• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney, ESPN Networks Join PlayStation Vue, Reduced Prices Start at $39.99

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Serious question, does playstation vue support remote play to PS TV?

I do not believe so, but it does come with the Firestick, which you can probably plug into another TV. Also works on iPad/iPhone, Chromecast, etc.

Came in to ask this lol

I don't know what's taking them so long

It is not them, it is the markets and fighting to get into them. Telecom has a huge political stranglehold on these markets.

Hence why you can't just get any internet service under the sun. And a town neighboring will have a different provider.

They also have to reach agreements with each individual local news (even though the media is owned by 6-8 major corporations now), go figure.

Maybesew

No it doesn't. In fact PlayStation Vue has a bug that causes problems with Remote Play under certain conditions that blocks you from using Remote Play. Super annoying.

I do not believe so, but it does come with the Firestick, which you can probably plug into another TV. Also works on iPad/iPhone, Chromecast, etc.

Not shocking i guess given the lack of support for the PS TV, but it's funny that it runs on fire stick and ios, but not a sony first party device. Luckily i have a fire stick I could use instead of the ps tv.

I would seriously consider subscribing if they brought it to Minneapolis. 40 bucks is still a little steep for me, since I'd use it almost exclusively for the weekly wrestling shows, but I've spent more money on dumber stuff and it'd be nice to watch Raw live without resorting to potato-quality pirate streams.

Or just put Raw on the fucking WWE Network. Come on, guys.

I'm in Miami and will definitely be looking into this with the new reduced price and the addition of ESPN. Even if I pay the same, anything to give Comcast less money.

WadeitOut

Some of you must have awful com prices in your areas. It would cost me an additional 29$ at a locked in rate to attach cable to my fiber internet contract. And I would get a lot more channels.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not shocking i guess given the lack of support for the PS TV, but it's funny that it runs on fire stick and ios, but not a sony first party device. Luckily i have a fire stick I could use instead of the ps tv.

Agreed. Definitely a missed opportunity, but then again, they are not in a lot of markets at all right now. So it would have done nothing to boost the PSTV attractiveness. If they were able to get into most markets, at least all major cities, it could have done something for the PSTV device probably.

I do think they are more focused in having the service on other established smart devices and TV's which are already out. More money in the service itself, letting other hardware manufacturers that are established take on your app.

Wereroku

Some of you must have awful com prices in your areas. It would cost me an additional 29$ at a locked in rate to attach cable to my fiber internet contract. And I would get a lot more channels.

In my area you are looking at around $30-$35 for the package however that doesn't include any of the extra equipment charges and any taxes and fees. To cover the same number of rooms with the same features it would cost around $60 bucks or more.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I would be pretty surprised (and jealous) if it was actually just $29. For me, it was the extra fee for the cable, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous regulatory fees, cable box rental charges, etc. My last bill had $40+ bucks in these miscellaneous expenses.

Extra 40 bucks a month to add cable to my internet. If I want a DVR its a 20$/month rental. If I want another box with a DVR it's another $20/month. Throw in all the fees that they make up and add to your service and the fact that the 40 bucks a month is an introductory price and will go up to $60 or $70 later, means you would pay $120ish for Cable and the boxes and stuff you need, versus 40 per month and then whatever two fire sticks costs you, and the fire sticks are infinitely more useful than a cable box.

Just a heads up, the Fire TV Stick is super sluggish in running PlayStation Vue. It's borderline unusable and not a good experience. It's odd given they give you one for free for trying out PlayStation Vue. So don't hold it against the service with your experience using a Fire TV Stick. The regular Fire TV is fine though.

I would be pretty surprised (and jealous) if it was actually just $29. For me, it was the extra fee for the cable, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous regulatory fees, cable box rental charges, etc. My last bill had $40+ bucks in these miscellaneous expenses.

Ever thought about going satellite? DirecTV doesn't have all those random fees. Right now if I signed back up for DirecTV it would be cheaper than PlayStation Vue.

The price is not cheaper than the tv portion of my bill from my tv provider. Plus you can't skip commercials in on demand content as I can with my dvr recordings. I thought the point of this was to let you choose only the channels you want. Just seems like more of the same except you're paying sony.

Ever thought about going satellite? DirecTV doesn't have all those random fees. Right now if I signed back up for DirecTV it would be cheaper than PlayStation Vue.

I don't think this is accurate. Most rates shown for DirecTV are promotional, 12 month rates. For just a DVR and HD channels, that is $20-$25/mo in equipment fees. If you wanted local sports channels, that package is $70+ after the promotion pricing. Trust me, I'm paying $100/mo for DirecTV right now and could get the same group of popular, core channels and local sports on Vue for half that price, with only a small compromise in image quality and DVR capabilities.

Geneijin

Typically, when I was offered that several times by Comcast, each time I was entered into a non-disclosed 2-year contract. The 1st year would be for the price I negotiated, and the 2nd year is when they jack up that price. Early termination fees apply. Been through it so many times that I finally convinced the family last year to drop cable TV service entirely.

