• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney, ESPN Networks Join PlayStation Vue, Reduced Prices Start at $39.99

harSon

Banned
Awesome. I just signed up for the free trial day before yesterday. I have to say I'm extremely impressed. I have it running on a Playstation 4 in the front room, and on an Amazon Fire TV that I have in my room already (which I use as a FireTV/Kodi device).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It was already a good deal before, now its ridiculously good. Not really sure how they're making any money charging $39.99 for a semi-beefy package that includes ESPN but good on them. Hope they roll out to Orlando at some point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Doesn't this kill bandwidth caps?

harSon

Banned
One thing they need to do, and the only thing stopping me from recommending to family - is the fact that they need to better mimic a traditional television viewing experience. The guide is a good start, but the ability to simply cycle through channels using the Up/Down channel button - as well as being able to go to a channel by entering its 'channel number' would go a long way towards easing some family members into the transition.

They probably need to beef up the platform's DVR capabilities, add 5.1 support and make the UI a little more streamlined/less crowded - but from the few days that I've used the service, it's by far the closest thing to a traditional cable package I've come across that still has wonderful image quality.

It's exciting to see where increased competition within this field will take us.

This is great that all that's added and a price drop instead of an increase but I hope they start to address some of the big flaws in PlayStation Vue. The channel selection and price point are good, but they need to address the shitty almost unusuable DVR, the unreliable access to shows, the lack of 5.1 audio, and getting NBC/Universal/Comcast to remove their stupid restrictions.

Can anyone tell me if Vue plays live shows/sports in 60fps?

It does if you use it on the PS4 or iPad. It does not if you use the Fire TV or Chromecast. One thing to note is for some reason Comcast Sports Net seems to hiccup more with maintaining 60 fps for some reason. When watching the Super Bowl, it was perfect but whenever I watch hockey, it dips every now and then. I haven't figured out if it's Vue or my connection.

For someone who only gets tv during football season and hates dealing with comcast this is awesome.

Is it in the entire Bay Area? I can't tell from the website.

I'm in San Jose and can get it so I'm assuming it's the entire Bay Area.

Bummer for the DVR 1 month limit, I could have considered cutting the cord.

Wonder when (if?) The service will expand though.

Ya it kinda sucks, but logistically it's kind of hard to do any extended DVR. They're pretty much caching a month's worth of shows for you to pull on demand. That's roughly 1.3 TB a channel in storage. Multiply that by 100, since they advertise over a 100 channels, and you're at 130 TB a month for DVR storage. Multiply that by every month you want to extend that and it becomes huge.

What's great about their DVR though is any show that's shown multiple times a day or throughout the month can all be cached which means you can have a huge instant on demand library of any show in syndication or being run constantly. For some shows that means you can have the entire series or a big chunk of the series on demand.

DavidDesu

Those prices seem great for someone in the UK faced with Sky or Virgin...how does this compete in the states with the alternatives... Would love this in the UK, internet TV is the future.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing they need to do, and the only thing stopping me from recommending to family - is the fact that they need to better mimic a traditional television viewing experience. The guide is a good start, but the ability to simply cycle through channels using the Up/Down channel button - as well as being able to go to a channel by entering its 'channel number' would go a long way towards easing some family members into the transition.

They probably need to beef up the platform's DVR capabilities, add 5.1 support and make the UI a little more streamlined/less crowded - but from the few days that I've used the service, it's by far the closest thing to a traditional cable package I've come across that still has wonderful image quality.

It's exciting to see where increased competition within this field will take us.

My parents didn't seem to mind not having channel numbers with how snappy and clear the UI is. That and its like $60 cheaper a month southerly adjusted fast.

Can a playstation vue subscription be used across ps4s?

Like if i get the sub for my mom but want to use it on my ps4 in a different city(still part of the d/fw area) will it carry over?

Or are subs strictly tied to psn accounts?

Can a playstation vue subscription be used across ps4s?

Like if i get the sub for my mom but want to use it on my ps4 in a different city(still part of the d/fw area) will it carry over?

Or are subs strictly tied to psn accounts?

They tie it to your location so you can't use it in multiple places which prevents the sharing you're trying to do.

harSon

Banned
My parents didn't seem to mind not having channel numbers with how snappy and clear the UI is. That and its like $60 cheaper a month southerly adjusted fast.

