• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

SHarris78

Help a middle aged gamer out!!

Just been watching footage of this and i'm very tempted. Surely this game is just for kids yes?

I mean, i do have a daughter who would like the game, but i feel i'm getting hyped myself now!! Whats wrong with me?!

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member
That's not how it works... Every play set has 6-10 hours of content. You're getting 30 hours from the starter pack for just the original story. Then unlimited hours in the toy box and alternative missions.

Yeah, but it's still fractioning the game for me because I have to own all the playsets to have all the content. Besides, Toy Box mode would include all of the crossover stuff, right? If I don't have all of the figures I can't access a lot of the different items and at the very least all the different characters.

I just don't like having/paying for "incomplete" games.

If the game is anything like Skylanders then prices are likely to go up than down over time.

That I didn't know, and that's a shame. Guess I may never pick it up then.

eastmen

Banned

Just been watching footage of this and i'm very tempted. Surely this game is just for kids yes?

I mean, i do have a daughter who would like the game, but i feel i'm getting hyped myself now!! Whats wrong with me?!
My gf and I already have everything preordered. Dropping almost 300 on this. We have no kids.

gotee12

I tell folks I'm buying it for my son...

...he just turned 10 weeks old.

Spiderduff

Would Best Buy price match the sets from target? I have it pre-ordered there and might as well pick up the sets. Ill head to toys r us early to pick up the exclusive stuff and 50% discs.

Nervous about reviews now

This is going to kill my wallet even stuff like the power discs being blind boxes adds to it all, I know how much I've spend on vinylmations in the past and that worries me

2 questions

Is the included power disc the same for all or a random one

Are there objectives in toy box mode like there was in TS3? That toy box mode was amongst the most fun I had this generation

Shancake

Yeah, but it's still fractioning the game for me because I have to own all the playsets to have all the content. Besides, Toy Box mode would include all of the crossover stuff, right? If I don't have all of the figures I can't access a lot of the different items and at the very least all the different characters.

I just don't like having/paying for "incomplete" games.

That I didn't know, and that's a shame. Guess I may never pick it up then.

That makes no sense though... It's not an incomplete game. They're adding to it as they go....

gotee12

Would Best Buy price match the sets from target? I have it pre-ordered there and might as well pick up the sets. Ill head to toys r us early to pick up the exclusive stuff and 50% discs.
50% discs?

Edit: thanx spiderduff, completely missed that

Shancakes, do you know when review embargo us up?

Ahhhhh PS3 or Wii U. I really still can't decide. I want the Wii U for MiiVerse, Gamepad play, and the always possibility of Nintendo characters / items sneaking in someday. But I'm afraid of the support it will get.

PS3 really has no benefits at the moment but if it's all upgradeable to the possibility of a PS4 version I feel like I'm guaranteed updates over there.

Support-wise, the good thing is that the worlds and everything created in Toy Box mode is cross-platform. So when the DI team curates the best of the best and posts it all, everyone on every platform has access to it.

Pachimari

When is the review embargo up?

And there's online multiplayer right? There probably won't be a lot of players on Wii U and I'm thinking of getting it for Wii U.

Spiderduff

50% discs?

The Power Discs. Posted on the 1st page:
It's coming! Hopefully it's as fun as it looks.

There's a couple deals for launch week in the US in case anyone's interested. Starting Sunday, Target will have both the Lone Ranger and the Cars Play sets for half off ($17.49 each).

Also Toys R Us is doing a Buy One Get One 50% off on all Disney Infinity items starting Sunday. Also at TrU, buy one power disc pack get another for a dollar.

Edit: We also know that the Toy Story Playset is set to release in October. It includes Buzz and Jessie. I believe Woody also releases then separately.

Mickey releases in January 2014.

Yaari

Is the included power disc the same for all or a random one

Are there objectives in toy box mode like there was in TS3? That toy box mode was amongst the most fun I had this generation

The Power Disc is random. I don't know about objectives. I hope so.

When is the review embargo up?

And there's online multiplayer right? There probably won't be a lot of players on Wii U and I'm thinking of getting it for Wii U.

Yes there is online multiplayer, but note; you can only play with your friends. Wii U being rather limited in terms of players, I am not too sure about that. I so wish there was a lobby system. That being said, I am getting this for Wii U also. With the next-gen in reach, I don't even want 360/PS3 games anymore (Except for GTA5!). And the gamepad is a great addition to the Toy Box.

Yes there is online multiplayer, but note; you can only play with your friends. Wii U being rather limited in terms of players, I am not too sure about that. I so wish there was a lobby system. That being said, I am getting this for Wii U also. With the next-gen in reach, I don't even want 360/PS3 games anymore (Except for GTA5!). And the gamepad is a great addition to the Toy Box.

John Vignocchi has said that there are gameplay features unique to the Wii U gamepad as well. I don't if it's stats, an HUD, map, or what, but they are taking advantage of the Wii U's gamepad and trying to incorporate it well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got everything for Wii U preordered! Wife is stoked! But I wish Mickey was going to be available at launch. Nonetheless, I am crazy excited for Wreck It Wralph.

The one thing I'm not excited about is the power discs. We may have to start a trade ring here to complete sets. ;) I've got 2 packs coming, but I intend to buy 3-4 more at release.

eastmen

Banned
Yeah I saw that. Makes things even harder, because if I'm wrong and it doesn't actually get cheaper relatively soon, I missed out on the extra stuff for no reason either. :|

Dammit Disney.
Its not going to really get cheaper. The skylanders hold their prices very well. This will be the same and I bet Disney will phase out some characters as they release new ones.

They've spent over 3 years making this. It's been delayed many times.

It's why the play sets include Monsters University and Lone Ranger. They were supposed to have the game AND release those sets WITH the movie AFTER release to promote them.

They also have a pc version coming out. I bet it will have better textures and I bet they will have a ps4/one version hit next year.

All the game pieces carry over from system to system. So you'd just have to buy a new starter pack for the new system.

Moobabe

They also have a pc version coming out. I bet it will have better textures and I bet they will have a ps4/one version hit next year.

All the game pieces carry over from system to system. So you'd just have to buy a new starter pack for the new system.

Unless they release a standalone booster pack with disc + one character like for Skylanders.

Spiderduff

Got everything for Wii U preordered! Wife is stoked! But I wish Mickey was going to be available at launch. Nonetheless, I am crazy excited for Wreck It Wralph.

The one thing I'm not excited about is the power discs. We may have to start a trade ring here to complete sets. ;) I've got 2 packs coming, but I intend to buy 3-4 more at release.

Mickey is awesome! I got 4 for D23. I sold 3 of them on eBay. He is so awesome he paid for most of my Disney infinity stuff!

Yaari

I wish my country atleast had some proper deals. I am reading about a Buy One Get 50% Off, and we don't have any of that. It will get really expensive without any offer like that.

I hope they have something special for the end of the year. Would be cool to get a Christmas themed character. Not sure how that would work though.

Any info on the WiiU version getting updates and what not? I am torn between PS3 and WiiU, leaning towards WiiU because I enjoy MiiVerse.

What's everyone else thinking? If people go the WiiU route, I may take this opportunity to expand my WiiU friends list with some fellow gaffers...

Why wouldn't it get updates? I'm sure they'll want this to be as big as possible on Nintendo platforms. The fact that the Miiverse Community was opened a month in advance is pretty telling.

Spiderduff

Any info on the WiiU version getting updates and what not? I am torn between PS3 and WiiU, leaning towards WiiU because I enjoy MiiVerse.

What's everyone else thinking? If people go the WiiU route, I may take this opportunity to expand my WiiU friends list with some fellow gaffers...

They had a bunch of Demos at D23 of the Wii U version. I don't see why not.

eastmen

Banned
Unless they release a standalone booster pack with disc + one character like for Skylanders.

true but if they do it around the release of a new toy set it should be simple to charge a bit more + add in the full game with the toy box and price it higher.

Who knows though.

With toys r us buy one get one 50% off there wont be a better time to jump in for awhile.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I won't have to worry about this game until the Rapunzel and Jessie figures are available. My daughter likes the Pixar films, but she doesn't really love them ('cept Merida). She's never seen Pirates and nobody's seen the Lone Ranger.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mickey is awesome! I got 4 for D23. I sold 3 of them on eBay. He is so awesome he paid for most of my Disney infinity stuff!

I showed my wife his figure and she freaked out, haha. An she is itching to go to D23 next year or so. Seems like a cool time!

Yaari

Apparently those Crystal characters are all exclusive to Toys' R Us? For collective purpose, that kind of sucks. They will probably never get released overseas, and paying 50$ extra for shipping and customs on each character is ridiculous.

Shancake

50% discs?

Edit: thanx spiderduff, completely missed that

I don't - I'm in Australia and we get review copies quite late here due to having to ship them. That's why I got to spend an hour with the game on Friday. I've heard rumours that it's today though.

I wonder why they're holding off so late? Maybe because a bunch of other reviews have gone up in the last few days / GTA previews will take up today?

eXistor

iSQWcpZVDimwP.jpg

Subliminal Planes marketing in the tab there?

If I had to guess, I'd say the TRU-exclusive discs are a timed exclusive and that those discs will be released in waves 2 and 3. Either that, or they are lenticular versions of discs that will be released in waves 2 and 3.

Amneisac

Suppose I know 100% I will never be interested in building things in ToyBox mode. Is this still worth it or should we just stick to Skylanders? I have literally zero interest in building my own levels.

Suppose I know 100% I will never be interested in building things in ToyBox mode. Is this still worth it or should we just stick to Skylanders? I have literally zero interest in building my own levels.

Each character comes with a unique adventure with a length of 6-10 hours. So there is plenty of content to just consume

Dragoshi1

I have the Wii U version preordered at target, and I plan to pick up the playsets there as well with that sweet 50% off deal.

My free figure will be Randall, as I have zero interest in Davey Jones or Syndrome to get the villain 3 pack.

After watching some of their youtube video tutorials about various things, I cannot WAIT to have a swing at the Toybox.

eXistor

You can download levels made by others, so there's that.

The more I read about this the more I...want it. I do have a good excuse, I can play it with my 5 year-old niece and 7 year-old nephew. Definitely getting it on WiiU if I end up getting it at all.

Yaari

I am not interested in building either, but the best creations will be shared cross-platform. So I am sure there will be plenty of fun maps to download.

From racing tracks, to platform based.

Amneisac

Okay, I guess I don't really need much convincing so it sounds pretty cool. Has anyone seen anything concrete on which versions are going to be perform the best? I have 360, PS3 and WiiU. I really didn't like playing Skylanders on Wii U as much as I did on 360 - mostly just for controller stuff.

Wii U not supporting the game pad pro is basically a dealbreaker.

Amneisac

Does anyone have any idea how the co-op works? Is it split-screen or more like Skylanders with a shared screen? I'm having a hard time finding video of local co-op on a 'story mode' thing.

Xis

The wife and I played both Skylanders games, an have purchased tons of figures. Not being able to play whichever Disney figures you own in whatever adventure you want totally kills this for us. User generated stuff has zero appeal.

Amneisac

The wife and I played both Skylanders games, an have purchased tons of figures. Not being able to play whichever Disney figures you own in whatever adventure you want totally kills this for us. User generated stuff has zero appeal.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. I feel like there hasn't been much specific information revealed about D:I yet. We really enjoy Skylanders and the replay-ability with completing levels for time and all the other objectives and trying to get three stars on everything. I also agree that Disney's antiquated mindset with preventing you from bringing characters into different playsets is a really big mistake.

I guess I'll just have to wait for reviews. In the long run missing out on whatever little pre-order bonus is probably not a big deal if it saves me buying a game that won't be as much fun as Skylanders.

Spiderduff

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. I feel like there hasn't been much specific information revealed about D:I yet. We really enjoy Skylanders and the replay-ability with completing levels for time and all the other objectives and trying to get three stars on everything. I also agree that Disney's antiquated mindset with preventing you from bringing characters into different playsets is a really big mistake.

I guess I'll just have to wait for reviews. In the long run missing out on whatever little pre-order bonus is probably not a big deal if it saves me buying a game that won't be as much fun as Skylanders.

After I watched the presentation at D23 for Disney Infinity i got extremely hyped. It makes sense why you can't put others in the playsets they are designated too as this is their story to tell in a way. Toy Box mode is all out fun from what I've seen. So much to do and you can work together with friends. Looks like a blast.

Amneisac

After I watched the presentation at D23 for Disney Infinity i got extremely hyped. It makes sense why you can't put others in the playsets they are designated too as this is their story to tell in a way. Toy Box mode is all out fun from what I've seen. So much to do and you can work together with friends. Looks like a blast.

Yeah, I just watched this trailer:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/even-disney-infinity-can-recreate-1-1/2300-7724/

And now I'm excited for what other people can make. Well, it's the day after my birthday... and we are taking a trip to DisneyWorld this fall, so I really HAVE to get it, right?

ElNino

I got my notice from Best Buy this morning that my Wii U pre-order has shipped and I should get it sometime today. Too bad my son is at his grandmothers until Saturday so I probably won't play it until then at the earliest.

Hearing that there is no Pro Gamepad support on the Wii U is a bit of a bummer as my son prefers that over the gamepad due to the size of it. Hopefully it's something they can patch in considering they should be able to map the 360 controls over, as long as the gamepad specific stuff isn't necessary.

Yaari

So I take it Sorcerer Mickey was exclusive to that show or will he be released in Series 2?

NM We'll see him in 2014.

Yeah, he has slightly different colors than the one being released in 2014, but that is a small price to pay, considering the D23 one goes for 75$ on eBay.

Toy Box looks fun but I do wonder if objectives can be set. Pointlessly roaming around will only be fun for so long, I'd imagine.

TimeKillr

Just popping in here to say the iPhone version was developed by the studio I work at. If you wanna support a fellow gaffer, just grab it! (disclaimer: I didn't work on it!)

Top Bottom