• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

XShagrath

True but not use that for the tools you need to play the main game mode.
I guess you're right there. I haven't messed around in Toybox mode for more than a few minutes, because I don't see myself spending a lot of time building levels.

Speaking of which, did they ever release the PC tool to make Toybox levels? I might be assed to try that out.

Rootbeer

Banned
Saw the Toy Story set at GS today. I was tempted, but I think I've invested enough into this game... I'll buy it, but not at full price. Hoping amazon does another $20 deal on this like they did with the other playsets.

eggwolio

Have to update you guys on my Jack Skellington C.E story. So, I had it pre-ordered and, long story, short, a second batch just arrived today prompting Gamestop to call me to pick it up.

So I get there. IT was handed to me. Right side of the cardboard curled back. I ask for another and that I would prefer one that is "mint". Manager looks at it, says, "Item looks mint".

I show him the cardboard. He said item is all that matters. I respond "Not if you're collectin..." before realizing I'm arguing with a guy who is telling me what I should expect in return for my hard earned money. I think he sees me about to blow my lid and offers "I can give you this one." and hands me a perfectly packaged item.

In the next two seconds, I'm debating whether to embarrass this guy in front of everyone or begin a heated argument or just walk out while I can. I choose the former.

MY own damn fault for expecting better service. I have no words. Between two equal items, his lesson was that I should opt for a bent cardboard box with item I paid hard earned money for. Surreal.

I'm glad that you got your figure, but sorry you had to deal with that guy. There are managers in the company who are good people and do their jobs well, but unfortunately there's a lot like this guy as well. I wish the good ones were rewarded and the bad ones punished, but the truth is that they all get treated the same by their employer, no matter how they approach things.

FYC

Banned
That's one of the only things I like about the game. Looooooooove me some collectibles!

I don't mind certain props, enemies, villagers, etc. that are exclusive to playsets, but everything in the vault should be unlocked from the beginning. Alternatively, make a large campaign that lets you pick up items along the way, similar to LittleBigPlanet.

Just get rid of the vault, please.

XShagrath

Went to TRU yesterday and they had just gotten in Crystal Sully yesterday, so I snagged him. Have I missed any other exclusives in the past month or so? I know about Woody and Jack, but they were just timed exclusives and I'll wait for a better deal on them.

Katzii

Picked up Woody today. They had about 30 of him, but only about four had decent paint apps. Most of them had missing paint under his lifted boot, goofy-looking eyes, and random splotches of paint on his jeans and shirt.

One of them didn't even have eyes!

I thought Disney would be better with quality control. Makes me a bit leery to get Jack Skellington
and Ralph and Vanellope and oh man these figures are cool!

I noticed this when I looked at figures in the stores; for figures that cost more than Skylander figures (and don't have as high an amount of detail on them), some of the paintwork leaves a lot to be desired. I know that Skylander toys aren't always brilliant with paintwork, but at least there is some degree of detail to them.

I'm really glad I held off buying this game, so I'll stand on the sidelines seeing where this thing goes.

Likewise. I asked on the previous page about what would make this game appeal to me, and nobody bothered to answer, so I assume that there is no appeal with this game. Given that all the people who I knew who bought it have gone pretty quiet on it, and Skylanders is being pushed to the front again, I'm assuming, after the initial hype, it's not been a huge success.

Might pick up some of the toys on the cheap (if I find halfway decent-looking ones) just for collecting purposes.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I went on a serious hunt for a Toy Story in Space pack with good paint apps.

Of the 30 packs at TRU, 12 packs at Best Buy, and 8 packs at 2 different Targets, only one had a decent Jessie and Buzz.
Some of the common problems I found:

Jessie
  • Paint splotches everywhere
  • Very thin layer of white paint on the hat stripe (red from hat showing through)
  • Cross-eyed
  • Missing paint on jeans, boots, shirt
  • Scratches on face, base
Buzz
  • Paint splotches everywhere
  • Missing purple paint on head
  • Cross-eyed (even some no-eyes!)
  • Scratches on chin, back
  • Missing chin swirl, unpainted base
Not good. The other Playsets at least had decent paint jobs. This is just embarrassing.

If this keeps up I may call it at Ralph.

Chaeotic

Neo Member
Picked this up on release for the misses and myself, decided to splurge and bought all figures available then.

Went through the 5 available playsets, would definitely call Monsters the weakest of the bunch. It may have something to do with it being the last we did, but it seems to lack the creativity and fun the others did, especially Pirates.

One question though, I run a launch 60gb PS3, and does anyone else have trouble playing co-op toybox? Runs horribly for me, though the sets work
fine. Just me?

Barsinister

Banned
Wasn't there a cartoon with all of the Disney characters interacting? Like set in a nightclub or restaurant? There needs to be a campaign in the next game where all of the characters interact.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there a cartoon with all of the Disney characters interacting? Like set in a nightclub or restaurant? There needs to be a campaign in the next game where all of the characters interact.

I'd be down for Disney's House of Mouse levels of interactivity, but Disney's extremely protective these days.
Sure, they parodied themselves with the Lilo & Stitch trailers, but new Disney won't even let a concept like Epic Mickey flourish without watering it down.

Chucker

Looks like I'm unlocking the Dragon's Den.

bFBcZt2l.jpg

eggwolio

360. It wasn't very exciting, but for a free add on from a park admission I can't complain.
Awesome. Any interest in unlocking it for a fellow GAFfer sometime? My gamertag is the same as my name here, eggwolio.
my Wii U version just took an update, anyone know what it fixed?
Added pro controller support, added the tron Frisbee thingy to the vault, fixed the regenerating spin so you can't use the teleport trick for unlimited spins anymore. I think that's about it. Or at least those are the noticeable changes.

JMizzlin

So now that the hype has gone down, what's the general consensus on this game? Worth the money?

I was pretty hyped for the game, reading such interviews stating that the game can work as a platform and expand to tie in a franchise. Then I found out everything was on-disc (which I probably should have expected but I was hopeful they were speaking the truth). So after this small run of characters is done out comes the new one and we start again.

Outside of repetitive/boring in-game objectives, having everything in the Toy Box locked behind progression and little to no variety or long-term goals, I'd say the game isn't worth it. With the abundance of menial tasks for kids to lap up, there isn't enough in it for adults. I was super bored after a night of playing the starter pack stories (with the jarring villains pack for co-op) and have only gone back to it once or twice to subject myself to even more boredom.

Also no Frozone should have meant no sale.

fernoca

Wii U update not only added Tron Identity Disc to the Toy Vault, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote + Classic Controller (& Pro) support; but also added:

MdRofwA.jpg

...screenshot function!! (Miiverse, Image Share, etc.)

Good to see they heard and answered basically the main complaints people had about the Wii U version

EDIT: Going to post a thread about this at the gaming side, to let others know.

EDIT 2: Thread posted.

Wow, I pretty much gave up on the controller support and didn't think the Miiverse screenshots was ever a thought they had. That just made up for the bad taste I've had over this game! Can't wait to try some co-op now that the second player can actually play.

I recently started playing the game itself and would love to try out Multiplayer mode. Apparently you can only play online with others on your friends list. So, is anyone playing this on PS3? If so, feel free to add my name on there

PSN - leechaolan

Looks like I'm unlocking the Dragon's Den.

bFBcZt2l.jpg

Those are awesome! Doubt I'm going to Disney World anytime soon :( Don't suppose you'd ever want to sell one of the 3? xD

gatisimo

I blew a load of cash at launch on all the figures bar Violet.

It's been such a disappointment.

Same here. Kids don't even give a shit anymore. Any word on the PC version, if that's still happening? I think the improved resolution and framerate would do wonders (currently have the WiiU version).

Same here. Kids don't even give a shit anymore. Any word on the PC version, if that's still happening? I think the improved resolution and framerate would do wonders (currently have the WiiU version).

Wouldn't the PC version just be a toolbox tool like the iOS version? I do not remember they saying that the PC version is the full game, I think it is not.

Getting dust here too, Skylanders is stil the king for my kid.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The game just needs a bit more difficulty...I enjoyed running around the areas, but they're all SO easy. I mean, we don't have kids yet, but I imagine they would find some if it insultingly easy.

