• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 Sales are to a Good Start

Gothos

The release sales aren't that great according to Steam stats. 70k copies sold in the first few days. Most people bought it during early access :)

Mr. Tibbs

The release sales aren't that great according to Steam stats. 70k copies sold in the first few days. Most people bought it during early access :)

That's 70k simultaneous players on Steam, not sales. It's a number that any developer would be thrilled with.

Mivey

That's not how Steamspy works. To get reliable data for 14/09, you need to wait 3 days, so the result for 17/09 will be interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if it rises another 30K, making for an estimate of 100K sales on launch day, combined with the 230K before. Even if we reduce the backers from these numbers, that would still make for 300K sales at full price. And that's just up until day one. This will easily make money for two new Divinity games.

Mr. Tibbs

No, sales. Game had 230k owners on Steam before release date.

Are the Steamspy numbers even accurate yet? It's only been in full release for a couple of days.

Either way, it's topped GOG and is still number 2 on the top global sellers chart for Steam, and the player count shows a huge number of people are playing it. It's probably exceeded Larian's expectations.

Nikodemos

Funny thing is, even good ol' Divine Divinity was already far from the Diablo clone it was often derided as back then. (Because it looks like it at first glance I guess?)

It already had all the Ultima7-esque world interactivity for instance.
People saw third-person mouse-controlled real-time combat and never looked beyond.

Divine Divinity had auto-attack, something Blizzard actively avoided.

Staf

Does this game have co-op like the first one? The GF and i had a blast couch co-oping the first one. We even had a drinking game when we played a weekend once. Drink everytime you hear the cheese guy yell: "No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!". We ended up quite drunk despite trying to avoid him lol.

Amaducias

Neo Member
Does this game have co-op like the first one? The GF and i had a blast couch co-oping the first one. We even had a drinking game when we played a weekend once. Drink everytime you hear the cheese guy yell: "No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!". We ended up quite drunk despite trying to avoid him lol.

It does, i'm playing it with my GF as well :) Works just the same like in the previous game, even a little bit smoother :)

MikeBison

I wish them all of the success. Seem like an incredibly passionate developer, making the best game they can in a niche genre. But fans are responding. I think there's definitely enough room for a few of these games. Divinity/pillar/Torment/Wasteland etc. Seems like Larian are doing the most to push that genre forward from the games that came before.

It really is fucking excellent and was a huge decider in me finally building a PC. Loving my time with it. And that's as someone who's 27 and never really played PC games in his youth so doesn't have a reverence for when the genre was at its height.

Doing my best to spread to the word. Anyone into RPGs in general should try it. One of the first games I've played that really makes good on the 'do things whatever way you want, we aren't holding your hand' promise.

People saw third-person mouse-controlled real-time combat and never looked beyond.

Divine Divinity had auto-attack, something Blizzard actively avoided.

I would add the UI, aesthetics, font and character select screen as well. Larian primarily has themselves to thank for the Diablo comparison.

I think the game is going to be a big success, word of mouth is already stellar and I'm expecting great reviews. But more than anything, I can't think of any other game that offers what this game does right now.

Played the game for two hours yesterday and regretted everything. Does it get any better than a billion empty crates and a billion lines of dialogue that have no real impact?
The combat was OK at least. Do you get more than just the 4 spells per skill? Don't really want to play any more since it would take me past being able to refund it.
Edit: this is someone who really enjoyed NWN as a kid, and played Temple of Elemental Evil. Never touched Baldurs Gate or anything though.
Edit edit: interestingly, I have more friends playing this on steam than PUBG. Though that's obviously because of the circles I run in, not because it's more popular.

I think the game is going to be a big success, word of mouth is already stellar and I'm expecting great reviews. But more than anything, I can't think of any other game that offers what this game does right now.

Indeed. Divinity: Original Sin is one of a kind and it's pitiful that lots of people are sleeping on these games due to trivial things.

People often asked for something new/unique from the gaming industry. And yet when there's one they don't even give an interest.

Werd

I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit (or until I have a weekend with noting to do and cave), but good to see and glad it seems to have turned out well. The first game was one of my favorite campaigns in recent years, and one of the rare exceptions where I went for all the achievements to keep playing it.

About 10 hours in with co-op with 4 players and this hands down might be the best CRPG I've ever played. Can't wait to dig back in later, congrats on the sales Larian as well that concurrent count for this genre is crazy.

Artdayne

Divinity Original Sin 1 is in my top 10 all-time favorite games and this looks to end up higher. I'm still early into the game but they've definitely made some noticeable improvements. Really about the only complaint I have is with the early difficulty of tactician mode.

Sjefen

Really looking forward too playing this game, loved the first game(played it twice which I never usually do). But need to reduce my backlog before I buy more games.

Great news. The first one was so good I can imagine more people ready to buy this sight unseen instead of it slowly growing via great word of mouth like the first game. I can't wait to play it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
If any studio were deserving of success, then it's definitely Larian. Great to see that their hard work and passion paid off.

Poster#1

You don't have to play D:OSEE to 'understand' D:OS2.

Divnity 1 is a pretty good RPG too, but they aren't connected by story at all save some minor lore nods.

Didn't play the first I feel like I have missed out on some of the finer details people in the world more or less assume you already know the world, apart from that the story is self contained.

Absolutely not, DOS is fucking incredible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a nonce.

No you shouldn't skip it, the first is a brilliant game. Take your time and get 2 later.

Thanks for the replies. I'll continue playing DOS1 and get 2 later :).

Shredderi

Man I want to jump in since I have a few friends who bought it as well, but it's pretty pricey at the moment (propably justifiably so) and there is TEW2, Wolfenstein and Destiny 2 all coming next month and they're all pretty much day ones for me :(

~Cross~

Excellent game, even If Im spending more time in the boat at the start of it because I'm paralyzed by class decisions

StereoVsn

Excellent game, even If Im spending more time in the boat at the start of it because I'm paralyzed by class decisions
You should do the same as the rest of us. Pick one, get to Ft Joy and rinse/repeat! ;)

I have been enjoying some co-up as well as solo play. It's even better/smoother then the first game. I must say though that I am staying away from tactician until some mods balance it down a bit as it's kind of BS right now.

Hopefully sales continue to be strong. I think that especially if DM mode catches on and gets picked up by some streamers that could be a great boon to further sales. Has anyone try that mode yet? I am having too much of a good time in the regular game so haven't even gotten close to testing it out.

Larian have always been doing fine work. Glad they're finally getting the recognition they deserve. (Also glad they're still around because damn...)

Seriously they were under-appreciated for so long, even among CRPG enthusiasts, it is truly heartwarming to see them get this kid of success.

No, sales. Game had 230k owners on Steam before release date.

Worth pointing out that EA essentially acted as a pre-load. No way to preorder or preload without getting EA. 40k of their sales came in the 3 weeks leading up to release.

SystemBug

Really want to give this game a shot, just wondering do I have to be familiar with the story of the first Divinity or can I jump in blind?

Tommyhawk

Really want to give this game a shot, just wondering do I have to be familiar with the story of the first Divinity or can I jump in blind?

The game is set roughly 1200 years after the events of Original Sin 1.
There are some references here and there but nothing world-changing.

So you will be fine (Original Sin 1 is still an awesome game though and very much worth playing).

AJLma

Deserved. Best RPG I've played in the last few years, and if it can keep it up til the end, it might end up in my top 5 all time.

Lanrutcon

The initial segment of the game is super rough. Not so much a difficulty curve as "fuck you lol". I'd be interested in the refund numbers.

StereoVsn

Because of the free Enhanced Edition [complete revamp, new content, full VO, new ending, new modes explorer/classic/tactician, full controller support etc.] for the owners.
It's been on sale for $12-15 before (depending on the platform).

Sillverrr

Kickstarted it. This is absolutely the sort of labour of love that brings a smile to my face, in this day and age of bigger studios trying to rip us off with microtransactions. Given Larian's sense of humour, they should lampoon loot boxes somewhere in there :)

Staf

They are hitting a new all time high peak. 82 416. Couldn't be happier for Larian studios and Swen.

I'm replaying the first one right now as I have not finished it on tactician yet. I'll probably get the sequel after I finish this playthrough.

Absolutely loving it, it's gripping me in a way that 1 never did (I think the first town dragging on just slowed my momentum too much.) This is easily tied for my goty with Nier. All I want to do is keep playing.

kswiston

Peak concurrent players is at 75k, which is 3 times higher than the original game and ten times higher than the EE.

I'm sure Larian is quite pleased.

Edit for context:
That number puts it at the highest of any crpg, with next highest being Pillars of Eternity at 41k to concurrent.

Assuming you discount Skyrim from being a CRPG, since it was in the 300k concurrent range.

Mivey

I just started Divinity OS:EE. Should I skip it and go to Divinity 2?
Once you fall in love with it, you will be even more impressed how the second one improves on it in every respect.
But story wise, the first one is kind of generic saving the world stuff. Nothing you need to know for OS 2.
It's OS 2 that actually fits into the lore of the older Divinity games. I'm assuming that Divinity OS 3 (or whatever they end up calling it) will actually be a sequel to the latest game in the chronology, so far all the Original Sin games have been prequels of some kind, not that I really mind.

Think they said a console port would be determined if the sequel did well on pc. Thats cool! Game looks amazing, might do a double dip!

Probably not the best spot to ask

Tips for playing the first one? I just picked it up on sale on the PSN Picks sale, any advice for a new player?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just add in naked people jumping from a sky ship to find weapons and kill each other in isometric view and you can watch the money roll in.

I'm glad to hear it is doing so well, I've never gotten around to finishing the first one despite it being amazing. Is the DnD aspect available from launch or is that coming later?

Top Bottom