• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Type2

I've got respec paralysis. My current party of Ifan Pyro/Geo blaster mage, Fane rushing 10 summoning the support spells, Sibelle Ranger with tons of mobility, and Red Prince is my warefare/necro sword and board.

It feels like a good squad but for some reason im hesitating on moving forward.

Ryzaki009

Lucian breaking your Revered buff never happened to me, but that sounds terrible and seems like it should be a bug. I also saw a bug where the white magisters wouldn't get transported to the second arena, so they were running around doing nothing in the first area during phase two. It was funny but ultimately harmless.

Yeah for some reason in my game Malady was wandering around instead of staying still praying so any enemy that went to the upper level (including Lucian) had a chance of startling her and causing me to lose my buff. I wish I had that bug but I usually killed them first since they were easy to chain CC.

Taruranto

Ojia4q5.jpg

This was pretty easy. What's the catch? I didn' even need the magic shield, dude got stunlocked after his first attack.

Oh my god. Seriously? Well, that explains it all. So whoever has Pet Talk talk needs to invest in Persuasion, I guess. Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed this too yesterday. The pet pal member needs a high persuasion.

Moreover, your companions will also want to take over a dialogue sometimes and persuasion check might occurs. This also leads to having to invest some persuasion on everyone if you want a "Speech" run. As someone who highly prefer that kind of run in my RPGs, it's kinda bugging me, tbh.

Adnor

Banned
Wreckers' Cave spoiler:
Wait is Mordus supposed to transform and become a difficult fight? He died my first turn because I destroyed his physical armor and transformed him into a chicken, rupturing his tendons making him kill himself lmao

wamberz1

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated... Killed everything I possibly could before the final boss of act 1 and still only level 6.

I get utterly steamrolled every time I attempt it. Right now my ranger (ifan) has his story-related epic wep so he's pretty good DPS but my others (warrior, battlemage and enchanter) all hit like wet noodles.

Think I may have to start over. This game can be legit fun but wasting 6+ hours bashing my head against a wall isn't my idea of a good time.

Kard8p3

Wreckers' Cave spoiler:
Wait is Mordus supposed to transform and become a difficult fight? He died my first turn because I destroyed his physical armor and transformed him into a chicken, rupturing his tendons making him kill himself lmao

Only happens if one of his minions (or your characters, I think) dies. Fight is super easy if you just focus him down.

Stiler

So after reading some more I am confused now on how to build my main character.

About done with Act 1 and need to figure out how to respec everyone.

My main goal is to have a high dps-melee fighter with Fane (who I'm playing as).

The issue is how to make them high dps? Some people say warfare> everything, others say dual wield, then some say two handed.

Also one of the main issues I run into is the lack of AP during fights. I start with 4 and I'm lucky to even get a single attack when taking into account my movement, etc. I ran with Sebille for a bit and she seemed to have a TON of ap, start with 6, movement cost faaaar less then fane and then had adrenline/flesh sacrifice for 3 extra ap on top of that.

What skills are good for getting that kind of movement/ap ratio?

I have polymorph wings, so I can get around pretty good at the start or whenever I use them and then executioner, so I get two ap if I land a killing blow, but that's about it

My main goal is to have a high dps-melee fighter with Fane (who I'm playing as).

The issue is how to make them high dps? Some people say warfare> everything, others say dual wield, then some say two handed.

Also one of the main issues I run into is the lack of AP during fights. I start with 4 and I'm lucky to even get a single attack when taking into account my movement, etc. I ran with Sebille for a bit and she seemed to have a TON of ap, start with 6, movement cost faaaar less then fane and then had adrenline/flesh sacrifice for 3 extra ap on top of that.

I have polymorph wings, so I can get around pretty good at the start or whenever I use them and then executioner, so I get two ap if I land a killing blow, but that's about it

Get scoundrel in your warfare builds.

Labadal

I'm using a two handed/warfare/strength build.

Get battering ram and later on the skill that teleports you from enemy to enemy. Phoenix dive later on. There's also the stomp ability. I'm wrecking stuff left and right. Add runes on your weapons when possible. They are not permanent. You can extract them whenever you want. My two handed Fane deals both physical and magical damage.

Trickster

*sigh* Starting to get real tired of quests being bugged, especially when it's one of the companion quests.

Fane -
Went to the black pit excavation site like it says he wants to
, clear it completely, and fuck all has happened, even though supposedly it should have triggered something
after the eternal is killed

For all the shit bethesda rpgs get for being buggy, Divinity 2 is way worse

Xeteh

Man, Rip Tendons + Chicken Claw is a lot of fun... and on that note a Warfare Rogue seems pretty good (at least early game).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Guys, I respecced my guy from necro/summoner to a pure necro/pyro and my Gloves of teleportation dont work anymore? Skill disappeared from the book

I dun fucked up?

Finished
Lizard Consulate
in Act 4, I do agree that the fight inside the building is good idea in theory but was stupid frustrating to deal with in practice. Especially so that you deal with that frustration to deal with even more frustration in the eventual boss fight. I did enjoy the boss fight for what its worth but I feel if I didn't skip the trash mobs I would have a sour opinion on it.

I haven't encountered gamebreaking bugs yet in Act 4 so I'm hoping I'll get through it in one piece; I'm really enjoying the final setting here despite it all.

*sigh* Starting to get real tired of quests being bugged, especially when it's one of the companion quests.

Fane -
Went to the black pit excavation site like it says he wants to
, clear it completely, and fuck all has happened, even though supposedly it should have triggered something
after the eternal is killed

For all the shit bethesda rpgs get for being buggy, Divinity 2 is way worse

Hmm what was it supposed to trigger? After the fight in my playthrough all that happened was that Fane goes
into a minor state of depression
when you talk to him. But he soon picks himself up during Act 3.

Blyr

Banned
I have to say the
Villain
tag has been giving me some pretty hilarious dialogue options

I'm in the elf city and met the lizard who swapped to the elf gods, and told him that the elf god was disappointed in him. "That hurt a lot", crying laughing. It feels more like being a snarky asshole than a "villain" per se

bit disappointed you can't get it until act 2, but I'm going to speedrun the necessary requirements on PT2+ bc I want to see all the possible options

Also, is it possible (Lohse spoilers)
to let lohse succumb to the demon? I've been doing her questline, lowkey encouraging her to become evil and succumb to the demon, but she's been taking that as me being a good friend, while the quest still progress to find a way to "purify" her. Also everyone keeps telling me to kill her if she tries to become divine, so I really want to start PT2+ already and main her, so I can show them all what happens if Lohse becomes divine

I have to say the
Villain
tag has been giving me some pretty hilarious dialogue options

I'm in the elf city and met the lizard who swapped to the elf gods, and told him that the elf god was disappointed in him. "That hurt a lot", crying laughing. It feels more like being a snarky asshole than a "villain" per se

bit disappointed you can't get it until act 2, but I'm going to speedrun the necessary requirements on PT2+ bc I want to see all the possible options

Also, is it possible (Lohse spoilers)
to let lohse succumb to the demon? I've been doing her questline, lowkey encouraging her to become evil and succumb to the demon, but she's been taking that as me being a good friend, while the quest still progress to find a way to "purify" her. Also everyone keeps telling me to kill her if she tries to become divine, so I really want to start PT2+ already and main her, so I can show them all what happens if Lohse becomes divine

Wait wait, what? There's a
Villain
tag? How do you get it? I got my
Hero
tag during Act 2 during Blackpits I think.

Trickster

Hmm what was it supposed to trigger? After the fight in my playthrough all that happened was that Fane goes
into a minor state of depression
when you talk to him. But he soon picks himself up during Act 3.

I don't know exactly. But literally nothing happened, he said nothing and his quest wasn't updated, so after having gone to the place that was the sole reason he was willing to join you in the first place, nothing happened.

UberLevi

In Act 2 when searching for the
Source Masters
does it matter which one you pick or do they all essentially just lead to the same completion state? My buddy and I found
Jahan, who was a companion of ours in Original Sin 1
and so we're super hyped about that, but want to make sure our choice doesn't have varying outcomes.

Maximo

In Act 2 when searching for the
Source Masters
does it matter which one you pick or do they all essentially just lead to the same completion state? My buddy and I found
Jahan, who was a companion of ours in Original Sin 1
and so we're super hyped about that, but want to make sure our choice doesn't have varying outcomes.

You only need
3 source points, depending on who teaches you can have consequences, nothing major just small things if any.

Chaos17

*raise de flame shield* I hate that almost every enemies can teleport!
But I finaly finished Act 1, I didn't enjoyed it, too much repeat of story.

I don't know exactly. But literally nothing happened, he said nothing and his quest wasn't updated, so after having gone to the place that was the sole reason he was willing to join you in the first place, nothing happened.

I mean, did you talk to him after? From what I've seen/played,
Fane doesn't do anything because the revelation of the Seven Gods being Eternals and throwing the rest of their entire race into the Void
is kinda depressing. His story picks up again in Act 3.

So people who have finished the game.

I managed to trigger a fight, just by hitting
Dallis
to 0, whilst everyone stood still.
It skipped to
Rex summoning kraken
, did I miss anything big?

Sadly, the first game was a game I picked up during a Steam sale but never got around to installing. I know it's not required to understand and enjoy Original Sin 2, but I admit as much because I don't actually have a lot of tabletop RPG experience (I've dabbled, just never played through an entire campaign, etc), and my past attempts to play pen-and-paper/tabletop inspired videogames generally ends in my frustration and overwhelmed feelings at the huge array of options.

That said, the "pen-and-paper freedom" is something I've always wanted to try and learn, and I'm even further intrigued by the origin stories system and how it promises to really significantly alter how you interact with the world as you go.

Is this game generally pretty good about teaching pen-and-paper-inexperienced types like me the ropes? Is that even the point of pen-and-paper inspired systems? In the past with games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights, I often found myself extremely frustrated because I kept going in and desiring to sort of take the superhero approach that I feel I've been conditioned to by other games, and I often found that that approach wouldn't work. No rushing in and dominating enemies, and having to continuously account for the outcomes of one battle significantly impacting my ability to deal with the next, etc... I was basically raised and conditioned more in arcade-inspired videogames, and I never really dabbled in pen and paper until my teens, and even then, never really committed to a full D&D campaign. Games like this feel completely different and beyond my immediate videogame intuition, then, and even watching video reviews and reading through various impressions, I feel like a game this complex is really hard to communicate effectively, and I often feel that a lot of it is directed toward people who have some background in pen and paper.

There's obviously some level of responsibility on my own behalf to pick up the knowledge and skill to build an intuition for these types of games, but do the various praises for this game include some level of accessibility? I understand there's a lot of "freedom," but does this game do a good job educating players on those freedoms?

Ryzaki009

Dallis
It skipped to
Rex summoning kraken

No you just made the fight a bit more difficult for yourself. You could've killed everyone but her and Braccus and they'd stayed down on the next part.

Lanrutcon

So my first attempt at killing the source of the goddamn apocalypse in chapter 2 ended terribly. So I went and did other stuff. I just made level 17, and remembered the thing was still alive, so I went over there and to test the big endgame spells that I had just...uh...procured.

1 Hailstorm. That's all it took. My Enchanter stood on the mountain top and smote that thing, old testament style. Man, I wish I hadn't spent the ENTIRE CHAPTER 2 ignoring the source masters.

There's obviously some level of responsibility on my own behalf to pick up the knowledge and skill to build an intuition for these types of games, but do the various praises for this game include some level of accessibility? I understand there's a lot of "freedom," but does this game do a good job educating players on those freedoms?

It can't. Like, if the tutorial covered all the ways the different systems interact it would take ages, plus it would rob the player of that sense of discovery when you find things. It'll show you how to play the game. It won't show you how to use furniture, a summon cat spell and some grenades to kill a room full of assassins.

goblin

Wait wait, what? There's a
Villain
tag? How do you get it? I got my
Hero
tag during Act 2 during Blackpits I think.

There are a bunch of ways, but I think if you just
go around consuming the source of the spirits you see via dialogue and it should pop eventually. I got it from trying to source-kill all the major Black Ring sworn spirits.

Dallis
It skipped to
Rex summoning kraken

That sounds normal to me? Unless you mean none of the enemies were acting at all.
Once you take Dallis to 0 in the first phase, Braccus Rex starts talking, "breaks free" and the fight goes into phase two. This can also happen if you take him down to ~20% in phase one.

No you just made the fight a bit more difficult for yourself. You could've killed everyone but her and Braccus and they'd stayed down on the next part.
I restarted hit BR for science.
Then nuked BR and beat the boss, with my main dead. The ending cutscenes plays,GAMEOVER screen. Larian......

Guys, I respecced my guy from necro/summoner to a pure necro/pyro and my Gloves of teleportation dont work anymore? Skill disappeared from the book

I dun fucked up?

There's some issues with gear that grants skills sometimes, especially when you have the skill learned too. For example if I equip an item that gives me a skill that I've learned but for which I don't meet the requirements(say having 1pt Pyrokinetic for Clear Mind which I got from the elf passive), the skill appears on my bar but cannot be used. I've read stories of people unequipping an item and losing their spells too.

Try unequiping, using the mirror, and re-equipping, and using a teleport book to learn the skill again or something like that.

sadblob

How does "A Man and His Dog" continues after finding
Rusty
in
Stonegarden
?

Also I explored almost all of the west and north of Driftwood and I'm obscenely overleveled for this part, should've done it the other way around.

Is there any drawbacks from
consuming spirits
once I'm done talking to them? Like, for instance will you later in the game be judged for it or some other effect?

you get the
villian tag if you consume normal people rather than void tainted people
which will give you some other options

We have a co-op game going, 3 people, we are level 4 or 5 right now. Another friend wants to join, is there any way to do this and have him at our level?

We have a co-op game going, 3 people, we are level 4 or 5 right now. Another friend wants to join, is there any way to do this and have him at our level?

He can take control of your fourth character, whomever that is. If he doesn't like the origin character currently taking up your fourth party slot, you could always drop that character and recruit a different one of the avaialable ones.

I think that's your only option, though. I think he could also create a (customized?) henchman in act 2, who are non-origin, blank slate characters.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone run into this, what I assume is a bug, in act 2?

As I understand it, Tarquin is supposed to leave the ship and offer a quest,
same with Gareth. Tarquin sits on the boat not leaving. Gareth has just vanished from my game (he is not on the boat, or at his parents house, or the supposed house where is supposed to be interrogating a Johnathan ... whom I actually just killed at the blackpits.

Reivaxe

Would You Mind giving a summary? We have many posters asking for good build advice, and it'd be interesting to see a build preventing you from advancing. Are you on tactician?
You got me thinking ... the only ones I GAVE more skills to were My Ninja Sebille and my Lohse who started out as a caster but I gave her summoning cause her default water lightening shit didn't cut it dmg wise. Now she's pretty much support until I can make a DPS summoner respec.

The reason I did that is because I want to replace the hunter guy (he seems boring) and the Red Prince maaaaybe (my main is Sebille and I don't like his view on slavery.) and I didn't want to waste spell books on them. Kept them both their defaults and only boosted armor and weapons. Gave the ranger a reg bow recently to ...

Maybe I should replace them and start working on getting my Necro/ Cleric and maybe make something else to.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
There's some issues with gear that grants skills sometimes, especially when you have the skill learned too. For example if I equip an item that gives me a skill that I've learned but for which I don't meet the requirements(say having 1pt Pyrokinetic for Clear Mind which I got from the elf passive), the skill appears on my bar but cannot be used. I've read stories of people unequipping an item and losing their spells too.

Try unequiping, using the mirror, and re-equipping, and using a teleport book to learn the skill again or something like that.

I'll try all of that, thanks. I can board the Vengeance once I dock after the
Dallis fight
right?

Reposting:

Need some guidance on the 3 Altars quest in Act 2. Preferably as non-spoilery as possible.

I can't help but feel like I've made a huge mistake praying at all 3 altars. The way they left things at the last altar makes me feel like this could bite me in the ass down the line.

My question: Did I indeed make a huge mistake and should I reload?

Anyone have some advice on this one?

I have a pretty bad habit while playing this game. After leveling up or playing for a couple of hours or so, I go back to the town to check new item from the vendors. And it doesn't stop there as there are so many vendors in the game. From the Driftwood square, I proceed to the vendors in undertavern, then the ship, all the way the vendors in the forest including the paladin outpost. I end up upgrading my gear very often, but I still have lots of gold to spare. I enjoy it though so I'm not complaining. However, this habit of mine seems contribute to a lot of my playtime.

Top Bottom