• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
S1e17_dipper_ashamed.png

Heh, "tapeman".

Careful, you gotta spoiler some things! Remember, not everyone sees the new show right away, plus, we get a lot of new arrivals...
But, back to your point. I concur. A moment to reflect...
One more thing (kinda a warning). Definitely, Gravity Falls GAF, stay away from gamefaqs for awhile.
Sorry about that I thought it was safe to post it like that.
And I definitely won't go to Gamefaqs ever again because of the previously discussed Wendy incident and the spoiler thing. Actually, ever since it was posted that there were spoilers around the net I decided not to leave this thread. It's more fun to speculate than to know what will happen next.

I don't think that that will be much of a problem.

I'll try to resist...

Oh no this is so hard...

I'm guessing bad experiences, huh? Before my NeoGAF days, I used to hang out a lot on the gamefaqs boards. I contributed tons of FAQs, codes, and even saves. I'm just shocked that the mods let people get away with stupid shit like that. (I got banned/deranked a few times for saying things of lesser serious nature). I still go to various boards for quick FAQs or trophy advice once in a while.

Sorry about that I thought it was safe to post it like that.
And I definitely won't go to Gamefaqs ever again because of the previously discussed Wendy incident and the spoiler thing. Actually, ever since it was posted that there were spoilers around the net I decided not to leave this thread. It's more fun to speculate than to know what will happen next.

It's not that bad. If you want some advice, and want to check out some great GF sources, you can try the GF wiki. That's where I get a lot of my caps and gifs that I post here. Another more current one is the reddit sub, where spoilers are labeled as such and official staff for the show post once in a while.

Also, no worries about the spoiler boxes. Its just NeoGAF takes it seriously (and yeah, got bitched at for it myself). Just do it for things that reveal serious plot points.

Heh, "tapeman".

You gotta love the little touches like that. Personally got "Crazy Taxi" vibes from
Stan's mad driving
. Still, you gotta feel bad for Dipper (not as bad as I feel for
Wendy
) but still, the net is already demonizing the kid. I still say he was doing great until
he did his victory dance with Stan (nice to actually see him help Dipper for once) and that final line with Wendy
; he dropped the ball like a Chicago Bear on Superbowl Sunday. (coming from a Chicagoian, so no rivalry hate meant!)

Ah, hell, let's face it, if the kid was a NeoGAF member, the only thing that would have been different would be he would have asked
Wendy to go " Wii Sports Bowling"
instead...

FillerB

I'm guessing bad experiences, huh?
The only reason to visit GameFAQS is for the faqs for which it is a better resource then anything else except perhaps some game-specific wikias. Why anyone would visit it for their messageboards is beyond me.

But a thought occurred... how aware of the paranormal activities surrounding their town is the population of Gravity Falls? Stan and Gideon are both aware of it, but I can't imagine that they are the only ones. One hike into the woods and you already stumble over MANotaurs and goblins. Not to mention that nobody seems to bat an eye at 2D character from a fighting game walking through time. And Grenda and Candy seemed awfully cool with body switching or the fact that their teen idol group
are actually clones

Maaaybe. Adventure time recently joined the Blu Ray club so there's hope.

Same goes for Regular Show in the summertime.

I'd say it's a 50/50 chance. Disney rarely does season sets (look at phineas and ferb or Kim possible) but more mainstream shows (like the above or avatar) get boxed sets. It's kinda sad to see the new TMNT get the individual DVD release treatment.

But a thought occurred... how aware of the paranormal activities surrounding their town is the population of Gravity Falls? Stan and Gideon are both aware of it, but I can't imagine that they are the only ones. One hike into the woods and you already stumble over MANotaurs and goblins. Not to mention that nobody seems to bat an eye at 2D character from a fighting game walking through time. And Grenda and Candy seemed awfully cool with body switching or the fact that their teen idol group
are actually clones

Yeah, Soos says in the first episode that he always sees crazy stuff, but no one believes without proof. Ditto with the cops as seen in "Irrational Treasure."

Was actually theorizing with friends, but if they ever revisit the gnome path, I'd say that Wendy would make a comment along the lines of she (as the braced, pigtailed 12 year old presented in "Double Dipper") was attempted to be made queen of the gnomes, but was too big to be carried away! After all, she is the only other young female that regularly hangs in the woods, right?