I'm just thinking about my mom who is legitimately technology challenged, and I'm assuming there's tons of others that are generally within that same camp.

Damn that channel line up is pretty great. If they added a few Spanish channels (Univision, Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes) I'd seriously consider trying it out.

Thinking a about it, they're literally 3 channels away from me jumping ship to them and cutting cable. Mom needs those telenovelas though lol

Kuno

It does if you use it on the PS4 or iPad. It does not if you use the Fire TV or Chromecast. One thing to note is for some reason Comcast Sports Net seems to hiccup more with maintaining 60 fps for some reason. When watching the Super Bowl, it was perfect but whenever I watch hockey, it dips every now and then. I haven't figured out if it's Vue or my connection.

Ah, cool. Thanks for the info!

I don't want to hear about PS Vue until I can actually use it. I mean what's the hold up? Is it just going to be available in 5 markets forever? I have money I would love to give to Sony, but they don't seem to care. What gives?

Qwark

I thought you could just enter a zip code for a supported city and the service would work for you. Does this not work anymore?

I think the core package has all of the channels I'm interested in now, this is tempting.

I don't want to hear about PS Vue until I can actually use it. I mean what's the hold up? Is it just going to be available in 5 markets forever? I have money I would love to give to Sony, but they don't seem to care. What gives?

I imagine it has to deal with negotiating with the local markets to get local networks and sports. Each one has to be done on its own.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It was already a good deal before, now its ridiculously good. Not really sure how they're making any money charging $39.99 for a semi-beefy package that includes ESPN but good on them. Hope they roll out to Orlando at some point.

I know, I don't know how it's under $40 while still giving me almost every channel I want.

not that I think there's any water to it but way back during the leak and the spiderman deal there was some rumor swirling the disney was trying to buy sony pictures and maybe even sony as a whole.

I know, I don't know how it's under $40 while still giving me almost every channel I want.

I totally expected a price hike when they added ABC/Disney/ESPN, or a new tier, or even channels restricted to the higher tier. I didn't expect a price cut. Now I'm torn about going back to DirecTV. I get less, I get worse quality/experience, but I'm paying less so it's a toss up.

I think I'd switch over to PS Vue if they put it on AppleTV... Who wants to use a PS4/PS3 controller just to watch TV? Would be really ideal if they made a dedicated box, though... Just turn it on (no selecting the app from a menu) and boom there's TV.

Perhaps they could even call the box "PlayStation TV" now that the name isn't needed anymore!

Shouldn't you be able to use your existing TV remote with it? HDMI-CEC is a thing.

jaydogg691

I recently cut the cord and have tried out Vue and Sling TV. The only two things that Sling TV has going for me is price and ESPN. Everything else about it from the interface, apps, and reliability is not all that great compared to Vue.

I got to mess around with Vue for the week trial and really enjoyed what it has to offer. I do like sports so this has a better offering, local channels is a plus, and the DVR is nice. It's interface is more appeal, though it could still use more work.

I could live with Sling TV and just use ESPN, but with the recent price drop and ESPN support, I might go back. I missing Champions League and F1 is coming soon. 😣

I got to mess around with Vue for the week trial and really enjoyed what it has to offer. I do like sports so this has a better offering, local channels is a plus, and the DVR is nice. It's interface is more appeal, though it could still use more work.

What? I don't know how anyone can think this. It's the worse DVR I've ever used.

commish

What? I don't know how anyone can think this. It's the worse DVR I've ever used.

Haha, I know you hate it, but I honestly haven't had much problem with it. It's totally possible that I just haven't had much experience with DVRs, at least not with features that I miss.

Haha, I know you hate it, but I honestly haven't had much problem with it. It's totally possible that I just haven't had much experience with DVRs, at least not with features that I miss.

Have you tried fast forwarding through a commercial? It's like one of the most basic things I do with a DVR and I seriously cannot skip past a commercial with any type of precision. It makes the whole DVR almost unusable to me because skipping commercials is one of the huge perks of having one with live TV. Also not being able to fast forward through on demand is painful too, especially with sports.

megalowho

Tempted to try this out now, even if I don't watch a lot of TV I want to support this kind of model moving forward. Pricing seems on point.

commish

Have you tried fast forwarding through a commercial? It's like one of the most basic things I do with a DVR and I seriously cannot skip past a commercial with any type of precision. It makes the whole DVR almost unusable to me because skipping commercials is one of the huge perks of having one with live TV. Also not being able to fast forward through on demand is painful too, especially with sports.

Yeah, it's definitely not as precise - agree with you there. They should at least allow you to fast forward in 30 second increments. DVR isn't a core feature for me, but I can see how it would be a problem to those who rely on it a lot. My last provider charged a separate fee for DVR so I didn't get it.

Sony has a really viable service here and could potentially be a big deal, especially if they keep reducing the cost.

Anyone know what the hold up is for adding more cities or just launching nationwide? are these initial cities a test, prior to a national launch?

Local channels is one thing. They have to come to agreements with the local affiliates so that they can show things like the local news shows straight off the live feed.

J-Skee

I live in central Jersey and it works without a hitch. Quality is great even on my crappy Internet connecting abs the UI is very sleek and far snapper than any cable companies version that I have ever used.

Nice. I also live in Central NJ. Will definitely give it a shot then.

Whoa, it worked perfectly for the Super Bowl, & at 60 frames? Since it has ABC now, think I'm gonna wait until the NBA Finals to try the free trial, just make sure everything is in working order.

Anyway tried this in NJ since we're basically right next to Philly & NY?
Worked for me last year in South Jersey when they did the initial roll out. I'm considering re subscribing just to be done with the x1 platform. Vue is a breeze to navigate compared to xfinity x1. I know Comcast will pull some shit eventually. I have a data cap that currently isn't being enforced. With vue and 4k streaming I'm sure they'll enforce it

Yeah, it's definitely not as precise - agree with you there. They should at least allow you to fast forward in 30 second increments. DVR isn't a core feature for me, but I can see how it would be a problem to those who rely on it a lot. My last provider charged a separate fee for DVR so I didn't get it.

Even if they didn't let you skip in 30 second increments, they should give you a lot more in the preview frames to be able to judge where to move to, but at the moment they don't give you anything to go by which means you're fast forwarding blind which is terrible. Combine that with the interface being sluggish and not responsive, it makes it a real chore to use. Granted I'm coming from having used a DVR for the last 17 years as part of my daily watching. I used TiVo and DirecTV's DVR and both have been great in interface and usage. So this is a huge huge step down which is kind of a let down given how TiVo got it right almost 20 years ago.

Whoa, it worked perfectly for the Super Bowl, & at 60 frames? Since it has ABC now, think I'm gonna wait until the NBA Finals to try the free trial, just make sure everything is in working order.

Yep, it was flawless during the Super Bowl which I was shocked at honestly. I wasn't even sure if I was going to get the Super Bowl given the debacle over the Golden Globes not being allowed to air on PlayStation Vue without any notice. I'm also surprised how the Oscars just happened and Sony didn't get us ABC until just a few days after it happened.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't recall seeing the option to select channels individually. $40 is still kind of a lot for someone who doesn't want ESPN when that's probably what is keeping prices so high.

There's four a la carte channels right now: Fox Soccer Plus, Machinima, Showtime, and Epix (which is only available in combination with Showtime). For 99% of people, that's a laughable selection. Better than nothing? Sure. But it has a long way to go toward being truly create-your-own TV. I'm just critiquing your response, not the overall service. The $40 plan is fantastic for most, myself included.

Fair enough I was just going off of when it was announced during E3. They stated that A la carte offerings were something that they would offer and expand throughout the life of the platform. I assumed this was already in okay but it seems that the initial offering is pretty anemic but it's certainly in their game plan for the service so to come in a thread about the service and shit on it for something it has, even if it's current application is limited, and plans to expand upon still seems ridiculous to me.

J-Skee

Yep, it was flawless during the Super Bowl which I was shocked at honestly. I wasn't even sure if I was going to get the Super Bowl given the debacle over the Golden Globes not being allowed to air on PlayStation Vue without any notice. I'm also surprised how the Oscars just happened and Sony didn't get us ABC until just a few days after it happened.

Well, that doesn't bode well for awards shows. Did you have any issues with the Emmys?

Top Bottom