• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC - Video/tabletop gaming podcast featuring Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer

cover_quarter.jpg

Official synopsis:

DLC is your weekly audio tour of the latest in video games and tabletop entertainment. Hosts Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer are joined every week by the best damn gaming experts on the planet as well as YOUR phone calls! Disagree, Like, or Comment by Direct Live Call-in or in the Designated Lobby Chat! It is the gaming show Decided by Listener Contribution. DLC, the Digital Lifestyle Companion for gamers who Don't Like Cynicism.

My synopsis:

I first heard Jeff and Christian on Weekend Confirmed so in a lot of ways this show feels like a continuation of that. The show comes out on Mondays and starts with the hosts (and sometimes a guest) sharing their Story of the Week and discussing (arguing about) the biggest and most important gaming news. They take calls from various internet people (and sometimes industry luminaries like Garnett Lee and John Davison). Towards the end, the show typically segues into a tabletop gaming discussion which fans of tabletop gaming discussions will surely enjoy.

Your hosts:

wnXAJqt.jpg

Jeff Cannata - @jeffcannata

c1adkLt.png

Christian "Stanky D" Spicer - @spicer

Links

Website
iTunes
RSS

Episodes

#1: Hippie Jeff • January 8, 2014 at 5:00pm • 1 hour 39 minutes
Jeff and Christian kick off the very first episode of DLC with a discussion of the Story of the Week. Christian thinks that the high sales numbers for both the PS4 and Xbox One are the biggest story, while Jeff is focused on CES, with the reveal of the Steam Machines, and the new prototype of the Oculus Rift topping his list.

They also discuss the new Alien game announced by Sega, and the Playstation Now steaming service. Jeff introduces a What If for what Halflife 3 could be and Christian imagines a world without Nintendo hardware. Then it is tabletop time, as Jeff recommends some digital board games, and gives his tabletop pick of the week with Gauntlet of Fools. All that, plus tons of live call in and a surprise guest! DLC's first episode kickoff show!

#2: Hey guys, makin a HALO movie, its gonna be DOOOOPE • January 13, 2014 at 4:00pm • 1 hour 44 minutes
Jeff and Christian are joined by Anthony Carboni from Rev3Games, who has some harsh words about the announcement of an offline single player mode for SimCity in Story of the Week. For some reason, Christian thinks a few tweets about Ridley Scott and a Halo movie is the big news, while Jeff is more interested in Sony's 14 for 14 sale and the Awesome Games Done Quick guys raising $1 million for charity. Anthony hips the guys to the arrival of the new Indie title. Nidhogg, and OlliOlli has everyone reminiscing about extreme sports games. Then, Jeff's got one of his very favorite board games to suggest for tabletop time in Power Grid. All that, plus your phone calls!

#3: William Shatner Mask • January 20, 2014 at 3:45pm • 1 hour 35 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome video game industry veteran John Davison from First for Gamers to DLC, and kick things off with a spirited discussion on the state of Nintendo in the wake of their disappointing sales forecast for the WiiU. Even better, Garnett Lee from Shacknews and Weekend Confirmed joins in on the debate, as the guys ask what would make you want to buy a WiiU. Christian thinks the delay of the Batman vs Superman film is a positive thing, while Jeff ponders a potential Superman video game. And Michael Myers in Call of Duty? The guys talk about the new mode and the idea of IP mashups. Then, in light of Hollywood award season, the guys imagine what might make for a great video game awards show. Finally, it is Tabletop Time! John has just gotten on board with the fantastic roll-and-move game, Formula D from Asmodee, while Jeff is still in love with the Brewster's Millions game, Last Will from Rio Grande Games. All that, plus your phone calls!

#4: Candy Massacre I through XIII • January 27, 2014 at 3:45pm • 1 hour 45 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Cory Banks, Managing Editor of PC Gamer to DLC this week. In the Story of the Week segment, Cory is intrigued by the news that Microsoft has secured the rights to Gears of War, and brought over the old series producer Rod Fergusson. Christian is more interested in the news that Microsoft paid YouTubers for positive Xbox One mentions, while Jeff is confused about the need for Candy Crush Saga to trademark the word "candy".

The guys talk PC gaming with Hearthstone, Might and Magic Legacy X, Day Z, and the idea of early access, and ask whether "finishable games" are on the way out?

Then it is Tabletop Time with a question about Dungeons and Dragons style games that don't require a large group. Jeff has many suggestions.

All that, plus your calls on this week's DLC!

#5: Kiss the Ring • February 3, 2014 at 3:15pm • 1 hour 42 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome one of the most knowledgeable people in board games to the show, Tom Vasel from The Dice Tower. They start with Story of the Week, in which Tom discusses the backlash against Games Workshop for their combative consumer practices in the wargaming miniatures space. Christian argues that the biggest story of the week is the discussion going on over "quality control" on Steam, which leads Jeff to discuss his experience this week with Divinity: Original Sin on Early Access. But Jeff's real Story of the Week is more Nintendo news, as Iwata outlines some interesting plans for the house of Mario going forward.

Then, it is a special, extended Tabletop Time with Tom Vasel! Tom pulls back the curtain on an exciting upcoming game that combines Magic: The Gathering, Quarriors, and Marvel superheroes, called Dice Masters - and it has Jeff drooling. Jeff gives his review of new board games, Lost Legends and Trains, and the guys discuss Tom's own co-design, Nothing Personal, as well as the idea of designer board games going mainstream. All that, plus your phone calls!!

#6: 2nd Place is the First Loser • February 11, 2014 at 9:30am • 1 hour 44 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Giant Bomb's Scoops himself, Patrick Klepek to DLC this week, and he's the perfect guy to bring up his pick for Story of the Week, the Flappy Bird saga. Not only is Patrick a great video game news man, he also gave a TED X talk about Internet discourse, which makes for the perfect context to discuss Flappy Bird.

Christian brings up the acquisition of game developer Double Helix by Amazon, and what that might mean for a potential upcoming Amazon home console. Jeff is more interested in the recently concluded DICE conference, its Awards, and one DICE talk in particular, focusing on the value of virtual goods in EVE: Online. That leads the guys into discussing Peter Molyneaux's indictment of the new free-to-play version of his own game, Dungeon Keeper, and the news that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros will only be 2 hours long.

Jeff and Patrick have been playing - and loving - Threes on iOS, and a listener wonders how Patrick gets his "scoops". Then, it is Tabletop Time, and Jeff discusses his very favorite game of all time, Le Havre. All that, plus your phone calls!

#7: Blah, Blah, Blah, Titanfall • February 17, 2014 at 3:30pm • 1 hour 49 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Garnett Lee from Weekend Confirmed and 1up Yours to DLC. For his Story of the Week pick, Garnett has NPD numbers and more that lead him to believe that Microsoft might be in danger of falling far behind Sony in the console race. Christian is more disturbed by the proposed Comcast acquisition of Time Warner and what that might mean in absence of Net Neutrality. But Jeff is just too excited about his playtime in the Titanfall Beta to think anything other that that could be SotW. He gushes about piloting giant robots, hacking specters, and double jumping his way around the maps. The guys debate the merits of multiplayer-only games, the danger of micro-transactions in the form of Burn Cards, and more as callers weigh in with their feelings on Titanfall, too. There is also the fact that thousands of people have been playing Pokemon together, and the announcement of a new FPS music game from Harmonix to discuss, before Tabletop Time. Jeff fills the guys in on his experience playing T'zolkin: The Mayan Calendar at Orc Con in Los Angeles, and discusses the evolution of worker-placement games. All that, plus the announcement of DLC's upcoming March Madness! Get your submissions for the tournament games in to dlcfeedback@gmail.com!

(Future episodes will be posted further on in the thread, as they come in.)

Phinor

The first few episodes were a bit rough, technical issues and all that, but it's getting better and better. Really liking the addition of tabletop compared to regular videogame podcasts. Also getting Tom Vasel so early (week five) was great. Just keep asking him back!

I only wish the podcast was slightly longer. Story of the week segment often takes half of the whole podcast.

Curufinwe

Dat Spicer photo.

I will actually listen to this now I know they leave the tabletop stuff for the end of the podcast.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Hello!

While I'll forever be associated w/ Stanky Dick & it's my own fault...to be fair, I had nothing to do w/the song. I had no part in writing it, do not rap in it and barly make a cameo "dancing" in video. It was made by two friends Greg & Billy.

Now...onto GAMES!!!!

Maulik

I was called on twice in the last episode. Felt like law school days when I hadn't prepared. Great show btw. Must have been the questions :p

Brokun

It has filled the aching maw that Weekend Confirmed has left behind. Really enjoying it and will keep subbed even after Garnett launches his next thing. Keep up the good work guys.

mik

mik is unbeatable
It's not really their fault, and I don't know how to solve it, but the phone calls are so, so bad. Stuff like "oh, I didn't think I'd get through, so I don't have a question or comment," just grind the show to an absolute halt.

graboids

I am enjoying this show, loved WC so its good to have something to fill the void... the phone call system needs some work, but I think they add to the show when they work out.

I really like the "story of the week" idea, each person submitting what they think is the big story is a cool approach...

at the end of this week's show I suddenly wanted to hear some Del Rio music though...

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Thanks Neuromancer for making this thread.

And thanks to all of you for listening. We will continue to try to improve the show every week. Open to your suggestions, comments, and ideas. Happy to continue to evolve it.

Also, excited about our March Madness. Like the old TRS movie segment, VS, I think it could result in some fun discussions. Hope you guys send in some picks to add to the pool at dlcfeedback@gmail.com

TheGrue

Damnit! I had created a reminder on my calendar for last week's show, but forgot to make it a weekly reminder, so I missed it live today. :( Love chatting with folks in the chat room while it's being recorded.

plake

Great OP. I just saw this today on Garnetts twitter feed so I will use it as a substitute for my Weekend Confirmed cravings. Hopefully both shows can co-exist in a busy schedule.

theRizzle

Hello!

While I'll forever be associated w/ Stanky Dick & it's my own fault...to be fair, I had nothing to do w/the song. I had no part in writing it, do not rap in it and barly make a cameo "dancing" in video. It was made by two friends Greg & Billy.

Now...onto GAMES!!!!

That was one of the last WC's I listened to. I laughed my ass off.

Curufinwe

It's not really their fault, and I don't know how to solve it, but the phone calls are so, so bad. Stuff like "oh, I didn't think I'd get through, so I don't have a question or comment," just grind the show to an absolute halt.

Talking to the audience is always death. Not that I expect nice guys like Jeff and Christina to do it, but I love the way the Kidd Chris show mocks the shit out of bad callers. No mercy for people who are wasting everyone's time.

LiK

Stop. Please. Tabletop gaming is a lot of fun and it's the best part of the new show. If you want video game talk there are plenty of other podcasts to listen to.

Hey, I don't force myself to listen to it. I just listen to their video game segments. I do the same thing with GWJ.

Dispatch

I think the reason why other call-in shows work is there's a screener for calls. It gives the person time to introduce himself or herself and state the topic of discussion. Based on what I've heard, it appears Jeff Cannata is taking the calls without screening. I know it might be cost prohibitive, but I think this might help the callers' questions and comments flow more with the conversation.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Stop. Please. Tabletop gaming is a lot of fun and it's the best part of the new show. If you want video game talk there are plenty of other podcasts to listen to.

I love tabletop games, but my problem is more with how it feels like the conversation kind of dies out during tabletop time as Spicer doesn't seem nearly as excited about it as Jeff, and the guest can really be hit or miss during that segment depending on their tabletop interest. But I'm not sure how it can be improved, and I still want it to remain.

entremet

Pro radio shows have call screeners to avoid this. But being a podcast they may not have those resources.

This happened with Retronauts too and it was hit and miss. Gamers need to work on their public speaking skills lol.

Deadstar

I love tabletop games, but my problem is more with how it feels like the conversation kind of dies out during tabletop time as Spicer doesn't seem nearly as excited about it as Jeff, and the guest can really be hit or miss during that segment depending on their tabletop interest. But I'm not sure how it can be improved, and I still want it to remain.

Yeah I didn't mean to be harsh in my reply but there are so many podcasts about video games, it's great to have one this entertaining that talks about board games as well. It is a little strange because Spicer doesn't really seem to have played any recent board games. Would be great if Jeff could introduce Spicer to a few basic games so he has an understanding and can discuss them better. Play some Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm, Dominion, 7 Wonders, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars and that should be enough experience to get more involved in the conversation. I started board gaming because of Jeff and found that it's probably more enjoyable to me than video games. Having your friends there and having that social interaction is very exciting.

It's only a few more episodes in but there's definitely room to improve. I think what could be fun is talking about the "stories" that come out of a game session. There's always a good story after each game.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
I think the reason why other call-in shows work is there's a screener for calls. It gives the person time to introduce himself or herself and state the topic of discussion. Based on what I've heard, it appears Jeff Cannata is taking the calls without screening. I know it might be cost prohibitive, but I think this might help the callers' questions and comments flow more with the conversation.

This is one of my big goals for the future of the show. It is tricky because the call-in system is handled by the 5by5 mothership. But I'm hoping if the show does well we can get someone involved who can screen calls. If you know of anyone who'd want to volunteer to do it every week let me know!

JeffCannata

Neo Member

Having Christian over this week to play games, and we will have guests now and then who are more into the hobby. The Tom Vasel episode was one where the tables (so to speak) were turned, and it was a less video game heavy show, and more tabletop stuff. I like the balance shifting back and forth depending on the guest.

But I'm hoping Chritian will get excited about board games. If not, that's ok, too.

Deadstar

Having Christian over this week to play games, and we will have guests now and then who are more into the hobby. The Tom Vasel episode was one where the tables (so to speak) were turned, and it was a less video game heavy show, and more tabletop stuff. I like the balance shifting back and forth depending on the guest.

But I'm hoping Chritian will get excited about board games. If not, that's ok, too.

The Tom Vasel episode was REALLY good! I like the idea of the show shifting back and forth depending on the guest. I think that makes sense.

Also hope Christian can get into the games. I don't know anyone who likes video games who hasn't had fun playing the board games I've introduced them to. There are so many different types you just have to find the ones you like the most.

Dispatch

I was listening to the Tom Vasel episode with moderate interest, until he mentioned the Marvel card/dice game. At that point, I stopped the podcast, walked into the living room and began to excitedly give my girlfriend a run down of the game.

So...maybe there's a (board) gamer waiting to break out.

I really like the format of the show. Hearing what people think about the big gaming news stories is the best part of any podcast for me, so I love that DLC starts with it rather than make me wait for the good stuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about the call ins. I like that it makes it seem like a proper radio show but as others have said a lot of callers seem unprepared to handle being on and don't really know what to say. Hopefully as the show continues they'll figure out a way to onboard them better.

Tabletop gaming isn't one of my biggest hobbies (I only play board games a few times a year with friends and that's about it) so I'm happy with it being the last segment in case I start to zone out.
3AQmK.gif

Keep up the good work guys.

theowne

Can I suggest to future callers, maybe don't call in if you have no question at all? That was probably the most cringe moment of my week.

Anyways, I agree with the two main points of constructive feedback: unscreened calls kill the momentum of the show, and board game chat is great but at the moment is a bit too much of a monologue which sort of defeats the appeal of a podcast (discussion, banter, etc).

I think the board game thing is not too hard to improve. Christian probably just needs to get a little bit more familiar with them, then he'll at least be able to play the role of the curious newbie against Jeff in a discussion.

The callers really need to be screened though. What would be best is if each caller had to identify the topic of their question, which would make it way easier to bring in callers that are not going to halt the discussion with some other topic. But I don't know how easy that would be to accomplish.

Xena

Hahaha when I was listening the latest episode at work yesterday, I also cringed when the caller didn't have anything to say... that's pathetic, why even bother stay on the line if you have no clue what to say? Seriously...

mik

mik is unbeatable
The trap that board game podcasts fall into (and I'm not saying DLC does--because I've only listened to two shows) is that they become a discussion strictly about rules and mechanics. It's like having the instructions read to you, in a way. And the times I've played board games, it's at about the halfway point of reading the instructions that everyone says, "aww screw it--we'll learn as we go."

If you can focus more on the social interactions or stories that come from playing the game, that's much more interesting--especially to people who might not necessarily love board games.

Curufinwe

It was kind of strange that Garnett talked about Respawn making a hypothetical 8-10 single player campaign. That's twice as long as the average COD campaign.

#8: Handplant or Eggplant • February 24, 2014 at 3:00pm • 1 hour 38 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Justin McElroy to the show, from Polygon.com, and the Sawbones and My Brother, My Brother, and Me podcasts. After noting the sad passing of Harold Ramis, Justin kicks off Story of the Week with Irrational Games' massive downsizing and new direction. Christian thinks the launch of the PS4 in Japan is the most important story, even despite hard data on sales, while Jeff looks at the UK price drop and Titanfall bundle of the Xbox One as a very important indicator of Microsoft's desire not to fall behind in the console war. The guys also discuss the new Netflix/Comcast payout, and the pseudo-announcement of new installments in three huge game franchises, The Last of Us, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, and Doom.

Then it is time to talk about what they've been playing, and Justin explains a new iOS game called Calculords, while Jeff professes his enthusiasm for Double Helix's Strider and the new indy Steam release, 99 Levels to Hell. Meanwhile, Christian loves the DLC for The Last of Us, Left Behind.

In Tabletop Time, Jeff finally got Christian to try a Euro board game, and he chose an excellent starter Euro, Wizard of the Coast's Lords of Waterdeep. They also discuss Smash Up and the idea of miniature components in games making them even more fun.

All that, plus your phone calls!

I have to disagree with Jeff and Justin's theory about Ken Levine not having the ability to make the game he wanted to make with Infinite. I'm reminded of this interview/feature on Polygon:

Nate Wells, the art director of BioShock Infinite, and arguably the best known Irrational employee after Levine, was susceptible to massive creative gutting. This anecdote from a colleague of Wells gives an idea of what iteration, at its most extreme, was like in the office.

Levine and Wells had a blowout fight over Finkton. In BioShock Infinite, Finkton is the shantytown, home to the workers and outcasts of the floating city of Columbia.

The art team and level designers had been working on Finkton for a long time, with Wells directing the style. The inspiration was like the slums in Jamaica or Key West. All of the housing was wooden and colorful, as if painted by the residents to make the depressed quarters more livable. And each bright shack was stacked atop the next, climbing into the sky like an anthill, with the skyline piercing through it.

Ken had been in level reviews numerous times. Then one day, the Finkton team was doing a play test, when Ken decided the entire stage was wrong. It looked like the residents lived in garbage. It needed to be beautiful, because Columbia was designed so that even the poor lived beautifully.

It was all wrong. And it had to go.

Wells was furious. Levine had been looking at this for months. In August of this year, Wells announced his new role as art director at Naughty Dog Studios.
http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/10/3853198/ken-levine-bioshock-infinite-vgas

If anything I would say it sounded to me like Ken Levine had total control of the project, to the detriment of the people working under him.

#9: On to the Next Person • March 3, 2014 at 3:00pm • 1 hour 41 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Phil Kollar from Polygon.com to the show this week. They kick off with Story of the Week, which Phil thinks should be the triumph of Twitch Plays Pokemon finishing Pokemon Red and moving on Pokemon Crystal. Christian thinks that Nintendo shutting down their Wii and DS online servers is the most important story of the week, while Jeff suggests that it is the announcement of Twitch streaming being added to the Xbox One. They also imagine what a Minecraft movie might be, as well as whether a remastered Mass Effect trilogy would be a good thing for the new consoles.

Phil gives his impressions of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and Bravely Default, and Christian has been enjoying Thief 4 on PS4.

Then it is time for the first round of March Madness, as the guys tackle the Cannata Division of the bracket with the help of your live calls and votes. Some intense match-ups and a few underdog winners may surprise you.

Finally, it is Tabletop Time, and Jeff recommends the storytelling game, Tales of the Arabian Nights as an interesting alternative to competitive board games.
Slow news week. =\

theowne

Jeff, did I hear correctly that you can tell who called in (is on hold) most recently? If so, I think it would be a good idea to simply take the most recent calls at any point in the show. Eliminates a little bit of the need for screening since people will call in when they have a comment on the current topic and get on right away.

I know it eliminates the fairness of "first come, first serve" but I think it would really improve the call-in dynamic.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Jeff, did I hear correctly that you can tell who called in (is on hold) most recently? If so, I think it would be a good idea to simply take the most recent calls at any point in the show. Eliminates a little bit of the need for screening since people will call in when they have a comment on the current topic and get on right away.

I know it eliminates the fairness of "first come, first serve" but I think it would really improve the call-in dynamic.

Yes, I'm conflicted on that. I kind of do feel like I need to respect a bit of the "first come, first serve"

Do you think the call-ins have worked better in recent episodes? I do.

I'm also considering just having a whole call-in segment of the show, that is free-form, instead of peppering them in during the entire episode. What do you guys think of that?

theowne

Yea, I think the calls have improved. It seems like you're leading the callers on a little more which helps keep things on track.

Personally I like the idea of peppering calls in, it sort of differentiates the podcast a little bit from the regular fare. It's just that advertising call-in as "viewers call in when you have something to say" rather than "everyone call in and line up, we'll get to you" sounds a little bit better to me.

Gurrry

Ive been listening for a bit now, its really a great show. Im considering making a jingle for them and sending it in..

Keep it up

#10: Jeff Calls In • March 11, 2014 at 10:00am • 1 hour 38 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome Scott Johnson of Frogpants Studios, the podcaster and cartoonist responsible for the comic strip, Extralife, to DLC this week. They start with a big week of news, including big name departures from Sony and Naughty Dog, the new Batman: Arkham Knight debut trailer, and Last of Us as a live action movie.

Scott has great things to say about the new 2.0 patch for Diablo 3, and Christian is back in Killzone Shadow Fall.

Then it is week 2 of March Madness, with some epic match ups decided by your votes and phone calls!

Schrade

I just listened to the latest one. I had forgotten how well Spicer articulates things.

Great show. I hadn't ever listened before and now I am going back and starting from the beginning.

Top Bottom