EDIT - new numbers released for last week, Gravity Falls remains #1 animated telecast @ 3.16 million viewers (was 4.5 for "Deep End")

http://www.nickandmore.com/2013/04/...nior-ratings-highlights-for-april-15-21-2013/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started watching this show. It took a few episodes to click, but I really like the show now. The last episode I finished was episode 16.

Mabel always makes me laugh.

The Street Fighter parody episode was great!

I'm starting to get a little worried about this show. I love it, but there seems to be a lack of interest from Disney to promote it anymore than it already has. I'm willing to be alright with them waiting for summer for newer shows, since it's technically a summer show, but that's... all the explanation I can think of. How do I tell Disney I love it? Is there even an official Facebook page? What about the massive dearth of merchandise? It's obvious to us, on the internet, that many people really like it, but is it to the network? I want to support it, but there's very little to do other than word of mouth :\ WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LOVE YOU!!

I'm starting to get a little worried about this show. I love it, but there seems to be a lack of interest from Disney to promote it anymore than it already has. I'm willing to be alright with them waiting for summer for newer shows, since it's technically a summer show, but that's... all the explanation I can think of. How do I tell Disney I love it? Is there even an official Facebook page? What about the massive dearth of merchandise? It's obvious to us, on the internet, that many people really like it, but is it to the network? I want to support it, but there's very little to do other than word of mouth : WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LOVE YOU!!

Personally, I believe that while they were hoping for good things, they weren't expecting it to be this popular. Check the ratings numbers I post in this thread. The show is SLAUGHTERING everything (AT, RS, TMNT 2012, etc). Like I said in the gaming side, within a year, you'll see clothing, games, and other merc. Hot Topic won't know what hit them!

I just hope the game is more like Wayforward's Adventure Time game versus the Disney crap on DS. Hell, I'd even settle for a PS3 GF game using the Wonderbook technology. That Harry Potter game, while super cheesy, had AWESOME tech. Imagine holding a virtual #3 journal as you play the game.
If not, I can easily see a Maniac Mansion/Lost Vikings style GF game being made.

I'm starting to get a little worried about this show. I love it, but there seems to be a lack of interest from Disney to promote it anymore than it already has. I'm willing to be alright with them waiting for summer for newer shows, since it's technically a summer show, but that's... all the explanation I can think of. How do I tell Disney I love it? Is there even an official Facebook page? What about the massive dearth of merchandise? It's obvious to us, on the internet, that many people really like it, but is it to the network? I want to support it, but there's very little to do other than word of mouth :\ WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LOVE YOU!!
I know dat feel. I wish I had a Nielsen box so I could directly affect GF's ratings. It makes me feel so helpless thinking that I can't do a whole lot to help the show. One thing we could do is buy the episodes on Amazon. If they see that people are willing to spend money to rewatch the show, then that could change their minds. On the other hand, as bad as GF get's hiatus'ed, it's nowhere near as bad as Fish Hooks get screwed over. That's something.

I know dat feel. I wish I had a Nielsen box so I could directly affect GF's ratings. It makes me feel so helpless thinking that I can't do a whole lot to help the show. One thing we could do is buy the episodes on Amazon. If they see that people are willing to spend money to rewatch the show, then that could change their minds. On the other hand, as bad as GF get's hiatus'ed, it's nowhere near as bad as Fish Hooks get screwed over. That's something.

Stupid question, but I thought those only affect local broadcast? I thought Cable/Satelite boxes are able to report their own numbers (kinda like how you can order PPV thru one?)

Damn, I always mark the new GF episodes like every airing that week thinking it helps.

Stupid question, but I thought those only affect local broadcast? I thought Cable/Satelite boxes are able to report their own numbers (kinda like how you can order PPV thru one?)

Damn, I always mark the new GF episodes like every airing that week thinking it helps.

Nah. Nielsen boxes are for nationwide stuff too. I don't think cable and satellite boxes are used for that kind of thing. Not completely sure though.

While I wish you would've used a different word to articulate that point, it's not just this show. What's with modern cartoon scheduling? Does every kid have ADHD so they just spring new episodes on them like surprises? I just don't get it.

While I wish you would've used a different word to articulate that point, it's not just this show. What's with modern cartoon scheduling? Does every kid have ADHD so they just spring new episodes on them like surprises? I just don't get it.

probably work around school schedule.

Read on ign today that Star Wars Clone Wars was nominated for a bunch of daytime Emmys, along with Korra, TMNT 2012, and the new Transformers.

And Gravity Falls...not...one...fuckin...nom.

http://www.emmyonline.org/mediacenter/daytime_40th_nominations.html

ibvYCSS1VJTMiX.gif

But then, I was thinking, what about the prime time Emmys? GF is in a weird place, because it premieres at night, but replays the following morning (but then so do all of the above technically). A lot of GF rivals like Regular Show, Adventure Time, Phineas and Ferb, etc. are listed under prime time Emmys (I didn't know the RS episode where Mordecai clocks Benson won an Emmy...) yet, under the short-format category (i.e. 11 minute episodes).

So, if GF is going under the outstanding animation category, that means it would be up against Simpsons, Family Guy,American Dad, Cleveland Show, Bobs Burgers, South Park, etc. which is a pretty big risk.

So, what says you, GF-GAF? Did Hirsch and crew get snubbed, or you think they're going for the bigger nut in September?

Raxus

I want to believe it was because Gravity Falls didn't qualify. I dunno why Young Justice was snubbed as well. At least TMNT was nominated.

Gravity falls is just Niche. but then again that still doesn't excuse it. maybe it requires so many Episodes of a show to be considered.

Alex didn't say anything on twitter about it?

Gravity falls is just Niche. but then again that still doesn't excuse it. maybe it requires so many Episodes of a show to be considered.

Alex didn't say anything on twitter about it?

From what I could see, nope. The only thing GF related he mentioned is that there's only 3 episodes left (but doesn't say when it's coming back or how's he counting the supposed hour long finale)

Sorry, guys, I'm not a twitter person, so is there anyone here willing to ask?

Some news, but not exactly good news:

tumblr_mmmoc9Bk7X1qe8oe9o1_1280.jpg

What the hell is going on at Disney? Should we, GF-GAF, rise as one and beat the mouse with all those unsold copies of Epic Mickey 2 or what?

Nah, no doubt on the don bluth reference (such a DEPRESSING fucking movie...); I was referring to this from last year from AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/alex-hirsch-gravity-falls-showrunner-comedy,85801/

Alex Hirsch said:
We’ve actually got a really great story later in the season where
Grunkle Stan’s frustration that Mabel is keeping a pig in the house builds to a head, and Stan wants the pig out and Mabel loves the pig and Stan and Mabel are in direct conflict for the first time. It’s really fun to see those strong personalities rub up against each other

Raxus

I'm surprised you guys are shitting on Disney who has been putting a ton of love into their creators recently. Gravity Falls has already been renewed for a second season and has been drawing consistently high ratings.

Like it or not Disney schedules around events. The last episode to air was a Freaky Friday special where they had body swap specials and Carpet Diem. While it makes airing the show wildly inconsistent it draws the younger viewers in when there is a deluge of new episodes. Yes, waiting sucks but at least Gravity Falls is safer than most of the Disney XD shows. Most of which got canned after one season or were a disaster (ASM says hi).

I hope Disney shows the same 'love' to McCracken's new show whenever it airs.

FillerB

The scheduling has been fairly consistent except for these two hiatuses.

Episode 1-2 = 2 weeks
Episode 2-3 = 1 day
Episode 3-4 = 6 days
Episode 4-5 = 1 week
Episode 5-6 = 1 week
Episode 6-7 = 3 weeks
Episode 7-8 = 1 week
Episode 8-9 = 1 week
Episode 9-10 = 3 weeks
Episode 10 -11 = 2 weeks
Episode 11 -12 = 1 week
Episode 12 -13 = 19 weeks
Episode 13 -14 = 2 weeks
Episode 14 -15 = 2 weeks
Episode 15 -16 = 3 weeks
Episode 16 -17 = 2 weeks
Episode 17 -18 = 10 weeks

As you can we got a new episode on average on a weekly/biweekly basis. One might argue that Disney is planning stuff to coincide with certain holidays or events (which could be true for 16/Carpet Diem) yet I fail to see how this would account for the multi-month hiatuses. I'm probably just overlooking something and please don't hesitate to tell me what this something might be but as far as I can see they just did it for the hell of it.

Now it is of course great that a second season is already confirmed and you are certainly right in pointing out that GF is better off that a lot of other shows but I do wonder how many kids would just rather tune in a new episode every week instead of having endless reruns. I know that I got really ticked off at all the reruns Dragonball Z got back in the day between new batches of episodes and I can only assume that that sentiment hasn't changed much between then and now.

tumblr_m6vc6o7DRV1rafdwyo1_500.gif

What the flying fuck, Disney? Hirsch should have pitched the show to the Hub. At least there they seem to care about their cartoons.

Uhh...(looks at Dan Vs.)

I'm surprised you guys are shitting on Disney who has been putting a ton of love into their creators recently. Gravity Falls has already been renewed for a second season and has been drawing consistently high ratings.

Like it or not Disney schedules around events. The last episode to air was a Freaky Friday special where they had body swap specials and Carpet Diem. While it makes airing the show wildly inconsistent it draws the younger viewers in when there is a deluge of new episodes. Yes, waiting sucks but at least Gravity Falls is safer than most of the Disney XD shows. Most of which got canned after one season or were a disaster (ASM says hi).

I hope Disney shows the same 'love' to McCracken's new show whenever it airs.

Good point, and the new twitter revealed that's the kind of thing they're waiting on. Like I said before, I truly believed DIsney wasn't prepared for GFs success. However, look at TMNT 2012. That easily could of gone either way, but once they saw the money train, they renewed it ASAP for 3 seasons.

GF was only renewed for the 2nd season only after the first hiatus. Meaning, unlike Turtles, it may be a while before the second season airs (not venture bros bad, but it'll be close...)

Also, stupid question, but what's ASM?

The scheduling has been fairly consistent except for these two hiatuses.

Episode 1-2 = 2 weeks
Episode 2-3 = 1 day
Episode 3-4 = 6 days
Episode 4-5 = 1 week
Episode 5-6 = 1 week
Episode 6-7 = 3 weeks
Episode 7-8 = 1 week
Episode 8-9 = 1 week
Episode 9-10 = 3 weeks
Episode 10 -11 = 2 weeks
Episode 11 -12 = 1 week
Episode 12 -13 = 19 weeks
Episode 13 -14 = 2 weeks
Episode 14 -15 = 2 weeks
Episode 15 -16 = 3 weeks
Episode 16 -17 = 2 weeks
Episode 17 -18 = 10 weeks

As you can we got a new episode on average on a weekly/biweekly basis. One might argue that Disney is planning stuff to coincide with certain holidays or events (which could be true for 16/Carpet Diem) yet I fail to see how this would account for the multi-month hiatuses. I'm probably just overlooking something and please don't hesitate to tell me what this something might be but as far as I can see they just did it for the hell of it.

Now it is of course great that a second season is already confirmed and you are certainly right in pointing out that GF is better off that a lot of other shows but I do wonder how many kids would just rather tune in a new episode every week instead of having endless reruns. I know that I got really ticked off at all the reruns Dragonball Z got back in the day between new batches of episodes and I can only assume that that sentiment hasn't changed much between then and now.

Yeah, but at times, GF isn't on for a week straight. If anything, do it like NIck with TMNT 2012, and have one night a week for marathons. Also, is the series now playing on Disney XD or not? In the states, it reran on the channel for one week, but then was pulled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with DBZ, it was a different issue, with buying those new eps. then fully translating them, right?

Can you imagine what season we'd be in by now if it was on CN? We'd have gotten a TV movie by now!

Yeah, but GF is different from AT and RS. I think Disney seen the overall "heart" of the show, where the other two are more zany (not a knock). The one thing I always hear about those two is how some episodes just end really abruptly...

remember all, Nickleodeon originally passed on Adventure Time (it was on Oh yeah cartoons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom