• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC - Video/tabletop gaming podcast featuring Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer

#12: A Truck Full of Brink
March 24, 2014 at 3:30pm • 1 hour 51 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome back Garnett Lee from Garnett on Games to the show to talk about GDC, inFamous, Titan Fall, and much much more. Garnett has hands on with the new Sony Project Morpheus VR headset, as well as Hack and Slash, eye tracking technology, and more! Jeff is excited about the Unreal and Crytek engines being affordable for indie developers, announcements of the new Assassin's Creed and Far Cry franchises, and the comic book Powers coming to Playstation Network as a TV series.

Christian just wants to talk about games! And games there are! Christian defends the brevity of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Garnett digs Tearaway and is uncertain about the staying power of Titan Fall, and Jeff is hooked by Diablo 3 2.0 and inFamous.

Then it is the Elite Eight round of March Madness, and the guys are reeling from last week's Tetris-gate. But the decisions are any easier this time! Your votes and calls help determine which games progress into the Final Four.

And Tabletop Time debuts a new jingle, with Christian discussing his experience playing Wits & Wagers.
Sweet, looking forward to this one.

LifEndz

Listening now and they just got to the infamous discussion. Can anyone tell me if they spoiled the final 2 powers or any other major story stuff?

sun-drop

how does garnett not get infamous, cummon man :D .. you have a ps4 and don't pick up the biggest title this half?

keep up the good work guys, think this is my W/C replacement

theowne

March madness is truly madness. Only top 4 I agree with is SM64, but only barely (I agree with Jeff that SMW is the best Mario). Maybe Half Life in general as opposed to just HL2.

I've been negligent

#13: Oculus Puppies
March 31, 2014 at 3:15pm • 1 hour 35 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome their first International guest, Guy Cocker, from Wired UK. The Story of the Week centers around Facebook's buyout of Oculus Rift, and the guys debate all sides of the news, plus Microsoft's purchase of AR tech and Nintendo's continued investment into health monitoring hardware. Christian thinks Phil Spector becoming the head of Xbox is a good thing for games, while Guy has his own optimism about UK tax breaks for video game companies. Meanwhile, Jeff loves the way Titanfall is dealing with cheaters on the PC.

In the Playlist, Guy has been revisiting excellent PC games from the last couple of years that he missed, while Christian continues to get the most out of inFamous: Second Son. Jeff is renewing his addiction to Diablo 3 with Reaper of Souls, and just starting to play Elder Scrolls Online.

March Madness hits its Final Four, with Super Mario 64 taking on Half-Life 2 and Last of Us squaring off against Portal.

Then Tabletop Time gets you ready for International Tabletop day with a discussion of great co-op games that can overcome Christian's competition qualms from last week. Space Cadets, Pandemic, and Flashpoint: Fire Rescue are discussed.

All that, plus your phone calls!
I like the new Playlist section, keep up the good work you guys.

sneaky77

I wish they would just do away with the calls, brings the show to a halt, and the callers don't really add anything to it. Most of them are busted and hard to hear.

theowne

I wish they would just do away with the calls, brings the show to a halt, and the callers don't really add anything to it. Most of them are busted and hard to hear.

I hate to be a bully but there's one caller in particular who seems to call in every show with a combination of bad audio and sluggish delivery that's hard to bear.

#14: Cosplay vs. Cosplay
April 7, 2014 at 3:45pm • 1 hour 40 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome Canada's own Victor Lucas from EPN.tv to the show to discuss Stories of the Week, including Amazon's Fire TV announcement, the Game_Jam reality TV debacle, Amy Hennig joining Visceral Games, Microsoft making a new sci-fi show for Xbox, Borderlands' new Pre-Sequel, and Adam Sessler leaving games journalism.

Then, in the Playlist, Vic has been playing Luftrausers, inFamous Second Son, Titanfall, and NBA 2K14, while Jeff is completely addicted to Elder Scrolls Online and Christian has gotten back into Forza.

March Madness comes to its thrilling conclusion as the final matchup pits Super Mario 64 against Portal!

And in Tabletop Time, Jeff and Christian recount their experience playing Last Will on International Tabletop Day, and Jeff finally gets his hands on Caverna!

All that, plus YOUR phone calls

theowne

Was really awesome to hear Vic again.

A big part of my childhood was him and Tommy Tallarico doing Reviews on the Run. I remember laughing more at Tommy, but agreeing more with Vic.

Missed last week's:

#15: There Are No Awkward Places
April 14, 2014 at 3:00pm • 1 hour 37 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome Emily V Gordon from Nerdist's Indoor Kids podcast to the show this week. She is excited about Sir Richard Attenborough making a new documentary for the Oculus Rift, as well as the new DLC announced for Titan Fall. Christian is surprised by the release dates for Super Smash Bros on the WiiU and 3DS, as well as Peter Molyneux calling the Kinect a "joke". Meanwhile, Jeff is still in Boston for PAX East, and he is buzzing about his participation in Firaxis' announcement of Civ: Beyond Earth, and Blizzard's announcement of Curse of Naxxramas for Hearthstone. Everybody was excited to see 14 minutes of Chris Robert's Star Citizen on display at the show.

In the Playlist, Emily is playing Titanfall and South Park: Stick of Truth, as well as Don't Starve, Christian is playing Zen Pinball, and Jeff has a ton of PAX East games to report on, including Evolve, Wildstar, Love in a Dangerous Spacetime, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Below.

Then it is Tabletop Time, and Jeff played some awesome games at PAX East, including Mobile Frame Zero, Myth, and Cipher Ops.

All that, plus YOUR phone calls!

OK we're caught up now.

#16: Mel Brook's MMO: The Movie
April 21, 2014 at 3:00pm • 1 hour 36 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome Michael Fox from the Little Metal Dog Show and Sprocket Games to DLC for a very Tabletop Time episode!

Michael is excited about the Origins Awards nominees and has played nearly all of the games. He gives a rundown of what to be excited about. Then the guys reminisce about the Gameboy as a way to celebrate its birthday, before Christian lays into the NPD numbers for March. Console War ignite! News that Nintendo turned down exclusivity for Skylanders is discussed, as well as the recent departure of Marty O'Donnell from Bungie and Nate Wells from Naughty Dog. Jeff is excited about video game developers creating cards for the new Magic the Gathering 2015 Core Set, and the games recently announced as MENSA's favorites for 2014.

In the Playlist, everyone is playing Hearthstone on the iPad, Michael is still loving Dark Souls 2, and Jeff cannot get enough of Elder Scrolls Online, even if he can see its weaknesses.

Then, in Tabletop Time, Michael loves the civ game, Nations, as well as his own publishing effort, Of Mice and Lemmings. He and Jeff then both rave about Caverna and Big Foot.

All that, plus YOUR phone calls.

Anyone besides me still listening?! Everyone's favorite guest from Weekend Confirmed is on this week's show!

#17: I Went On a Digital Trip
April 28, 2014 at 3:15pm • 1 hour 42 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome Andrea Rene to the show from the Escapist. In Story of the Week, Andrea is excited about all of the new hands-on information about Bungie's upcoming Destiny, while Christian debates the merits of Major League Gaming being included in the next X-Games in Austin. Jeff is excited about the excavation of the legendary E.T. cartridges in the desert, and the fact that Microsoft's Xbox Originals initiative seems to have a lot of exciting programming coming soon. Also, Twitch is more popular that ESPN and WWE?

In the Playlist, Andrea has some issues with Infamous: Second Son, but tons of fun with Lego: The Hobbit, Christian is still loving Hearthstone, and Jeff discovered the joy in... wait for it... Dark Souls 2!

Tabletop Time has Andrea buying King of Tokyo and Jeff trying Coal Baron.

sneaky77

The first 20 mins or so which is the only time I've had to listen the sound quality is pretty terrible. Also.. no.. gaming is not a sport. It's cool that is included in the x-games, but is an event.. not a sport.

theowne

I always feel like these "is gaming a sport" thing are the best example of an argument about absolutely nothing.

There's a word out there for these things: competition. Spelling bees. Programming contests. Trivia contests. Starcraft. Racing. Rowing. Call of Duty.

These are all competitions.

Sports is a word that usually refers to physical competitions, just like "motorsports" was invented to cover those that involve certain kind of vehicles.

Paches

I always feel like these "is gaming a sport" thing are the best example of an argument about absolutely nothing.

There's a word out there for these things: competition. Spelling bees. Programming contests. Trivia contests. Starcraft. Racing. Rowing. Call of Duty.

These are all competitions.

Sports is a word that usually refers to physical competitions, just like "motorsports" was invented to cover those that involve certain kind of vehicles.

I haven't listened to the episode, but I think you bring up an interesting argument. I don't disagree with you one way or another, but I think this is where the term "e-sport" fits fine and doesn't need to go any further than that.

adamrida

Neo Member
I'm still listening. I super glad that post WC that we get 3 podcasts per week with WC alums (Also loving Garnett on Games and John + Garnett).

I am super surprised that Jeff is finally converted to Dark Souls, I sit with Christian and Andrea where I can't imagine enjoying that kind of game due to the difficulty being such a barrier and being quite time poor.

I don't think that the calls are a bad thing. There's only 2 or 3 calls a show now and I think they've now been able to manage them effectively, I think it's a great differentiator for the podcast being able to call in.

Would love to see 3rd chairs like Phil Kollar, Justin McElroy, Garnett Lee, Dan Tracthenberg, Alex Albrecht, Patrick Klepek, Anthony Carboni, Emily Gordon and John Davison come back for repeat appearances and I'm sure they will.

Loving the addition of The Playlist to the format as well. Really think the format is pretty spot on and can't think of any ways to improve it.

graboids

listening to this week's show... really enjoy Jeff & Christian, they work well together.

In response to the Kinect unbundling portion of the show:

Whether or not I own a Kinect has zero impact on the chance of me buying a Kinect game, I never will. I have no interest in motion controls or voice commands. If other people do thats great, I hope they enjoy them, but none of that is for me. I think this new $399 Kinect-less XB1 is great, its what MS needed to do, I now feel like its okay for me to be excited to buy the new Xbox, where before it had this dark Kinect shaped cloud hanging over it...

Although, if everyone fan of Kinect goes out and spends $100 buying every copy of Amped they can find so I can get a new one of those made I will buy a Kinect to help them out... deal?

sneaky77

I haven't finished the show yet but I feel like Scotts rant about its nothing more than a games machine was a little.. what? or the bandwidth rant as a thing to pay gold so you can stream your paying netflix subscription which.. has no impact on microsoft needing to buy bandwidth.. he was a bit all over the place and made me want to facepalm as I was driving to work. At least Jeff called him out on it.

Good show this week with Papa Garnett.

#21: Live In The Now!
May 26, 2014 at 4:15pm • 1 hour 43 minutes

Jeff and Christian welcome their buddy Garnett Lee back to DLC for the 4th time. Garnett is the host of Garnett on Games and the John + Garnett podcasts. This week, he's talking about the contrast between hype and reality in games, specifically with Watch Dogs being released. Christian is interested in the PS4 being released in China, and Jeff is overwhelmed by the massive number of games released on Steam already in 2014. Plus, the guys ponder Amplitude's intense Kickstarter and the free Wii U game that Nintendo is giving away with every Mario Kart 8.

The E3 Hype Train continues to roll along as Christian asks what percentage of exciting announcements will actually be playable at the show.

In the Playlist, Garnett is almost finished with Last Story on Wii and has some strong feelings about Heroes of the Storm, Christian loves loving Wolfenstein: New Order, and Jeff is interdependently enjoying some independent releases, Super Time Force and Transistor. Plus, pre-E3 thoughts on Evolve and Civ: Beyond Earth.

Tabletop Time has Jeff amped to finally play Marvel Dice Masters, and he's got a lot to say. Plus, Garnett digs Bigger Blacker Cards Against Humanity.

Curufinwe

It was great that Garnett got to experience how a lot of us felt about the full court press from him and other members of the gaming press to get their buddy's Republique kickstarter funded.

It was great that Garnett got to experience how a lot of us felt about the full court press from him and other members of the gaming press to get their buddy's Republique kickstarter funded.

This is essentially what I responded to him on twitter when he complained about Harmonix. :D

sneaky77

It's funny how quickly that appears to have been forgotten by all podcasts that were pushing that game week in and week out

graboids

Enjoying this week's show but how does someone that covers games not know who Jack Tretton is? seems crazy... anyway, still a good story of the week segment.

sun-drop

Enjoying this week's show but how does someone that covers games not know who Jack Tretton is? seems crazy... anyway, still a good story of the week segment.

Yeah wtf. Seriously poor choice in guest this week. How can someone be that blinkered as to be ignorant of a guy who eas basically one of The power guys in world gaming. W t f

Yeah wtf. Seriously poor choice in guest this week. How can someone be that blinkered as to be ignorant of a guy who eas basically one of The power guys in world gaming. W t f
Yeah... I'm going to be charitable and just say he was a somewhat disappointing guest because he didn't know much or have anything to say about any of the subjects for discussion. I guess that's what happens when you have a guy who only covers PC games on the show. Funnily enough in the past when they've had 'board game guys' on as guests they always seemed pretty knowledgable about video games too.

Curufinwe

Leahy is back at it. He think MS got the better third party games... because COD and AC showed better than Destiny and Far Cry, I guess.

Just FYI Jeff, Valiant Hearts takes place during WW1 not WW2. I agree it looks fantastic. I'm not ashamed to admit I got a little misty eyed during the trailer.

Jeff I agree with you about that Rainbox 6 demo being very weird tonally. The good news is (for me at least) there is a single player mode and a co-op mode so you can take stuff like that more seriously. The problem with any MP kind of game is everything just boils down to mechanics hence treating the woman like a flag to capture rather than a human being.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, if you like Jeff's voice you're in for a treat in the latest episode (the one about the Nintendo direct etc)! After about 1:12 there's an echo whenever Jeff speaks. Hopefully it's fixed soon. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I have yet to listen to the Day 3 episode, but have to say I think Jeff and Christian have done a great job covering E3 in DLC so far. Episodes on time, great run-through of what they've played and the guests have been good enough as well I think.

Yeah I was actually about to post that their coverage of E3 has been great so far. The show is really hitting its stride.

Also which one of us is Matthew?

antigoon

This is probably a stupid question, but why is the latency with the callers so much worse than the latency between show hosts and guests? The delay makes what is already a pretty awkward segment even more uncomfortable to listen to.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Latest episode (with Anthony) had a weird vibe to it, almost like Spicer didn't want to be there, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Anyway, seeing as Jeff has brought his new podcast friend on as a guest, I'm expecting Wombat sometime in the future. Make it happen, Spicer! ;)

theowne

Latest episode (with Anthony) had a weird vibe to it, almost like Spicer didn't want to be there, but maybe I'm just imagining things.

I might be overreaching here but I sort of feel like Christian sometimes comes off as straddling the midpoint between being a cohost vs. being a recurring guest. So if you get a loud or bold guest it starts to feel like Cannata and guest No.2 featuring Spicer. Maybe that's just me.

Was Jeff the one saying they should use Kinect for VR? (I listen to a lot of podcasts so I may have gotten mixed up.) Because from what I understand the Kinect introduces way too much latency to ever be used for VR, unfortunately,

Top Bottom