• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam’s new storage manager will show you where your game’s gigabytes are

martino

Overhaul of the storage manager is near and it seems it will be a lot easier to list games on them and move content between them.
Use of this will explode with ssd becoming mandatory if you own lot of steam games.

library2.jpg

i'm not a steam purist because i have no real use of any steam features so far .This one could be the first weighting in the balance.

00_Zer0

I have way too many games on Steam and I'm always looking at ways to save on space. I have a 1 gig ssd and 2 gig ssd and I try to keep them lean and clutter free. This will go a long way in helping me decide what to keep installed and what to get rid of, especially if I don't return to a certain game all that much.

martino

Are people installing games on multiple drives? I have always had a "GAMES" drive and just manage that through the STEAM library.
yes i have a hdd drive (4to) , a sshd drive (2to) and sata ssd (1to).
my games always start on the ssd since i have it then i move them on the sshd or hdd depending on how stressfull on i/o i think they are.
on my next build i plan to only have 2 drives a 8to ssd and 2 or 4to nvme ssd.

Are people installing games on multiple drives? I have always had a "GAMES" drive and just manage that through the STEAM library.
Yes. In my case, I install older titles to an external HDD so they can be portable if needs be while more intensive, modern titles I keep local to an SSD.

Yes i have 4x 256 GB ssd+ 512 one (recovered from various notebooks etc).

I could upgrade to like 1 new big one but why throw away perfectly fine hardware.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah. I keep games that could benefit from an M.2 on my C drive, and everything else on my 8tb hdd.

Yes, even one game can spill over into multiple drives. Some games have so many mods that you might as well dedicate an entire 1TB drive for it.
I ran out of space for other games on my NVMe even after compression, so cleared about 190GB worth of mods I wasn't using and still had to shift some of this game over on to a second HDD.

ArKOAPc.jpg
M56XK5l.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom