• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Gyoru

Did Larian somehow mess up when they added Steam Achievements? I see them on the client, but when I want to check which ones I have unlocked on the Community pages, I get nothing. It also doesn't show the achievement on the store front.

One of the Larian folks mentioned on Discord that the issue is on Steam's end and it's being worked on.

Question on fight right after Act 1 Ends:

During the ship battle with Dallis, two of my characters were tagged with some kid of bomb that will go off after a couple of turns. Is there any way to counteract or protect against it?

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
[urge to reroll as dual LW intensifies]

I'm really enjoying the diverse npc personalities but I also wouldn't mind a little less micro. How are you spreading utility points (persuasion, thievery, etc) on a LW setup? With 4 party members I got everything I wanted covered (persuasion, barter, lucky charm, thievery) but with LW I'd have to drop two - probably barter and lucky charm (rip, it's so good). I feel like persuasion is a must have in this game, just like Pet Pal.

We abandoned Barter and Persuasion, went for Thievery and Lucky Charm. Lucky Charm seems to proc quite often, and Thievery seemed too important to the point where we just steal things we need instead of purchasing them.

We went the route of murder almost everything and ignore persuasion for this run through heh.

Thinking of a Duo Lone Wolf:

Fane as Summoner & Necro with Seb as Scoundrel & poly

This sound like it would work or would be a pain?

Check into 2h warfare. You really get the most out of Enrage with the AP recovery with Lone Wolf and can deal out a constant stream of insane crits.

Sarcasm

We abandoned Barter and Persuasion, went for Thievery and Lucky Charm. Lucky Charm seems to proc quite often, and Thievery seemed too important to the point where we just steal things we need instead of purchasing them.

We went the route of murder almost everything and ignore persuasion for this run through heh.

Check into 2h warfare. You really get the most out of Enrage with the AP recovery with Lone Wolf and can deal out a constant stream of insane crits.

So wait do 2H warfare & necor with scoundrel and poly?

Tovarisc

I killed the Crocodile before activating The Teleporter quest and now the gloves are not appearing on the corpse. Any way to fix this?

Weird bug. Main crocodile should have gloves no matter what, it's how / why it can teleport in first place. Not sure about fix, hope you have earlier save?

Right, except it's literally happening 5-10 minutes after I just started the game after a reboot. Wasn't a problem until deep into Act 2, and it's consistently happening now. I'm on my older PC for this, but I still have 8GB system ram and 3GB vram. I suppose if I have to, I can just play on my newer PC, but I shouldn't have to move it for this game. It's not even current gen standards for requirements.

edit: It shows I'm fucking using 4.4GB of system ram for this game after it loads. That does not compute.

Loaded my Act 2 save. I'm in Stonegarden and game is using 4.5GB RAM just after loading the save.

Save file is 12MB, double of what Act 1 saves were o_O

wamberz1

Holy shit combat in this game takes a long time.

Just fought (act 1) the
magister houndmaster and the royal slug thing back to back, took almost 3 and a half hours.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Holy shit combat in this game takes a long time.

Just fought (act 1) the
magister houndmaster and the royal slug thing back to back, took almost 3 and a half hours.

I pet pal'd my way out of the 2nd fight, but the first actually didn't take me that long. Granted I was level 4 and one of my dudes still died, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
Positioning was a big factor, and right off the bat I teleported the houndmaster to the middle of my party so we could gang up on him

Edit: Wait, I was 3. That was the fight that got me to 4.

Krabboss

With scoundrel, you're probably only going to put two points into polymorph so you will likely dip into a third skill. Necro is good with Warfare, although again you'll only be putting a couple points into it unless you want the lifesteal. Polymorph is good on Warfare characters.

I would consider having somebody rush to 10 Summoning if you want something strong and versatile. It's probably the strongest skill in the game right now, and the Geomancer plant summon in particular is very strong.

Reani

With scoundrel, you're probably only going to put two points into polymorph so you will likely dip into a third skill. Necro is good with Warfare, although again you'll only be putting a couple points into it unless you want the lifesteal. Polymorph is good on Warfare characters.

I would consider having somebody rush to 10 Summoning if you want something strong and versatile. It's probably the strongest skill in the game right now, and the Geomancer plant summon in particular is very strong.
take huntsman 2. you need only 2 skills from that tree - tactical retreat and first aid. removing debuffs from any ally is invaluable, and having teleport+free haste in 1 button is too good.

there are shitton of useful skills for low points:
warfare 2 for phoenix dive+blitz+2 aoe knockdowns
aero 2 for teleport+nether swap+evade
huntsman 2 for first aid and tactical retreat
poly 1 for chicken+invisibility

necro is a supportive tree but i actually dont find it that useful for a warrior or rogue

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member

It seems like in Lone Wolf, at least a little bit into Act 2, having a physical damage and magic damage character seems a necessity, to deal with differing armor values and focus on the one that is lowest.

2H Warfare + Necro + 1 point into polymorph for some of their abilities like spread your wings. I imagine the lifesteal from from the warfare/necro combo would be quite potent. Also pick up picture of health.

Then probably a Summoner plus any magic combo you want. Summons are great to to summon another physical dmg or magic damage based character, and they're great fodder lol.

Even if its just one point to pick up certain abilities, like fortify or armour of frost, so far these things seem useful and worth the stat investment.

Honestly though, so far Lone Wolf seems to let you do anything you want in terms of class combos, and you can also always respec once into the start of Act 2.

Reani

I ask because I want to go Summoning on Fane with Sebille with scoundrel and poly.

Then I guess add huntsmen to Seb and...warfare to Fane?
warfare 1 is a must on all melee characters. battering ram and ground slam are GODLIKE crowd control spells.
dont think of the game as usual classes in typical rpg, in this game you want to take the best from everything.

like, you can never go wrong with aero 2 on any character just for teleport alone. teleport makes A LOT of fights really trivial as you just stack enemies on top of each other and aoe them to death
poly 1 is also godlike on any character thanks to chicken+invisibility.

Sarcasm

warfare 1 is a must on all melee characters. battering ram and ground slam are GODLIKE crowd control spells.
dont think of the game as usual classes in typical rpg, in this game you want to take the best from everything.

like, you can never go wrong with aero 2 on any character just for teleport alone. teleport makes A LOT of fights really trivial as you just stack enemies on top of each other and aoe them to death

Yea didn't think about going melee on the summoner >.>

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Glad to hear poly is a good combo with warfare. I took a point in it on my melee Red Prince last night, but haven't snagged any poly skill books yet.

Yea didn't think about going melee on the summoner >.>

I'm not at all familiar with lone wolf and how best to use it, but this sounds a bit too spread out... A warfare/necro melee is a great combo, I don't see what summoner will do at all for it. I would suggest just straight necro/summoner or geo/summoner and play a caster.

Reani

I'm not at all familiar with lone wolf and how best to use it, but this sounds a bit too spread out... A warfare/necro melee is a great combo, I don't see what summoner will do at all for it. I would suggest just straight necro/summoner or geo/summoner and play a caster.
in lonewolf you have to completely focus your party on either physical damage or magical, if you spread out you'll just increase HP of all enemies by like 30% because one of your characters will be removing physical armor, and another magical. thats counterproductive

Glad to hear poly is a good combo with warfare. I took a point in it on my melee Red Prince last night, but haven't snagged any poly skill books yet.

Poly is super versatile. Chameleon Cloak lets you instantly take the heat off if you get overwhelmed. Chicken is a great way to put a character out of omission because the chicken will practically run to the end of the map so they are well out of the battle even after turning back. Flight is an awesome skill that only costs 1 AP to get almost anywhere in the map.

Sarcasm

I mean that what I originally put (more of summoning though)...lol

in lonewolf you have to completely focus your party on either physical damage or magical, if you spread out you'll just increase HP of all enemies by like 30% because one of your characters will be removing physical armor, and another magical. thats counterproductive

So if I really want Seb to be Scoundrel + Poly + maybe huntsman

I should go Warfare and Necro for Fane?

A good point, but if they do summoner/necro and play a caster, that is still physical damage right? Most, if not all necro spells do physical damage.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else get heavy frame rate drops regardless of settings? It'll plod along at 80-100fps most of the time but in scenes with heavy particles or even when panning the camera sharply it'll drop to around 40fps.

Reani

I mean that what I originally put (more of summoning though)...lol

So if I really want Seb to be Scoundrel + Poly + maybe huntsman

I should go Warfare and Necro for Fane?
warfare 1 for both if they use melee weapons. polymorph 1 for both to escape and even more crowd control.

rest is whatever you want it to be really

Gothos

Does anyone else get heavy frame rate drops regardless of settings? It'll plod along at 80-100fps most of the time but in scenes with heavy particles or even when panning the camera sharply it'll drop to around 40fps.

Yea. They disappeared in fullscreen mode for me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Eh, i need a pure fighter, three wizards are way too much although I'm not having any particular issues strolling around

Small thing that is driving me nuts - if I respec my companions via the mirror it changes their portrait. Anyone find a way to keep the originals?

Lanrutcon

<encounter finesse check>
<reload to put Ifan up front>
<finesse check failed>
<check character screen>

40. He has 40 finesse. These checks are broken.

<encounter finesse check>
<reload to put Ifan up front>
<finesse check failed>
<check character screen>

40. He has 40 finesse. These checks are broken.
Is it a persuade Finesse check? I'm not clear how it works, but I'd imagine Persuade dramatically lowers the passing amount.
Small thing that is driving me nuts - if I respec my companions via the mirror it changes their portrait. Anyone find a way to keep the originals?

Curious about this too. I only noticed the change too late.

Anoxida

Thievery is pretty handy, yeah.

Got 60k and nothing to spend it on.

That sounds OP as fuck. I haven't been trying to steal at all. I've been really unlucky with non-unique gear drop so my party feels a bit on the weaker side now as a whole so that money would do wonders for me. But at the same time, I hate when gold loses it's value because you have nothing to sink it on.

I asked a little while back but didn't see a response.

It seems broadly speaking that it's more interesting and fun from a story perspective to go with 4 origin characters than to roll with one or more custom characters.

Anyone have any thoughts on custom characters and the main plot?

It seems broadly speaking that it's more interesting and fun from a story perspective to go with 4 origin characters than to roll with one or more custom characters.

I've been going with origin characters. Insofar as I have only been playing single player. The side quests seem rather well developed and interesting, especially characters like Fane and Lohse.

I feel like when playing multiplayer there may be some benefit to people making custom characters but it is still hard to say.

Lanrutcon

There's no downside to running 4 origin characters. Make sure to get Fane and Ifan. Ifan in particular is hilarious. I've lost count of the amount of times I've gotten special dialogue from him when dealing with the criminal element. It's usually variations of "Look at my face reeeeeeal careful like, and then say that again.".

Edit: also, charm arrows are in fact made with honey. Who thought that was a good idea? I now have 60.

MrCinos

Thievery is pretty handy, yeah.

Got 60k and nothing to spend it on.

When we eventually start our 3-man Tactician playthrough I'd be advising to avoid using thievery and lucky charm. Tactician felt fair without investment in those skills during first half of Act 1 and after I rerolled to min-max harder with getting those skills the game became much much easier. Not a fan of unlimited gold supply. I mean, I like breaking the balance in single-player, but for our multi-player session I'd want maximum challenge.

J4g3r

Is there a way to move NPCs without freaking them out?

Feels impossible to steal from some of the vendors in Driftwood.

That sounds OP as fuck. I haven't been trying to steal at all. I've been really unlucky with non-unique gear drop so my party feels a bit on the weaker side now as a whole so that money would do wonders for me. But at the same time, I hate when gold loses it's value because you have nothing to sink it on.

I don't know I have 55k at lvl 11 and I haven't stolen anything in Driftwood other than keys and what not. I did steal a bunch in the first act though but since then I haven't bothered, lucky charm at 7 on my tank and he opens everything, I've started drinking alchohol before opening a bunch of containers at once(like when there's a bunch of crates/barrels/skeletons together), I'm getting purples and pinks everywhere to equip/sell and I have a barter char and raise attitude to 100 with every good vendor so I get stupid prices on buying and lots of money selling.

Mind you, I do have Thievery, my rogue has 7 or 8, can steal I think 12k per vendor, just haven't bothered with it yet since I figure I might as well wait until later if I find better thievery gear.

Lucky Charm and Thievery basically break money making once they're high enough. That's not counting the borderline exploit stuff like hiring pickpockets and what not, just using them normally. Bartering is so so, it's great combined with either since it increases your generated gold by a % but compared to them it's not that much.

Should I take Flight or phoenix dive?

If you mean polymorph wings, they act a bit differently so depends. Wings cost 1AP to activate and last 3turns, but you need another AP to use the ability to jump around, so 2AP to jump in a single turn. However you can keep using them every turn until the spells wears off. Meanwhile Phoenix Dive only costs 1AP and does aoe damage when you land, but it has a cooldown so you can only use it once. I replaced wings by phoenix dive on my warrior, I don't use it that often, I have The Pawn for small repositionning and for stuff too far I use other characters to either move the targets or kill them(rogue).

Something happened to me at the end of Act 1 that I am no longer used to in an RPG:
I played a jackass Fane and Ifan, the gentle soul that he is, had enough and left the party. He didn't come back. Ifan was my archer, and the strongest party member by a country mile, star barterer, and loot holder. I ended up recruiting Lohse instead and was able to steal back most of Ifan's possessions, but man... was not expecting that at all.

Party members with actual agency are such a rare thing these days. DOS2 stays winning.

Top Bottom