• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
StuBurns said:
Everyone calls it the union jack, there was no need to 'fix it'.
But that's incorrect. A flag is a flag. It's called a jack when it's on a ship. The American Flag is called the American Jack when it's on a ship. I know 'jack' has slipped into the common colloquial because of Britain's naval tradition, but that doesn't make it right. This isn't a case of language evolving over time, just a case of people getting a proper noun wrong.

Solid_Rain said:
DMC1_Dante.jpg

What have they done, original is still the best.

My personal favorite is Kaneko's Devil Trigger Dante for DMC3:

Megaten%27s_Devil_Trigger_Desing.jpg

But yeah, this new DMC looks terrible. I mean, what happened to the team that made DMC4? I thought DMC4 was a great game! There's so much talk about the difficulty of Japanese devs transitioning to HD, but IMO Capcom has already made this transition successfully. Did DMC4 not sell well or something?

StuBurns

Banned
Suairyu said:
But that's incorrect. A flag is a flag. It's called a jack when it's on a ship. The American Flag is called the American Jack when it's on a ship. I know 'jack' has slipped into the common colloquial because of Britain's naval tradition, but that doesn't make it right. This isn't a case of language evolving over time, just a case of people getting a proper noun wrong.
No, do some research, that's not why we call it the Union Jack, and there is no 'correct' name.

zoukka said:
This thread shows that the new design was a great success.

Everybody's talking about the game because of Punk Dante.
It's riling up strong emotions for and against, which will imprint the title to peoples minds.

Yeah I agree, the thought of never buying it will stay with me for a long while.

Raxus

MetatronM said:
Oh wow, I just got into work and saw this just now.

Are you shitting me, Capcom? WTF? :lol

Hopefully the gameplay ends up fun.
Seeing as this is the developer that made Heavenly Sword I am predicting this to be a HUGE disaster.

To think, people complained about Nero. This is 1000x worse.

The trailer was kind of cool, but why would they redesign Dante for no good reason? It's honestly as stupid-looking as Dread Spencer in the Bionic Commando reboot.

That game was still awesome, though, so fuck all y'all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
WickedLaharl said:
alright, fuck you capcom. UE3 for this type of action game? which means the best we can hope for on console is 30fps. this has got to be some kind of sick fucking joke.

that retarded looking dude in the OP is DANTE? jesus christ.

capcom could have at least let NT use MTframework.

Bulletstorm is 60 fps and judging by fluidity of youtube trailer this will be too.

Chao

Not kidding, Dante looks anorexic. Trailer was cool, but I couldn't stop thinking "dante looks ill, he's going to die of starvation in any moment"

jax (old)

Banned
zoukka said:

It's riling up strong emotions for and against, which will imprint the title to peoples minds.

Won't sell though. My interest is Zeroed by a) design b) nt

zoukka

Solid_Rain said:
Yeah I agree, the thought of never buying it will stay with me for a long while.

All potential buyers will stick and wait for gameplay, cut-scenes with story exposition. That's jsut how it goes. And any publicity is still publicity.

Suairyu said:
Oh, you! As in they're British themselves.

Though her clothing left a lot to be desired, Nariko's character design was quite brilliant. Unfortunately, this was marred by inadequate technology, hence the hair issues.

I was referring more to the fact that their Nariko is basically the exact same character as Trip in Enslaved, so I think they'll go for the hat trick and make her Lady/Trish as well.

Lijik

ChackanKun said:
OMG just saw the trailer!

If Ninja Theory can manage to "translate" that trailer into something close but realtime, it's day 1 for me, amigos!

Finally a smart decision from Capcom, outsourcing IP's to good quality developers. Ninja Theory is coming as a good surprise this gen. If Enslaved turns out to be as good as it looks and if they don't blow it with DmC (awesome trailer, can't stop saying it), that's three great games in a row (screw Heavenly Sword haters, I loved it!).

Same here. I was kind of surprised how quickly I got over Dante's redesign, but then I realized I never thought he had that great of a character design to begin with :lol
Trailer looks fucking cool, hell if I care if he looks like a generic punk instead of a generic bishie.

EDIT- Though I do think DMC1-4 had far better enemy designs.

LM4sure

Banned
Not sure if a good idea. What has Ninja Theory done? Heavenly Sword, which had an extremely lukewarm reception. This might not be any better than DMC4.

Zomba13

Fuck this shit. I guess there's no DMC2 or 5?

When is Capcom gonna make DMC6? It's odd how they miss out some numbers with this series.

What the hell is the attachment people have to original Dante? only thing that made DMC great was the combat. Not the plot nor any of the characters. As long as the combat is just as good or better, will any of you fools be complaining on launch day? Or are you so foolish that you wouldn't buy a good game based on the artwork?

zoukka said:

Sure it will be talked about, but no one's going to buy it :lol

suzu

Not liking this new design. His face looks a little odd. Maybe this kid will turn out to be some clone experiment or whatever.. Or I guess this could be Dante's 'I dyed my hair black & am a euro punk' phase lol. I think his face and stupid hair style is throwing me off the most (he doesn't look too bad in the art though).

Also I thought they already did a "young Dante" with DMC3?

Suairyu

Banned
StuBurns said:
No, do some research, that's not why we call it the Union Jack, and there is no 'correct' name.
I stand partly corrected. Partly because I'm technically correct, but corrected because yes, either term is acceptable usage. You win this round, StuFreezes >: (

Dandy

Hahaha you guys really hate the redesign.
I hope this game turns out awesome so every DMC fan that hates the new art is forced to play it. :lol

Valkyr Junkie said:
I was referring more to the fact that their Nariko is basically the exact same character as Trip in Enslaved, so I think they'll go for the hat trick and make her Lady/Trish as well.

It's not even just the look, it's the lack of Dante's personality/spirit with a stupid arrogant smile on his face and the way he kill's and talks to his enemies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LordAzrael said:
What the hell is the attachment people have to original Dante? only thing that made DMC great was the combat. Not the plot nor any of the characters. As long as the combat is just as good or better, will any of you fools be complaining on launch day? Or are you so foolish that you wouldn't buy a good game based on the artwork?
How dare people find interesting something that I don't find interesting? Foolish fools.

Skilletor

Wow, that looks super shitty. Dante wasn't some paragon of character design perfection, but geez is...wow.

Also, wasn't DMC4 pretty successful? I don't get why Capcom thinks the series needs this Western approach. I think this will sell far worse in Japan now, and I doubt the change in developer will inspire more people in the west to pick it up.

That's...horrible.

LordAzrael said:

Your the fool for thinking Ninja Theory can make an action game that could rival any of the DMC games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom