• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 Sales are to a Good Start

StereoVsn

I am loving D:OS 2, it's an incredible game, and folks are enjoying it quite a bit in the thread here on GAF as well as elsewhere on the intrawebs. Steamspy is reporting over 300K sales. Even once you take into account Kickstarter, that's still great considering the game has just released a few days ago and it's on a single, albeit awesome, platform, namely PC :p.

This also brings to a point that isometric, turn-based RPGs can absolutely sell pretty well (relatively speaking, not talking GTA here) if the game in question is good. Anyway, hats off to Larian, and hopefully everyone (with an ok, not even great gaming PC) can enjoy this amazing game.

SteamSpy Link: http://steamspy.com/app/435150/
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/435150/Divinity_Original_Sin_2/
Great overview/review in progress from RPS:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

Peak concurrent players is at 75k, which is 3 times higher than the original game and ten times higher than the EE.

I'm sure Larian is quite pleased.

Edit for context:
That number puts it at the highest of any crpg, with next highest being Pillars of Eternity at 41k to concurrent.

Rad-

Deserved. Might be my GOTY. Big improvement over the first one. I have some complaints about the balance but I bet there will be plenty of balance mods eventually.

Also the game runs really well even on crap PCs. My 4 year old laptop runs this okay.

Nyx

Good news for consoles too.
I definitely want to play this game but prefer to do that on PS4 like the first one.

Peak concurrent players is at 75k, which is 3 times higher than the original game and ten times higher than the EE.

I saw this too and was gobsmacked. Publishers told us top-down turn-based RPGs are dead but this proves otherwise. I'm really happy with Larian, they've definitely made the best CRPG ever imo.

StereoVsn

Good news. I'll probably get it once I actually finish the first game.

Here is the thing. It's set over 1000 years in the future and the game improves the first one by quite a bit. There is really no reason to finish the first one. Grab OS 2, play it and you can always come back to the first one to check it out :).

I definitely want to play this game but prefer to do that on PS4 like the first one.

Eh, I would say PC is still the best way to play the game. Larian did an amazing job with the console interface but its still a console interface for an isometric turned-based games with complex combat that was designed for KBM originally. It plays well on PS4 (the first game) but if you have an OK gaming PC (doesn't even have to be that beefy), its worth grabbing the game VS waiting a year.

That said, since sales are pretty great I am sure we will see Divinity: OS 2 on consoles.

corin7

Neo Member
Well deserved. 30 hours in and already confident it's one of the best RPGs I played in a while.

Agreed I loved what the first game was doing but the story just didn't get it's claws into me. Dropped 7 hours straight on the second one today and can't wait to get back to it.

Santiako

Really, really happy for Larian. They've been making amazing games for 15 years now and it seems that they've finally broken through the mainstream community.

game is amazing for the few hours I played today with friends.

We're all playing skeletons and it's super fun to change mechanics of how you played the first game where now you WANT to get poisoned hahaha.

Fantastic game, simply the best RPG this year, and definitely my Steam GOTY.

Though that 300k number is still too early to tell. If you look at the jump from the 14 to 15, and to 16, it could be already at 400k right now.

Great job Larian! I'm so happy it's working out for you!

For me, too. If only it weren't so hard to schedule co-op hours I'd be dumping whole days into D:OS2 already.

Instro

Well deserved. I've only put in a few hours, but it certainly seems like an excellent sequel. That's 300k with there being only ~40k from kickstarter. Pretty great that so many are jumping in at full price.

Osahi

Great job from Larian. As a fellow Ghentian (though they moved to Oudenaarde iirc, and have studio's around the world now) it makes me proud. Shame I don't have the time, nor the PC, as I'd love to play it myself.

I do still have the original in my PS4 backlog. Waiting for the right time (meaning: actually having the time to dig in) to fire it up.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Awesome.
It's a terrific game and Larian deserves all the money in the world. They and CD project are the most customer friendly devs I can think of right now

Maximo

I just started Divinity OS:EE. Should I skip it and go to Divinity 2?

Didn't play the first I feel like I have missed out on some of the finer details people in the world more or less assume you already know the world, apart from that the story is self contained.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
I didn't get very far in the first on the PS4, something about the control scheme was just a major turn off. Now I have a laptop I am all aboard on the second game, and will probably grab the first again down the line.

Mr. Tibbs

After everything Larian's been through, it's fantastic to see an independent studio develop and self-publish an incredibly successful game. They're such a killer studio and they deserve the very best. I can’t think of a better public face for a games company than Swen Vincke. He seems like a such a genuine, talented guy.

Swen: "It’s very cool but we’ve never seen this for one our games so we weren’t prepared for it all"

DJ3myy-WsAAcu6D.jpg

Same, really looking forward to it.

Regardless I'm happy they are doing well. I love these style of games and Larian just seem like good folks.

I'm still in the first zone and i can't say enough how it's a net improvement over the first one, on every level, especially the story and atmosphere.
I think it will stay as a western rpg legend. It's sad that many people won't try it because of the isometric style. It will be interesting to see a graph of the demographic that bought the game. I suspect that most are on the old side.

Durante

I've "only" played 12 hours so far, but I'm pretty sure this is my game of the year.

Oh,nice! So the numbers are accurate! Awesome!
That's not really how SteamSpy works. It always has a 3-day statistical mean lag, regardless of how long the game has been out. So we still need to wait a day or two to see the full launch sales impact (for sales which already happened). That said, it has certainly been successful.

KonradLaw

Nice. I hope that increased popularity and better tools will fix the only real downside the first one had, which is that it never managed to have a big active modding community.

I never considered buying a Divinity game since Divine Divinity was released. The games just looked unappealing and derivative to me. It always seemed there were better options to choose from like Diablo II and the Black Isle RPG's.
That impression lasted untill recently: I've been watching Dansgaming play Divinity Original Sin 2 and I love what I've been seeing. The writing is really well done and the turn-based combat looks awesome. Basically it looks like an extraction of everything that makes CRPG's great.

I decided to buy the game after browsing the user reviews on Steam. Finished downloading last night and I'm exciting to dive in.

Speely

Banned
I've "only" played 12 hours so far, but I'm pretty sure this is my game of the year.

It's amazing how much this game gets right. It feels like Larian went in being accutely aware of what has been done poorly in similar games, including their own.

I think it's the best iso rpg I have ever played in regard to the mechanics. I am in awe. What a feat.

Sakwoff

I never considered buying a Divinity game since Divine Divinity was released. The games just looked unappealing and derivative to me. It always seemed there were better options to choose from like Diablo II and the Black Isle RPG's.
That impression lasted untill recently: I've been watching Dansgaming play Divinity Original Sin 2 and I love what I've been seeing. The writing is really well done and the turn-based combat looks awesome. Basically it looks like an extraction of everything that makes CRPG's great.

I decided to buy the game after browsing the user reviews on Steam. Finished downloading last night and I'm exciting to dive in.

Funny thing is, even good ol' Divine Divinity was already far from the Diablo clone it was often derided as back then. (Because it looks like it at first glance I guess?)

It already had all the Ultima7-esque world interactivity for instance.

Larian have always been doing fine work. Glad they're finally getting the recognition they deserve. (Also glad they're still around because damn...)

Happy to see it do well, Divinity is in a league of its own when it comes to combat so hopefully that'll be a big boon for Larian.

Top Bottom