• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Distributor says Xbox One now includes wired headset, Microsoft says no

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know either way, but I honestly cannot see why they would not pack in a 20 cent headset.

They aren't 20 cents anymore, they are apparently much higher quality. I'm expecting it to be as good as using my earbuds on my iphone to make a Skype call (which is markedly better quality than any voice call you can do on a regular cell phone line). Also some have been speculating they physically took the audio processing guts out of the controller and put it into the headset as well. Would make sense as they had to do something to get rid of the bump at the back of the controller.

I love how absolutely stressed you get about any possible positive news for the xb1, if the $1.50 headset is included I fear for your sanity

Actually, I don't think saving money on a headset is the primary concern here. The real problem with a console that is not bundled with a headset is how silent the online community will be. A ton of people don't care enough to buy one individually, but if it comes with they will use it.

DESTROYA

If true good move by MS, even if it's not true I have old pairs from multiple 360 consoles I have bought in the past. :(
Not sure if I'll be joining them for this next round

Dunlop

On topic of the headset I have to agree that using Kinect for speaking sucks. I was maybe 10 feet from the TV and I found it useless and would go to the headset

Actually, I don't think saving money on a headset is the primary concern here. The real problem with a console that is not bundled with a headset is how silent the online community will be. A ton of people don't care enough to buy one individually, but if it comes with they will use it.

They want everyone to use Kinect to speak

strata8

On topic of the headset I have to agree that using Kinect for speaking sucks. I was maybe 10 feet from the TV and I found it useless and would go to the headset

We don't really know how well Kinect 2 will work yet.

ekim

My 360 headset which came with the Elite SKU is still wrapped but I guess it would be a good move to include a headset.

Because I never used it: do you only hear voice via the headset or all sound effects?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If true good move by MS, even if it's not true I have old pairs from multiple 360 consoles I have bought in the past. :(
Not sure if I'll be joining them for this next round

I'm pretty sure that they've said that those won't work with the new xbox.

Dunlop

Sounds good, now remove Kinect, most people don't seem to want it anyway.

I will when I get a xb1, I want to see what they do with the technology. Removing it would revert it to niche status like the camera on the PS4 will be

PS4 is clearly the way to go if the camera is not interesting

I will when I get a xb1, I want to see what they do with the technology. Removing it would revert it to niche status like the camera on the PS4 will be

PS4 is clearly the way to go if the camera is not interesting

I guess my problem is that I don't believe in Kinect, I only see niche titles utilize it well-ish, but not the mainstream games which I'm mostly playing, so for me it's just a waste of my money.

The new Kinect is uses audio processing to cut out the game sounds and only listen for your voice. Which can isolate voice and cut out all game noise.
http://youtu.be/7dSefGxnThc

Dunlop

I guess my problem is that I don't believe in Kinect, I only see niche titles utilize it well-ish, but not the mainstream games which I'm mostly playing, so for me it's just a waste of my money.
I get that, especially if you want MS first party titles. If you don't care about them, the PS4 is a much better value just for the hardware alone

For me I'm thrilled that the PS4 camera is not a pack in as I wouldn't want 2 on my TV and Kinect is light years ahead of whatever Sony will put out.

I have kids and drunken parties (not with the kids....) and for those 2 reasons alone Kinect has been awesome

watership

We don't really know how well Kinect 2 will work yet.

Judging by the way it was demonstrated, it's a huge technical leap from the first Kinect in every respect.

Judging by the way people are reacting to it? It's somehow worse that the original Kinect.

Caayn

I don't like to use my Kinect as an headset on the Xbox 360. And I'm sure as hell won't use the kinect as an mic on the X1.

Takuya

Banned
Judging by the way it was demonstrated, it's a huge technical leap from the first Kinect in every respect.

Judging by the way people are reacting to it? It's somehow worse that the original Kinect.

Probably because you had a choice whether to buy it or not.

I knew MS would eventually include one since Sony is. MS is basically copying Sony at this point for Xbox One. Look at all the 180s. DRM, Self Publishing, headset, one thing after another at this point. Now without an Xbox Leader who knows what's next..

I knew MS would eventually include one since Sony is. MS is basically copying Sony at this point for Xbox One. Look at all the 180s. DRM, Self Publishing, headset, one thing after another at this point. Now without an Xbox Leader who knows what's next..

MS announced self publishing? If they did, awesome.

Maledict

A lot of people are probably a bit shy of technical demonstrations considering the tech demos for the original Kinect were extremely inaccurate in reality, and indeed for some demos were just faked with actors following a pre-set sequence (the infamous Star Wars one comes to mind).

Tobor

It's definitely worse. It's mandatory.

Oppo

Social media searches show that there's still a decent amount who do use it.

What, Kinect? Social media searches? pffff.

Social media searches reveal that 87.2946% of Kinect users are disappointed. go ahead, prove me wrong ;)

The new Kinect is uses audio processing to cut out the game sounds and only listen for your voice. Which can isolate voice and cut out all game noise.
http://youtu.be/7dSefGxnThc
That is a nice trick, but talk about overkill. All that processing for something a small sub-$1 mic would solve even more handily.

There is no way in hell it'll be sensitive enough to just speak in a normal/quiet tone from across the room intelligibly. When I'm wearing a mic I can speak pretty softly.

They aren't 20 cents anymore, they are apparently much higher quality. I'm expecting it to be as good as using my earbuds on my iphone to make a Skype call (which is markedly better quality than any voice call you can do on a regular cell phone line). Also some have been speculating they physically took the audio processing guts out of the controller and put it into the headset as well. Would make sense as they had to do something to get rid of the bump at the back of the controller.

Can I ask where you got this info?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Microsoft is the new flip flopping politician.

What, Kinect? Social media searches? pffff.

Social media searches reveal that 87.2946% of Kinect users are disappointed. go ahead, prove me wrong ;)

That is a nice trick, but talk about overkill. All that processing for something a small sub-$1 mic would solve even more handily.

Can I ask where you got this info?

You know what has good quality and is free? That GMAIL free phone plugin. I've used it for a few months now and it works flawlessly. Can call anyone in the US for free.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As long as the changes are positive who cares?

The changes are left and right. That's my point. Mind you I was being tongue and cheek. It's not coming with it but when this thread started it was.

I'm not disputing the damn thing being bundled is bad.

If it's the same crappy mic that came with 360 then forget it. That was like using a 1980's walki-talki :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom