• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney, ESPN Networks Join PlayStation Vue, Reduced Prices Start at $39.99

PR_rambo

Banned
Ok, now they have actually made me consider this. 54.99>the 90 bucks i'm paying right now. And with ESPN added, they've pretty much got every channel i'd want

I know that Google Fiber is coming to my area so if Vue makes it here before I have to agree to a yearly Fiber sub, I could have a really good alternative to Comcast. Now, I wait.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
For someone who only gets tv during football season and hates dealing with comcast this is awesome.

Is it in the entire Bay Area? I can't tell from the website.

Considering I'm paying $100/mo on DirecTV for their cheapest local sports package and 1 DVR, the $45/mo Core package on Vue is nearly impossible to pass up.

Time to purge my DVR backlog and make the switch! Really hope this service gains some traction as a better alternative to the outdated and overpriced cable models.

Toki767

You do realize they have exactly that as well right? There are premade packages as well as the option to select channels and pay a la carte. Soooo yea... You sure showed them with your objection to their not having something they actually have.

I don't recall seeing the option to select channels individually. $40 is still kind of a lot for someone who doesn't want ESPN when that's probably what is keeping prices so high.

Chris R

$40 a month for basically every channel I watch is a savings of $45 a month for me...

This needs to expand ASAP.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyway tried this in NJ since we're basically right next to Philly & NY?

I live in central Jersey and it works without a hitch. Quality is great even on my crappy Internet connecting abs the UI is very sleek and far snapper than any cable companies version that I have ever used.

Sony has a really viable service here and could potentially be a big deal, especially if they keep reducing the cost.

Anyone know what the hold up is for adding more cities or just launching nationwide? are these initial cities a test, prior to a national launch?

ShutterMunster

I was just complaining about this two days ago! So thrilled to have ESPN and a reduced price. They have to improve PS3 performance and overall stability though. The performance is ABYSMAL on PS3.

Tom Nook

For someone who only gets tv during football season and hates dealing with comcast this is awesome.

Is it in the entire Bay Area? I can't tell from the website.

Type your Zip Code. I live in SJ and it's considered SF Bay Area.

thelastword

Banned
I don't recall seeing the option to select channels individually. $40 is still kind of a lot for someone who doesn't want ESPN when that's probably what is keeping prices so high.
You do realize they just reduced the prices even with the inclusion of ESPN right?

HStallion

The price was 10 dollars higher before they added ESPN And Disney stuff.

LifEndz

Holy shit! I was just talking about this. If that 39.99 package has just three of the channels I want, I'm in! Now I'm off to find a channel list for each tier.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I think I'd switch over to PS Vue if they put it on AppleTV... Who wants to use a PS4/PS3 controller just to watch TV? Would be really ideal if they made a dedicated box, though... Just turn it on (no selecting the app from a menu) and boom there's TV.

Perhaps they could even call the box "PlayStation TV" now that the name isn't needed anymore!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Espn and a price drop? They have my attention even more now. And I can get the kids Disney XD and more...

RedAssedApe

Banned
anyone know if harmony remotes work with the vue app?

also has the image quality improved? i remember the picture being a little soft compared to my time warner cable channels

pretty awesome if i wasnt renting my aunts place right now with her subscribed cable I'd sign up for this...moving out in july so count me in then.

HStallion

Yes, but even Sling TV admitted that it was $20/month because of ESPN. ESPN is the most expensive network for cable companies as they get the biggest fee per subscriber.

And that might be the deal sling had to do. Doesn't seem like it's making things more expensive for VUE users.

If they added The CW I'd give it a shot, more than half the shows I actually watch anymore are on there (something that is still kind of surprising to say). Sure, I could wait a day and watch their stuff on Hulu, but not being able to watch stuff live entirely defeats the purpose of services like Vue.

You do realize they have exactly that as well right? There are premade packages as well as the option to select channels and pay a la carte. Soooo yea... You sure showed them with your objection to their not having something they actually have.

There's four a la carte channels right now: Fox Soccer Plus, Machinima, Showtime, and Epix (which is only available in combination with Showtime). For 99% of people, that's a laughable selection. Better than nothing? Sure. But it has a long way to go toward being truly create-your-own TV. I'm just critiquing your response, not the overall service. The $40 plan is fantastic for most, myself included.

MrBenchmark

I'll stick with Sling TV
I used to say that too. Sling blows compared to this. I had both since inception. VUE is far better they just need to keep it solid as they expand.

And for anyone wondering this service works AMAZING on Amazon Fire tv devices I use it on that more then the PS4 or 3.

haigo

can anyone tell me what this is tied to from a rights management? is based off of address? account location? CC billing address? would love to give this a try, but being in Canada, that probably won't happen anytime soon. I do have an address i can bill to in the US though, but not in the cities where this is available.

MrBenchmark

can anyone tell me what this is tied to from a rights management? is based off of address? account location? CC billing address? would love to give this a try, but being in Canada, that probably won't happen anytime soon. I do have an address i can bill to in the US though, but not in the cities where this is available.
Location based from what I've seen if I'm out of my area the VUE app on my iPhone won't play shows.
This could just be during beta period. Not sure.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If they added The CW I'd give it a shot, more than half the shows I actually watch anymore are on there (something that is still kind of surprising to say). Sure, I could wait a day and watch their stuff on Hulu, but not being able to watch stuff live entirely defeats the purpose of services like Vue.

Damn didn't notice cw was missing. Need my flash and arrow fixes.

Top Bottom