• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

itPORWtzy9qjB.jpg

Disney Infinity is an upcoming platformer video game in development by Avalanche Software to be released by Disney Interactive Studios on August 18th 2013 for an MSRP of $74.99.

It will be available early at DisneyLand and DisneyWorld, this Friday, August 16th. Additionally it will be on sale at Nintendo World in NYC this Saturday, August 17th.

ibeXJSYYTDYTeu.jpg

Starter Pack includes:
Video Game
INFINITY Base
3 INFINITY Figures: Mr. Incredible, Jack Sparrow, and Sulley
3 INFINITY Play Sets: Monsters University, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Incredibles.
Your first INFINITY Power Disc
Unique web codes to unlock content online and on your mobile device.

Disney Infinity features 2 modes of play:

Playset Story

6-8 hour adventures set in the worlds of several playsets. Playsets feature characters from that specific franchise. You cannot "cross franchises" in playset mode. They are isolated to the characters of each respective world. The story mode has specific challenges and missions for each character, meaning there may be instances where you would need to buy additional characters to experience all of the content of that world.

Toy Box Mode

Toy Box mode, the meat of the game, is effectively a create your own game mode, similar to Little Big Planet or the Toy Box mode from Toy Story 3, which was the inspiration of Infinity. Create mini games with props and elements from all of the featured Disney worlds. This mode is 4 player co-operative and the shared levels are playable across all platforms.

PR: In the DISNEY INFINITY Toy Box, you can make your own worlds, create games with your own rules, or build places that only exist in your imagination. When you're done, you can knock it all down and start again. As players advance through each adventure, they will collect characters, vehicles, upgrades, gadgets and more which they can save to the virtual Toy Box. At any time, players can access their personal Toy Box and use the items to create one-of-a-kind Disney adventures featuring any combination of characters, environments and items across all franchises. The possibilities are endless and players are only limited by their imaginations.

Additional Playsets

The Lone Ranger

Features The Lone Ranger and Tonto along with a 6-8 hour adventure set in the world of the film.

iblytsBR0H7Hp9.jpg

Cars

Features Lightning and Holly along with a 6-8 hour adventure.

iSKGdh83LsKOh.jpg

Additional Characters:

Two different 3 packs will be available at launch, for $29.99, a savings 9 dollars if you were to buy the figures separately for $12.99 each.

In addition to the packs, Dash and Violet from the Incredibles and Mater and Francesco from Cars are available as single characters.

Sidekicks Pack

Featuring Hector Barbosa, Mrs Incredible, and Mike Wazowski

idkVvz6Ik16bU.jpg

Villains Pack

Featuring Davy Jones, Randall, and Syndrome

ibgq3MovnFTWaQ.jpg

Power Discs

Power Discs are essentially game modifiers, there are 20 available in series 1. They feature such modifiers as, extra XP, extra HP, graphics modifiers (Nemo skyscape, Rapunzle Lantern skyscape) and mounts. You can stack up to two Power Discs underneath a character at a time. They retail for $5.99 for a completely RANDOM 2 pack. 10 more discs are exclusive to Toys 'R Us, packages will be marked accordingly.

Bolt's Super Strength
Fix-It Felix's Repair Power
C.H.R.O.M.E. Damage Control
Pieces of Eight
Mickey's Car
Cinderella's Coach
Khan the Horse
Stitch's Lasergun
Carl Fredricksen's Cane
Sugar Rush (texture set)
Sugar Rush (skydome)
Alice in Wonderland (texture set)
Alice in Wonderland (skydome)
Finding Nemo (texture set)
Finding Nemo (skydome)
Tangled Lantern (texture set)
Tangled Lantern (skydome)
Dumbo (ride) (rare)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster (rare)
Abu (as an elephant) (rare)

TRU exclusive discs

Stitch's Surfboard
Mike's New Car
Jolly Roger
TRON (texture set)
TRON (skydome)
Scrooge McDuck's Lucky Dime
Merlin's Summon
Emperor Zurg's Wrath
TRON: Uprising User Control
C.H.R.O.M.E. Damage Increaser

iSQWcpZVDimwP.jpg

Future Playsets and Characters

igR8NQD1hh5wA.jpg

Future Playsets: Phineas and Ferb, Wreck It Ralph, Toy Story in space, and Nightmare Before Christmas. It is said they will not start releasing these sets until October 2013

Phone and Tablet Apps

The iPad will have the full toybox experience at no additional cost, you will be able to edit and save you levels from an iPad.

The iPhone app is an alternate reality video creation application.

