• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Distributor says Xbox One now includes wired headset, Microsoft says no

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% of 360 owners have a 360. How many of them still use it? ;)

I use the Tritton Warhead and not the original headset! but it looks like I will need to buy another surround sound headset with the XB1, but at least it will still work with everything else less the chat

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-microsoft-will-now-include-a-headset-with-xbox-one

"Microsoft has announced another change of policy for Xbox One - the console will now launch with a headset included.

The company previously stated that customers would have to buy a headset separately from the £429 console, with the reasoning given that you could use the included Kinect sensor to chat instead.

Xbox One will not be compatible with Xbox 360 headsets, Microsoft has said, although the company later changed its mind on that, too, and said that it was working to develop some kind of adaptor.

Today's news of the headset's inclusion with Xbox One comes from a revised product specification for the console. Electronic Theatre spotted the change, listed by Gem, the official UK distributor for Microsoft Studios and Xbox products.

Microsoft's change of heart follows the company's earlier high-profile U-turn to drop its controversial DRM plans, a move which also saw the console become region-free.

We've asked Microsoft for comment on the change and will update when we hear back.

Takuya

Banned

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-microsoft-will-now-include-a-headset-with-xbox-one

"Microsoft has announced another change of policy for Xbox One - the console will now launch with a headset included.

The company previously stated that customers would have to buy a headset separately from the £429 console, with the reasoning given that you could use the included Kinect sensor to chat instead.

Xbox One will not be compatible with Xbox 360 headsets, Microsoft has said, although the company later changed its mind on that, too, and said that it was working to develop some kind of adaptor.

Today's news of the headset's inclusion with Xbox One comes from a revised product specification for the console. Electronic Theatre spotted the change, listed by Gem, the official UK distributor for Microsoft Studios and Xbox products.

Microsoft's change of heart follows the company's earlier high-profile U-turn to drop its controversial DRM plans, a move which also saw the console become region-free.

We've asked Microsoft for comment on the change and will update when we hear back.
*sigh*

It's the same source article and is STILL a rumor.

DEADEVIL

Outstanding news if true. MS really didn't realize they were hurting one of the best advantages the 360 enjoyed for years. Throw the wired in and everyone in the community will talk. Keep it out and they would have realized that Kinect is cool for multi, but only when you want to hear through live through your TV speakers. This is not the case for a lot of gaming situations out there.

Keep Kinect and the Xbox One.

Giygas AF

When the best thing that Microsoft is doing is simply copying Sony's every move you know they have no idea what they are doing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know either way, but I honestly cannot see why they would not pack in a 20 cent headset.

Lirrik

There's a report doing the rounds that Xbox One does, in fact, come with a headset. It appears to be based on a typo in a distributor doc.
So, yeah. I didn't believe unknown gaming site either.

raphanum

WSPP6XY.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't know either way, but I honestly cannot see why they would not pack in a 20 cent headset.

Why should they, if Kinect arguably provides better audio quality than a cheap headset.

watership

Not listening to ANY sources until it's an official PR press release. Twitter and 3rd hand references to distributors stuff? Nope. Not listening. So much changes in the last months before launch that this might not be decided until a few months before it hits the shelves.

I think the only reason we're seeing so much uncertainty is well, the internet is far more information fluid now that it was last gen's launch.

Takuya

Banned
I love how absolutely stressed you get about any possible positive news for the xb1, if the $1.50 headset is included I fear for your sanity

Big assumption on me being stressed at all about this. Are you perhaps just a tad bit too salty after all the downs and little ups Microsoft has given you so far?

Misinformation is misinformation no matter how you put it, and it must be corrected. And just so we're clear, it isn't news, it's been a rumor from the get-go.

watership

Why should they, if Kinect arguably provides better audio quality than a cheap headset.

Chat privacy. And it's been the way we've chatted to friends in games for a generation now.

I have a theory! The new xbox box chat headset might be of better quality than the ones they shipped with the 360. Meaning that the cost is higher to ship it in box. If so, the people who really care about chatting on xboxlive buy it seperately, get better equipment out of the gate. And the 90 percent of people who never chatted online don't think twice about it.

Vexxan

It would probably be something like the headset you get with the 360, which was just garbage. Tried it once before I threw it in a box.

statham

This is a type of thing Major Nelson would announce, and I'm sure hes off today. Probably until Monday.

Dunlop

Big assumption on me being stressed at all about this. Are you perhaps just a tad bit too salty after all the downs and little ups Microsoft has given you so far?

Misinformation is misinformation no matter how you put it, and it must be corrected. And just so we're clear, it isn't news, it's been a rumor from the get-go.

You have posted 12 times on a 3 page thread, then proceed to take a jab at the XB1 when it is back to rumor status

They're already over delivering value.

It's your calling card, you hate MS (you have posted it in the past) and feel the need to "contribute" in every MS thread.

Not that I need to prove anything but I've already posted my PS4 receipt multiple times, by next year I will own both because I am a gaming enthusiast which is why Gaf was so appealing to me for the last 7 years and why I get annoyed when discussions are constantly fucking derailed to fit people's agenda's.

Takuya

Banned
Not that I need to prove anything but I've already posted my PS4 receipt multiple times, by next year I will own both because I am a gaming enthusiast which is why Gaf was so appealing to me for the last 7 years and why I get annoyed when discussions are constantly fucking derailed to fit people's agenda's.

Making sure that a rumor is called a rumor is not derailing a thread, sorry to burst your bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom