• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashkeloth

I just found out about this.

Holy fuck. This is terrible. I thought Nero was a misstep for the series, but this is just atrocious. We've already got a backstory on Dante. It's actually a pretty good one and was tied to what is quite possibly the best action game of all time.

Now we have Ninja Theory, turning dante into some black haired douchebag adding some terrible music that sounds even worse than Devil May Cry's usual buttrock, and putting him in something that is miles away from the art style that Devil May Cry has (which is to say, something resembling any actual quality).

This game is Devil May Cry in name only. the soul of the game is gone.

Long live Bayonetta.

jett

D-Member
bLl5f.jpg

Capcom is dead to me. Plz go bankrupt kthnx.

zoukka

Green Biker Dude said:
remember heavenly sword? calling all cars? lair? resistance 2? motorstorm? and a bunch of other shitty ps3 exclusives people talked about and sold like shit?

Uhh launch titles are a different matter. And of course this game will sell badly if it ends up sucking. My point was, that this change in style won't cost them sales. Probably just the opposite. If the game is on par with the franchise.

Anyone remember the reception for young Dante in DMC3? He's fucking atrocious in trailers and cut-scenes.

Goddamnit the redesign looks bad (well different) but... the trailer looks great. Definitely seems like Devil May Cry. Will get!

New Dante looks like Gary Numan, I demand Cars to be on the soundtrack!

Acosta

LordAzrael said:
No desperate, just frustrated how everyone seems to hate the new art design when really it isn't any better or worse than the original. Just different styles.

That's your viewpoint, as you can see, it´s not shared by everyone. If you are frustrated each time anyone have different opinion about a style, you are for a rough time here in gaf.

People like the original Dante, maybe you didn't, that's fair, but many liked it and you should try to understand why something as radically different is not loved for those of us who liked the original. I can understand that you like this, or that you don't care, but I don't understand why do you need to insist on the idea that everyone is a "fool" for having a different taste over the change of style of a well established character.

Kittonwy said:
It really IS worse than the original, I don't understand why when there's an argument regarding art style that somehow it's all subjective, ugly is ugly.
Dude, it is subjective. New dante doesn't look ugly to me. At all. I'm assuming he does to you. But damn, ugly is not ugly. Seriously Kittonwy, this is one of the dumbest statements I've read from you, and I've read some doozies.

Oh, and thanks Segata for actually writing a good post replying to mine. I guess I WANT Ninja Theory to make a great game more than I believe they will.

zoukka

Acosta said:
That's your viewpoint, as you can see, it´s not shared by everyone. If you are frustrated each time anyone have different opinion about a style, you are for a rough time here in gaf.

People like the original Dante, maybe you didn't, that's fair, but many liked it and you should try to understand why something as radically different is not loved for those of us who liked the original. I can understand that you like this, or that you don't care, but I don't understand why do you need to insist on the idea that everyone is a "fool" for having a different taste over the change of style of a well established character.

People fear change. Any kind of change is frowned upon initially.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Fuck you Capcom, I'm done with this franchise. I bought DMC1 and it became my favorite new franchise of last gen. I was hyped for DMC2 and bought it full price with the strategy guide and got burned. I believed in their ability to get back to promised land and they delivered with DMC3. I bought both versions of DMC3 full price on release date. I bought the DMC4 Collector's Edition on day 1 even though importers who got the Japanese version earlier warned the game wasn't up to par. They were right as DMC4 was nowhere near as good as 3. Now you give me this shit. I'm voting with my wallet and refusing to support this abortion.

Zomba13

This news has seriously ruined my day. I was excited for DMC5. I see the thread title, assume they are doing a reboot of sorts or a prequel/remake or re-imagining then I see that trailer. It's like Ninjatheory wanted to make an action game and have Capcom publish and then Capcom told them to slap the DMC name on it and change the main characters name.

Monocle

What the fuck? This game looks even worse than I feared. Thank goodness for Bayonetta.

The King is dead. Long live the Queen.

Taiser

AndyMoogle said:
Just watched the trailer. It certainly looks like it has potential. Definitely much better art design than the older games.

EDIT: ^ :lol And old Dante isn't ugly? At least this new guy looks more evil, more like the Joker or something in that direction. Old Dante was just ugly and looked like a complete wuss.

5yt5af.jpg

Replicant said:
^Hey guys, we have Ninja Theory designer here!!!

You need to have your eyes checked. That's 10x better (at least) from whatever shit Ninja Theory came up with.
The bitter tears. I love them.

What is with that character model? It's like they wanted a dark hipster for a main character. I don't mind the change on setting that doesn't bother me but the character model? Yeah...

ezekial45

Banned
First off, i'm sure it could turn out to be a good game in it's own right. Ninja Theory is very talented, and the last thing they would do is make a bad game.

With that said, i'm VERY disappointed that it's a complete reboot. Also, the new Dante doesn't impress me either. He's exactly the opposite of the older Dante. Which isn't a good thing.

Again, i'm sure it could turn out good. After all, we still haven't seen enough of the game to completely judge it. But as a long time fan of the series, i'll be cautiously approaching this game once it comes out.

Btw, was that Andy Serkis talking in the trailer?

LordAzrael said:
Dude, it is subjective. New dante doesn't look ugly to me. At all. I'm assuming he does to you. But damn, ugly is not ugly. Seriously Kittonwy, this is one of the dumbest statements I've read from you, and I've read some doozies.

Oh, and thanks Segata for actually writing a good post replying to mine. I guess I WANT Ninja Theory to make a great game more than I believe they will.
And there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I think everyone here would be happy if Ninja Theory knocked this right out of the park and we got a kick-ass action game out of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
New character is cool as fuck. The bitching is expected.

Funny thing is, had DMC been a new franchise in 2010, you'd likely see the same kind of pseudo non-conformist ejaculation. Such is the gamer's zeitgeist of today. All cynics and skeptics with chisels.

Never liked Dante's design since the first game. Hopefully NT does the series justice.

Raxus

Cow Mengde said:
Huh? What fiasco?
They redesigned the character (slight backlash) and went back to the original Cole model for Infamous 2.

I really, really hate the new Dante design. Nothing was wrong with old Dante.

Parallax said:
Dude, i've been on an inafune hate trip for years, how have i not run into you until now?
we gotta team up for the greater cause bro

zoukka said:
Uhh launch titles are a different matter. And of course this game will sell badly if it ends up sucking. My point was, that this change in style won't cost them sales. Probably just the opposite. If the game is on par with the franchise.

Anyone remember the reception for young Dante in DMC3? He's fucking atrocious in trailers and cut-scenes.
no, they aren't, not to mention most of those games didn't make it to launch or even 6 months after that. and yes it will

whether they can make up for it by attracting harry potter rejects or twilight fangirls is something else

as far as gameplay goes, the trailer showed it to be slow - even though they were trying to hide it - besides the fact that it's running on ue3, it might be 30 fps and it's ninja theory. it's just going to suck dick, plain and simple

Oh man, I foresee another Sucker Punch fiasco coming.
if the megaman games have taught me anything, it's that capcom doesn't really listen to the fans. so no, this design really ain't changing. and obviously, neither is the developer behind this atrocity

ezekial45

Banned
I'd VERY much like to hear from Ninja Theory regarding this game. I want to hear exactly where they're going with this new game (and potentially the rest of the series).

vissione

Banned
zoukka said:

At least DMC3 had genre-defining gameplay. Even if the plot made little to no sense, it wasn't taking itself seriously, and cheese is always good when it's not serious. Now we have a bloke who is some kind of vampire pretty boy with some kind of voice inside and a lot of angst that we DON'T want to hear about. Last thing I want to do while doing my SSS combos is stop for a QTE and hear about his issues with the world and his likely redheaded girlfriend Trishko (who is no longer a clone of his mom, because that would be weird amirite).

Synless

I just watched the trailer. I like Ninja Theory so I'm not going to say the game will be bad, but what the fuck did they do to Dante?

V_Arnold

Segata Sanshiro said:
And there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I think everyone here would be happy if Ninja Theory knocked this right out of the park and we got a kick-ass action game out of it.

Actually, they already made up their minds about it, most of them would probably never touch it, and if they do, I can even imagine a DMC gettogether with fans who would do anything after starting the game including laughing, crying, citing jokes - except for seriously playing the game.

So while tear-age is fun and games, I am seriously shocked at the inability for change.

Kittonwy

Banned
THE Caffeinated said:
They reverted infamous 2's Cole design back to the original after everyone cried about it, though that's very unlikely to happen here.

LOL this is probably going to get way more backlash than Infamous 2's Cole, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to make design changes to please the established fanbase.

What. Is. This. Shit.

Why was this necessary? A complete fucking reboot? This isnt even Devil May Cry anymore! What happened to needing a white haired protagonist so much that he had white hair and looked like Dante for no reason? Now Dante looks like a fucking Twilight vampire!

Someone said that if the gameplay was good, we'd buy this. No, no we won't. This would have to be the greatest game ever made and nothing less for me to buy this with a peice of shit Dante. You know why? cause I've got Bayonetta now! If Devil May Cry is gonna be something I don't like from now on, I've got alternatives.

Fuckin emo hipster bullshit. At least make his hair fucking white. Might as well be some generic hack and slash as far as I'm concerned.

FreedomFrisbee said:
Someone said that if the gameplay was good, we'd by this. No, no we won't. This would have to be the greatest game ever made and nothing less for me to buy this with a peice of shit Dante.
Hahahahahaha, this thread keeps fucking delivering.

zoukka

Green Biker Dude said:
no, they aren't

Yes they definately are.

not to mention most of those games didn't make it to launch or even 6 months after that.

They also weren't tried franchises and Motorstorm sold WELL.

whether they can make up for it by attracting harry potter rejects or twilight fangirls is something else

as far as gameplay goes, the trailer showed it to be slow - even though they were trying to hide it - besides the fact that it's running on ue3, it might be 30 fps and it's ninja theory. it's just going to suck dick, plain and simple

Harry Potter and Twilight is marketed to the same age group as the DMC series. I see no problems there. And if you are somehow implying that DMC story is better than those two, then I don't know what to say. Maybe scream Kyrie in a shrieking voice?

And we can't say anything about the gameplay. UE is in many great games and if the framerate is 30 (source?), then the gameplay will be different. Morphing main weapon sounds nice.

NewFresh

Just watched the trailer.

I like it, I don't know why but after DMC4 left a bad taste I wouldnt mind seeing how this goes. Heavenly Sword was an ok game, and Enslaved is looking pretty good so I see nothing wrong with giving this a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom