• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best they can hope for is to not drive anyone else away from these games. I really don't think people who played 4 (which didn't sell great) or gave up the series and didn't play it are going to come back for Young Dante....and yet that is EXACTLY what they are thinking.

Defuser

Shaka said:
I don't know, didn't people say that about DR2? It could be shit, it could be good either way it's too early to tell.
DR2 designs and gameplay is still faithful to the DR1 whereas this isn't.

Future

LordAzrael said:
What the hell is wrong with you guys? The original Dante looked like anime bishi shit, at least this one looks somewhat like a human being. Good God gaf loves to hate on any change made.
Dante had a recognizeable look that didn't need to change. If dmc had any problem, Dante himself was not it

Now they twilight-fied him cuz that's what's in these days. Fine. This is gonna lose some existing fanbase, so they are risking that they'll make some new fans. Unfortunately ninja theory is not really gonna help matters with that. UE3 is like kickin the coffin. Slow 30fps future awaits

Don

criesofthepast said:
I've only played DMC4 so this can't be any worse. Will give it a shot still.
Try playing Heavenly Sword. It is a lot worse than DMC4.

The big problem I have with Heavenly Sword (and Enslaved looks to be the exact same) is that they have long slow animations for everything, so it all feels completely unresponsive when you press a button then sit through an overly long animation before the attack hits.

One of the reasons why games like DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden are so great is because of how fast and responsive everything is and Ninja Theory's games are the complete opposite of this.

It also doesn't help that Heavenly Sword (and again, Enslaved looks no different) had a terrible framerate and lots of screen tearing.

Ninja Theory should stick to killing their own franchises.

dslgunstar said:
:lol

Well, this is what people get after complaining about Devil May Cry 4. That was a decent game and people bitched and moaned just because of random character switches, a repeating second half, and a few repeating boss battles.

Fixed.

Suairyu

Banned
This isn't 'hipster' or 'emo'. However, it does look very British. Punk. Makes sense, given the developer.

I saw the first screen and over-reacted. Having watched the trailer, I'm willing to be open-minded about this. Developers with poor track records have put out amazing games before (Arkham Asylum), and I happened to think Heavenly Sword was very almost good, just held back by a couple of inane design decisions and lack of length. Have not played Enslaved. Ninja Theory have potential, is all I'm saying.

ahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhaa

now this looks terrible

What have they done to Dante!? ;_;

I have a feeling this is worse than I was expecting, and my expectations were already pretty damn low.

DMC1_Dante.jpg

What have they done, original is still the best.

ArjanN

Shaka said:
I don't know, didn't people say that about DR2? It could be shit, it could be good either way it's too early to tell. I also get you're not too fond of NT but devs can and do Improve. See GG and other dev I can't recall right now. =P

But for Dead Rising 2 they barely changed anything. It's incredibly true to the first game in both gameplay and visual style. They just added more content and polish.

This might play the same as the previous DMC games, but the visual style doesn't appeal to the same crowd at all.

This is more like making Lara Croft a blonde or Mario a handsome guy with sixpack abs.

alright, fuck you capcom. UE3 for this type of action game? which means the best we can hope for on console is 30fps. this has got to be some kind of sick fucking joke.

that retarded looking dude in the OP is DANTE? jesus christ.

capcom could have at least let NT use MTframework.

This is the reason the gaming industry mostly doesn't give a shit about GAF. bunch of crybabies who bitch and moan about any change and complain about any series that doesn't change.

WickedLaharl said:
that retarded looking dude in the OP is DANTE? jesus christ.
3760_v.gif

Dandy

I liked the trailer, but I've played the Heavenly Sword demo and that sucked. So I'll wait and see I guess. Looks cool though.

YuriLowell said:
So im thinking going for a younger audience the gore, and the action will be toned down for a lesser rating.
DMC never had gore.

Corto

YuriLowell said:
It wont. It will come out and be the most mediocre action game since Heavenly Sword.

I have no invested interest in either result, but I would love to be able to play a good to competent action game and as a side effect see all the foaming, over reacting haters of today turn into sycophants of Capcom decision to outsource DMC to Ninja Theory. If what we get is a bad game I won't buy it and move along. That's no fun at all. I want to see backpedaling and hate transforming into love, over reaction resulting in over reaction. And then the cycle will be completed. That would be just poetic. Here's hoping!

OMG just saw the trailer!

If Ninja Theory can manage to "translate" that trailer into something close but realtime, it's day 1 for me, amigos!

Finally a smart decision from Capcom, outsourcing IP's to good quality developers. Ninja Theory is coming as a good surprise this gen. If Enslaved turns out to be as good as it looks and if they don't blow it with DmC (awesome trailer, can't stop saying it), that's three great games in a row (screw Heavenly Sword haters, I loved it!).

gogogow

BobTheFork said:
The best they can hope for is to not drive anyone else away from these games. I really don't think people who played 4 (which didn't sell great) or gave up the series and didn't play it are going to come back for Young Dante....and yet that is EXACTLY what they are thinking.
It's only the best selling game in the franchise with 2.5m copies sold.

DMC1 - 2.16m
DMC2 - 1.70m
DMC3 - 1.30m

Aesthet1c

I seriously can't believe that this new Dante made it public. That multiple people approved of his new look, and (cringe) probably thought it was awesome.

Seriously, this is the worst character design I've seen in a long long time. He looks like a total idiot, and wtf is up with his hair?

StuBurns

Banned
Suairyu said:
This isn't 'hipster' or 'emo'. However, it does look very British. Punk. Makes sense, given the developer.
It does have a certain Camden Lock feel about it.

The union jack on his jacket is stupid though.

vg260

Don said:
Try playing Heavenly Sword. It is a lot worse than DMC4.

The big problem I have with Heavenly Sword (and Enslaved looks to be the exact same) is that they have long slow animations for everything, so it all feels completely unresponsive when you press a button then sit through an overly long animation before the attack hits.

One of the reasons why games like DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden are so great is because of how fast and responsive everything is and Ninja Theory's games are the complete opposite of this.

It also doesn't help that Heavenly Sword (and again, Enslaved looks no different) had a terrible framerate and lots of screen tearing.

Ninja Theory should stick to killing their own franchises.

Yes. I usually like action games, even if mediorcre, but hated Heavenly Sword for the reasons you stated. I don't know how I got myself to play through it all.

USD

Suairyu said:
Someone with a head on their shoulders. Were punks proto-emos? Going by half of GAF's reaction, they are.
Nemesis556 said:
So, now does this mean that MvsC3's Dante is going to be out of date?
Not really. They went for Dante's DMC3 look in the game when 4's been out for ages.

Kittonwy

Banned
What did they do to Dante. This is the worst case of character design change I've ever seen, it's so bad, it's bad. The one thing Ninja Theory couldn't have fucked up, they totally did, I was expecting them to mess up the combat, but they took care of the IP without doing that. Good job Ninja Theory, if this doesn't sell they can blame it on working multiplatform.
Indifferent2.gif

thefil

I don't really mind the new design as long as he's still snarky and the action is still great.

On the other hand, I still haven't played Bayonetta, so what do I know?

Shaka

Segata Sanshiro said:
Who are GG? If it's who I think it is, you aren't going to convince me all that much with that example.

Look, you could list every example of a mediocre developer overcoming and making a good game, and I could find ten more examples for each of a mediocre developer making another mediocre game.
Guerrilla Games, Not a fan I guess.:lol I really can't think of others but I disagree with you in regards to Ninja Theory. I though Heavenly Sword was a good game though it definitely could have been better. It had the potential for greatness. Yes, I'm a bit skeptical about Ninja Theory pulling this off but the trailer+partnership with Capcom makes me cautiously optomistic.

Suairyu said:

The real question is, when will they unveil their vaguely Asian female lead that wears a red octopus on her head?

Suairyu

Banned
StuBurns said:
It does have a certain Camden Lock feel about it.

The union flag on his jacket is stupid though.
So is most of lifestyle scenes Britain (or, fuckit, any country) produced. It's the combination of the ridiculous into an inexplicably trendy package that sells the idea.

But yes, I'd agree. I'd lose the Union Flag (fixed yours, too). It's kind of over-doing it.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The real question is, when will they unveil their vaguely Asian female lead that wears a red octopus on her head?
Oh, you! As in they're British themselves.

Though her clothing left a lot to be desired, Nariko's character design was quite brilliant. Unfortunately, this was marred by inadequate technology, hence the hair issues.

Kittonwy

Banned
Suairyu said:

I saw the first screen and over-reacted. Having watched the trailer, I'm willing to be open-minded about this. Developers with poor track records have put out amazing games before (Arkham Asylum), and I happened to think Heavenly Sword was very almost good, just held back by a couple of inane design decisions and lack of length. Have not played Enslaved. Ninja Theory have potential, is all I'm saying.

Dante is a demon, he's not a malnurished vampire.

BobTheFork said:
The best they can hope for is to not drive anyone else away from these games. I really don't think people who played 4 (which didn't sell great) .
Uh? If I remember correctly, 4 is the best selling game in the series.

edit: nevermind, beaten, and with awesome sales figures too :p

StuBurns

Banned
Suairyu said:
So is most of lifestyle scenes Britain (or, fuckit, any country) produced. It's the combination of the ridiculous into an inexplicably trendy package that sells the idea.

But yes, I'd agree. I'd lose the Union Flag (fixed yours, too). It's kind of over-doing it.
Everyone calls it the union jack, there was no need to 'fix it'.

zoukka

This thread shows that the new design was a great success.

Everybody's talking about the game because of Punk Dante.
It's riling up strong emotions for and against, which will imprint the title to peoples minds.

ArjanN

Corto said:
I have no invested interest in either result, but I would love to be able to play a good to competent action game and as a side effect see all the foaming, over reacting haters of today turn into sycophants of Capcom decision to outsource DMC to Ninja Theory. If what we get is a bad game I won't buy it and move along. That's no fun at all. I want to see backpedaling and hate transforming into love, over reaction resulting in over reaction. And then the cycle will be completed. That would be just poetic. Here's hoping!

I might still be a great action game, but it's not the same character/universe to me at all.

I thought people were way overreacting before, but I find this art design very unappealing.

Shaka said:
Original Dante looks like shit.

Even if you didn't like the old design, IMO you can't totally redesign a character like this. he already has an established look.

The problem with DMC wasn't the art design at all.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I just got into work and saw this just now.

Are you shitting me, Capcom? WTF? :lol

Hopefully the gameplay ends up fun.

New Dante design shown, old Dante now looks shitty even though no one seemed to think so until new Dante design shown, more news as it comes in

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I thought the trailer was awesome. I like the new vibe, way better than pretty boy goof Dante.

Whether NT can deliver with the gameplay is a different question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom