• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

So guys who have played like 40+ hours or so, what would you say is the strongest team comp in your opinion? I'd go with something similar to:

1 melee guy (shield, knockdowns, heals, armor buffs)
1 ranged guy (dps, summons (summons are important because they can deal mag or phy damage depending on situations but also it's a class that works well as a secondary class))
1 mage (shield, debuffs like oil etc., magic aoe damage against big groups of low magic armor enemies)
Then either 1 more melee guy (2h dps, knockdowns, armor buffs) or 1 more ranged guy (dps, armor buffs). But basically more physical dps and more armor buffs

And then get teleport to as many guys as you can.

Basically the most important stuff for at least tactical difficulty has been teleport, knockdowns, armor buffs and maxing physical dps (physical dps just outdamages magical dps. I think a big reason is that lucky charm + thievery is so good that you get "above your level" weapons really often/easily and your weapons are always one step ahead of your magic skills in pure damage).

Healing isn't that important in this game. What's important is regening your armors. I have Fane as my main but as a mage though. I think he has died like twice in the whole game.

For the Alexander fight a good tip is to fight in that small "hallway" that is near the statue. The fight is actually fairly easy that way because it seems to break enemy AI and you can just spam shit in that small area where enemies come from.

I just hit level 12, my group is:

Custom Inquisitor: Lots of self-heals, knockdowns, sword/board with massive armour and HP, close to indestructable. Going to start using summons more as well. Decent DPS.
Sebille: Pure Rogue, massive damage and movement but can get killed quick if not careful. Sever Tendons is a little OP at times, cloak and dagger behind that annoying range mob, sever tendon and backstab and watch him run away dying in the process. Might be a slight AI exploit.
Lohse - Polymorph/Hunter with bow. Rarely caught in one place and pretty hardy, 2nd dps, good controller.
Red: Enchanter, buffs and stuns. Has highest initiative so starts with favourable wind, soothing cold and teleport the most annoying melee far far away! Throws a few heals and armour buffs as well, mostly on Sebille Rain and electricity is good too.

Reani

Welp.

I just cheesed the ever-loving FUCK out of the
Mordus/Wrecker's Cave Quest.

Guys, if you ever want to cheese the ever-loving fuck out of this game, have your entire party learn either Phoenix Dive or Tactical Retreat. They're basically much handier versions of teleport.

Man, I just fucked Act 2 so hard I feel bad that I didn't crash to desktop.
you miss out on interesting sequence of events by doing so though

Been playing for a few hours, exploring Fort Joy, and this game is really good at throwing difficult battles at you.

Is there really any chance of beating Griff and his party in the beginning, for the Imprisoned Elf quest, or should I just stay away?

I still have to start the game, do you suggest to wait for fixes?
A friend of mine said that at the moment there's a bug where some quests are shown as unfinished even if you complete them and another one where after you can't talk with anyone in the game

Question (Blackpits spoiler):
is there a way to save the tied "black ring" dudes from the Megister's shackles spell? everytime I engage in a fight I end up killing them pretty fast

kionedrik

Been playing for a few hours, exploring Fort Joy, and this game is really good at throwing difficult battles at you.

Is there really any chance of beating Griff and his party in the beginning, for the Imprisoned Elf quest, or should I just stay away?

Try unlinking your party and place them in strategic positions, for instance ranged characters in high places. Start the fight by talking to him with your melee guy/tank.

There's no need to fight him though. You can solve that quest in other ways.

Sanctuary

Any idea what's causing the awful "low memory" error with this game? A lot of people were complaining that it kept happening to them in Act 1, but it didn't happen to me once.

Now, in Act 2, I can't do any fight for more than five minutes before the game wants to crash because I'm too low on memory somehow. Without fail.

bati

Oh man level 10 blood summon is the shit. I got it just in time for the final fight in act 1 and my incarnate ended up completely dominating the battlefield. Literally worth 2-3 party members at this point.

Ya, attempting honor mode with a friend out of curiosity and just steamrolled through all of Act 1.

Friend is 2handed Warfare/Geomancer, I'm playing an Aero/Hydro/Summoner. He already has over 1k hp.

[urge to reroll as dual LW intensifies]

I'm really enjoying the diverse npc personalities but I also wouldn't mind a little less micro. How are you spreading utility points (persuasion, thievery, etc) on a LW setup? With 4 party members I got everything I wanted covered (persuasion, barter, lucky charm, thievery) but with LW I'd have to drop two - probably barter and lucky charm (rip, it's so good). I feel like persuasion is a must have in this game, just like Pet Pal.

