• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

After a long Fallout 4 break, I put some time in the game. A little bit of playing reminded me of all that is great about this game, and that which is lacking. The combat is just turn-based (near) perfection. My 3 character party (lone wolf warrior, two mages) continues to destroy things on normal/classic difficulty. On the other side of things, my inventory was a damn mess, so I had to spend a good chunk of time fixing that, then I got stuck in an area, trying to find these tiny fucking buttons.

hemtae

new patch is up on steam

http://steamcommunity.com/games/373420/announcements/detail/55531004941872305

• On-screen notifications improved
  • Added range to grenade tool-tips
  • Added correct feedback to use of certain skills in skills menu and hotbar
  • Added feature that allows you to equip items from other characters in your party via equipment screen (controller only)
  • Added henchman class icons to henchmen list
  • Added several missing sound events
  • Improved scrolling in several interfaces
  • Improved default sound levels
  • Changed collecting behaviour for stacked items inside containers
  • Fixed input issue with identifying items
  • Fixed issue that could block connectivity to local host on startup and new game
  • Fixed UI issues in options menu
  • Fixed graphical issues in endgame level
  • Fixed camera issues during combat
  • Fixed character assignment issues
  • Fixed item names flickering when a lot of loot is on the screen
  • Fixed various UI issues related to text not fitting in message-boxes
  • Fixed blocking issue related to loading while several characters are in dialog/listening mode
  • Fixed Combat flow issue
  • Fixed issue with cancelling an action removing sneak mode
  • Fixed usability issues with picking up items near player characters
  • Fixed issue with disappearing statuses during combat
  • Fixed stuck camera input when ending turn
  • Fixed game freezing when joining lobby twice
  • Fixed update of tool-tips when identifying
  • Fixed crafting with ingredients in containers
  • Fixed destruction of disarm toolkit when cancelling action
  • Fixed camera focus issue during the play at the fair in Cyseal
  • Fixed loyalty issue between AI personality and main player
  • Fixed issue with skill requirement if you already have the skill from a wand
  • Fixed compare with offhand weapon in inventory and trade
  • Fixed pick up issue related to weight and stacked items
  • Fixed general problem with getting stuck in dialog
  • Fixed issue that combat music would stop when disconnecting a controller
  • Fixed shambling mound wand recipe
  • Fixed several localization issues
  • Fixed Multiplayer crash related to host having player profile window open
  • Fixed wands sometimes not adding skill to hotbar
  • Fixed issues with text not fitting on several screens
  • Fixed henchman filters
  • Fixed crash related to having too many items in player inventories and trader inventories (savegames should load now)
  • Fixed Hortun and Charla quest not ending correctly (Phantom Forest)
  • Fixed crash when closing the game
  • Fixed getting stuck when dying with a shovel in hand
  • Fixed wrong alignments with certain NPC's (usually in the End of Time)
  • Fixed several issues related to magic mirror in End of Time region
  • Fixed issues with exploding corpses
  • Fixed Mouse leaving screen in full screen mode
  • Fixed possible crash while using pickpocket

Only thing I really wanted patched was the combat music stopping after the first time. Seems to still do that. It's strange how silent it is in the longer fights, and the music is good, too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I got a free copy of Divinity while I was at PSX and started playing a couch coop game with my buddy.

We're both old school CRPG fans, so having the ability to play coop is fucking awesome. We're really digging it.

So after the obvious was pointed out to me the end was a breeze.

My thoughts:

I haven't played a turn based game in a while so this was welcome. I LOVED the combat. The importance of elements and general importance of one's surroundings were great. I thought the story was good. Not great but good. Visually I liked it as well. I enjoyed the settings I got to explore. It took me a little to figure character progression, but I enjoyed this was well. I liked that experience wasn't abundant but rather something you had to make sure every bit was acquired. Side quests were important for this reason. My only complaint was that I felt the end game was actually less challenging that the beginning. My having to figure things out a little probably helped here, but braccus Rex was was way more difficult for me than the end game fights.

All in all great game though

Which ones? The female guard that sits at the table couldn't identify them and another vendor at a stall that sells skill books couldn't either. So I went back to Hunter's Edge and that Orc could. Do you get someone in your Homestead eventually?
r.

Weird. I sold everything to the street vendor who sold magic scroll. It was close to the north towns waypoint

lt519

Just finished myself too, fantastic game. Loved all of it but can't help but think I didn't really approach the end game right. The fights never got difficult but I wasn't steam rolling everything as many implied I would in normal mode. I did find that getting my starting AP up and being able to cast some of the Master AOE (non-cone) skills did absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage, but that didn't happen until towards the end. If I could have gotten there earlier, maybe with Glass Cannon, it would have trivialized a lot of things. I never crafted or used potions either.

I think I could roll through on a harder mode with everything I've learned (not wasting points anywhere, tactics, etc) but after pumping 70 hours into this doing everything I'm tapped out (and I mean literally everything, all trophies except the difficulty ones, lone wolf and two companions that didn't go my way). I'd have to use the environment more though, I relied pretty heavily on disabling enemies individually instead of setting up the environment.

It was interesting reading about the game and seeing how they've tweaked it. I didn't find my two mages to be over-powering and I actually found my Archer (who was relatively weak since it was a converted Scoundrel) to be one of my most useful party members. The warrior was great for crowd control using the battering ram and the crushing fist thing. By the end the amount of damage she could dish out with the Master skill was insane.

Definitely my favorite RPG of this and last console generation and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Nick Pal

Not sure if there are any screenshotters in this thread but anyone figure out a way to get rid of the HUD..probably impossible without a cheat engine and Gedosato's obviously out of the question with it being DX11.

HF2014

Might ask for this game for Xmas from my fiance, but wondering, does the PS4 version get the same patch the PC version does?

there's a weird glitch in
Hiberheim
where there's a dead imp with a clickable chain, if you right or left click the chain
where the jail cells are and dead imps everywhere
you will lose all control of your characters and unable to click to move or anything of the sorts unless you hit ESC and wait for the delay for the menu to pop up

A-V-B

Can someone give me a quick summation of what this game's like? Gameplay? Story?

I want to get into it, but without a better feel I'm not sure what I would be getting into.

lt519

Can someone give me a quick summation of what this game's like? Gameplay? Story?

I want to get into it, but without a better feel I'm not sure what I would be getting into.

Story starts out as a murder mystery that escalates into a the entire world is in danger from dark forces. Humans, orcs, imps, wizards, dark magic, monsters, etc. Pretty standard fare, but it has some decent humor, and it was still executed well.

The gameplay is very much like a Tactical RPG with a team of 4. You have turn based movements on a battlefield in which the environment plays a heavy factor (kind of the calling card of this game I'd say). Turns occur in order of speed of you characters and enemies, so it's not good guys move then bad guys move. Movement is free-form and not limited to grids. Your characters are pretty standard Mage, Warrior, Rogue, etc but you can fully customize them and make a Mage that's also capable of dual-wielding and using daggers. So very very flexible, also a bit overwhelming in the sheer number of attributes, talents, and abilities you can put points in, etc. No random encounters and once you've defeated an enemy it persists throughout the game. You can murder entire villages if you decide you really want to, it's pretty "open world-ish."

The progression of the game is also very muddled, you aren't really given markers so you have to figure everything out yourself through the dialogue and environment. This can get extremely difficult at times. There are plenty of guides if you are intimidated by that and get stuck.

My playthrough was about 70 hours, and fairly difficult on Normal difficulty. There is an easier difficulty if you don't want to be too concerned about making bad character builds that aren't too useful. If you try and play the game as a modern RPG and just brute force your way through by level or equipment you'll get squashed. You have to understand status buffs/debuffs and how to use the environment to your advantage. Most modern RPGs you can ignore these things and be fine, but not here. Terminology can be rough if you don't understand old RPGs such as Throws (change to save against a debuff), etc.

For the rest of the thread: decided to re-play the final encounter with just my two main characters to get the Lone Wolf trophy, was harder to keep the AI alive than it was to win the fight, but I did it. Just shows didn't even need a second mage or a warrior with how powerful I was by the end.

Anyone seen this modifier pop up? and does this mean it's adding 1 action point a turn or cost it?
NCl1XpX.jpg

Arkanius

Guys has the Enhanced Edition revamped the game beyond Cyseal?
I found the first map pretty well made and tight and a joy to play in... the following game, not so much.

Since the saves are not retrocompatible, I'm wondering if I should restart or continue with my normal edition :(

Guys has the Enhanced Edition revamped the game beyond Cyseal?
I found the first map pretty well made and tight and a joy to play in... the following game, not so much.

Since the saves are not retrocompatible, I'm wondering if I should restart or continue with my normal edition :(

prefer EE just for grenades alone

amardilo

This is on sale on the Xbox Store and on the buy 1 get 1 free offer on PSN but I'm not sure if I should get this on the Xbox One or PS4. I guess PC would be the best option as it could do 60fps but I don't have a PC so I can't get it on that.

Are both console versions identical? Are there any frame rate or resolution or any other differences (minor or major) between the 2 versions?

If they are both exactly the same I'd probably get it on Xbox One as I have more spare disk space (thanks to external drives) on that than on my PS4.

