• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC - Video/tabletop gaming podcast featuring Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer

subwilde

Episode structure has been progressively better in the recent weeks, I'm diggin' it.

You can really see Jeff honing his craft week by week.

Dispatch

I agree. Limiting the calls to the Play List section of the show has helped, and it's actually got me interested in board games (though not enough to actually buy one, sorry, Jeff.).

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Latest episode (with Anthony) had a weird vibe to it, almost like Spicer didn't want to be there, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Anyway, seeing as Jeff has brought his new podcast friend on as a guest, I'm expecting Wombat sometime in the future. Make it happen, Spicer! ;)

Main/only reason Stewart hasn't been a guest yet is scheduling. He works when we record and the few we've done on holiday Mondays, he's had other plans that kept him away. I'd love to have him on though for sure.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Main/only reason Stewart hasn't been a guest yet is scheduling. He works when we record and the few we've done on holiday Mondays, he's had other plans that kept him away. I'd love to have him on though for sure.

Thanks, makes sense. He always seem so busy, kind of blows my mind how he has time to regularly be on two podcasts. Hope he manages to find some time soon though!

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Maybe it's stupid of me to criticize a female gamer at this particular time, but I've got to say, the woman who was on this week's episode was annoying. The voice and how she talks was rather obnoxious, and worse, she just didn't seem to know what she was talking about. For example when Christian said that Final Fantasy was a bigger franchise still than KH (which I agree with) and she said she disagreed, because she personally likes the KH games better. I mean, what?

The other guy seemed fine.

LiK

I've never been annoyed with Spicer before but his dismissive attitude toward anyone who didn't like Destiny was extremely irritating. Yelling and screaming at any negative critique was bizzare and unnecessary. It made his segment almost unlistenable.

I'm glad Jeff disagreed cuz i was on his side 100%. We can enjoy a game and still shit on everything that is wrong with it. Destiny's core mechanics are fun but the story and mission designs are shit and we should admit it's shit. More fun than good is the perfect way to describe this game.

Maybe it's stupid of me to criticize a female gamer at this particular time, but I've got to say, the woman who was on this week's episode was annoying. The voice and how she talks was rather obnoxious, and worse, she just didn't seem to know what she was talking about. For example when Christian said that Final Fantasy was a bigger franchise still than KH (which I agree with) and she said she disagreed, because she personally likes the KH games better. I mean, what?

That woman was TERRIBLE. Not only was her voice annoying, but she also said "like" every other word and seemed to know next to nothing about games... even games she was playing! Like SH Downpour. Christian was trying to get her to elaborate on why she likes it and she couldn't squeeze out more than 30 seconds of rambling. Did she not realize she was going to be on a GAME podcast? She's seriously one of my least favorite podcast guests ever and I hope to god they never have her back.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I've never been annoyed with Spicer before but his dismissive attitude toward anyone who didn't like Destiny was extremely irritating. Yelling and screaming at any negative critique was bizzare and unnecessary. It made his segment almost unlistenable.

I'm glad Jeff disagreed cuz i was on his side 100%. We can enjoy a game and still shit on everything that is wrong with it. Destiny's core mechanics are fun but the story and mission designs are shit and we should admit it's shit. More fun than good is the perfect way to describe this game.

It din't seem like he was yelling at people who misliked the game. Rather, I think he was making the point that If you're havin fun playing the game, isn't that enough? And I actually liked that the discussion heated up, I feel that the one thing DLC is missing is the passionate, loud discussions that were frequent in for example Weekend Confirmed. It might have something to do with the skype format.

theowne

Yeah, it's an awkward time to criticize anything related to a woman in gaming, but I agree with you heavily....the girl on the latest episode sounded like a caricature with the constant "like" and rambling. Really hard to listen to this ep.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, Jeff going in for the kill with Destiny this week O_O Poor game never stood a chance

Never listened to the podcast until this episode and found myself rooted firmly in Jeff's corner. I don't think Destiny is even as 'fun' as they all claim, but more to the point it has been so refreshing to hear such inflamed passion surrounding a videogame with two striking viewpoints on a weekly audio show.