Tiny415

Neo Member
Happened to log into my DI account today, so that I could redeem my Race to Space card, and I noticed the PC version was free to download. It is a build only version, but it has the intro from the console and in the character switching screen, now referred to as the virtual base, it has two spots 1 circle and 1 hexagon space. Maybe that could mean virtual usage for the playsets.

It integrates with the DI account, and I was able to access all of my redeemed figures. It supports both keyboard & mouse and controller. When using the controller, there were a couple of functions I needed to use the keyboard, but that could be resolved by remapping. The interface did not change though when using a controller, all of the button instructions referenced the keyboard commands, but hopefully that will be resolved in an update.

I was able to run it on my work laptop, which is 4 years old, and running an Nvidia Quadro 3700M and it played well. I suggest giving it a try.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So my girlfriend bought the sorcerer Mickey collectible.

And I was wondering, isn't there a world with a story that comes with a new character. Just like you had with the starter pack (Sully (Monsters World), Jack Sparrow (Pirates world), Mr Incredible (The Incredibles world))

But can it be that I am missing such a world with sorcerer Mickey?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So my girlfriend bought the sorcerer Mickey collectible.

And I was wondering, isn't there a world with a story that comes with a new character. Just like you had with the starter pack (Sully (Monsters World), Jack Sparrow (Pirates world), Mr Incredible (The Incredibles world))

But can it be that I am missing such a world with sorcerer Mickey?

There's only six "worlds", and three of them come in the starter pack. Cars, The Lone Ranger, and Toy Story in Space are only available in their respective packs.

Disney thought it would be a grand idea to only allow characters from that world to play in there--no Cars in Monsters University, no Woody in The Lone Ranger, etc.

Mickey is one of the "Toy Box Only" characters. You can only play with them in the Toy Box, and the only "world" they have is a weak Adventure level like "collect x number of y for stars".

Each Toy Box Only character can unlock 2-6 toys in Character Chests that randomly spawn in prebuilt Toy Box worlds.
I highly recommend choosing the flat empty default Toy Box, adding some Large Terrain to the sides, and wait for the chests to spawn.
You can see a full list of Character Chest unlockables here.

The only benefit to characters like Jack Skellington, Ralph, Rapunzel, etc. is that they are fun to play around with...for a while. And the toys themselves look nice.
But outside of the Toy Box, they're literally worthless. No upgrades, no skills, nothing.

Basically we're all hoping that Disney Infinity 2 is more like Skylanders and allows switching between worlds.
Personally I'd love an overarching story where all the Disney villains gather together and overtake character worlds. Then you could have a squadron of Disney characters to summon at will.

My Target pack with all the series two power discs arrived today. Sadly I can't even muster up the energy to open them now that I have Skylanders on the PS4. :/

I haven't had much time to play since I've been having fun with XB1. But hunting for the figures is pure crack for me. I'm really pissed that crystal Buzz Lightyear is packaged with an already recently released crystal Lightning. And for over $30. They should've put him with crystal Sulley and I may have considered it. This game needs some serious push.

LaNaranja

My little brother want this and it seems like it would make a nice Christmas present. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate some answers.

1. How is the multiplayer on Wii U? Is it split screen, are you both always sharing the same screen, or does it allow one player to get the full screen and the other the gamepad?
  2. Someone mentioned that all the content is on the disc. Has anyone produced a list of all the content we can expect from this first run of the game?
  3. Which additional playsets would you recommend?
  4. How long does it take to complete a playset?
  5. Which additional characters would you recommend for each playset (including the starter ones) in order to be able to play coop in each set?

eggwolio

My little brother want this and it seems like it would make a nice Christmas present. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate some answers.

1. How is the multiplayer on Wii U? Is it split screen, are you both always sharing the same screen, or does it allow one player to get the full screen and the other the gamepad?
  2. Someone mentioned that all the content is on the disc. Has anyone produced a list of all the content we can expect from this first run of the game?
  3. Which additional playsets would you recommend?
  4. How long does it take to complete a playset?
  5. Which additional characters would you recommend for each playset (including the starter ones) in order to be able to play coop in each set?

1. I'm unfamiliar so far with the Wii U version.

2. I don't know if there's a comprehensive list anywhere, but basically you've got the discs, figures, and playsets which are currently out, plus three more crystal figures, plus Phineas and Perry and Sorcerer Mickey(who is also one of the remaining crystal figures). Also, I believe there are seventeen more discs coming in wave 3 plus the two remaining toys r us discs. This is all off the top of my head, so don't hate me if I'm wrong. John V has eluded that there may be more than just what's on the disc, but that remains to be seen.

3. The Toy Story playset is probably my favorite, followed closely by Lone Ranger. Cars is okay, but hardly a must.

4. Six to eight hours or so.

5. Unless you're a completionist, only two characters from each playset are necessary for cooperative play.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the only Wii U feature is item pop up in toy box creation mode. Which admittedly makes navigating through items a lot easier.

LaNaranja

Thanks for the answers! The more and more I look at prices the more hesitant it makes me. I hadn't even remembered about the power discs. What are those? Are they important or can they be ignored? Do any of you use them/ collect them?

I think I will probably just buy the starter set and the three pack that comes with the people that mesh with the sets in the starter. The prices seem still seem too high to me. I fear that I may be opening Pandora's Box with this and both me and my brother will end up trying to collect everything. Collecting Figures isn't to bad but having the power discs in blind packs is just pure evil. It isn't like they are $2 where getting repeats wouldn't burn as much. I am also hesitant to buy any additional figures that don't have playsets. Something like Wreck it Ralph I could easily see getting his own playset in Disney Infinity 2 and having them bundle it with another Ralph. Same with Nightmare Before Christmas.

eggwolio

I am definitely in deep. I was not a huge fan of the blind packs, but completing my series 1 set was really gratifying when I found the last two discs I needed in one pack. They were nice enough to offer series 2 in one compete set. My collecting has been paused for the moment while we try to fund our cat's surgery. Crystal Lone Ranger and Sparrow are out today, and I still need to pick up the Frozen girls, Vanellope and Rapunzel. The collector bug hits hard if that's the type of person you are.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
The discs are fun...for a moment. There's only so many times you can play with a mount before you get bored of it. And how many times will you change the ceiling or floor besides making a themed level? Twice max?

On the other hand, that Pizza Planet truck...Mmm.

Rootbeer

Banned
Frustrated at the lack of sales on the playsets, figured there'd be a lot more this month. I need to get the Toy Story and Frozen set then I'll be caught up until January when I guess we'll see Sorcerer Mickey (single packed) and the Girl Power set

LaNaranja

Well I ended up picking up the starter set on Wii U and the bundle of characters that comes with Mrs. Incredible, Mike, and some pirate. I also got a case for him to put it in because it was on sale. If any of the other playsets drop in price before Christmas I may pick them up. Otherwise, I'll just leave it with that and see where we go from there. It is surprising to see how many empty racks there are at the stores. I would think that the high price would deter more people.

eggwolio

Well I ended up picking up the starter set on Wii U and the bundle of characters that comes with Mrs. Incredible, Mike, and some pirate. I also got a case for him to put it in because it was on sale. If any of the other playsets drop in price before Christmas I may pick them up. Otherwise, I'll just leave it with that and see where we go from there. It is surprising to see how many empty racks there are at the stores. I would think that the high price would deter more people.

Good going. I recommend you start with the incredibles level, then play monsters and then pirates. Incredibles is underwhelming but pretty fun if you haven't played the others first, haha. Monsters is the only one I've completed so far, but that's more due to a lack of time on my part than a lack of interest.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. Started strong with Monsters University, loved the heck out of Pirates, then was bored halfway through The Incredibles.
You'd think having a gigantic city to roam around in would be nice, but those Omnidroids immediately overstay their welcome.

You can't explore for a second without a ton of them flying in and killing you. Makes it frustrating for kids.

Ghost23

Would you recommend this game for a teenage girl who loves building in Minecraft? She asked for this game, but I want to make sure we aren't wasting our money.

Top Bottom