Lanrutcon

Wrapped up Tactician mode tonight. Some thoughts:

- The combat system is terribly, obscenely breakable. With a rudimentary understanding of moving objects, teleports, party splitting, triggers and how dialogue works in combat you can break virtually every fight in the game. I finished the majority of the fights in the game without the enemy getting a turn. The last two fights, for example, took a round each. Tactician mode is way too easy.

- Grenades are the most powerful thing in the game, so the Enhanced Edition is the easier of the two versions. If you're going for a 'hard' mode, set the restriction to not use any grenades.

- Divinity: OS 2 can't come soon enough. D:OS is in my top 5 rpgs of all time.

Orcastar

Just finished the game the other day. Definitely one of the best RPGs I've played in recent years. Enjoyed it a lot more than Pillars of Eternity, which I also played earlier this year.

My one complaint is that playing on normal difficulty the combat became much too easy towards the end, with the final battle in particular being a complete cake walk. The first 20 hours or so were quite challenging, but from then on I won practically every fight on my first try, even though I refrained from abusing teleport pyramids, barrels, dialogue and the like, and didn't even use grenades.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Jag

Finished my 2nd play through and I never ever play games twice. This time on Tactician. Still an amazing game, but tactician was not the challenge that I was hoping. Like the poster above, I finished the last 2 fights in 2 rounds or so.

I go out of my way to not game the system and still get my people killed from time to time. I also make sure I got more money then I need in case a good modifier shows up in shops

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Early pacing in this game is rough. Outside of the initial combat-tutorial area, this first town has just been two hours of lore-dump. While the writing is charming, it's starting to grate. Especially since they pile on all that time-weaving talk just when you're about to get somewhere in the initial murder investigation. It's just been way too text-heavy in the early game. Every conversation branches into another. My quest page is having a seizure from updates and I still haven't wacked a single damn thing with a sword.

The writing is good. The voicework too. But it's not so good that it can sustain my attention for hours without ever coming up for air. They should've held off on this trip to the edge of time and space imo... let players get their feet. I don't care enough about the world yet to mind if it's disappearing.

Towns, in the right hands, a wonderful tool for pacing. Or they can be quicksand.

This game is interesting enough that I will push through, as I'm sure it opens up, but the intro has been rough.

This game is exactly what I've been looking for in... forever. It is a slow build, trying to get some levels before you can really fight, but damn if it's not fun. The only fight I had some issues with was vs Braccus Rex, where he'd instantly do that fireball summon that would wipe me out. After i realized "Uh why don't i just separate my party and set them all up for the fight." things got easier. As you can see I love these games but I kind of suck at them. Anyway I'm in Hiberheim right now, and the game is fantastic, any other games like this out right now?

Alexm92

So I just encountered this really weird bug. I took Jahan out of party and put in someone else. After I did this and went to the Phantom Forest the game completely broke. Companions were all laggy and couldnt keep up, everything had like a 5 second delay and I mean everything. The game even crashed to desktop a couple times. When I loaded back to a point before I changed party members it was fine, then I did it again, went to Phantom Forest and the same thing happened started happening again. I then made too many autosaves and had to load back like 3 hours or else I would of lost Jahan from my party as whenever I hired him the game would break again. Anyone else experience this? So fucking annoying..

Update: After playing back the 2 hours I lost and not changing characters at all, the game has completely broke again. Some spells are not working, theres fireballs coming from nowhere and hitting me. Completely unplayable mess. One of my favorite games ever tainted by this shit. It hasnt happened at all for the whole game, after 95 hours of play and now that I'm on the last area I cant even finish the game. What a waste of time

Copper

Man I'm really glad I decided to give this game another chance. This game is just so much fun. I ended up sinking 30+ hours into it in the past 3 days. I love all the different things that the games engine allows you to do to the point where you practically break some parts.

For example for one boss/encounter I had to talk to this person and while I was talking to her I switched to a different character and teleported her way far away. It ended up making the fight easier. But it never would of came to mind unless I tried it.

Taborcarn

I uploaded a new steam controller config after I saw there was only one other public config (although I think public configure got wiped with the last firmware update).

It uses keyboard/mouse controls, with touch menu on the left pad for most menu screens and quick save. Most importantly, highlight items (left alt) is mapped to the left bumper.

It's uploaded as Taborcarn's EE touch menu config.

Bessy67

Just got this game and I can't get past the character selection screen, lol. Very overwhelming. Any suggestions to classes/skills?

Edit: Oops, OP has a lot of good tips on this stuff. Kinda thinking of going with Ranger/Mage for my created characters.

Just got this game and I can't get past the character selection screen, lol. Very overwhelming. Any suggestions to classes/skills?