Extra 40 bucks a month to add cable to my internet. If I want a DVR its a 20$/month rental. If I want another box with a DVR it's another $20/month. Throw in all the fees that they make up and add to your service and the fact that the 40 bucks a month is an introductory price and will go up to $60 or $70 later, means you would pay $120ish for Cable and the boxes and stuff you need, versus 40 per month and then whatever two fire sticks costs you, and the fire sticks are infinitely more useful than a cable box.

I use a win7 pc as my dvr. Also their faq says you can't skip commercials in on demand content. That's a deal breaker for me.

I don't think this is accurate. Most rates shown for DirecTV are promotional, 12 month rates. For just a DVR and HD channels, that is $20-$25/mo in equipment fees. If you wanted local sports channels, that package is $70+ after the promotion pricing. Trust me, I'm paying $100/mo for DirecTV right now and could get the same group of popular, core channels and local sports on Vue for half that price, with only a small compromise in image quality and DVR capabilities.

Ya, the right now means the promotional rate and it would be cheaper than PS Vue. I just canceled DirecTV 3 months ago so I'm pretty familiar with them. You don't pay a box fee for the first box. It's part of the main subscription. There's no regulatory fees attached either. That's not to say there weren't ways to add on things to increase the price, but I found the number of upcharges to be pretty minimal compared to what I hear about cable.

Edit: Wait, what the shit is this? Since when is local sports channels only on the most expensive bundle? They used to be standard across most packages. Man I regret canceling now since I was grandfathered. I wonder if I can reactivate. If not, they've permanently lost me as a customer. This was only a temporary cancellation before.

Geneijin

Ya, the right now means the promotional rate and it would be cheaper than PS Vue. I just canceled DirecTV 3 months ago so I'm pretty familiar with them. You don't pay a box fee for the first box. It's part of the main subscription. There's no regulatory fees attached either. That's not to say there weren't ways to add on things to increase the price, but I found the number of upcharges to be pretty minimal compared to what I hear about cable.
Actually, they changed that for me when I had DirecTV last year. It was $6 for each box because HD was now free, but the equipment fees would cover that obviously.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm just thinking about my mom who is legitimately technology challenged, and I'm assuming there's tons of others that are generally within that same camp.

My mother doesn't even text on her old flip phone and my dad had trouble using the DVR but they actually like the interface for VUE. They weren't attached to numbers and seemed to get used to it after some practice and repeated viewings.

Edit: Wait, what the shit is this? Since when is local sports channels only on the most expensive bundle? They used to be standard across most packages. Man I regret canceling now since I was grandfathered. I wonder if I can reactivate. If not, they've permanently lost me as a customer. This was only a temporary cancellation before.

Maybe it varies by market but I checked this morning and my local sports affiliate (FS West) was included only starting in their "Choice" package, which is the 3rd tier up. Not the most expensive package, but $23/mo more than the base "Select" package.

I hear you on DirecTV though - I've always been very happy with their services and prices have usually been equivalent to my internet provider. But the cost difference to Vue is now looking like it could be hundreds saved a year now.

Huh I don't have any issues with it myself what makes you say its that bad?

- Fast forward/rewind is borderline unusable which makes it painful to fast forward through commercials or jump to a specific point in a show.

- Inability to time shift with a program in progress

- Unable to extend or adjust recording time for a show that may run over the normal time slot

Nafai1123

Banned
Huh I don't have any issues with it myself what makes you say its that bad?

It definitely needs work, but I don't think it's terrible per se. There are some really frustrating things about it though.

Live content is different than the DVR of live content. If you are watching live, you have about a 5 minute buffer but it won't let you rewind past that. If you want to watch something from the beginning (let's say...a Warriors game and want to skip the commercials), you have to start from the beginning to use the DVR function.

Which then leads to the second problem, the live DVR function is shit. I don't know if it's a resource issue or what, but regularly during NFL and NBA games if I try to watch something from the DVR while it's still live, it will either not work at all, or will be SUPER buggy. Just last night I was about 10 minutes behind the Warriors game and for some reason it kept jumping up more and more in time until I was live.

They also desperately need better fast forward options. 30 second skip or do what Netflix does with preview panes so you don't have to rely on hitting play at the exact right moment.

These problems don't bother me too much, given the fact that it's still very much a beta product and will continue to get better (and apparently cheaper too). Love that they are adding channels while reducing my price by $10/month. I'm not sure there's another cable provider out there that can make a similar claim.

MrBenchmark

This is great that all that's added and a price drop instead of an increase but I hope they start to address some of the big flaws in PlayStation Vue. The channel selection and price point are good, but they need to address the shitty almost unusuable DVR, the unreliable access to shows, the lack of 5.1 audio, and getting NBC/Universal/Comcast to remove their stupid restrictions.

It does if you use it on the PS4 or iPad. It does not if you use the Fire TV or Chromecast. One thing to note is for some reason Comcast Sports Net seems to hiccup more with maintaining 60 fps for some reason. When watching the Super Bowl, it was perfect but whenever I watch hockey, it dips every now and then. I haven't figured out if it's Vue or my connection.

I'm in San Jose and can get it so I'm assuming it's the entire Bay Area.

Ya it kinda sucks, but logistically it's kind of hard to do any extended DVR. They're pretty much caching a month's worth of shows for you to pull on demand. That's roughly 1.3 TB a channel in storage. Multiply that by 100, since they advertise over a 100 channels, and you're at 130 TB a month for DVR storage. Multiply that by every month you want to extend that and it becomes huge.

What's great about their DVR though is any show that's shown multiple times a day or throughout the month can all be cached which means you can have a huge instant on demand library of any show in syndication or being run constantly. For some shows that means you can have the entire series or a big chunk of the series on demand.

where is it listed that 60fps is PS4 and ipad only? I'm using a Wired 2015 Firetv and it looks exactly the same as on the PS4.

Maybe it varies by market but I checked this morning and my local sports affiliate (FS West) was included only starting in their "Choice" package, which is the 3rd tier up. Not the most expensive package, but $23/mo more than the base "Select" package.

I hear you on DirecTV though - I've always been very happy with their services and prices have usually been equivalent to my internet provider. But the cost difference to Vue is now looking like it could be hundreds saved a year now.

I just checked me locally, and well their confusing channel listing seems to imply I can only get my local Comcast Sports channels with their most expensive package which is $90 at a discount and normally $130. It was never like that before. I'm hoping that's not right because that's insane.

I was pretty happy with them and only canceled because I moved and didn't have the time to schedule them to come out. Plus PlayStation Vue just announced ABC and Disney was coming and I thought I'd give them a shot for a few months to see what they were like. I was still on the fence about going back because despite costing more, it's a better product and experience than PlayStation Vue. The short comings of PlayStation Vue are pretty annoying to me, but the price point is the only reason I'm sticking around at the moment; that and just not having the time to deal with DirecTV getting installed again.

where is it listed that 60fps is PS4 and ipad only? I'm using a Wired 2015 Firetv and it looks exactly the same as on the PS4.

Unless they updated the Fire TV app within the last couple of weeks to make it 60 fps, it wasn't before and this was tested on both a first gen and second generation Fire TV. I'm super frame sensitive about sports being 60 fps, so it's one of the first things I always check. Most services/streams don't get it right, but on the PS4 and iPad, it's one of the places that do. Sports at 60 fps is an absolute must for me.

MrBenchmark

I just checked me locally, and well their confusing channel listing seems to imply I can only get my local Comcast Sports channels with their most expensive package which is $90 at a discount and normally $130. It was never like that before. I'm hoping that's not right because that's insane.

I was pretty happy with them and only canceled because I moved and didn't have the time to schedule them to come out. Plus PlayStation Vue just announced ABC and Disney was coming and I thought I'd give them a shot for a few months to see what they were like. I was still on the fence about going back because despite costing more, it's a better product and experience than PlayStation Vue. The short comings of PlayStation Vue are pretty annoying to me, but the price point is the only reason I'm sticking around at the moment; that and just not having the time to deal with DirecTV getting installed again.

Unless they updated the Fire TV app within the last couple of weeks to make it 60 fps, it wasn't before and this was tested on both a first gen and second generation Fire TV. I'm super frame sensitive about sports being 60 fps, so it's one of the first things I always check. Most services/streams don't get it right, but on the PS4 and iPad, it's one of the places that do. Sports at 60 fps is an absolute must for me.

Where was it tested though I'd like to see this. I have both system on my Vizio P55 4K and the shows look exactly the same.

So this service is same as a cable service but just cheaper? It does not allow selecting channels a la carte but packaged channels? How does the DVR functionality works?

DedValve

Banned
In NYC, are there any good internet only plans? Because I still think its cheaper to get decent internet with forced cable that I don't use than just an internetn only package + this.

I would like to watch some Disney shows again (way too lazy to even pirate, I just stick on netflix now).

MrBenchmark

Which shows are you testing? Not all shows run at 60hz. Also make sure you have frame interpolation turned off too.

I'm talking sports I watch sports all the time both look perfect smooth. And I can always tell when frame rate is off. It's why i'm still pissed off about PSTV remote play perfomance.

My Tv is calibrated with none of the BS settings on game mode and everything runs thru it's HDMI 5 port which has a known 18.5ms input lag .

Who tested it? where?

In NYC, are there any good internet only plans? Because I still think its cheaper to get decent internet with forced cable that I don't use than just an internet only package + this.

I would like to watch some Disney shows again (way too lazy to even pirate, I just stick on netflix now).

Optimum has 50/25 internet for $64.95/month. Add a Mohu Leaf Metro for $20 and you get OTA channels. That's what I do now. For sports, I just use Reddit streams or my family's ESPN/TNT logins.

My total bill was $147 with internet and basic cable ($80 after all taxes and fees), so you would still save $40 if you got internet + Vue. You can get a promotional price that's cheaper or on-par with internet + Vue, but after year 2 it goes up, so unless you want to be changing cable providers every 2 years just to save money, this is the best way to go.

Top Bottom