Platforms

PS3, 360, WiiU, Wii, 3DS

It should be noted that the Wii version is allegedly not going to receive updates. The 3DS version has been described by the developers as "kind of like Mario Party" While it does have an NFC base the gameplay is not identical to the console versions.

Wii U does feature off TV play, it does not support pro controller support - via Infinity Facebook

Deals

Gamestop has a pretty nice preorder package that includes a bonus character of your choice and a power disc 2 pack

Target is going to have the Lone Ranger and Cars playsets for 50% off (17.49) starting Sunday the 18th.

GAF Trading

A spreadsheet can be seen when this post is quoted, post your GAF username and your trades there.

Plissken

That sound you hear is the weeping of parent's wallets all over the world. I don't think it's a matter of IF it sells more than Skylanders, but WHEN.

It's coming! Hopefully it's as fun as it looks.

There's a couple deals for launch week in the US in case anyone's interested. Starting Sunday, Target will have both the Lone Ranger and the Cars Play sets for half off ($17.49 each).

Also Toys R Us is doing a Buy One Get One 50% off on all Disney Infinity items starting Sunday. Also at TrU, buy one power disc pack get another for a dollar.

Edit: We also know that the Toy Story Playset is set to release in October. It includes Buzz and Jessie. I believe Woody also releases then separately.

Mickey releases in January 2014.

I really hope this game sells well. There's a lot of potential with the framework they've created.

I don't know if its the impending next gen or what, but I really like the idea of physical products tying me to DLC right now. That way when it comes to PS4 I'll have my playsets and characters still.

Various Gamestops are having launch events on Sunday morning, but the thing I'm hype for is Saturday's pre-launch event at Nintendo World, and the big Times Square thing on Sunday.

Going to both because WHAT ELSE AM I GONNA DO THIS WEEKEND?! Getting really excited now...

gotee12

I don't know if its the impending next gen or what, but I really like the idea of physical products tying me to DLC right now. That way when it comes to PS4 I'll have my playsets and characters still.
Oh I agree. They've definitely created a product that can grow some mighty long legs. My concern is whether the market will support another skylanders-style game.

Lunzio

Does anybody know anything about the PC version? It was supposedly announced it a while ago and never touched again.

Okay. Somebody call me (or PM me) when they release an Oswald figure or even an old-school Black & White Mickey & Friends set.

RkOwnage

Any info on the WiiU version getting updates and what not? I am torn between PS3 and WiiU, leaning towards WiiU because I enjoy MiiVerse.

What's everyone else thinking? If people go the WiiU route, I may take this opportunity to expand my WiiU friends list with some fellow gaffers...

weevles

Oddly enough, my son wasn't interested in this, so I guess I am passing. Skylander Swapforce on the other hand...

Nice OT.

I plan on getting this game if it ever goes less Pixar Infinity and more Disney Infinity.

Talking Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Wonder if it'll ever even happen =/

Any info on the WiiU version getting updates and what not? I am torn between PS3 and WiiU, leaning towards WiiU because I enjoy MiiVerse.

What's everyone else thinking? If people go the WiiU route, I may take this opportunity to expand my WiiU friends list with some fellow gaffers...

Embargo should be up soon, will update OP with reviews and information specific to platforms as it comes in.

JFunky

Can't wait for this game!!! Was going to grab it on the wii u so my kids and I would both have our own screen. But no one seems to be able to confirm if that feature is in the game or not. They already play skylanders on ps3 so I'll probably just get that version.

Can't wait for this game!!! Was going to grab it on the wii u so my kids and I would both have our own screen. But no one seems to be able to confirm if that feature is in the game or not. They already play skylanders on ps3 so I'll probably just get that version.

It does indeed have off TV play, but it doesn't have pro controller support.

gotee12

Nice OT.

I plan on getting this game if it ever goes less Pixar Infinity and more Disney Infinity.

Talking Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Wonder if it'll ever even happen =/
Yes, it's bound to happen. My opinion is that they're launching with properties that are more easily recognizable to the younger generation first, while at the same time pushing properties out of the door that won't be the "big movers" like Mickey, Donald, etc. Of course we do know that sorcerers apprentice Mickey it's coming early 2014.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The Wii version cannot upload and download levels in the Toy Box.

John Day, producer on the game told me so in an interview. Which I'll have up shortly. But yeah.

RkOwnage

No pro controller sucks. Would you happen to know if the gamepad allows the split screen to be played like call of duty did? One player on the tv the other on the pad.

Wondering if Pro Controller support can be patched in though. It seems the no update thing is for the Wii and not the WiiU, so, is it possible to patch in Pro Controller support? Right now it's just me playing the game, until my daughter gets old enough to play (not for a while), so I was hoping to use a Pro Controller. Oh well, if it can't, I may go with PS3 after all...I do love trophies.

Yes, it's bound to happen. My opinion is that they're launching with properties that are more easily recognizable to the younger generation first, while at the same time pushing properties out of the door that won't be the "big movers" like Mickey, Donald, etc. Of course we do know that sorcerers apprentice Mickey it's coming early 2014.

I hope so. Good news on that SA Mickey as well. I did notice there's two Rapunzel stages which is a plus, even if that's not golden Disney, but it's a nice start.

Ahhhhh PS3 or Wii U. I really still can't decide. I want the Wii U for MiiVerse, Gamepad play, and the always possibility of Nintendo characters / items sneaking in someday. But I'm afraid of the support it will get.

PS3 really has no benefits at the moment but if it's all upgradeable to the possibility of a PS4 version I feel like I'm guaranteed updates over there.

SegaShack

Game looks like it has a lot of potential but I am going to hold off until I see more gameplay and there are characters that I like in it.

The main focus for now seems to be on Pirates, The Incredibles, and Monster's Inc. The starter pack, sidekick pack, and villain back all follow this. I would love to see a playable Scrooge McDuck as a promotion for Ducktales Remastered.

It seems like for now they are playing it safe with more current series (Disney does love cross-promotion). However, I would love to have a game that has tons of classic Disney characters. Something like Pinocchio, Aladdin, Simba, Dumbo, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Snow White, etc. I'm baffled that Mickey doesn't come with the game from the start, having a Disney game that has a Mickey toy with it would seem like an easier sale than a 2004 Pixar film character. Cars, Pirates, and Monsters Inc all have Disney rides and newer films. The Incredibles is an odd choice.

If Skylanders can have a game and sell original characters and make tons of money, Disney is bound to make a killing as well.

Finally decided to pre-order the PS3 version for my daughter today. Bummed that there probably won't be a next-gen release but from what I've read and if they stick to their word it sounds like the base will work across systems and that they made the base with a multi year road-map in mind.

Does the WiiU version use the NFC base, or does it use the gamepad's NFC instead?

The base. It can't use the gamepads NFC, everything on the base is "live" in that when something is replaced it happens on screen simultaneously. The figures and discs would have to sit on the gamepad the whole time you were playing and obviously that's not exactly possible.

If they ever have a Disneyland set with different ride vehicles I would be interested. At the moment it looks really expensive and I'm not sure what it plays like.

Granted, I sat out on the the whole Skylanders phenomenon though so I'm not really sure what to expect out of this with respect to the similarities between them.

Outside of the obvious toy=DLC thing

RIP Skylanders, I purposefully withheld buying you for my son while waiting for Disney Infinity :)

Can't wait to start playing this with the little guy.

Retailers will also have exclusive crystal variants of characters.
They'll show up as Crystal in the game, too, and level up quicker.

If they ever have a Disneyland set with different ride vehicles I would be interested. At the moment it looks really expensive and I'm not sure what it plays like.

Granted, I sat out on the the whole Skylanders phenomenon though so I'm not really sure what to expect out of this with respect to the similarities between them.

Outside of the obvious toy=DLC thing

There's PLENTY of parks vehicles in the game already. The first public downloadable toy box will be their recreation of Disneyland.

Game looks like it has a lot of potential but I am going to hold off until I see more gameplay and there are characters that I like in it.

I can't decide if I want to hold off or not. It all looks great but as it is, I'd rather classic Disney stuff as well. Even if I don't buy the game, I might buy a few of the figures in-case they become hard to find. Don't know if that happened with Skylanders or even could happen with Disney but I'd rather buy now then not get what I want later.

Having played Toy Story 3, i've been sold on this idea since the announcement. I have a starter kit pre-ordered for the 360, but i'm considering changing tomorrow if i here reviews or opinions here that say i should do otherwise.

Also, if i want the TRU exclusive pack, should i try to go one early, on the assumption re-sellers are going to go and be assholes?

robot

Really cool concept but I'm gonna watch this one from the sidelines. Has potential to completely obliterate my wallet. Wonder if it'll last long enough to get Marvel & Star Wars into the mix.

Gusto

I just hope there aren't any variants. I also wonder if during Xmas they're going to release Mickeys Christmas Carol.

Still not clear on toybox sharing. Is it just sharing between people on your friends list? I assume it doesn't have a full-on "browser" like LBP which kind of kills the idea for me.

Top Bottom