PS4 Pro + Dishonored 2 from Argos (UK). No code! Oh well :p I'll do some hunting down for it. Really want to play through the first!

Karak

Yep. That's usually the case when a game has a rough launch.

My first impressions haven't been particularly positive. The opening's really clumsy and feels rushed, and the frequency of the world-building callbacks to the first game is kind of jarring and forced. I can't stand the VO for Corvo (shameless pandering) and Emily. Still early days. I'll wait until the PC version's in better shape before playing more.

For me the same + the issues + that AI. jeeeezuz.

Hmm... so I've been playing for about two hours on PS4. Had I been enjoying the PC version I might be head-over-heels. As it stands, the console version has a pretty labored frame rate. Doesn't feel like a smooth 30 and has significant drops scattered throughout. Additionally, the IQ is super blurry and the depth of the environments is lost. I'm considering holding out for a Pro to get into this one (assuming the improvements are meaningful).

No. You Wouldn't.

Tsukumo

First impressions.

Disclaimer: played the original probably more than ten times. Was not going to day-one this because of money, but the recent bomba-thread made me a bit apprehensive about the fate of the game so I wanted to support Arkane.
Also the DE was a nice addition.

- Don't like the "new" version of the Void engine. The sort of cel-shaded textures are gone and the new ones are glossy. It's very difficult to discern the items you can pick or use from the ones you can't, even with the highlights from the game-hud.
People faces also look ridiculous, because they've maintained the unrealistic proportions of the first game while the textures went hyper-realistic. It really doesn't fit the art design of the first game.

- I like that the items you can pick up and interact with are the same as the previous game. Makes it easier to spot them and it's a nice self-reference. Feels like home.

- The voice acting of Corvo is possibly one of the worst miscast I've heard in years. Tone is too gritty and the acting too intense.

- Love the crazy amount of lore they put in. There's a lot to read. Not Skyrim levels of texts, but frequent and long enough.

- The minor adjustments to gameplay are absolutely spot-on. Non-lethal takedowns in combat, slide in and out of running, new approach to the cover system and a bunch of new animations during kill-cams. Parrying seems a bit off, don't know exactly why, might be my pad.

- I would suggest anyone playing this game to put the Friction option in the settings to ZERO. I started to play and didn't realize why the camera-view would switch 45 degrees at once everytime I turned around. What were they thinking.

Edit: also playing on the Bone. Haven't seen any major technical issues.

seph1roth

For those who are playing it right now, is there any possibilty to reach every corner of the maps without using the Outsider powers?

I want to play without them and recently readed that Arkane designed the levels to be played entirely without the powers.

- The voice acting of Corvo is possibly one of the worst miscast I've heard in years. Tone is too gritty and the acting too intense.

That's just crazy. Not only is Russell always good but Corvo doesn't have any characterization in the first game though he's clearly a badass so I don't know how he could be perceived as too gritty or too intense.

Satch

Banned
oh i just bought Dishonored 2 on the psn store and i havent really been keeping up with things

the only option was for Limited Edition and was the same price as any other game (59.99) so i just bought it. im checking the downloads now and it says i get the original game too for that price?

thats such a nice surprise for me, i really needed it after these past few days

CHC

Yo, the AI has got issues? The firsts game wasn't perfect, but it provided a compelling enough experience.

From everything I've seen the AI is actually better, almost terrifyingly so. I had a hard time not getting caught in the first open area to be honest, but maybe I'm just rusty.

black070

That's just crazy. Not only is Russell always good but Corvo doesn't have any characterization in the first game though he's clearly a badass so I don't know how he could be perceived as too gritty or too intense.

Agreed, I think it fits really well, especially since he's playing an older, father figure role.

justjim89

Man, I spent a half hour trying to find a way to get to the rune in the basement level of the abandoned sanitarium level, no dice. I must have missed something.

Care to screenshot it? I have a pro and to me it looks amazing and runs at solid 30.

Im tempted to get this for the ps4 pro. Where are the reviews? Is the game any good?

The reviews were embargoed by Bethesda, even reviewers will not be able to get their copies until today, technically, so maybe the first reviews can hit tomorrow if they fly through it.

Same thing they did with Doom, and seems it will be common practice by them going forward as a publisher. It's a shame that Dishonored 2 is actually ending up a black mark due to these reports of technical issues, particularly on PC (looking at the mixed reviews from Steam users), whereas Doom ended up being a great surprise.

In any case, it is tough to get a read on the impressions so far, but generally it seems that technical issues and some visual issues maybe dampen what seems to be an alright sequel gameplay-wise.

JRW

I feel like I must be insane, but I'm simply not seeing whatever you are. It looks like an ever so slightly blurrier version (at distance) than the PS4.

The difference is rather noticeable to me, maybe cause I'm browsing PC on a 50", XB1 version has that old school PS3 Vaseline filter look.

Curufinwe

I pre-ordered the PS4 version from Amazon yesterday, and even though the game page says "release day "delivery" for Prime members, the best free shipping method when I checked out was two-day. I selected that since Saturday is fine, but then today I see the estimated delivery day is fucking Monday.

So I contacted customer service and they apologized and supposedly they will contact the carrier to speed up delivery.

I need some assistance in the Clockwork Mansion level. Spoilers ahoy.

How am I supposed to power the Electroshock machine? I'm assuming it's some combination of buttons on Bay 1 & 2, but I haven't found any notes indicating which two. The animation for switching them is also UNBELIEVABLY slow.

Edit: Got it to work -
Got it to work with Optics on Bay 1, and Anatomy on Bay 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just playing the first 30 minutes, but fucking hell the voice acting in this game is plain awful. It really doesn't match the amazing art direction and high production values. I always felt it was weird to have American accents in their setting, but I can understand they consciously did that to make it feel unique or something. So far the acting has just been terrible, though. Video game voice acting typically doesn't bother me, but something about it in this game is really taking me out of the experience...

black070

I need some assistance in the Clockwork Mansion level. Spoilers ahoy.

How am I supposed to power the Electroshock machine? I'm assuming it's some combination of buttons on Bay 1 & 2, but I haven't found any notes indicating which two. The animation for switching them is also UNBELIEVABLY slow.

Just to the left and right of it you'll see panels listing things such as 'Anatomy', 'Optics', 'Weapons' etc, choose 'Optics' for one and 'Anatomy for the other.

Top Bottom