I was with feeling that HashtagLapsed has when I was ~12h into Act 1. It was struggle bus with flat tire and I couldn't deal with any of bosses within Fort itself. Stat distribution was awful and skill selection could have been better.

Party composition was just eh and badly picked stats.

I ended up restarting the game and with better understanding of the game I was able to make right picks. End result was far more easier and enjoyable time with encounters. If I had not restarted and decided to struggle on I can only imagine how pure hell those few actually hard fights in Act 1 would have been.

Getting to Act 2 with badly built party will be very tough. At least if he is on Tactician, maybe even on lower difficulties.

Teleportation gloves. If you don't have them you haven't poked around the world enough yet or got them and sold them.

I did the same and I'm really glad I did. Night and day compared to my previous experience. Not to mention how much nicer the first area feels once you're familiar with it and can blitz through quests and encounters. I ended up oneshotting the tougher fights in act 1 with my new party, even though I haven't seen them before (rerolled before getting to the marsh). This includes the final fight which was a total breeze with two summoners.

Tovarisc

Depending on your level and gear state you may want get level or two plus scavenge some gear from the world. He is basically mini-boss fight, but very doable with prepared group, pre-battle positioning and good use of available skills.

Any idea what's causing the awful "low memory" error with this game? A lot of people were complaining that it kept happening to them in Act 1, but it didn't happen to me once.

Now, in Act 2, I can't do any fight for more than five minutes before the game wants to crash because I'm too low on memory somehow. Without fail.

Keep eye on your RAM and VRAM usage. "Low memory" warning happens when system is literally running out of memory and can make software to crash or just close.

There is / was memory leak or apparently two in Original Sin 2. We don't know what is causing memory leaks in the game, but devs already patched one affecting Act 1.

bati

Is there a way to prevent grenades, potions and other stuff you picked up getting autoslotted to the action bars? I have mine organized by spell types with gaps in between and this shit legit triggers me.

The bars are locked at all times fwiw.

Try unlinking your party and place them in strategic positions, for instance ranged characters in high places. Start the fight by talking to him with your melee guy/tank.

There's no need to fight him though. You can solve that quest in other ways.

Yeah, I tried the different positions. But when I followed one advice from a wiki, to position my ranged fighters on the balcony, I just got "target is out sight" in a dissapointing way.

Sanctuary

Keep eye on your RAM and VRAM usage. "Low memory" warning happens when system is literally running out of memory and can make software to crash or just close.

There is / was memory leak or apparently two in Original Sin 2. We don't know what is causing memory leaks in the game, but devs already patched one affecting Act 1.

Right, except it's literally happening 5-10 minutes after I just started the game after a reboot. Wasn't a problem until deep into Act 2, and it's consistently happening now. I'm on my older PC for this, but I still have 8GB system ram and 3GB vram. I suppose if I have to, I can just play on my newer PC, but I shouldn't have to move it for this game. It's not even current gen standards for requirements.

edit: It shows I'm fucking using 4.4GB of system ram for this game after it loads. That does not compute.

Right, except it's literally happening 5-10 minutes after I just started the game after a reboot. Wasn't a problem until deep into Act 2, and it's consistently happening now. I'm on my older PC for this, but I still have 8GB system ram and 3GB vram. I suppose if I have to, I can just play on my newer PC, but I shouldn't have to move it for this game. It's not even current gen standards for requirements.

I had 3 crashes today in act 2, never had one up till now and my computer is about 1 month old. Not sure what was happening, just CTD.

Tovarisc

edit: It shows I'm fucking using 4.4GB of system ram for this game after it loads. That does not compute.

I need check my RAM usage by the game in Act 2 when I get home in little over hour from now, but in Act 1 game hovered steadily around ~3GB RAM usage.

IF your save / game is affected by memory leak it doesn't matter that much when you started the PC or the game as it will keep steadily consuming more and more. If possible try keep eye on RAM usage as you play and all the way to possible crash. If there is steady climb in use of RAM then memory leak is possible.

J4g3r

Is there a way to prevent grenades, potions and other stuff you picked up getting autoslotted to the action bars? I have mine organized by spell types with gaps in between and this shit legit triggers me.

The bars are locked at all times fwiw.

There's a mod in Steam Workshop that gets rid of it, if you can do without achievements (lol no).

Annoys me too, hoping they hear the feedback and they patch in a toggle for it in the options.

Alastor3

For my little hunter build, was thinking of hothead, exercutionner, phoenix dive

But now i was also thinking of getting Far Out Man (2 meters more to shoot arrow, wouldn't that be good?) or what about bigger and better or comeback kid?

Tovarisc

There's a mod in Steam Workshop that gets rid of it, if you can do without achievements (lol no).

Annoys me too, hoping they hear the feedback and they patch in a toggle for it in the options.
  • While at it they really should add bag where to all crafting materials go automatically or at least me let me craft remotely from stash. While at it fix "Send to the stash" function.
  • Increase inventory screen size of stash.
  • Why I have two different stacks of empty potion bottles? Because one has slightly different picture attached to it? Please let me merge them.
  • etc.
A lot small QoL things they could and should do to the game.

Lanrutcon

Get your mages 12 constitution and 1 Warfare. Equip them with shields. Watch their survivability skyrocket. Have them throw the shield at things with high magic armor. Profit. And now all those close combat spells that only affect things that are close to you make sense.

Get your mages 12 constitution and 1 Warfare. Equip them with shields. Watch their survivability skyrocket. Have them throw the shield at things with high magic armor. Profit. And now all those close combat spells that only affect things that are close to you make sense.
I have tons of constitution on my mages.

Wits is garbarge if more than one member of your group has it. ( I would recommend ranger for wits. My lohse ranger opener is usually haste, tactical retreat, clear minded and encourage)
And having a ton of damage/utility from int/memory, is only useful if you are actually staying alive. Which you won't, atleast not on classic, every enemy will head straight to your squishes.

I put polymorph on my pyro so he can position himself right in the middle of fights. (Red lizard + demon makes for one survivable Mage)

Rad-

I have shield throw on my mage as well. It's a very good skill because of its low cooldown.

Shield + wand just overall seems much better than staff.

Sarcasm

Thinking of a Duo Lone Wolf:

Fane as Summoner & Necro with Seb as Scoundrel & poly

This sound like it would work or would be a pain?

So how do you guys gear up your party? Do your tank stick with physical armor while your mage stick with mage armor, or mix and match?

My Lohse mage has 12 strength so that she can wear a couple of heavy armors to accommodate her physical armor. I also give my Red Prince tank a mage trouser to boost his magic armor. Finesse characters seem well-rounded already so I stick with full finesse gears on Sebille hunter.

Elven_Star

I killed the Crocodile before activating The Teleporter quest and now the gloves are not appearing on the corpse. Any way to fix this?

Sanctuary

Yeah, shields on support/summoner fucking rocks. They survive way more than a melee character with "high" physical armor because they are ranged and have a massive amount of both. For an offensive caster though, I like going for dual wands since you can get 10% (maybe more) crit on each of them. With Sortilege you can apply your crit chance to spells.

Also, apparently Living on the Edge doesn't even work. It's supposed to prevent a character from dropping lower than 1 HP, but I've tried it multiple times on low health party members, and an enemy just walks up and blows them to bits anyway.

J4g3r

• While at it they really should add bag where to all crafting materials go automatically or at least me let me craft remotely from stash. While at it fix "Send to the stash" function.
  • Increase inventory screen size of stash.
  • Why I have two different stacks of empty potion bottles? Because one has slightly different picture attached to it? Please let me merge them.
  • etc.
A lot small QoL things they could and should do to the game.

Agreed.

I'm glad we got a "junk category" in this one (add to wares), drove me insane in the first game not having something like that.

Dedicated storage for item types would be a godsend; something as simple as adding a key ring where all your keys go, or a stash just for crafting ingredients like you said.

As it is now, you have multiple bags in your inventory that you have to remember (and organize) what you put in each of them, bit of a mess really.

bati

Thinking of a Duo Lone Wolf:

Fane as Summoner & Necro with Seb as Scoundrel & poly

This sound like it would work or would be a pain?

That's probably what I'd do, summoner is just so strong and can easily have a few utility spells slotted to buff the summons and the other party member. Another interesting option would be str summoner//warfare (+some necro if you want to play Fane), go 2h with mobility spells and just warp around the battlefield with both party members.

MikeBison

I have shield throw on my mage as well. It's a very good skill because of its low cooldown.

Have two wands on my Loshe, but she does pretty eager damage with it anyway, hadn't dawned on me to put a shield on her!

J4g3r

This makes so much sense, damn.

As it is now I have 2 mages, one with a staff and one with dual wands. Probably going to repec Lohse (dual wands) since I rarely use the wand attack and just give her a shield too.

Durante

The first time I saw the stats on a shield I realized that my mage would use a shield. After the start of the game you almost never need to fall back to basic attacks with a mage anyway.

MrCinos

Alright did everyone kill off the
dog
in the cage? Surely its not just me, right? My wife hates me for it..
This taught me (obvious in hindsight) that you need to lvl up persuasion skill on the same character that have Pet Pal to avoid similar situations.

Lanrutcon

The first time I saw the stats on a shield I realized that my mage would use a shield. After the start of the game you almost never need to fall back to basic attacks with a mage anyway.

If I could have my mages dual wield shields I would do so in a heartbeat.

Anyone have a comprehensive crafting list, btw?

MikeBison

These posts make me realise what a dummy I've been. Way to skyrocket your mages defence. Both categories usually. Plus they usually have innate shields up to regain physical.

Have to break that mentality of shields being for melee warriors in other games.

Lanrutcon

Really? I've found myself utilizing the crafting a lot more than I did in the first one - Where I didn't even feel the need to do it.

EDIT:

Honey is all you need to craft Charming Arrows? Wtf...

Guessing there's a way to get honey from beehives?

Aye.

And yeah, crafting bites. Where's the stat enhancing of armor and weapons? And applying resistances?

Sentenza

Honestly everything seems better than staffs, to the point I think they shoudl get a significant buff.

Weirdly enough this was pointed over and over during early access, but Larian never seemed to register the criticism.

Maximo

Im an idiot never gave my mages a shield...thats way better...seriously my god so many hours and I never even considered it.

A taste of freedom..

So I freed the Lich, then gave him a source point, even gave him my blood at the end. He left me a nice reward in a box full of good loots, but will I regret this later? He sounds menacing and might do terrible things later on.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so Act 1 question about Beast:
does he has a quest in Act 1? I have started all others, but his.For reference, I've done pretty much all of the Island but the armory and the abandonned camp with the Shriekers in the North east.

Krabboss

Really? I've found myself utilizing the crafting a lot more than I did in the first one - Where I didn't even feel the need to do it.

EDIT:

Honey is all you need to craft Charming Arrows? Wtf...

Guessing there's a way to get honey from beehives?
You could craft more things in the original, and the crafted weapons were better than anything that would drop. The only things worth crafting in this game are arrows, potions and grenades, which you could already do in the original anyway. They intentionally nerfed the crafting because it was too good.

Shahadan

Ok, so Act 1 question about Beast:
does he has a quest in Act 1? I have started all others, but his.For reference, I've done pretty much all of the Island but the armory and the abandonned camp with the Shriekers in the North east.

Not much
he's the one in my team who had the least things to do on that front, but he talks to some dwarves in fort joy and you get some backstory, also a key for the prison iirc. Nothing you can't do without, the bulk of his quest seem to be in other acts. He even basically told me just that at some point, lol

Yeah, I guess I was lucky back then. I've had a several of them surrounding the worm so my party was basically ignored.

I've also had my companions died a couple of times and I had to resurrect them though, so it was really a very close win.

That Act 1 boss fight was a real nail biter. I was knee deep in it and thought there was no way past it (named a mid-fight save "I'm screwed").
Just looking at the amount of armor and health on Alexander and the Void Worm made things feel insurmountable.

But somehow I was able to get my entire party except for Loshe (who was dead) on the east side platform where there was only an archer and the metamorph while the rest of the enemies were having a brawl with the worm in a sea of necrofire. Dispatched the two enemies near the party and then just literally kept ending turns as the others fought worm. In the end the worm killed everyone and was left with zero armor and only 300 hp so he was easily dispatched from there.

Did feel bad about the two seekers I brought into the fight. They pretty much went down ad sacrificial cannon fodder

Mivey

Did Larian somehow mess up when they added Steam Achievements? I see them on the client, but when I want to check which ones I have unlocked on the Community pages, I get nothing. It also doesn't show the achievement on the store front.

Did Larian somehow mess up when they added Steam Achievements? I see them on the client, but when I want to check which ones I have unlocked on the Community pages, I get nothing. It also doesn't show the achievement on the store front.

Same for me. I don't know what's happening there.

On the games page (accessible via your profile) it doesn't list achievements there so there must be some sort of conflict in Steam. They're being awarded and shown in the client so we know they're there, but it's like the client and Steam store have different info.

Top Bottom