Edit: Oops, OP has a lot of good tips on this stuff. Kinda thinking of going with Ranger/Mage for my created characters.

easy route have a mage with Pryo and Hydra and just summon sht
then have someone else be good with grenades

How do you beat the robot in the cave

got to have the remote tho it's far less effective as it use to be or use the switches for discharges

Altima

I have questions about coop mode.

We control 2 main characters. One for each players, right?

And we can go anywhere in the world separately?

What about difficulty of content if we go separately? Does it scale with number of our companion?

What size of party can each players have separately?

Annubis

I have questions about coop mode.

We control 2 main characters. One for each players, right?

Players control what they want. The pool of available characters are:
- The 2 Source Hunters
- 2 companions/hirelings (reduce this category by 1 for each Lone Wolf on your Source Hunters)

And we can go anywhere in the world separately?

Yes, split screen if far apart. You can be in 2 completely different maps or whatever without any issues.

What about difficulty of content if we go separately? Does it scale with number of our companion?

No, the difficulty is the same wether you are together or not. There is also no change in difficulty wether you have a party of 2, 3 or 4. From experience, I'd say a party of 4 is easier than 2 Lone Wolves.

What size of party can each players have separately?

You decide how you split the 2-4 characters.

I keep losing interest in this because I'm not yet levelled enough for the next part of the main quest and my quest log for secondary quests is so damn vague. I have a good dozen or so quests that don't have any direction at all. They're not even worded like a quest, merely something like 'We spoke to someone about something' or 'someone did this with that'. Ok, but what is it you want me to do??

I keep losing interest in this because I'm not yet levelled enough for the next part of the main quest and my quest log for secondary quests is so damn vague. I have a good dozen or so quests that don't have any direction at all. They're not even worded like a quest, merely something like 'We spoke to someone about something' or 'someone did this with that'. Ok, but what is it you want me to do??

it doesn't' try to force you do do anything outside the main quest and some stuff is non-linear as you can't even get to the next step without doing some main story thing

Abylim

So I just got this. A question!

Why can't I put another point in Man at Arms? Do I need to store up more points from levelling?

lt519

Just go out fighting things you are capable of defeating, you'll progress fine that way. If you run into something two levels above you go the other way.

The detailed answer is, each tier of a skill requires 1more point than the last. You need 2points for level 2, 3 for level 3 etc. So yeah you need to save up points. You get more points per level as you get higher though, like 1-5 is hmm, 1pt each or something, then 6-10 is 1more per level and 11+ is 1more again or whatever, I forgot the exact pattern but it goes something like that. So once you're at higher levels you'll have a good amount of points to max a bunch of stuff. In general however plan to only max 2 to 3 things, then a bunch of points to get other stuff to 1-3. You can technically max 4skills, but you probably will want some random points into stuff instead as it's more efficient.

Ciri

Neo Member
Which talents are best for mages? thinking about glass-cannon but I'm afraid my mages will get destroyed against range enemies. Currently level 10 in 2nd town.

Which talents are best for mages? thinking about glass-cannon but I'm afraid my mages will get destroyed against range enemies. Currently level 10 in 2nd town.

Glass cannon isn't as great as it used to be, and generally speaking I wouldn't bother. The points you would put in speed you get for "free" from glass cannon, you'll want to put in constitution instead to increase max AP and compensate for health and the result is fairly similar in terms of investment, but you get terrible starting AP with glass cannon(unless you also go perception, but the stat is fairly useless on mages).

You want above all, Far reach, to increase range on all your spells, this is great and definitely the must have for any mage. Elemental Affinity is ok, it's not great unless you setup specifically for it(but that wastes AP in general), but once in a while it'll do great. Specifically if you make it rain on top of yourself you'll get the AP reduction on water spells, and if you get hit you'll generally stand in your own blood, reducing AP for witchcraft.

Other than these 2, you have general talents like Bigger and Better(+1 attribute), All Skilled Up(+2 skill points) and Know it All(+1int but decrease to reputation, not great if the char is the char you do your shopping with but otherwise doesn't matter at all). I would take Bigger and Better for sure but the others are so so.

You also have utility stuff, specifically Light Stepper for perception checks, Pet Pal for all the animal stuff and Scientist if you want to make a mage your crafter(I would say not the best idea since mages can use all their points in spell stuff, while other chars often have spare points, but still).

Then you have school specific stuff if you have 5points. I'd say the Air one is the only one that actually matters though, Fire/Water are pretty poor and Earth is great if you get it very early but it only works in specific parts of the world, and not even that many.

Because mages don't have many "must haves", you can generally pick up a bunch of utility stuff for them instead of other chars. Also if it's one of your main chars, you could go Lone Wolf if you wanted, but losing one char tends to be a worse choice in my opinion with the removal of Lonewolf+Glass Cannon combo.

Top Bottom