It's almost a rarity these days as so many podcasts hardly even debate games seemingly, and in the case that a conversation occasionally sparks some intelligent discourse, its too often one-sided diatribes where the panel is either unequipped or too sheepish to argue. Kudos everyone you made me a subscriber. Passion and enthusiasm has been missed.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Listened to the most recent episode and found it hilarious at times, how Spicer went all-in with some of his opinions. It kind of makes for a nice balance with Jeff. I also like how Jeff and Spicer don't back down when they disagree about stuff now (like a lot of other podcasts usually do), makes for some interesting and real discussions.
Also, I'm definitely going to mail someone a letter now!

Trojan

Christian sounded like he was having a bad day! It was funny hearing them go back and forth. Brianna was an interesting guest with good energy and I like hearing the developer side of things. She seemed to contradict herself a few times on the types of games she likes and supports, but nevertheless it's good to get a much different perspective besides Jeff and Christian. I appreciated all the Half-Life 2 love and nostalgia going on...that's one of my all-time favorite games!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If that lady said "as a developer" one more time, I was going to scream lol.

Exactly what I was thinking throughout the episode. lol
I thought she was a good guest overall with some insightful comments, but yeah, kind of a pet peeve of mine I guess, but it always irks me when a developer keep bringing up they are a developer as if that changes anything of what they're actually saying. Maybe it's one of those things where people say it without thinking (the same way some people can't stop saying 'like' or 'you know').
But in any case, we already know you are a developer, we were told in the beginning of the episode. Let's just leave it at that, unless it's really important to add that context again.

theowne

I did find it a little insulting when she said something like "I'm a developer, I don't have time for Black Friday"....

I mean, I'm a (non-game) developer too, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. I certainly would never say, "unlike you plebs, I'm a developer, I can't be wasting my time with sales or lineups".

I thought the debate about awards was kind of weird. They were sort of just dancing around the topic, I'm not sure I understood what Christian's argument was. It sounded like he was saying, "you can't say game of the year because it's just your favourite, that's different from winning grammies or oscars". How is winning the Spike awards or Gamespot's game of the year different from grammies or oscars? It's not like we're voting on a game to be elected president.

Trojan

I did find it a little insulting when she said something like "I'm a developer, I don't have time for Black Friday"....

I mean, I'm a (non-game) developer too, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. I certainly would never say, "unlike you plebs, I'm a developer, I can't be wasting my time with sales or lineups".

I thought the debate about awards was kind of weird. They were sort of just dancing around the topic, I'm not sure I understood what Christian's argument was. It sounded like he was saying, "you can't say game of the year because it's just your favourite, that's different from winning grammies or oscars". How is winning the Spike awards or Gamespot's game of the year different from grammies or oscars? It's not like we're voting on a game to be elected president.

Agree on what Brianna was saying about Black Friday - that was part of the contradiction I was referencing in my post. She said that comment and that she had no problem paying full price for games (since she's a dev), but then spent the rest of the episode saying she would only buy X game if it was on sale.

I think Brianna is a good change up guest and I am a firm believer that video games need to change their stance on how women are viewed, but I do think she beats people over the head with the "woman developer" handle a little too much. Her message would be more effective if it was more subtle. Overall though, I'm glad she voices a contrarian opinion and think her intentions are good.

As far as Christian's award rant....that was kind of weird! I love Christian but I think he was having a rough day. Nothing wrong with recognizing a dev team for a great achievement, c'mon Christian.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Was having a good day. I felt some of my opinions weren't taken seriously. And a few times, when I talked about some of topics we discussed, the question/reply brought up was about something new. It was circular and off my point, so it would've required me to address this new item and then bring it back to what I was actually saying. And since I knew the show was already running long, I decided to drop it and let us move on. That's all :)

It's like when you say X and then someone else says, "you just said Y and that's not right at all. Because Y means blah, blah, blah."

Then you'd have to go back and explain how you didn't (or weren't trying to) say Y but you actually said X and blah, blah, blah doesn't apply to X because yadda yadda.

It'd take time, likely not be all that interesting, so I let it go. That's all :)

The X/Y argument/example above is also easier to have if we were in person and not via Skype. So yeah, no problems on my end...just decided to let the podcast move ahead.

Thanks for listening the feedback though. I really do appreciate it :)

sits

Holy mackerel I got sick of being reminded by the guest that she was a developer. First time I nearly didn't finish listening to a DLC episode.

Love Christian's pro-consumer crusade against Activision. He effectively called them out for its left hand not talking to its right, and pressed the issue with his better-than-layman's understanding of Copyright Law. If someone was going to push the issue, I'm glad that it's a former lawyer.

antigoon

I didn't notice the "as a developer" thing at all.

And I guess this is a more general criticism but I feel like (and I suspect I may be alone in this) I would enjoy the show a lot more without all the bumpers and the long intro. It just gets to me sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the show. Last remaining remnants of Weekend Confirmed, really.

theowne

I suppose it's understandable that a woman in gaming might subconsciously feel the need to backup her opinions as being those of a technical person. A lot of people will tend to assume that a female voice is a media person or something like that.

ChristianSpicer said:
Was having a good day. I felt some of my opinions weren't taken seriously. And a few times, when I talked about some of topics we discussed, the question/reply brought up was about something new. It was circular and off my point, so it would've required me to address this new item and then bring it back to what I was actually saying. And since I knew the show was already running long, I decided to drop it and let us move on. That's all :)

Hey Christian, I appreciate your positive approach to criticism. I love Jeff but he tends to get so upset at trolls or rude posters that he ignores everyone else too.

If I had to make a general criticism I think often times in show you spend a lot of time making a point or recounting a story which could be expressed simpler and keep the momentum of the show going. Eg, I thought the Best Buy story really dragged on compared to the "key items" in the story. I felt a similar way when you were discussing awards with Jeff, which is why I think he kept jumping at trying to peg your opinion down to a concise statement, which may have been the wrong one, as you said. Anyways, I'm not podcast host, but that's my opinion FWIW.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
I suppose it's understandable that a woman in gaming might subconsciously feel the need to backup her opinions as being those of a technical person. A lot of people will tend to assume that a female voice is a media person or something like that.

Hey Christian, I appreciate your positive approach to criticism. I love Jeff but he tends to get so upset at trolls or rude posters that he ignores everyone else too.

If I had to make a general criticism I think often times in show you spend a lot of time making a point or recounting a story which could be expressed simpler and keep the momentum of the show going. Eg, I thought the Best Buy story really dragged on compared to the "key items" in the story. I felt a similar way when you were discussing awards with Jeff, which is why I think he kept jumping at trying to peg your opinion down to a concise statement, which may have been the wrong one, as you said. Anyways, I'm not podcast host, but that's my opinion FWIW.

Thanks for the criticism. I'll play with it. I may not end up changing tho to be honest but I'll try. Perhaps it's my storytelling and standup background but I enjoy telling a story and giving details and not just hitting an executive summary on things. I think often times the fun and life is in the details. But I do hear and appreciate your feedback.

sits

I think often times the fun and life is in the details. But I do hear and appreciate your feedback.

Horses for courses. Just wanted to provide a counter-view and say I really, really liked the Best Buy/Activision story -- I thought you hit all the right narrative points, and admittedly that was one of the best things I've heard from you, including the WC days.

I actually really liked the detail you gave about the applicability of Copyright Law in consumer transactions and how you interpret it to (not) apply in video game sales, especially in the modern era.

...and the moneyshot of revealing you got a cheque to the value of your purchase (sans state tax). Great story!

...but hey, horses for courses. As a developer.

I still can't believe you had that much trouble at Best Buy. Well, I can believe it, but you shouldn't have.

Did you ever try Exo survival in AW? It's a really cool wave based survival mode, may as well since it sounds like you get to keep your copy of the game as well as get the refund.

theowne

Just to be clear, none of what sits mentioned as "details" were what my criticism was about. I suppose it is is more about delivery than content,I just felt it dragged on a bit in getting there. Anyways, maybe I'm just nuts :)

sits

Just to be clear, none of what sits mentioned as "details" were what my criticism was about. I suppose it is is more about delivery than content,I just felt it dragged on a bit in getting there. Anyways, maybe I'm just nuts :)

My bad for misinterpreting what you meant. :)

H2Yo

As a developer, I had no idea who Brianna Wu was so I looked her up on google and there was:

gNvkOLn0.jpeg

These are three different people right?

Trojan

It's like when you say X and then someone else says, "you just said Y and that's not right at all. Because Y means blah, blah, blah."

Then you'd have to go back and explain how you didn't (or weren't trying to) say Y but you actually said X and blah, blah, blah doesn't apply to X because yadda yadda.

It'd take time, likely not be all that interesting, so I let it go. That's all :)

The X/Y argument/example above is also easier to have if we were in person and not via Skype. So yeah, no problems on my end...just decided to let the podcast move ahead.

Thanks for listening the feedback though. I really do appreciate it :)

Thanks for coming on NeoGaf to respond, Christian! That clarification helps, even if we disagree. Big fan of the show, I hope you guys keep the same format because I love the current one (except for Tabletop Time...I just am not into board games).

H2Yo

Who is judging looks? As a developer, I was curious about who she was, that's all. Only thing I know is that she is a developer; a pretentious one at that.

Dispatch

I will listen to the remainder of the podcast before laying down my final judgement, but having the "hair issue" in Dragon Age: Inquisiting be the first nomination for story of the week produced an eye roll.

For one, it speaks to her confidence that she nominated that story, but it did not create the best first impression for me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I didn't notice the "as a developer" thing at all.

And I guess this is a more general criticism but I feel like (and I suspect I may be alone in this) I would enjoy the show a lot more without all the bumpers and the long intro. It just gets to me sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the show. Last remaining remnants of Weekend Confirmed, really.

Tries to give the show flair and I get why they need to do the sponsors in the podcast too.

That being said I've never felt this podcast had good flow. Not sure if it's all the bumpers or the fact that they aren't all in the same room so you get pauses as they don't want to talk over each other. Much easier to get a feel for that kind of thing in one room.

Dispatch

I've now listened to a lot more of the podcast and Mrs. Wu really did offer a different perspective, even though I disagreed with some of what she said. I replayed the section where, at first, she seemed to indicate that Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare had a better story than Half-Life 2, but I think what she meant was that story-telling technique has come a long way, not that CoD:AW was better than Half-Life.

I really do enjoy DLC, as it's one of the more thoughtful podcasts out there.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tries to give the show flair and I get why they need to do the sponsors in the podcast too.

That being said I've never felt this podcast had good flow. Not sure if it's all the bumpers or the fact that they aren't all in the same room so you get pauses as they don't want to talk over each other. Much easier to get a feel for that kind of thing in one room.

Well, there's also tabletop time that doesn't quite feel like it fits in with the rest of the podcast. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy tabletop time and appreciate hearing more about great tabletop games. I think I'm the perfect audience in a way, because I'm not interested enough to listen to a dedicated tabletop podcast, but enough to enjoy it on DLC.
But at the same time, it often turns into Jeff talking and being hopeful about the guest having played any kind of tabletop game. It's probably hard to find guests that have as much of a deep interest in BOTH video games and tabletop games as Jeff... maybe that's why we're getting more pre-recorded stuff nowadays.

StereoKill

Neo Member
Just listening to episode 51 and I feel like people are forgetting the thing that was extra egregious about Ubisoft's launch of ACU was the fact that not only did they ship a broken game, but they actively deceived their most hardcore fans by putting the late embargo time on it.

It's really frustrating to hear people lauding them for being so "open" and giving away a free game when just a week before that they actively deceived and disrespected those same fans.

theowne

Still breaks my heart every time Jeff calls Dragon Age 1 "heavily flawed" after only playing the console version.

Nice to see this DLC thread revived. Especially in response to the last episode which was a real chore to listen to because of that developer.

What a hypocrite too. I have no time for Black Friday because I support other developers and they need as much money as they can get. 20 minutes later...I won't pay full price for Wolfenstein because its a B Tier game.

Top Bottom